Old 17-02-2019, 08:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 00:10:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Jinx the Minx" wrote in message
cshenk wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian
vegetable.

Cindy Hamilton

Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there? Neither
has sugar added at all.

Lack of salt?! Their tomato soup contains 20% of the maximum daily value.
Their vegetarian vegetable contains over 25% of the maximum recommended
daily value. They also have added HFCS. Who needs that in soup??

Nobody.

It's how prefab food makes people sick and overweight.

Old 17-02-2019, 09:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 2/16/2019 7:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/16/2019 6:58 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
UK ingredient list -
Tomato Puree (78%), Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Modified Maize Starch, Cream,
Salt, Whey Powder, Wheatflour, Soy Protein, Yeast Extract, Citric Acid,
Natural Flavouring, Milk Proteins, Onion Powder

US ingredient list -
Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Wheat
Flour, Water, Contains Less Than 2% Of: Salt, Potassium Chloride,
Flavoring, Citric Acid, Lower Sodium Natural Sea Salt, Ascorbic Acid
(Vitamin C), Monopotassium Phosphate

Australia ingredient list -
Tomato Puree (84%) Sugar Onions Modified Tapioca Starch (e1442) Salt
Garlic Acidity Regulator (sodium Bicarbonate) Natural Flavours
Thickener(xanthan Gum) Natural Food Colour (paprika Extract) Herbs Spices

We're fortunate here. Those others miss out on the Monopotassium
Phosphate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopotassium_phosphate
Monopotassium phosphate, MKP, (also potassium dihydrogenphosphate, KDP, or
monobasic potassium phosphate), KH2PO4, is a soluble salt of potassium and
the dihydrogen phosphate ion which is used as a fertilizer, a food
additive and a fungicide. It is a source of phosphorus and potassium. It
is also a buffering agent. When used in fertilizer mixtures with urea and
ammonium phosphates, it minimizes escape of ammonia by keeping the acidity
at a relatively low level.

Yummy.

===

lol

Old 17-02-2019, 11:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-16 1:18 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 10:44:36 AM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

Mostly the canned and jarred sauces (especially in the so called
more high scale brands) add a lot of sugar and/or salt to them.
Haven't noted a sweet soup yet but there probably are some.

Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian
vegetable.

I wonder the sweetness comes from tomato paste. We reheated some
leftover pasta sauce the other day. We had just got our new fridge
and had cleaned out the freezer. There had been two half cans of
tomato paste in there and I added one of them to the sauce. It was
not just a richer tomato flavour to the sauce. It was much sweeter.

Dunno but Bruce as usual is being an asshole. Campbells old fashioned
vegetable: No added sugar (no hiddent HFCS).

He said Vegetarian Vegetable. Not sure where he looked but the Canadian
version does contain sugar. Ours doesn't.

Old 17-02-2019, 11:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message

On 2019-02-16 1:18 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 10:44:36 AM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

Mostly the canned and jarred sauces (especially in the so called
more high scale brands) add a lot of sugar and/or salt to them.
Haven't noted a sweet soup yet but there probably are some.

Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian
vegetable.

I wonder the sweetness comes from tomato paste. We reheated some
leftover pasta sauce the other day. We had just got our new fridge
and had cleaned out the freezer. There had been two half cans of
tomato paste in there and I added one of them to the sauce. It was
not just a richer tomato flavour to the sauce. It was much sweeter.

Dunno but Bruce as usual is being an asshole. Campbells old fashioned
vegetable: No added sugar (no hiddent HFCS).

You said "Neither has sugar added at all." Neither. Wrong.

Our version doesn't. The Canadian one does. Can't speak for others.

Old 17-02-2019, 12:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 6:31:50 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 18:29:20 -0500, S Viemeister
wrote:

On 2/16/2019 4:23 PM, Jinx the Minx wrote:
Bruce wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 13:32:16 -0600, "cshenk" wrote:
Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there? Neither
has sugar added at all.
Campbell's Soup, Tomato:
"water, tomato puree (water, tomato paste), sugar, bleached enriched
flour (wheat flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamine mononitrate,
riboflavin, folic acid), wheat flour, contains less than 1% of: dried
dairy blend (whey, calcium caseinate), salt, modified food starch,
butter (milk), vegetable oil (corn, cottonseed, canola and/or
soybean), citric acid, flavoring and ascorbic acid (added to help
retain color)."
Sugar is the 3rd ingredient.
We should organise a Misinformation Contest. In the left corner
CSHENK, in the right corner SHELDON. It's gonna be close!

You are misinformed. Campbells tomato soup doesnt contain sugar, it
contains high fructose corn syrup, as the SECOND ingredient€”right behind
tomato purée. That the equivalent of 3 teaspoons of sugar per serving.

Perhaps not misinformed.
Many businesses with international distribution, vary their formulas for
different countries - like Coca Cola, with HFCS in the US, but cane
sugar in Mexico. I know that there are differences in the UK and US
versions of Campbell's, and that is likely the case for Australia, too.

I got it from he

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=FD74E9A6-18D4-11E1-8977-1231380C180E

I got it from the label on the can in my pantry.

Cindy Hamilton

Old 17-02-2019, 12:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2019 6:31 PM, Bruce wrote:
[...]

It probably tastes better than bicarbonate of soda, which many people
add to their homemade tomato-based recipes to control the acid level.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 17-02-2019, 01:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/17/2019 3:05 AM, Bruce wrote:

Campbell's hasn't used sugar in this country for years. Only HFCS.

In what way is that better or worse?

I believe it saves them money. Accountants, rather than chefs, make
decisions like that.

Old 17-02-2019, 02:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian
vegetable.

Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there? Neither
has sugar added at all.

the easiest tomato soup from almost scratch is
a tiny can of tomato paste (which if you get a
decent brand is tomato only). then you can add
whatever spices and thickeners you want (or none
at all) and adjust the other liquids to taste.

some people may taste the umami from tomatoes
as sweet too (not all people are alike in how
they taste/smell things).

songbird
Old 17-02-2019, 03:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 17:15:15 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

He took a bowl, put cubes of Swiss cheese in it, cottage
cheese, some guacamole, added some soup. Topped that with

some salad that was asst. vegetables with olives, Feta
cheese and pecans. Added a goodly drizzle of honey on
top. There may have been more things he added that I left out
but I hadn't eaten yet. I didn't want to lose my

appetite and had to keep looking
away. Does that sound like a foodie to you?

It sounds like somebody using up everything you buy while he
can. It sound like he feels right at home.

=-sw

He should feel right at home. He LIVES here!

Probably inside now? You have snow and your back house has no
heat or plumbing. I remember. So if he lives in your house or
property, is he paying some kind of rent? He should be.

It has heat. Just no way to get water from there. I was told we
could put a hose type faucet there but it's too far from the

main line to get the water back out. And no, he doesn't pay
rent. He can stay in that building but I can't legally rent it.
Why is everyone here all up in my business?

There's some very innovative solutions used with RV's that he

might have added for basic plumbing. Even small 5gallon electric
hot water heaters that aren't very expensive and can handle a
small tub type bath (some run off liquid propane bottles and you
just fill with water then turn it on). I was looking at some of
them for a camper friend of mine.

Nope. I'm not adding anything there. He can always stay in this
house if he wants to. The problem with water is, there is no way
to drain it back out. Not like an RV. It's a building that won't
move.

Julie, I was talking RV's and at 5 gallons, he'd just dump the water
that had no more than a little ivory soap or something added.

You expect a person who does work that gets him dirty and sweaty all
day to take a 5 gallon shower? I don't think so. There's a real
shower, sink and toilet in the house and the house is very close to
the back house.

I do buy a lot of cheap baby wipes so he can use those if he needs to
and he has a water dispenser for drinking.

Julie, again, we dove off and were talking RV's. No one ASKED you to
add ANYTHING. The only time he comes into play, is that he might add
such a type of thing himself for occasional use, after that, it's all
RV talk and some of the neat things people may consider when camping.
Old 17-02-2019, 03:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 10:44:36 AM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 6:20:26 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 6:02:28 AM UTC-10, Sheldon
wrote:

Yoose all should be embarrassed to advertise that yoose all
buy that doodoo... it's very easy to make your own by the

big potful and freeze portions... would be a much better
product and would cost far less.

People that think it's easier to cook up a giant pot of stuff
than open a little can probably need to get themselves a

better can opener.

Not easier than a can, but not difficult. And a much, much

better result.
For me, canned and jarred sauces and soups are much too sweet.

Cindy Hamilton

Mostly the canned and jarred sauces (especially in the so called
more high scale brands) add a lot of sugar and/or salt to them.
Haven't noted a sweet soup yet but there probably are some.

Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian
vegetable.

Cindy Hamilton

Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there?
Neither has sugar added at all.

Nope. It's sickeningly sweet. Not likely sugar. More likely HFCS.

Humm, ok apparently campbells tomato adds sugar? LOL, didn't know
that. The Vegetarian Veggie one I have has no sugar added at all.

Old 17-02-2019, 03:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 09:25:23 -0500, songbird
wrote:

cshenk wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian
vegetable.

Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there? Neither
has sugar added at all.

the easiest tomato soup from almost scratch is
a tiny can of tomato paste (which if you get a
decent brand is tomato only). then you can add
whatever spices and thickeners you want (or none
at all) and adjust the other liquids to taste.

some people may taste the umami from tomatoes
as sweet too (not all people are alike in how
they taste/smell things).

songbird

For me the best tomato soup is to blend a 6 oz can of tomato paste
with 2 1/2 cans of water, add a couple three drops of tobasco, a wee
pinch of celery salt and pour into a tall glass filled with ice until
half full, then top off with Crystal Palace vodka and add a celery
stick for stirring... add wooster to taste.

For me the only real tomato soup is the tomatoey broth from a pot of
sweet & sour stuffed cabbage... sweet is some raisins, sour is the
juice of one lemon, secret ingredient is a small can of V8.

I've never tasted any canned tomato soup even worth doctoring.

Old 17-02-2019, 04:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 1:05:42 AM UTC-7, Bruce wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 23:38:23 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

.. .

Bruce wrote:
[...]

It wouldn't matter what they use as Julie would still buy the stuff and then complain
as to how BAD it was.
Jeez, If it is bad then DON'T BUY THE CRAP and get on with life.
Cook your own or procure a better brand of canned pasta.
=====
Old 17-02-2019, 05:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:

It wouldn't matter what they use as Julie would still buy the stuff and then complain
as to how BAD it was.
Jeez, If it is bad then DON'T BUY THE CRAP and get on with life.
Cook your own or procure a better brand of canned pasta.

Not only that...sugar in any form is not evil. All food in
moderation is the bottom line. Way too many food snobs here. Just
mention HFCS here and people gasp in horror. Get real.
Old 17-02-2019, 05:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 08:08:00 -0500, S Viemeister
wrote:

On 2/17/2019 3:05 AM, Bruce wrote:

Campbell's hasn't used sugar in this country for years. Only HFCS.

In what way is that better or worse?

I believe it saves them money. Accountants, rather than chefs, make
decisions like that.

Yes, such is the food industry.
Old 17-02-2019, 05:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 04:18:47 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 7:26:56 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

We're fortunate here. Those others miss out on the Monopotassium
Phosphate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopotassium_phosphate
Monopotassium phosphate, MKP, (also potassium dihydrogenphosphate, KDP,
or monobasic potassium phosphate), KH2PO4, is a soluble salt of
potassium and the dihydrogen phosphate ion which is used as a
fertilizer, a food additive and a fungicide. It is a source of
phosphorus and potassium. It is also a buffering agent. When used in
fertilizer mixtures with urea and ammonium phosphates, it minimizes
escape of ammonia by keeping the acidity at a relatively low level.

It probably tastes better than bicarbonate of soda, which many people
add to their homemade tomato-based recipes to control the acid level.

I've never heard of that.