Old 11-02-2019, 12:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default got new stuff

On 2019-02-10 6:57 p.m., wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 1:21:19 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

I went back and reviewed the Amazon reviews. There are far fewer
negative reports than positive and the positive are not all from
people who just took CC out of the box. I read negative comments with
a jaundiced eye. There are always people out there who can't find
there butt with two hands.
Janet US

Ain't that the truth!!

A year or two ago I listened to a program on the radio about the
business of rating products, services and restaurants online. After
hearing that I have little faith in online reviews.

FWIW, a couple months ago I bought a Dyson V10 cordless vacuum. I
looked at the reviews and most of them were very positive. The only
negative I remember was a complaint about battery life. I have to say
that I am impressed with the thing sucks up dirt and dog hair. One of my
complaints, that no one else mentioned, is that the canister fills up so
quickly. Then there is the blockages. When it gets into areas with a
lot of dog hair it clogs up near the power head and sometimes by the end
of the canister. Then the filter clogs up. If there is blockage at any
of these three you have to take it apart and clean it out.The filter has
to be taken out, cleaned out, rinsed and then dried. It takes a minimum
of 24 hours to dry it out enough. There is a safety override that makes
the motor cut out when it gets overloaded it, so you can't even run it
to such air through the filter to dry it out. It gets frustrating to
have to go through each step trying to figure out which part is causing
the problem, and then that long wait. I don't think I could vacuum the
hole house in one shot. The battery is supposed to last 25 minutes on
high power, which should be enough for a quick once over, but it will
clog up before the battery runs down. Then I will have to clean the
filter and wait a day to finish. I want to know why no one mentioned that.

Old 11-02-2019, 01:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 19:49:03 -0500, Dave Smith
wrote:

On 2019-02-10 6:57 p.m., wrote:
[...]

what you describe happens to my Shark as well. I thought I was
getting rid of the old canister vac but instead I use the canister
where I know there will be a lot of hair just to avoid having to do
the cleaning emptying you describe. I am impressed with how well the
Shark gets dust and stuff out of the carpet but the little bitty
canister fills so fast.
Janet US
Old 11-02-2019, 02:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On 2019-02-10 6:57 p.m., wrote:
[...]

Yoose guys need a shop-vac.

Old 11-02-2019, 03:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2019 12:06 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 08:03:05 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:

On a whim I picked up a set of 3 Tramontina at (drumroll) Costco
last week. Jury is out, I hope they work out. They were next
to the Copperwhatever as seen on tv set. I just assumed they
probably don't last, guess I'm put off by those kinds of commercials.

I'm using the Tramontina right now - have been for 2 years. Still
good as new. I accidentally threw away the small one.

I could send you mine! It's on the Goodwill pile. I never use it.

Set it in
the garbage to drain the oil in the pan (given 45 minutes, every
last spec of oil will run off the pan). but somebody else covered
it up with trash and I took it out to the trash the next day. I
realized what was happening just as I heard the trash truck pulled
up outside. Oops!

Ouch. It seemed like a great place to drain it, too! Heh.

nancy
Old 11-02-2019, 04:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 22:35:29 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:

On 2/10/2019 12:06 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 08:03:05 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:

On a whim I picked up a set of 3 Tramontina at (drumroll) Costco
last week. Jury is out, I hope they work out. They were next
to the Copperwhatever as seen on tv set. I just assumed they
probably don't last, guess I'm put off by those kinds of commercials.

I'm using the Tramontina right now - have been for 2 years. Still
good as new. I accidentally threw away the small one.

I could send you mine! It's on the Goodwill pile. I never use it.

Never use it? It's perfect for two eggs. I'm jut gonna buy a
cheapie. Or maybe even another 3-pack at Costco. Save the other
two for a decade from now.

-sw

Old 11-02-2019, 02:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

I have the V8 and it operates flawlessly. Every morning I just run
it around where it looks necessary after I do the litter box, when I
go through the kitchen I make a point of emptying it daily into the
kitchen catcher as I pass it (couldn't be easier to empty it) and it
still operates as beautifully as it did the day I got it. Sundays,
then I do the full McCoy re housework and it has never failed me yet.

I have the V10 on order so that I have the excuse to give the V8 to my
eldest grandson, he has two dogs and two cats, so it will be
interesting to see how it goes for him.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2019 11:44 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 22:35:29 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:

On 2/10/2019 12:06 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

I'm using the Tramontina right now - have been for 2 years. Still
good as new. I accidentally threw away the small one.

I could send you mine! It's on the Goodwill pile. I never use it.

Never use it? It's perfect for two eggs. I'm jut gonna buy a
cheapie. Or maybe even another 3-pack at Costco. Save the other
two for a decade from now.

I just use the medium size for 2 eggs. Guess I like my fried eggs
on the flatter side. Just kidding, the small pan just takes up
space, I know from experience it's not going to be used.

nancy
Old 11-02-2019, 07:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:08:17 AM UTC-6, wrote:

I have the V8 and it operates flawlessly. Every morning I just run
it around where it looks necessary after I do the litter box, when I
go through the kitchen I make a point of emptying it daily into the
kitchen catcher as I pass it (couldn't be easier to empty it) and it
still operates as beautifully as it did the day I got it. Sundays,
then I do the full McCoy re housework and it has never failed me yet.

I have the V10 on order so that I have the excuse to give the V8 to my
eldest grandson, he has two dogs and two cats, so it will be
interesting to see how it goes for him.

I would l.o.v.e to have one of the new Dyson cordless vacs but I have the
'ball' and it does a stupendous job. I just can't justify the expense when
the one I have is in perfect condition. If they'd give a nice 'trade-in'
deal on mine I'd spring for one of the cordless Dysons. But I do have a
rechargeable Shark Navigator Freestyle that I use to get up cat litter that
Pema seems to scatter everywhere. That was my first experience with a cord-
less vacuum and although not suitable for the whole house it does a great
job on litter and light vacuuming.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shark-Nav...V1106/22789319

Old 11-02-2019, 09:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 11:36:55 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

That's why I bought the Dyson, to cope with litter, best get at it
daily. I have hardwood and tile and it's not nice underfoot

Have you checked the Dyson site, I wouldn't be surprised if they do
'refurbished' ones, or if not, pretty sure I have seen them on ebay.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 3:13:07 PM UTC-6, wrote:

That's why I bought the Dyson, to cope with litter, best get at it
daily. I have hardwood and tile and it's not nice underfoot

Her litter box is near a laminate floor area and you're right, it's not nice
underfoot. I think the problem descends from her being declawed whereas
Smitty was not and there was no litter being scattered everywhere.

Have you checked the Dyson site, I wouldn't be surprised if they do
'refurbished' ones, or if not, pretty sure I have seen them on ebay.

I still cannot justify the price even for a refurbished one when my 'ball'
is in like new condition.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/11/2019 4:54 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

Given my experience with it I think you would be better off to stick
with the ball. It is handy to have the cordless one, It is light and it
does a good job. It is a PITA to have to keep emptying the canister and
then having to clean out the filter and waiting more than 24 hours to be
able to use it again.

You might consider buying a spare filter...

Old 12-02-2019, 02:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 7:33 p.m., S Viemeister wrote:
On 2/11/2019 4:54 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

Given my experience with it I think you would be better off to stick
with the ball. It is handy to have the cordless one, It is light and
it does a good job. It is a PITA to have to keep emptying the canister
and then having to clean out the filter and waiting more than 24 hours
to be able to use it again.

You might consider buying a spare filter...

Good idea. I had been considering sending it back. It does a good job
when it is working. It is just that I spend far too much time fiddling
with it.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On 2/11/2019 4:54 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

Given my experience with it I think you would be better off to stick
with the ball. It is handy to have the cordless one, It is light and it
does a good job. It is a PITA to have to keep emptying the canister and
then having to clean out the filter and waiting more than 24 hours to be
able to use it again.

You might consider buying a spare filter...

Yes, I see them frequently on amazon