Old 11-02-2019, 07:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Question about whistling tea kettles

All this talk of electric kettles and stove tops....wouldn't a microwave use less energy and be
faster?

N.

Old 11-02-2019, 07:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:43:55 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 8:18:30 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
wrote:

We use an electric tea kettle too,

Another fool....spending extra money just to boil a cup or two of
water. LOL.

There's a cultural aspect to this electric kettle thing. My guess is that
many homes in the UK will have one of those and it's similar to how the
Japanese will have automatic rice cookers. The ones that I saw in the UK was
just spiffy. It used induction heating and could boil water fast because
they operate at a higher wattage than American - 3000W!

The Japanese also like to have hot water on hand. They favor insulated
vacuum pots rather than the ones the Brits use. These pots are probably
popular because these cultures are likely to drink tea at any time of the
day. Americans don't use these things because they drink coffee. They mostly
make coffee in the morning or purchase coffee when they need to during the
day. You think they're stupid because you're not a tea drinker.

==

We don't drink tea, but D does drink instant coffee. We do have an electric
kettle AND an electric rice cooker)))

In the US, the hotel rooms will usually have a drip coffee maker. Not so in the UK. Luckily, we had plenty of hot water and that instant coffee stuff was really appreciated! We drank a lot of it.

We have an electric kettle in a box in the kitchen. My daughter must have gotten that one. I have no idea what we can do with it since I only boil water in the mornings. To boil water, I use a saucepan - odd as that seems. My inventory is one electric kettle in a box and zero rice cooker. That's kind of messed up.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/11/2019 2:07 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
All this talk of electric kettles and stove tops....wouldn't a microwave use less energy and be
faster?

N.

Yes, but I never do. If I boil it in the cup and add tea, it does not
have quite the same flavor as pouring the boiling water over the tea
leaves. Suppose I could boil in one cup and pour into another.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed, when I want to boil water in the microwave, I put the water in a 2-cup measure (or larger)
and then pour it into the cup I am drinking out of. ;-))

N.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

---

lol each to his/her own as they say))

Btw just to boast here a wee bittie ... I have 3 rice cookers g At home a
small one and a large one, and one small one at the caravan)

Old 11-02-2019, 11:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

It's odd that I have no automatic rice cooker. Looks like I'm up a creek without a rice paddle. That's the breaks. I used to be into my cheap cooker. It's quite a versatile device. It only has two speeds but it I could do a lot with it. Now, I must journey through life without my beloved rice cooker but someday, perhaps, we shall meet again.

https://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-jo...-how-to-use-it
Old 11-02-2019, 11:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Don and I drink tea at home. Regular kettle though on the stove works
for us.

I always would see my granny with those vacuum bottles thingies. They're called "air pots." It seemed to be quite a cumbersome thing when I was a little boy. Obviously, it was an artifact of a culture that valued hot water.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 5:25:48 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

I always would see my granny with those vacuum bottles thingies. They're called "air pots." It seemed to be quite a cumbersome thing when I was a little boy. Obviously, it was an artifact of a culture that valued hot water.

I was on jury duty a few years ago and all of us prospective jurors sat in large
room. They used two Bunn coffee makers that brewed directly into these 'air
pots.' It was great idea to keep the coffee hot without it sitting on a burner
to burn the brew. However, two of these pots were not enough to satisfy the
yearnings of 50-60 people. I craned my neck to see how one of the court clerks
took the pot apart to make the coffee. After that when the pots were quickly
drained dry by the other prospective jurors I made coffee and I was a popular
girl that day for sure. Hahahahaaaaa

Old 12-02-2019, 12:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 1:45:43 PM UTC-10, wrote:
On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 5:25:48 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

I always would see my granny with those vacuum bottles thingies. They're called "air pots." It seemed to be quite a cumbersome thing when I was a little boy. Obviously, it was an artifact of a culture that valued hot water.

I was on jury duty a few years ago and all of us prospective jurors sat in large
room. They used two Bunn coffee makers that brewed directly into these 'air
pots.' It was great idea to keep the coffee hot without it sitting on a burner
to burn the brew. However, two of these pots were not enough to satisfy the
yearnings of 50-60 people. I craned my neck to see how one of the court clerks
took the pot apart to make the coffee. After that when the pots were quickly
drained dry by the other prospective jurors I made coffee and I was a popular
girl that day for sure. Hahahahaaaaa

Thanks to your quick thinking, OJ got himself acquitted!
Old 12-02-2019, 01:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/11/2019 3:39 PM, Nancy2 wrote:

Ed, when I want to boil water in the microwave, I put the water in a 2-cup measure (or larger)
and then pour it into the cup I am drinking out of. ;-))

N.

I'm going to try that. Makes sense.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

PING: itsjoan....the video is not the one I keep looking for, but is one version of the Johnstown
Flood i haven't seen. I haven't watched it yet, but although it doesn't list any actors, it does list
a "photographer." It is narrated by Len Cariou, and is only 30 minutes long. But I am not sorry
to have it. Thanks. ;-))

N.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:43:35 PM UTC-6, Nancy2 wrote:

PING: itsjoan....the video is not the one I keep looking for, but is one version of the Johnstown
Flood i haven't seen. I haven't watched it yet, but although it doesn't list any actors, it does list
a "photographer." It is narrated by Len Cariou, and is only 30 minutes long. But I am not sorry
to have it. Thanks. ;-))

N.

Well dang it, I'm sorry it's not the one you are wanting. But I hope this
is well made.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

=

Hey! That looks exactly the same as my two small ones)))) Yes, they
were cheap but they are perfect for me) er what else do rice cookers do?

I certainly don't use them for anything else!

Anyway, why not buy to a new one?? Go on .. treat yourself))

Question about electric kettles.. Rainy Tea 5 07-10-2008 05:16 AM
My Whistling Video Perk Rhymes Wit Jerk Off Rhymes Wit Cough General Cooking 4 13-04-2008 09:11 PM
Kettles Bluesea Tea 6 11-02-2005 05:04 AM
Whistling Pie Bird? Les Stewart General Cooking 11 26-06-2004 11:28 PM
Electric Kettles Mike Petro Tea 25 20-01-2004 04:44 AM