Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I ordered a new rhubarb

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 07:16:46 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Roy" wrote in message
>
>On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 6:46:18 PM UTC-7, Bruce wrote:

>> >I have. Once. I have no idea why anyone would grow it but it seems
>> >popular in some regions.

>> It's too sour to eat on its own, so you have to add a lot of sugar to
>> make it edible. Sounds pretty useless to me. I think it's popular in
>> merry old England.

>Rhubarb is a wonderful plant. Those who grew up with it appreciate it and
>make
>all kinds of wonderful pies, tarts, puddings, etc., from it.
>A bit of reading and trial and error will convince even the most doubtful
>Thomas of its worth.
>======
>
>Yes, it's lovely in pies etc

See?

==

See what??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 07:17:44 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 18:53:26 -0800 (PST), Roy >
>wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 6:46:18 PM UTC-7, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> It's too sour to eat on its own, so you have to add a lot of sugar to
>>> make it edible. Sounds pretty useless to me. I think it's popular in
>>> merry old England.

>>Rhubarb is a wonderful plant. Those who grew up with it appreciate it and
>>make
>>all kinds of wonderful pies, tarts, puddings, etc., from it.
>>A bit of reading and trial and error will convince even the most doubtful
>>Thomas of its worth.
>>======

>I think rhubarb's an Anglo hobby. To each culture their own. Enjoy!
>
>--
>
>Well given that the USians are talking about it, don't you think you might
>be wrong?? Hmmm???

But they're your colony!

---
LOL certainly not all of them

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:11:45 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 14:59:18 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
>> >really broad stalks and lots of them
>> > I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
>> >were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
>> >
>> >I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
>> >blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.
>> >https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
>> >Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
>> >that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
>> >stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
>> >themselves are throw aways.
>> >
>> >I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
>> >pie and kuchen.
>> >
>> >Janet US

>> I have never tasted rhubarb.

> You're missing an oldfashioned treat.

Anglo treat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
> > really broad stalks and lots of them
> > I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
> > were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
> >
> > I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
> > blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.

https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
> > Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
> > that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
> > stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
> > themselves are throw aways.

> I just pull them off as soon as I spot them.
>
> This morning I noticed new buds on my rhubarb, and put a big pot over
> it to force some tender early stems.
>
> My grandfather taught me to dig a really big planting pit for rhubarb
> and fill it with a lot of biodegradable material that will decay slowly
> over years providing a longterm food supply. I use manure, roadkill,
> bones abandoned by dog, old leather (boots, belts, bags) and old wool
> (blankets, sheep fleece,clothes).

Peat moss is another good thing for a garden. I've always used it
to mix in and break up hard sandy soil but one year I added way
too much and it was overkill. Each year though, as it slowly
broke down, the soil got better and better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Thank you, Gary, for posting the link to Barb's rhubarb recipe.
>
> N.

You're quite welcome Nancy. I was pretty sure I had seen it there
and it was. While I looked last night, I had some free time so I
looked at ALL of those signature dishes. I didn't click on every
recipe but I did look at the list of them and did check out
several.

I recommend that everyone here take a few moments to look at all
the old recipes offered from various RFC posters in the past.
Some have pics included but not all. It's interesting just to
browse through.
- http://www.recfoodcooking.org/signature.php

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 14:56:30 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 07:17:44 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 18:53:26 -0800 (PST), Roy >
>>wrote:

>>>Rhubarb is a wonderful plant. Those who grew up with it appreciate it and
>>>make
>>>all kinds of wonderful pies, tarts, puddings, etc., from it.
>>>A bit of reading and trial and error will convince even the most doubtful
>>>Thomas of its worth.
>>>======

>>I think rhubarb's an Anglo hobby. To each culture their own. Enjoy!
>>
>>--
>>
>>Well given that the USians are talking about it, don't you think you might
>>be wrong?? Hmmm???

>But they're your colony!
>
>---
>LOL certainly not all of them

No, but the dominant strain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 14:55:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 07:16:46 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Roy" wrote in message

>>> It's too sour to eat on its own, so you have to add a lot of sugar to
>>> make it edible. Sounds pretty useless to me. I think it's popular in
>>> merry old England.

>>Rhubarb is a wonderful plant. Those who grew up with it appreciate it and
>>make
>>all kinds of wonderful pies, tarts, puddings, etc., from it.
>>A bit of reading and trial and error will convince even the most doubtful
>>Thomas of its worth.
>>======
>>
>>Yes, it's lovely in pies etc

>See?
>
>==
>
>See what??

Two English (or English background) people agreeing on the merits of
rhubarb.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:11:45 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 14:59:18 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
>> >really broad stalks and lots of them
>> > I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
>> >were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
>> >
>> >I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
>> >blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.
>> >https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
>> >Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
>> >that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
>> >stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
>> >themselves are throw aways.
>> >
>> >I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
>> >pie and kuchen.
>> >
>> >Janet US

>> I have never tasted rhubarb.

> You're missing an oldfashioned treat.
>
> Janet UK

It is more happenstance than deliberate choice. I've never come across
it in any dish I've been offered or could order, so I was far less
likely to purchase any and try to reproduce a taste or flavor at home.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Nancy2 wrote:

> Thank you, Gary, for posting the link to Barb's rhubarb recipe.
>
> N.

Nancy2, Aledo, a small town in Western IL (just east of you) has a very successful and popular "Rhubarb Fest":

http://www.aledorhubarbfest.com/

"Aledo Rhubarb Fest!

Friday, June 7th & Saturday, June 8th, 2019

This unique festival, which is celebrating our 28th year, will feature more than 3,000 homemade Rhubarb Pies for sale, Rhubarb Sampling, 12,000 free Rhubarb seeds given away, crafts, music, entertainment and more all set in our historic downtown. Were so serious about our Rhubarb that former Governor Pat Quinn officially named Aledo the Rhubarb Capital of Illinois!...

Pictured is Rhubarb Festival Founder Darlene Johnson at her €śThank You/Retirement Party€ť held in August of 2016. Johnson founded the festival in 1990 as a way to draw people to the area and to her cousins shop, the House of Burgess in Aledo. It started off as a simple idea. That first year Mrs. Johnson and her cousin, Barbara McWhorter offered samples of 13 Rhubarb dishes on the front lawn of the House of Burgess. That first Rhubarb Festival drew 67 people. Darlene felt she was on to something so she gathered volunteers and together, under Johnsons leadership, the Rhubarb Festival has blossomed into a 2 day event that draws 8,000-10,000 people to our little charming town. The Festival has become so well known, former governor Pat Quinn declared Aledo the Rhubarb Capital of Illinois and visitors have been known to say they plan their summer vacation around the little towns festival! Mrs. Johnson said theyve had visitors from about 20 states, including California, Texas, Colorado, Nebraska and Missouri. The Rhubarb Festival Committee and the City of Aledo are very grateful for the tremendous impact Darlene has had on our community. In 2016, Darlene retired as Chairperson of the committee but still plays an active role in volunteering. Aledo native and long time Rhubarb Festival volunteer, Pam Myers has stepped up to assume responsibilities as the 2017 Rhubarb Festival Chair..."

There is also a Recipe Contest, here is the flyer:

http://www.aledorhubarbfest.com/wp-c...L-132476-5.pdf

In past rural days, rhubarb was often planted adjacent to outhouses, that way the plants received a steady supply of "nutrients" ;-)

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 07:16:46 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Roy" wrote in message

>>> It's too sour to eat on its own, so you have to add a lot of sugar to
>>> make it edible. Sounds pretty useless to me. I think it's popular in
>>> merry old England.

>>Rhubarb is a wonderful plant. Those who grew up with it appreciate it and
>>make
>>all kinds of wonderful pies, tarts, puddings, etc., from it.
>>A bit of reading and trial and error will convince even the most doubtful
>>Thomas of its worth.
>>======
>>
>>Yes, it's lovely in pies etc

>See?
>
>==
>
>See what??

Two English (or English background) people agreeing on the merits of
rhubarb.
==

Ahh I see. So how do you account for other people agreeing too?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 07:17:44 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 18:53:26 -0800 (PST), Roy >
>>wrote:

>>>Rhubarb is a wonderful plant. Those who grew up with it appreciate it and
>>>make
>>>all kinds of wonderful pies, tarts, puddings, etc., from it.
>>>A bit of reading and trial and error will convince even the most doubtful
>>>Thomas of its worth.
>>>======

>>I think rhubarb's an Anglo hobby. To each culture their own. Enjoy!
>>
>>--
>>
>>Well given that the USians are talking about it, don't you think you might
>>be wrong?? Hmmm???

>But they're your colony!
>
>---
>LOL certainly not all of them

No, but the dominant strain

=

You should ask them, not me)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 18:03:17 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 14:55:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 07:16:46 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:

>>>Rhubarb is a wonderful plant. Those who grew up with it appreciate it and
>>>make
>>>all kinds of wonderful pies, tarts, puddings, etc., from it.
>>>A bit of reading and trial and error will convince even the most doubtful
>>>Thomas of its worth.
>>>======
>>>
>>>Yes, it's lovely in pies etc

>>See?
>>
>>==
>>
>>See what??

>Two English (or English background) people agreeing on the merits of
>rhubarb.
>==
>
>Ahh I see. So how do you account for other people agreeing too?

There's always a stray sheep.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Nancy2 wrote:
> >
> > Thank you, Gary, for posting the link to Barb's rhubarb recipe.
> >
> > N.

> You're quite welcome Nancy. I was pretty sure I had seen it there
> and it was. While I looked last night, I had some free time so I
> looked at ALL of those signature dishes. I didn't click on every
> recipe but I did look at the list of them and did check out
> several.
>
> I recommend that everyone here take a few moments to look at all
> the old recipes offered from various RFC posters in the past.
> Some have pics included but not all. It's interesting just to
> browse through.
> - http://www.recfoodcooking.org/signature.php

Smile, I forgot that page was there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 19:21:22 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 14:59:18 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>

>>After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
>>really broad stalks and lots of them
>> I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
>>were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
>>
>>I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
>>blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.
>>https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
>>Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
>>that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
>>stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
>>themselves are throw aways.
>>
>>I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
>>pie and kuchen.
>>
>>Janet US

>I have never tasted rhubarb.

Well, there are a lot of things that I haven't tasted. I like sour
things. As a child, we would pull a stalk of rhubarb, sprinkle it
with salt and eat it. (we also ate green apples the same way)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 04:42:53 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>> I am not fond of any adulteration of rhubarb pie....but love just plain rhubarb with
>> a flaky, tasty bottom crust and a lattice pastry top crust.
>>
>> Our Blue-Ribbon Barb posted a rhubarb cake (kind of a simple "dump"' cake years
>> ago, and it is spectacularly easy and very good. Do a Google group search and I
>> bet you can find it. (I don't have it handy, or I would post it.)

>She has it on the RFC site.
>
>Signature dish page is -
>http://www.recfoodcooking.org/signature.php
>
>Direct link to that recipe -
>http://www.recfoodcooking.org/sigs/B...rd%20Cake.html

thanks Gary for posting that. I missed ever seeing that.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 19:12:17 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Janet, I find it unusual your rhubarb died...it has been my experience that you can do anything
>to the plants and they never die. ;-))
>
>Mine used to produce blossom stalks, but I just cut those off or pulled them out, and would
>have rhubarb most of the spring and summer. Although the early stuff was the best.
>
>Have you ever had rhubarb sauce on chocolate cake? I had a neighbor who asked for that
>dessert every year on his birthday. It's pretty tasty.
>
>N.

My neighbor encouraged a tree to grow at the fence line and the roots
eventually stole all the water and nutrients from the rhubarb. I
don't know it that was the cause or not. Yes, I know you can pull the
blossom stalks, except, that was all this newer plant produced -- one
after another, after another. It was like this rhubarb was intended
to be a flowering plant. I'm done. I want a real rhubarb before I
get too old to go to the garden and pick some.
Never heard of rhubarb sauce on chocolate cake. I think I can see it
on a really rich chocolate cake.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:09:45 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
>says...
>>
>> After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
>> really broad stalks and lots of them
>> I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
>> were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
>>
>> I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
>> blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.

https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
>> Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
>> that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
>> stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
>> themselves are throw aways.

> I just pull them off as soon as I spot them.
>
> This morning I noticed new buds on my rhubarb, and put a big pot over
>it to force some tender early stems.
>
> My grandfather taught me to dig a really big planting pit for rhubarb
>and fill it with a lot of biodegradable material that will decay slowly
>over years providing a longterm food supply. I use manure, roadkill,
>bones abandoned by dog, old leather (boots, belts, bags) and old wool
>(blankets, sheep fleece,clothes).
>
> Janet UK

We did all that for planting the last rhubarb. Bushels of manure,
bushels of compost and run soaker hose to the plant (we need soaker
hoses here in my climate) That stubborn plant insisted on blossom
stalks. I read all the stuff I could to be a good rhubarb parent to
no avail. Now I find out that some rhubarb varieties are more
inclined to produce blossom stalks. I just want a plant like I first
had that lasted 25-30 years that gave huge, wide, red stalks. I
wasted a lot of years on that stupid plant. Now it goes
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have three quince bushes that are in front of my front steps. They bear fruit, but my
dad is,the only person I ever knew to make quince jelly. I think it is very tasty.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 14:55:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 07:16:46 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:

>>>Rhubarb is a wonderful plant. Those who grew up with it appreciate it and
>>>make
>>>all kinds of wonderful pies, tarts, puddings, etc., from it.
>>>A bit of reading and trial and error will convince even the most doubtful
>>>Thomas of its worth.
>>>======
>>>
>>>Yes, it's lovely in pies etc

>>See?
>>
>>==
>>
>>See what??

>Two English (or English background) people agreeing on the merits of
>rhubarb.
>==
>
>Ahh I see. So how do you account for other people agreeing too?

There's always a stray sheep.

--

lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 12:00:59 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 19:21:22 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 14:59:18 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
>>>really broad stalks and lots of them
>>> I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
>>>were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
>>>
>>>I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
>>>blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.
>>>https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
>>>Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
>>>that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
>>>stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
>>>themselves are throw aways.
>>>
>>>I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
>>>pie and kuchen.
>>>
>>>Janet US

>>I have never tasted rhubarb.

>Well, there are a lot of things that I haven't tasted. I like sour
>things. As a child, we would pull a stalk of rhubarb, sprinkle it
>with salt and eat it. (we also ate green apples the same way)
>Janet US

I am willing to taste most everything when presented with it, but just
never had the opportunity with rhubarb.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 12:00:59 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 19:21:22 -0500, Boron Elgar
>> > wrote:

>>> I have never tasted rhubarb.

>> Well, there are a lot of things that I haven't tasted. I like sour
>> things. As a child, we would pull a stalk of rhubarb, sprinkle it
>> with salt and eat it. (we also ate green apples the same way)
>> Janet US

> I am willing to taste most everything when presented with it, but just
> never had the opportunity with rhubarb.

The only rubarb I had was pie, and it was so cloyingly sweet, I'll never
forget it. I couldn't taste anything but sugar sugar sugar.

Maybe I just got a bad example, so I would try it again if anybody
offered it. I doesn't seem popular locally, so I may never have another
chance. That's OK tho, lots of other pies ... cherry, lemon, choc etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 04:42:53 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>> I am not fond of any adulteration of rhubarb pie....but love just plain rhubarb with
>> a flaky, tasty bottom crust and a lattice pastry top crust.
>>
>> Our Blue-Ribbon Barb posted a rhubarb cake (kind of a simple "dump"' cake years
>> ago, and it is spectacularly easy and very good. Do a Google group search and I
>> bet you can find it. (I don't have it handy, or I would post it.)

>She has it on the RFC site.
>
>Signature dish page is -
>http://www.recfoodcooking.org/signature.php
>
>Direct link to that recipe -
>http://www.recfoodcooking.org/sigs/B...rd%20Cake.html

I've made that rhubarb custard cake, and it is delicious. Even rhubarb
haters enjoy it.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I once had rhubarb and it came a bad hail storm, I don't think it ever did recover.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I didn't say it died.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-14 7:38 a.m., wrote:
> I didn't say it died.

You said you didn't think it ever recovered.

Just ordered a new cookbook Bryan-TGWWW General Cooking 16 07-02-2014 03:43 PM
Barb's Rhubarb Custard Cake: FROZEN RHUBARB? Lynn from Fargo General Cooking 13 26-10-2009 05:37 PM
Just ordered the new PC nemo Vegan 2 22-03-2007 05:55 AM
Just ordered new mobile pit D. Shelton Barbecue 0 01-11-2003 08:59 PM