Old 11-02-2019, 04:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Purging the freezer

On 2/10/2019 11:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/10/2019 10:22 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

You got that right, I have come across things in my life where I
think I just threw out the thing container and all because it
looked like a science experiment.* I'm more organized these days.

I imagine everyone that has a freezer has done that a couple of times.

For years we found the freezer to be very useful but not so much any
more.* Our lives have changed over the years so it is not utilized as much.

There are two of us instead of four, no teenage guests any more either.
We no longer freeze loads of veggies or fruits from the garden or at the
peak of the season from the farmer's market.

At your new place it's easy to get out to go shopping, too. Not like
you're going to be snowed in. Having to bundle up makes it less
inviting to go to the store, at least for me.

Retired, I have time to go to the market more often and track down the
bargains for the meal of the day.* No need to have a big inventory on
hand.* There are always a few choices though, a couple of different
meats, some seafood, and always chicken parts and a selection of
vegetables.

In the winter it's chuck roast, pork chops, chicken parts and
vegetables. Not so much when it's hot.

nancy

Old 11-02-2019, 04:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 Nancy Young wrote:
On 2/10/2019 9:07 PM, jmcquown wrote:

Absolutely!* And shuffling things around as you add new items to the
freezer.* Take what is in the back/bottom and move it towards the front.

Last fall when Ron took the express route off the roof and I had to
do all the food providing on top of everything else, I was happy to
mine the freezer. Nothing was really lost, being a side by side,
but I did get to arrange things by category (vegetables, meat) so
I knew what we had, and was happy to find containers of chili, sauce,
stuff like that to make my life simpler.

I found it much easier to keep the freezer neat when it was just
me putting food in there.

nancy

I mark the date on everything that goes in the freezer.
Also the only item my wife keeps in the freezer are her reusable ice
packs, on one of the door shelves. I do all the arranging and nothing
gets rearranged.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 09:08:33 -0500, Gary wrote:

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Jill McQuown wrote:
Ay yay yay! You didn't have a frost free freezer? I cannot imagine! I
have vague memories of having to chip ice out an old freezer on top of a
refrigerator.

Frost-free freezers aren't as good for long-term storage because they
warm up a little bit every defrost cycle.

And chest freezers are best for that because the cold air doesn't
fall out every time you open the freezer. The side-by-side are
the least efficient. Open freezer door and immediately all the
cold air goes right out onto the floor.

I have a frost=free freezer on top of fridge. Thought the entire
machine was dead...warm temps top and bottom. This was just about
5-6 weeks ago. Turned out that my "frost-free" finally did frost
up and was causing all the problems. I defrosted it and it works
now better than it has for years.

That problen will likely reoccur unless you do a through cleaning,
vacuum all the coils at the rear, and vaccum the compresssor
compartment. Then make sure that the little drip hole at the bottom
of the fridge under the bins is clear... spiders like to live there.
Pull out the evaporative drip pan and clean that too.

Brand is Whirlpool and it's a small and probably the cheapest one
they sold with freezer over fridge. I got it brand new about 25
years ago. Frost free all those years until last month.

Size: (outside dimensions) a 28" wide by 28" deep by 62" tall
Many here will gasp at size but it's been quite fine for me and
when daughter lived here.

Probably the most redeeming feature with a cheap appliance is...
no extra nonsense that can break. No icemaker and no digital
nonsense either.

This cute little Whirlpool is the Energizer Fridge, keeps going
and going..........

Old 11-02-2019, 05:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 12:31:43 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 11:35:34 -0500, wrote:

[...]

Ditto. I can send husband to freezer for something and tell him it is
located center left or far right or whatever. Nobody messes with my
organization.
Janet US

I'd never dream of restricting my husband's access to the freezer.
I'm as OCD as the next, but some accommodations must be made for
the marital state to flourish.

Cindy Hamilton

Old 11-02-2019, 08:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 4:08:18 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Jill McQuown wrote:
[...]

All you have to do is turn the refrigerator off every once in a while to defrost the coils. Sooner or later you might want to fix it. My guess is that your timer is no longer working. It's the gizmo that cycles the heater element on that defrosts your evaporator coils. If it's not your timer, it's likely that your heater coil is bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F2d7x5nDao
Old 11-02-2019, 10:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 11:23:48 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

Having used the chest freezer to store stuff while we waited for
the new freezer I realized how badly it was in need of defrosting
and purging. holy cow there is a lot of mysteries in there. There
are containers of stuff that I don't even know what they are.
There are several half loaves of very dried out old bread, old
yogurt containers with various soups and sauces.

Have you ever considered a Food Saver vacuum machine?

She's right. They work really well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CU73OMC

Look at the 4th tab with freezer times. While I don't do this with
lettuce or berries etc. (nor bread) I assure you the meat times are
accurate. The range is based on if you are using commercial level
bags, or cheapos from Walmart.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028JURDQ

Thats not the cheapest bags but the work well and it's 98 feet of
material which if you cut it a bit long, can be rinsed and reused with
a smaller item (to reduce landfill).

There's a decent looking unit out there for 150$. Mine is out of stock
right now but didn't cost much more in 2009 when we got it. Still
running fine.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 09:52:04 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

[...]

My wife doesn't cook and is very happy leaving ALL the cooking to me.
When we first met the very first time I went to her house there was a
package of chicken parts derosting in her kitchen sink, was defrosting
all day since early morning before she left for work. I tossed it in
the trash and drove to the closest market and bought a chicken for
dinner that night. She didn't even own respectable cookware.
Fortunately her gas oven worked so I prepared the best meal she and
her two kids ever ate.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 4:30:59 PM UTC-6, cshenk wrote:

wrote:

Have you ever considered a Food Saver vacuum machine?

She's right. They work really well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CU73OMC

I bought mine at Bed, Bath, and Beyond about 6 years ago and used a 20% off
coupon.

Look at the 4th tab with freezer times. While I don't do this with
lettuce or berries etc. (nor bread) I assure you the meat times are
accurate. The range is based on if you are using commercial level
bags, or cheapos from Walmart.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028JURDQ

Thats not the cheapest bags but the work well and it's 98 feet of
material which if you cut it a bit long, can be rinsed and reused with
a smaller item (to reduce landfill).

I buy my rolls at Bed, Bath, and Beyond as well. A box of 2-ll inch rolls is
$19.95 and if you use one of their $5.00 coupons that brings the price down
a good bit. And like you said, cut the bags long and they can reused again
and again until there is practically nothing left. Someone here buys/bought
their roll off eBay; LONG rolls.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

The first time I went to his house, he fed me Caesar salad, blackened
roughy, steamed broccoli, and (IIRC) rice.

He's a Renaissance man, and I wouldn't have him any other way. Stove,
sewing machine, lathe; it's all good to him.

Cindy Hamilton

New freezer Silvar Beitel[_3_] General Cooking 237 14-10-2018 08:28 AM
What is in your freezer? zxcvbob Preserving 2 16-11-2009 07:39 PM
Freezer jam [email protected] General Cooking 4 30-04-2007 10:13 PM
carboy purging treetoad Winemaking 6 08-03-2005 02:05 AM
Suggestions for replacing a dead Sub-Zero freezer (besides a _new_Sub-Zero freezer...) Ted Goldblatt Cooking Equipment 2 28-08-2004 01:23 PM