Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 4:10:13 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > Here's what we had for lunch yesterday. 100% all natural Chinese food:
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...liOCYyss8ZZQ65

> Very nice looking dish, Dsi1! I'm surprised they didn't have a
> layer of rice underneath but oh well. What a variety of things,
> textures and tastes. If that tasted as good as it looks, near the
> end of the meal I would have ordered another of the same for
> take-out and a repeat for dinner the next night at home.
>
> I always order large when getting take-out from a good Chinese
> restaurant. Always enough for 2 meals and 2-3 smaller snacks.
> Most times, I'll buy early from the reduced price "lunch menu"
> that all of them have here. Same portions of food, just cost less
> before 4pm or so.

You didn't see a bowl of rice because we declined rice. That's certainly a weird thing to do in such a setting but we're trying to cut down on eating rice. The the dishes we ordered was 1) garlic eggplant - extra spicy 2) crispy gau gee min with cake noodle 3) beef with twin mushroom.

My wife and I love that garlic eggplant. I don't see that dish catching on on the mainland. Gau gee min with cake noodle is a wonderful dish. The locals love cake noodle. I'm hoping that Chinese restaurants on the mainland starts serving cake noodle. As far as I'm concerned, there's no point in going to a Chinese restaurant if they don't serve cake noodle. The food was served family style so there was lots to take home.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 2/18/2019 1:32 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I think that some fruits and vegetables tasted better. Maybe I was
>>> spoiled by having a vegetable garden and ate lots of tomatoes and beans
>>> fresh from the garden and they had much nice flavour than the stuff we
>>> buy these days. Ketchup used to be thick and rich. The old ketchup
>>> commercials used to use the song "Anticipation" to demonstrate how thick
>>> it was. Now they have bottles with the dispenser on the bottom so it
>>> runs out easily and you don't notice how thin ans sloppy it is.

>>> I don't really count McDs as a restaurant. I never liked their food. I
>>> think restaurants are infinitely better than they used to be. Most mom
>>> and pop places didn't have chefs or even good cooks. They were burger
>>> flippers and deep fryers. Most places had the same old dinner food,
>>> hamburgers, dries, onion rings, tuna salad, BLTs, westerns, (canned)
>>> soups and hot roast beef or turkey. The more expensive places were, at
>>> best, good home cooking. There are a lot more decent places these days
>>> and they sell much better and much more diverse foods, and the food is
>>> usually prepared by trained cooks.

>>> The real truth is that if you got a new computer 30 years ago it would
>>> be obsolete within two years. My first PC was an XT with a 20 meg hard
>>> drive that cost me $430 and made me the envy of my computer geek friends
>>> who were still using floppy discs to boot up with DOS. You can now get
>>> USB sticks with about a million times the capacity for about $20, and
>>> hard drives usually crashed within 2-3 years.

>>> True. The treatment was much better. However, the airlines are in hot
>>> competition and running on a very narrow profit margin. My good friend
>>> is a retired airline pilot and he says that the cost of running an
>>> airline are so high it is amazing that they don't all go broke.
>>>
>>> Air fare is cheap these days. It used to be unaffordable for most people
>>> now entire families fly on vacation. When I was a teen I knew a lot of
>>> people who would drive to Florida for a winter vacation. It would take
>>> 2-3 days of driving each way, and that mean hotels and restaurant meals
>>> along the way. It's cheaper for them to fly now, and they get to spend
>>> more time at their destination. Most people can cope with a couple hours
>>> in the air without having to have a meal.

>> Airplanes now are buses with wings.

> Buses are more comfortable though.

They probably are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 1:43:40 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 11:41:07 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:

> >> Calm down, cshenk. You'll only get more confused.
> >>

> >Butt out.

> Don't butt in.

She addressed her comment to ME, then I answered her and then YOU barged in.
It's safe to say you were the one who butted in.

> >We'll jerk your chain when it's feeding time.

> Chain jerking is typical troll behaviour.

Caged animals need to be fed and made to mind even by trolls.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 17:43:58 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 1:43:40 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 11:41:07 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:

>> >Butt out.

>> Don't butt in.
>>

>She addressed her comment to ME, then I answered her and then YOU barged in.
>It's safe to say you were the one who butted in.

If you want it that way, switch to email. Do you understand what a
newsgroup is?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 10:08:32 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 17:43:58 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 1:43:40 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 11:41:07 -0800 (PST), "

> >> Don't butt in.
> >>

> >She addressed her comment to ME, then I answered her and then YOU barged in.
> >It's safe to say you were the one who butted in.

> If you want it that way, switch to email. Do you understand what a
> newsgroup is?

Try reading comprehension.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 10:08:32 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 17:43:58 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:

>> >She addressed her comment to ME, then I answered her and then YOU barged
>> >in.
>> >It's safe to say you were the one who butted in.

>> If you want it that way, switch to email. Do you understand what a
>> newsgroup is?
>>

> Try reading comprehension.

Stop talking to yourself!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 22:21:46 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 10:08:32 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 17:43:58 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:

>> >She addressed her comment to ME, then I answered her and then YOU barged in.
>> >It's safe to say you were the one who butted in.

>> If you want it that way, switch to email. Do you understand what a
>> newsgroup is?
>>

>Try reading comprehension.

You try this: N E W S G R O U P

Did that sink in a bit?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 16:26:29 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-02-18 3:29 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Beats the heck out of me why someone who normally eats with a knife an
>>> fork would use chop sticks only when they eat Asian food.

>> What about someone who normally eats with whatever is convenient
>> and appropriate to the food being consumed? I'd never approach
>> a whole steak with chopsticks, but see no reason not to use them
>> when they're right on the table at the Chinese restaurant.

>Sure... if you know how to use them. But they also do it with take out.
>They buy the food at the restaurant and take it home and they are likely
>right in their kitchen getting the food out, so there are knives and
>forks at hand. The think is, they tend to do it only with Asian foods.

It shouldn't be allowed. It's a threat to the moral fiber of society!

===

I know. We don't know how to live and our choices and preferences are
simply not to be allowed!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 2:39:24 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>

> Here's what we had for lunch yesterday. 100% all natural Chinese food:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...liOCYyss8ZZQ65
>
> ===
>
> So? Come on? What is is????

Crispy gau gee min with cake noodle. The gau gee is a deep fried stuffed
wrap of dough. Cake noodle is egg noodles fried into a crispy cake and
served with a gravy dish. Eggplant with garlic and chili pepper. It's great!
Beef with twin noodle. It was okay but kind of bland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTR1nXO8Okc

==

Thank you) I have seen that chef before and I like watching him.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> > > Our resident moron apparently doesn't have a clue about taking a
> > > shower in a motorhome.

> > > But she's willing to buy cheap baby wipes and think dozens of them
> > > will get him cleaner or as clean as a shower. Somewhere some
> > > village is missing their idiot and she's landed here. Aren't we
> > > lucky?

> > It's almost a bit scary. We were talking RV stuff and she glomered
> > on to make it all about her and seemed to object if he were to buy
> > himself a small portable 5G hot water type he could use to wash a
> > few dishes or do whatever with. WTF?
> >

> You hit the nail on the head when you stated "to make it all about
> her." But in two years she'll deny she ever said anything about
> RV's, showers, or baby wipes.
>
> I've been watching some YouTube videos about the T@B (TAB) teardrop
> trailers. Many different styles with inside or outside kitchens,
> with or without bath- rooms, with or without solar panels. The
> amenities are quite varied for these type of campers.

Oh I had a happy wander on the Internet with them too but didn't see
any with a sort of toilet. I can tell it can be done though.

What my friends do is go 'off grid' meaning they only stay in a camp
with hookups and stuff like that, every 3-4 days (mostly to dump tanks
and refill and maybe pay a grunch to do some laundry). The rest of the
time, they are economical with power, water and such. Heck, they use
Crocquet (sp?) ball U shaped metal thingies to hold the PVC pipe shower
in place. I laughted but also went 'wow! I bet that works nice and
easy to store'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 3:08:17 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> > use your >> hands.
> > > >
> > > Don't be stupid. There is no need to eat with chopsticks at home
> > > or in a Chinese restaurant unless you want to show off your
> > > 'skills.'
> > >
> > > I bet you cut up your food using the 'ham fisted' method.
> > >

> > Beats the heck out of me why someone who normally eats with a knife
> > an fork would use chop sticks only when they eat Asian food.

> What about someone who normally eats with whatever is convenient
> and appropriate to the food being consumed? I'd never approach
> a whole steak with chopsticks, but see no reason not to use them
> when they're right on the table at the Chinese restaurant.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Good one there! I'd cut the steak with a fork and knife, then use
*chopsticks* if there was a communal dipping sauce bowl, dipping the
meat so that the part touched by my mouth touched, did not hit the
bowl. The othr way is to reverse the chopsticks when dipping, then put
on your plate and reverse again so your mouth slaiva never touches the
contents of a communal dip bowl.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:49:30 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

wrote:

>> She addressed her comment to ME, then I answered her and then YOU
>> barged in. It's safe to say you were the one who butted in.

>> > Chain jerking is typical troll behaviour.
>> >

>> Caged animals need to be fed and made to mind even by trolls.

>Bruce knows he's KF'ed here for cause. He only prays someone will
>quote him so he gets seen. Meantime, ignore him.

The thing is, I don't know why cshenk killfiled me. Until she
killfiled me, I was civil to her. I must have pressed a button that I
didn't know existed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 18:08:14 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

wrote:

>> On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 12:52:19 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>> >
>> > Eating with chopsticks is pretentious? How redneck. I bet you use
>> > your hands.
>> >

>> Don't be stupid. There is no need to eat with chopsticks at home or
>> in a Chinese restaurant unless you want to show off your 'skills.'

>It's a bit more than that. Once really *used to them* you start to
>find they are not only a bit fun, but work better for some foods.
>Cooking utensils also change as it's FAR easier to flip some things
>with 'cooking chopsticks' such as lumpia, rounmd sausage or spring roll.
>
>There is no need for someone not used to them to learn how to use them

Yes, there is: showing off to Jo-Jo!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 16:26:29 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

> use your >>>>> hands.

> home or in a Chinese >>>> restaurant unless you want to show off your
> 'skills.'

> knife an >>> fork would use chop sticks only when they eat Asian food.
> >>
> >> What about someone who normally eats with whatever is convenient
> >> and appropriate to the food being consumed? I'd never approach
> >> a whole steak with chopsticks, but see no reason not to use them
> >> when they're right on the table at the Chinese restaurant.

> > Sure... if you know how to use them. But they also do it with take
> > out. They buy the food at the restaurant and take it home and they
> > are likely right in their kitchen getting the food out, so there
> > are knives and forks at hand. The think is, they tend to do it
> > only with Asian foods.
> >

> When I had infants nursing, I ate with chopsticks all the time. It was
> much more convenient for me than a fork.
>
> To this day, I use chopsticks quite frequently, though the kids are
> all in their 30s now, and needless to say, long ago weaned.....

I asked Charlotte if she remembered learning to use them. She only
recalls she got better in Japan. I asked my husband and all he recalls
is he knew them but got better during his tour in Vietnam (yes, he is
an Army vietnam vet who finished out his Career in the Navy).

My own trail is not very defnitive either. I remember giggling with my
brother and sister (both older than me) when I was about 4 because my
sister was a bit klutzy with them still and she was the eldest!

To this day, my sister hasn't really mastered them but that's fine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tuco Salamanca wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 19:17:24 -0600, Hank Rogers >
> wrote:
>
> > Bruce wrote:

> >> The thing is, I don't know why cshenk killfiled me. Until she
> >> killfiled me, I was civil to her. I must have pressed a button

> that I >> didn't know existed.
> > >

> > And to add insult to injury, now she's talking about yoose!

> Yeah, that's why I sometimes change my name. Killfile me if you want,
> but don't bitch about me then.

How utterly pathetic you are to create just one more KF nym to
obviously get around all the other kill files people have you in.

I KF'ed you for cause because you are a very nasty ugly person. You
were not civil to me. It is rare for me to admit you even exist as far
as this messge does but now you are messing with Joan as she doesn't
deserve your sick behavior anymore than I have.

endtrans
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 20:07:50 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Tuco Salamanca wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 19:17:24 -0600, Hank Rogers >
>> wrote:

>> that I >> didn't know existed.
>> > >

>> > And to add insult to injury, now she's talking about yoose!

>> Yeah, that's why I sometimes change my name. Killfile me if you want,
>> but don't bitch about me then.

>How utterly pathetic you are to create just one more KF nym to
>obviously get around all the other kill files people have you in.
>
>I KF'ed you for cause because you are a very nasty ugly person. You
>were not civil to me.

See? You don't remember what the problem was either, or you would have
mentioned it.

>It is rare for me to admit you even exist as far as this messge does

Uhm, you bitched about me 2 days ago.

>but now you are messing with Joan as she doesn't
>deserve your sick behavior anymore than I have.

Jo-Jo's alright most of the time, but she can suddenly be extremely
nasty, so don't act as if I'm "messing" with a saint.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 3:08:17 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> > use your >> hands.
> > > >
> > > Don't be stupid. There is no need to eat with chopsticks at home
> > > or in a Chinese restaurant unless you want to show off your
> > > 'skills.'
> > >
> > > I bet you cut up your food using the 'ham fisted' method.
> > >

> > Beats the heck out of me why someone who normally eats with a knife
> > an fork would use chop sticks only when they eat Asian food.

> What about someone who normally eats with whatever is convenient
> and appropriate to the food being consumed? I'd never approach
> a whole steak with chopsticks, but see no reason not to use them
> when they're right on the table at the Chinese restaurant.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Good one there! I'd cut the steak with a fork and knife, then use
*chopsticks* if there was a communal dipping sauce bowl, dipping the
meat so that the part touched by my mouth touched, did not hit the
bowl. The othr way is to reverse the chopsticks when dipping, then put
on your plate and reverse again so your mouth slaiva never touches the
contents of a communal dip bowl.

==

See? You are obviously expert too! So why the denigration of those who
want to try!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 10:44:41 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

> >> Don't be stupid. There is no need to eat with chopsticks at home or
> >> in a Chinese restaurant unless you want to show off your 'skills.'

> > It's a bit more than that. Once really *used to them* you start to
> > find they are not only a bit fun, but work better for some foods.
> > Cooking utensils also change as it's FAR easier to flip some things
> > with 'cooking chopsticks' such as lumpia, rounmd sausage or spring roll.
> >
> > There is no need for someone not used to them to learn how to use them,
> > but there is also no reason why someone who grew up with using them to
> > not use them at home.

> Angela learned to use them at about 18 months and was an expert with them
> until age four. Reason being, her best friend's mom was Thai and she always
> ate with them. But after we moved to NY, she quit using them. So she lost
> her technique.
>
> ===
>
> My eldest granddaughter spent 2 years in Hong Kong and is expert. I think I
> will ask her to teach me ... oohhh I had better be careful or someone might
> tell me I am WRONG!!!

The strange thing about this state is that if you're raised here, it is expected that you're going to know how and when to use chopsticks. The Asian influence is strong here.

https://explorepartsunknown.com/hawa...i-in-9-dishes/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> The strange thing about this state is that if you're raised here, it is expected that you're going to know how and when to use chopsticks. The Asian influence is strong here.

I learned how to use them way back when I got married. She made
me learn but as I did I always joked how intelligent animals use
a stick to eat their food.

I do think of them as stupid and old-school but....

I actually do start with them whenever I bring home take-out
chinese food. They always include a couple of pairs. I like those
take-out ones as they are raw wood and food sticks to them
better. The old ones from my married days are the nifty fancy
lacquered ones....very slippery imo. I still have some but they
do suck for eating food.

Here's an old pic from a year or two ago with my chopsticks.

No...I just clicked through many of my old hostpic.org links and
it seems they are canceled. Could be just my computer needs to be
cold started again though. That happens sometimes too with this
old boy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 7:19:59 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > The strange thing about this state is that if you're raised here, it is expected that you're going to know how and when to use chopsticks. The Asian influence is strong here.

> I learned how to use them way back when I got married. She made
> me learn but as I did I always joked how intelligent animals use
> a stick to eat their food.
>
> I do think of them as stupid and old-school but....
>
> I actually do start with them whenever I bring home take-out
> chinese food. They always include a couple of pairs. I like those
> take-out ones as they are raw wood and food sticks to them
> better. The old ones from my married days are the nifty fancy
> lacquered ones....very slippery imo. I still have some but they
> do suck for eating food.
>
> Here's an old pic from a year or two ago with my chopsticks.
>
> No...I just clicked through many of my old hostpic.org links and
> it seems they are canceled. Could be just my computer needs to be
> cold started again though. That happens sometimes too with this
> old boy.

It is customary at take out food places to ask the customer if they want chopsticks or forks. Sometimes the answer is "both." My sister-in-law arrived from the mainland yesterday and she just loves the Korean fast food joint at the mall. We got fish and meat fried in an egg batter. We used chopstick for this job.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...p-JQGX5bawm9cS

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 10:44:41 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

> >> Don't be stupid. There is no need to eat with chopsticks at home or
> >> in a Chinese restaurant unless you want to show off your 'skills.'

> > It's a bit more than that. Once really *used to them* you start to
> > find they are not only a bit fun, but work better for some foods.
> > Cooking utensils also change as it's FAR easier to flip some things
> > with 'cooking chopsticks' such as lumpia, rounmd sausage or spring roll.
> >
> > There is no need for someone not used to them to learn how to use them,
> > but there is also no reason why someone who grew up with using them to
> > not use them at home.

> Angela learned to use them at about 18 months and was an expert with them
> until age four. Reason being, her best friend's mom was Thai and she
> always
> ate with them. But after we moved to NY, she quit using them. So she lost
> her technique.
>
> ===
>
> My eldest granddaughter spent 2 years in Hong Kong and is expert. I think
> will ask her to teach me ... oohhh I had better be careful or someone
> might
> tell me I am WRONG!!!

The strange thing about this state is that if you're raised here, it is
expected that you're going to know how and when to use chopsticks. The Asian
influence is strong here.

https://explorepartsunknown.com/hawa...i-in-9-dishes/

==

Yes, I would expect that

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

dsi1 wrote:

> The strange thing about this state is that if you're raised here, it is
> expected that you're going to know how and when to use chopsticks. The
> Asian influence is strong here.

I learned how to use them way back when I got married. She made
me learn but as I did I always joked how intelligent animals use
a stick to eat their food.

I do think of them as stupid and old-school but....

I actually do start with them whenever I bring home take-out
chinese food. They always include a couple of pairs. I like those
take-out ones as they are raw wood and food sticks to them
better. The old ones from my married days are the nifty fancy
lacquered ones....very slippery imo. I still have some but they
do suck for eating food.

I have both kinds)

Here's an old pic from a year or two ago with my chopsticks.

No...I just clicked through many of my old hostpic.org links and
it seems they are canceled. Could be just my computer needs to be
cold started again though. That happens sometimes too with this
old boy.

It would have been nice to see, but no matter

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 7:19:59 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > The strange thing about this state is that if you're raised here, it is
> > expected that you're going to know how and when to use chopsticks. The
> > Asian influence is strong here.

> I learned how to use them way back when I got married. She made
> me learn but as I did I always joked how intelligent animals use
> a stick to eat their food.
>
> I do think of them as stupid and old-school but....
>
> I actually do start with them whenever I bring home take-out
> chinese food. They always include a couple of pairs. I like those
> take-out ones as they are raw wood and food sticks to them
> better. The old ones from my married days are the nifty fancy
> lacquered ones....very slippery imo. I still have some but they
> do suck for eating food.
>
> Here's an old pic from a year or two ago with my chopsticks.
>
> No...I just clicked through many of my old hostpic.org links and
> it seems they are canceled. Could be just my computer needs to be
> cold started again though. That happens sometimes too with this
> old boy.

It is customary at take out food places to ask the customer if they want
chopsticks or forks. Sometimes the answer is "both." My sister-in-law
arrived from the mainland yesterday and she just loves the Korean fast food
joint at the mall. We got fish and meat fried in an egg batter. We used
chopstick for this job.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...p-JQGX5bawm9cS

---

Pah you are just spoiled <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 21:49:48 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> It's a bit more than that. Once really *used to them* you start to
>>> find they are not only a bit fun, but work better for some foods.
>>> Cooking utensils also change as it's FAR easier to flip some things
>>> with 'cooking chopsticks' such as lumpia, rounmd sausage or spring roll.
>>>
>>> There is no need for someone not used to them to learn how to use them,
>>> but there is also no reason why someone who grew up with using them to
>>> not use them at home.

>> Angela learned to use them at about 18 months and was an expert with them
>> until age four. Reason being, her best friend's mom was Thai and she always
>> ate with them. But after we moved to NY, she quit using them. So she lost
>> her technique.

> Using chopsticks is like swimming, bicyle riding, and coitus... once
> mastered you never forget.

People in new yawk are born with the innate ability to use chopstics.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 14:41:39 -0600, Hank Rogers >

>> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 21:49:48 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> Angela learned to use them at about 18 months and was an expert with them
>>> until age four. Reason being, her best friend's mom was Thai and she always
>>> ate with them. But after we moved to NY, she quit using them. So she lost
>>> her technique.

>> Using chopsticks is like swimming, bicyle riding, and coitus... once
>> mastered you never forget.
>>

>People in new yawk are born with the innate ability to use chopstics.

Even in deli's.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 8:26:06 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ---
>
> Pah you are just spoiled <g>

Yes, wherever we may roam, it's tough to get food like we do on this rock. My niece from California says there's a Hawaiian place that serves chicken katsu in her town. She says there's also 3 places open that serve poke. Two of the places are good and one is so-so. That's encouraging.

For breakfast, my wife had fried pork belly with kim chee. The kim chee was unusual, it was aged stuff. The cabbage gets almost gel-like and the flavor deepens. We wouldn't normally eat kim chee that old but with the pork belly it was pretty wonderful. Oddly enough, kim chee, bacon, bacon fat, and rice, is a Korean comfort food.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...5ynavWBupV7HOA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 13:57:24 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 8:26:06 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> ---
>>
>> Pah you are just spoiled <g>

>Yes, wherever we may roam, it's tough to get food like we do on this rock. My niece from California says there's a Hawaiian place that serves chicken katsu in her town. She says there's also 3 places open that serve poke. Two of the places are good and one is so-so. That's encouraging.

Didn't you know that one of the fun things about travelling is that
you get to eat local stuff instead of the same food you always have?
You remind me of an Australian women who went to Singapore. "They eat
all kinds of weird things there. Thank God they had McDonalds!"

I can just see you wandering through Stockholm, looking for the
Hawaiian restaurant.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 12:05:14 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 13:57:24 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 8:26:06 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >> ---
> >>
> >> Pah you are just spoiled <g>

> >Yes, wherever we may roam, it's tough to get food like we do on this rock. My niece from California says there's a Hawaiian place that serves chicken katsu in her town. She says there's also 3 places open that serve poke. Two of the places are good and one is so-so. That's encouraging.

> Didn't you know that one of the fun things about travelling is that
> you get to eat local stuff instead of the same food you always have?
> You remind me of an Australian women who went to Singapore. "They eat
> all kinds of weird things there. Thank God they had McDonalds!"
>
> I can just see you wandering through Stockholm, looking for the
> Hawaiian restaurant.

The difference is that I can get American food anywhere in the US, including Hawaii. What I can't get on the mainland is local Hawaiian food. Traveling out of the US is a different matter, because it's a food adventure. I don't expect to find American food or Hawaiian food in most countries.

OTOH, when my dad was in Sweden, the cook found out he was from Hawaii and told him that he could make real saimin. What my dad got was spaghetti in chicken soup. That was a big disappointment. OTOH, my dad is now in Las Vegas. My guess is that LV is the only place on the mainland where you can get local Hawaiian style food without much difficulty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

dsi1 wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 8:26:06 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > ---
> >
> > Pah you are just spoiled <g>

> Yes, wherever we may roam, it's tough to get food like we do on this rock.. My niece from California says there's a Hawaiian place that serves chicken katsu in her town. She says there's also 3 places open that serve poke. Two of the places are good and one is so-so. That's encouraging.
>
> For breakfast, my wife had fried pork belly with kim chee. The kim chee was unusual, it was aged stuff. The cabbage gets almost gel-like and the flavor deepens. We wouldn't normally eat kim chee that old but with the pork belly it was pretty wonderful. Oddly enough, kim chee, bacon, bacon fat, and rice, is a Korean comfort food.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...5ynavWBupV7HOA

Another Korean comfort food is "Army Stew", it is fried Spam, kimchi, and rice...

Spam is very popular in South Korea, it arrived with the US soldiers during the Korean War. Spam in fancy gift boxes is a popular present for special occasions, a luxury box can cost hundreds of dollars:

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/ea...ift-in-s-korea

"Spam is no junk meat - it's fit for a gift in South Korea

JINCHEON, SOUTH KOREA (AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE) - From the front lines of war to a staple of institutional catering, Spam is rarely seen as a gourmet ingredient - but the canned pink meat holds a unique position in South Korea as a top-selling holiday gift.

Ahead of the Chuseok harvest festival which started yesterday - one of Korea's biggest celebrations and an occasion for mass family gatherings - presentation wooden boxes of the blue-and-yellow tins, nestled in packing straw, line the shelves of both major retailers and local convenience stores.

An upmarket black-label pack with six cans of Spam and two bottles of Andalusian olive oil costs over 90,000 won (S$110), but the most popular version is a nine-tin set at 30,000 won.

Office worker Lee Yoon-ho bought five to give acquaintances, calling it "the most universal" present. "It's affordable and everyone likes it," he said.. "All South Koreans like Spam."

Spam gift boxes worth a total of around 213 billion won were sold in South Korea last year - six times as much as in 2008, when the figure was first recorded. A spokesman for supermarket giant Homeplus said the tinned meat hampers ranked second, third and fourth in its top-selling products last Chuseok.

"In Western countries, Spam is considered a cheap substitute to fresh meat and people nowadays tend to view it fairly negatively as they associate it with ration packs and poor quality meat," Ms Da-hae West, author of the English-language cookbook Eat Korean, told AFP. "Because Spam is both salty and high in fat, it complements the spicy, tangy elements of Korean food very well - particularly kimchi, as the flavours balance each other out," she said.

Spam was introduced to the peninsula by the United States army in the 1950s, when civilian food supplies were running low - with meat scarce - during the Korean War.

South Korea is the second-biggest consumer of Spam after the US, according to US conglomerate Hormel Foods..."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-24140705

"Why is Spam a luxury food in South Korea?

Asia is celebrating the annual lunar thanksgiving holiday this week. In South Korea, where it's known as Chuseok, the holiday is celebrated by visiting family, paying respects to ancestors... and the giving and receiving of packaged cans of Spam.

The pre-cooked tins of pork meat are the stuff of jokes, lunch boxes, wartime memories and, here in South Korea, a low-key, national love affair.

Spam has become a staple of South Korean life, and the country is now the biggest consumer of it outside the US.

Since Spam was first launched in the US before World War II, more than seven billion of these chunky little cans have rolled off production lines - like the ones at Spam's South Korean factory in Chuncheong Province.

Here you can find Classic Spam, Mild Spam, Bacon Spam, Garlic Spam€¦.. "If you've got Spam" the slogan on the can proclaims, "you've got it all!"

So, not for South Korean cans, a dusty shelf at the back of the supermarket..

Humble origins
Spam, and its home-grown competitors, are prime gifts for the lunar thanksgiving holiday, and they are displayed with verve, in lavish gift-boxes, sometimes topped with ribbon.

Spam is considered a luxury item, although its origins are humble
The premium Black Label hamper will set you back around $75 (£50).

"It has Andalucia Olive Oil, and nine tins of Spam," the company's brand manager, Shin Hyo Eun, explains.

The only way to get meat in those days was to smuggle it from the army base
Ho Gi-suk, Restaurant owner
"Spam has a premium image in Korea. It's probably the most desirable gift one could receive, and to help create the high-class image, we use famous actors in our commercials.

"Anyone who gets a Spam gift-set also gets a warm feeling in their heart."

Spam does have a different image here, compared with the West. Where else would television commercials show a young couple ditching their romantic dinner to head home for a plate of Spam?

But its origins here are much more humble.

Smuggled spam

Spam was introduced to Korea by the US army during the Korean War, when food was scarce - and meat even scarcer. Back then, people used whatever they could find to make a meal.

But the appeal of Spam lasted through the years of plenty and it's now so much a part of South Korean food culture, that it's the staple ingredient in one of the country's favourite dishes: budae jigae or army stew.

There are lots of restaurants specialising in it, but the most famous line one particular street, just around the corner from a US military base.

One of the restaurants there is run by Ho Gi-suk.

She claims to have invented Army Stew back in 1954, when someone brought her smuggled spam, sausages and bacon from the local army base. Mrs Ho made them into a spicy soup, and the rest is history.

"Back then," she tells me, "there wasn't a lot to eat. But I acquired some ham and sausages€¦ the only way to get meat in those days was to smuggle it from the army base.

"We had to make do with whatever the soldiers had left over; sometimes it was turkey, sometimes Spam. We'd make a stew with whatever came out, and my recipe was copied and spread throughout Korea."

Army Stew is now well-established as part of South Korea's culinary landscape - as traditional here as Spam gift-sets for thanksgiving.

"It's salty, and greasy, and goes very well with the spices," one customer told me. "Korean soup and American ham - it's the perfect fusion food."

</>