Old 17-02-2019, 08:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 04:57:57 +1100, Bruce
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 12:10:29 -0500, Gary wrote:

Roy wrote:

It wouldn't matter what they use as Julie would still buy the stuff and then complain
as to how BAD it was.
Jeez, If it is bad then DON'T BUY THE CRAP and get on with life.
Cook your own or procure a better brand of canned pasta.

Not only that...sugar in any form is not evil. All food in
moderation is the bottom line. Way too many food snobs here. Just
mention HFCS here and people gasp in horror. Get real.

Because it has no place on a pizza.

Then you don't want tomato on your pizza, and some sugar is required
to feed the yeast.

Old 17-02-2019, 08:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 15:34:58 -0500, wrote:

Yes, food has greatly deteriorated, along with taste expectations...
most people nowadays think shit tastes wonderful, their taste buds
have migrated to their rectum... eat enough fast food you too will
contract chronic TIAD.

What if you often inhale paint fumes? Does that protect you?

Restaurant food was better 20 years ago... was much better 60 years
ago.... even your favorite Golden Arches burger was far better
quality way back when it cost 15¢.

I can still remember when house-made tube steak from a neighborhood
German butcher shop was better quality than what today's most
expensive steak houses serve. There will always be those who
willingly drop a C-note on a crappy steak dinner and rave about it no
end... The Emperor's New Clothes is timeless. Today people have grown
accustomed to air travel on a measly bag of peanuts.

That's a good thing considering so many people are overweight.

I remember
flying with a voluptuous stewardess bringing me a scrumptious meal...
I don't fly anymore, I don't want some faggot bringing me peanuts.

lol

Truth is when you bought a computer 20 years ago it ran for twenty
years.

No. 20 years ago, a computer was obsolete much faster than these days.
The technology was improving and changing faster then.

I remember flying TWA, their Tourest Class was more posh than today's
First Class, and air travel meals were superb

Cattle class sucks. At least long distance and especially if you're
tall.
Old 17-02-2019, 08:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 15:44:53 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 04:57:39 +1100, Bruce
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 08:36:40 -0800 (PST), Roy
wrote:

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 1:05:42 AM UTC-7, Bruce wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 23:38:23 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 18:29:20 -0500, S Viemeister
wrote:

On 2/16/2019 4:23 PM, Jinx the Minx wrote:
Bruce wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 13:32:16 -0600, "cshenk" wrote:
Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there? Neither
has sugar added at all.
Campbell's Soup, Tomato:
"water, tomato puree (water, tomato paste), sugar, bleached enriched
flour (wheat flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamine mononitrate,
riboflavin, folic acid), wheat flour, contains less than 1% of: dried
dairy blend (whey, calcium caseinate), salt, modified food starch,
butter (milk), vegetable oil (corn, cottonseed, canola and/or
soybean), citric acid, flavoring and ascorbic acid (added to help
retain color)."
Sugar is the 3rd ingredient.
We should organise a Misinformation Contest. In the left corner
CSHENK, in the right corner SHELDON. It's gonna be close!

You are misinformed. Campbell's tomato soup doesn't contain sugar, it
contains high fructose corn syrup, as the SECOND ingredient-right
behind
tomato purée. That the equivalent of 3 teaspoons of sugar per serving.

Perhaps not misinformed.
Many businesses with international distribution, vary their formulas for
different countries - like Coca Cola, with HFCS in the US, but cane
sugar in Mexico. I know that there are differences in the UK and US
versions of Campbell's, and that is likely the case for Australia, too.

I got it from he

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=FD74E9A6-18D4-11E1-8977-1231380C180E

Campbell's hasn't used sugar in this country for years. Only HFCS.

In what way is that better or worse?

It wouldn't matter what they use as Julie would still buy the stuff and then complain
as to how BAD it was.
Jeez, If it is bad then DON'T BUY THE CRAP and get on with life.
Cook your own or procure a better brand of canned pasta.
=====

Well, who on earth wants sugar of any other sweetener added to a
pizza. 6 year olds?

Tomatoes are fruit, and fruit contains a lot of sugar naturally. if
they are adding sugar then they are using unripened tasteless
cardboard tomatoes.

Yes, they may be hiding something.
Old 17-02-2019, 09:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-17 3:34 p.m., wrote:

The computer you used 20 years ago sucked compared to today's
computers. Do you think food is any different?

Yes, food has greatly deteriorated, along with taste expectations...
most people nowadays think shit tastes wonderful, their taste buds
have migrated to their rectum... eat enough fast food you too will
contract chronic TIAD.

I think that some fruits and vegetables tasted better. Maybe I was
spoiled by having a vegetable garden and ate lots of tomatoes and beans
fresh from the garden and they had much nice flavour than the stuff we
buy these days. Ketchup used to be thick and rich. The old ketchup
commercials used to use the song "Anticipation" to demonstrate how thick
it was. Now they have bottles with the dispenser on the bottom so it
runs out easily and you don't notice how thin ans sloppy it is.

Restaurant food was better 20 years ago... was much better 60 years
ago.... even your favorite Golden Arches burger was far better
quality way back when it cost 15¢.

I don't really count McDs as a restaurant. I never liked their food. I
think restaurants are infinitely better than they used to be. Most mom
and pop places didn't have chefs or even good cooks. They were burger
flippers and deep fryers. Most places had the same old dinner food,
hamburgers, dries, onion rings, tuna salad, BLTs, westerns, (canned)
soups and hot roast beef or turkey. The more expensive places were, at
best, good home cooking. There are a lot more decent places these days
and they sell much better and much more diverse foods, and the food is
usually prepared by trained cooks.

Truth is when you bought a computer 20 years ago it ran for twenty
years. Today computers have lots more technology but you're lucky if
they last 2 years. I knew right away that computer longiviety was
going downhill fast when their steel cabinets and chasssis became
plastic.

The real truth is that if you got a new computer 30 years ago it would
be obsolete within two years. My first PC was an XT with a 20 meg hard
drive that cost me $430 and made me the envy of my computer geek friends
who were still using floppy discs to boot up with DOS. You can now get
USB sticks with about a million times the capacity for about $20, and
hard drives usually crashed within 2-3 years.

I remember flying TWA, their Tourest Class was more posh than today's
First Class, and air travel meals were superb

True. The treatment was much better. However, the airlines are in hot
competition and running on a very narrow profit margin. My good friend
is a retired airline pilot and he says that the cost of running an
airline are so high it is amazing that they don't all go broke.

Air fare is cheap these days. It used to be unaffordable for most people
now entire families fly on vacation. When I was a teen I knew a lot of
people who would drive to Florida for a winter vacation. It would take
2-3 days of driving each way, and that mean hotels and restaurant meals
along the way. It's cheaper for them to fly now, and they get to spend
more time at their destination. Most people can cope with a couple
hours in the air without having to have a meal.

Old 17-02-2019, 10:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:

It wouldn't matter what they use as Julie would still buy the stuff and then complain
as to how BAD it was.
Jeez, If it is bad then DON'T BUY THE CRAP and get on with life.
Cook your own or procure a better brand of canned pasta.

Not only that...sugar in any form is not evil. All food in
moderation is the bottom line. Way too many food snobs here. Just
mention HFCS here and people gasp in horror. Get real.

Because it has no place on a pizza.

Then you don't want tomato on your pizza, and some sugar is required
to feed the yeast.

No sugar is required. I make pizza dough without sugar. The yeast
gets along fine with the carbs in the flour.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 17-02-2019, 10:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:

It wouldn't matter what they use as Julie would still buy the stuff and then complain
as to how BAD it was.
Jeez, If it is bad then DON'T BUY THE CRAP and get on with life.
Cook your own or procure a better brand of canned pasta.

Not only that...sugar in any form is not evil. All food in
moderation is the bottom line. Way too many food snobs here. Just
mention HFCS here and people gasp in horror. Get real.

Because it has no place on a pizza.

Then you don't want tomato on your pizza, and some sugar is required
to feed the yeast.

No sugar is required. I make pizza dough without sugar. The yeast
gets along fine with the carbs in the flour.

Exactly. I think it's an old fashioned, unnecessary step to add sugar.
Old 17-02-2019, 11:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 1:26:27 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message

Julie, I was talking RV's and at 5 gallons, he'd just dump the water
that had no more than a little ivory soap or something added.

You expect a person who does work that gets him dirty and sweaty all day to
take a 5 gallon shower? I don't think so. There's a real shower, sink and
toilet in the house and the house is very close to the back house.

Our resident moron apparently doesn't have a clue about taking a shower in a
motorhome.

I do buy a lot of cheap baby wipes so he can use those if he needs to and he
has a water dispenser for drinking.

But she's willing to buy cheap baby wipes and think dozens of them will get him
cleaner or as clean as a shower. Somewhere some village is missing their idiot
and she's landed here. Aren't we lucky?

Old 18-02-2019, 12:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 6:10:34 PM UTC-6, Hank Rogers wrote:

wrote:

Somewhere some village is missing their idiot
and she's landed here. Aren't we lucky?

Well, the gardener can't get too dirty ... he's only pruning her begonias.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

Old 18-02-2019, 01:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 9:53:23 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/17/2019 1:51 PM, Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 13:42:40 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/17/2019 12:10 PM, Gary wrote:
Roy wrote:

It wouldn't matter what they use as Julie would still buy the stuff and then complain
as to how BAD it was.
Jeez, If it is bad then DON'T BUY THE CRAP and get on with life.
Cook your own or procure a better brand of canned pasta.

Not only that...sugar in any form is not evil. All food in
moderation is the bottom line. Way too many food snobs here. Just
mention HFCS here and people gasp in horror. Get real.

In a tomato sauce it is lost and makes no difference. HFCS is cheap so
they use that over cane sugar. With ice cream and some soda, cane sugar
is superior because of the flavor.

Sugars are often added to make things taste sweeter and sell more
product. It just does not belong in some places in any form. Many food
processors are truly evil with ingredients not needed except to enhance
profit.

But people in RFC often hate it when you point that out. They'd rather
not know.

You'd think people come to RFC so they can learn, share, eat better.
You get needled quite a bit for posting ingredients, but, it shows why
we should do real cooking unless you want to join rec.junkfood.chemicals.

Today I'm making dinner for six and there won't be any chemicals. Beef,
sweet potatoes, green beans. Butter, salt, pepper, garlic. Wine, iced
tea, lemon.

Sure, I eat junk at times, but very limited.

Here's what we had for lunch yesterday. 100% all natural Chinese food:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...liOCYyss8ZZQ65
Old 18-02-2019, 01:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:

[...]

My experience with the small Chinese restaurants in Sydney is that
they're great chefs and their food's very cheap. And I'll forgive them
the cockroaches if they and their excrements don't end up in the food.
But because they're so focused on cheap, their meat's the worst
industry meat, their vegetables are the cheapest probably GM
vegetables, their fish is dank basement grown basa and their prawns
are chicken manure fed from Asia.

I'd rather pay a bit more.
Old 18-02-2019, 01:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 10:44:36 AM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 6:20:26 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 6:02:28 AM UTC-10, Sheldon
wrote:

Yoose all should be embarrassed to advertise that yoose all
buy that doodoo... it's very easy to make your own by the

big potful and freeze portions... would be a much better
product and would cost far less.

People that think it's easier to cook up a giant pot of stuff
than open a little can probably need to get themselves a

better can opener.

Not easier than a can, but not difficult. And a much, much

better result.
For me, canned and jarred sauces and soups are much too sweet.

Cindy Hamilton

Mostly the canned and jarred sauces (especially in the so called
more high scale brands) add a lot of sugar and/or salt to them.
Haven't noted a sweet soup yet but there probably are some.

Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian
vegetable.

Cindy Hamilton

Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there?
Neither has sugar added at all.

Nope. It's sickeningly sweet. Not likely sugar. More likely HFCS.

Humm, ok apparently campbells tomato adds sugar? LOL, didn't know
that. The Vegetarian Veggie one I have has no sugar added at all.

In this country its HFCS.

Old 18-02-2019, 01:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 23:38:23 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

. ..

Bruce wrote:
[...]

It is suspected to cause heart problems in diabetics and the way it is
processed in the body, it can lead to obesity, more so than sugar. But corn
is abundant here so it's cheaper to use.