Old 11-02-2019, 11:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Caraway rye with cinnamon

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 2:53:24 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:32:33 -0600, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 02:55:39 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

I made my usual recipe but put cinnamon in it at the request of

my gardener. I used about a teaspoon for what made 6 round
loaves of about 8-9 inches across. Smelled fantastic as it
baked. Tasted even better! I would not have thought of that
combination. Tastes like something you might eat for breakfast.
Yum!

Ewwwww.

Aren't cinnamon buns big in the US? Why would cinnamon bread be so
bad then?

Caraway rye bread with cinnamon? Very unusual.

OTOH, my bakery does a raisin rye bread (probably without either
caraway or cinnamon). I've never tried it.

Cindy Hamilton

I suspect they might add Cinnamon to lift the Raisin flavor a bit.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...
Julie Bove wrote:

Nope. My family here is me. But I do give bread to others. And this stuff
seems to freeze well.

But...you have told us for years, Julie...you don't like frozen
bread.

Right. But the texture of this didn't seem to change. However, it was only
in there for perhaps 6 hours. That's how fast the others got eaten.

Speaking of frozen bread. I bought a loaf of Nature's Own 5 grain
bread about 3-4 years ago. Seriously, that long ago. It was never
opened - went from the store to my freezer.

Well, I finally tried it a couple of weeks ago. Toasted it and it
was just as tasty as a fresh loaf.

I tried that brand once. It went to my gardener's goats. Did not care for it
at all.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 6:06 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message

Well, I finally tried it a couple of weeks ago. Toasted it and it
was just as tasty as a fresh loaf.

I tried that brand once. It went to my gardener's goats. Did not care
for it at all.

Your gardener has goats? I guess that explain the lack of interest.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

Julie Bove wrote:

Nope. My family here is me. But I do give bread to others. And this
stuff seems to freeze well.

But...you have told us for years, Julie...you don't like frozen
bread.

Speaking of frozen bread. I bought a loaf of Nature's Own 5 grain
bread about 3-4 years ago. Seriously, that long ago. It was never
opened - went from the store to my freezer.

Well, I finally tried it a couple of weeks ago. Toasted it and it
was just as tasty as a fresh loaf.

Could you be mixing her with me on that one? Sasebo and only bread was
frozen stateside or make your own. THats when I starting making ALL of
ours except the crackers and such.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:37:16 -0600, cshenk wrote:

Gary wrote:

Julie Bove wrote:

I made my usual recipe but put cinnamon in it at the request
of my gardener. I used about a teaspoon for what made 6
round loaves of about 8-9 inches across. Smelled fantastic as
it baked. Tasted even better! I would not have thought of
that combination. Tastes like something you might eat for
breakfast. Yum!

Great that it worked out but you crack me up.
You've turned into Sheldon....making large navy batches of food.

It sounded weird to you yet you made 6 loaves?
Good darn thing that it actually turned out good.
Another factor is that YOU actually liked it. That's rare.

It still sounds a bit odd to me. I'll just keep on using plain
rye bread and if I want cinnamon on it, I'll add it to a toasted
piece.

That is a lot of bread for her family.

Family? I suspect what she has now is some sort of cult
arrangement.

Nope. My family here is me. But I do give bread to others. And this
stuff seems to freeze well.

No problem! We do it much more often but smaller loads.

I'm upping the baking cycles just now. On NextDoor is a local friend
wih very limited income. I'm making him a 1-2lb load a week. I'll
probably be doing that for a year or more.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 6:06 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message

Well, I finally tried it a couple of weeks ago. Toasted it and it
was just as tasty as a fresh loaf.

I tried that brand once. It went to my gardener's goats. Did not care for
it at all.

Your gardener has goats? I guess that explain the lack of interest.

He has all sorts of animals. I have mentioned the goats before. They eat
weeds and blackberries.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message
news
Gary wrote:

Julie Bove wrote:

Nope. My family here is me. But I do give bread to others. And this
stuff seems to freeze well.

But...you have told us for years, Julie...you don't like frozen
bread.

Speaking of frozen bread. I bought a loaf of Nature's Own 5 grain
bread about 3-4 years ago. Seriously, that long ago. It was never
opened - went from the store to my freezer.

Well, I finally tried it a couple of weeks ago. Toasted it and it
was just as tasty as a fresh loaf.

Could you be mixing her with me on that one? Sasebo and only bread was
frozen stateside or make your own. THats when I starting making ALL of
ours except the crackers and such.

No. I said that I don't like bread that has been frozen and I generally
don't. But this was fine after being frozen. Granted it was only frozen for
less than a day.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Gary wrote:

Julie Bove wrote:

[...]

3 loaves already gone. I had perhaps half of one. Probably not quite half.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

"Dave Smith" wrote:
Your gardener has goats? I guess that explain the lack of interest.

He has all sorts of animals. I have mentioned the goats before. They eat
weeds and blackberries.

Since he lives with you, do his goats also live in your backyard?
send.pics
Old 12-02-2019, 08:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-12 1:46 p.m., Gary wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:

"Dave Smith" wrote:
Your gardener has goats? I guess that explain the lack of interest.

He has all sorts of animals. I have mentioned the goats before. They eat
weeds and blackberries.

Since he lives with you, do his goats also live in your backyard?
send.pics

They probably share his bed.

Old 13-02-2019, 03:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10:55 10 Feb 2019, "Julie Bove" wrote:

I made my usual recipe but put cinnamon in it at the request of my
gardener. I used about a teaspoon for what made 6 round loaves of about
8-9 inches across. Smelled fantastic as it baked. Tasted even better! I
would not have thought of that combination. Tastes like something you
might eat for breakfast. Yum!

Sounds interesting. Am a fan of caraway rye.

Doesn't the taste of cinnamon conflict with the caraway?
Old 13-02-2019, 08:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...
Julie Bove wrote:

"Dave Smith" wrote:
Your gardener has goats? I guess that explain the lack of interest.

He has all sorts of animals. I have mentioned the goats before. They eat
weeds and blackberries.

Since he lives with you, do his goats also live in your backyard?
send.pics

No. I think currently they are in two different locations. He wants to bring
two over here. I said he could but modifications to the yard will be needed.

Caraway Rye Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 23 16-01-2019 06:05 PM
Caraway soup biig General Cooking 3 03-10-2005 01:25 PM
Baby Potatoes with Caraway Carrot Filling T & J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 06-07-2005 03:44 AM
caraway or cumin Wazza Asian Cooking 21 15-04-2005 11:30 AM
Caraway seed substitue Doe John General Cooking 19 30-03-2004 01:33 AM