Old 10-02-2019, 09:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I ordered a new rhubarb

Boron Elgar wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 12:00:59 -0700, U.S. Janet B.
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 19:21:22 -0500, Boron Elgar
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 14:59:18 -0700, U.S. Janet B.
wrote:

After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
really broad stalks and lots of them
I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.

I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.
https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
themselves are throw aways.

I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
pie and kuchen.

Janet US

I have never tasted rhubarb.

Well, there are a lot of things that I haven't tasted. I like sour
things. As a child, we would pull a stalk of rhubarb, sprinkle it
with salt and eat it. (we also ate green apples the same way)
Janet US

I am willing to taste most everything when presented with it, but just
never had the opportunity with rhubarb.

The only rubarb I had was pie, and it was so cloyingly sweet, I'll never
forget it. I couldn't taste anything but sugar sugar sugar.

Maybe I just got a bad example, so I would try it again if anybody
offered it. I doesn't seem popular locally, so I may never have another
chance. That's OK tho, lots of other pies ... cherry, lemon, choc etc.

Old 11-02-2019, 05:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 04:42:53 -0500, Gary wrote:

Nancy2 wrote:

I am not fond of any adulteration of rhubarb pie....but love just plain rhubarb with
a flaky, tasty bottom crust and a lattice pastry top crust.

Our Blue-Ribbon Barb posted a rhubarb cake (kind of a simple "dump"' cake years
ago, and it is spectacularly easy and very good. Do a Google group search and I
bet you can find it. (I don't have it handy, or I would post it.)

She has it on the RFC site.

Signature dish page is -
http://www.recfoodcooking.org/signature.php

Direct link to that recipe -
http://www.recfoodcooking.org/sigs/B...rd%20Cake.html

I've made that rhubarb custard cake, and it is delicious. Even rhubarb
haters enjoy it.

Doris
Old 12-02-2019, 08:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I once had rhubarb and it came a bad hail storm, I don't think it ever did recover.
Old 14-02-2019, 12:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I didn't say it died.
Old 14-02-2019, 03:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-14 7:38 a.m., wrote:
I didn't say it died.

You said you didn't think it ever recovered.

Just ordered a new cookbook Bryan-TGWWW General Cooking 16 07-02-2014 03:43 PM
Barb's Rhubarb Custard Cake: FROZEN RHUBARB? Lynn from Fargo General Cooking 13 26-10-2009 05:37 PM
Just ordered the new PC nemo Vegan 2 22-03-2007 05:55 AM
Just ordered new mobile pit D. Shelton Barbecue 0 01-11-2003 08:59 PM