Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 12:18:53 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...L-bxQDaGkCwrMs
> > >
> > > Looks like meal for 3 to me! Could be the angle though.
> > >
> > > On the rice, is that white sesame seed on some sort of seaweed? The
> > > only other think I can think of it looking like is mustard flowers
> > > steamed then bedded on the rice. Both would be good.

> > For me that would be 2 meals. For most people, it would be a single
> > meal. For others, that's half a meal. The stuff on the rice is
> > furikake.
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furikake

> I am aware of Furikake. Is it a sesame and seaweed version?

I think it is but mostly, I just grab a bottle of whatever is available. I'm
not too picky. When I was a kid, we didn't eat much furikake. We had nori
tsukudani. It's great stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR0j2LgD_Q0

==

What is it they are saying as they take their first bite?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 11:30:54 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> What is it they are saying as they take their first bite?

"Itadakimasu" is customary to say before eating in Japan. I think it means "let's eat." You can say it casually like those guy do or formally. I like the practice because it shows respect for the food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnH_IHA-hns
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 11:19:10 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 11:30:54 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> What is it they are saying as they take their first bite?

>"Itadakimasu" is customary to say before eating in Japan. I think it means "let's eat." You can say it casually like those guy do or formally. I like the practice because it shows respect for the food.

"Let's eat" shows respect for the food. Hawaiian logic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 9:21:23 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 11:19:10 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 11:30:54 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >>
> >> What is it they are saying as they take their first bite?

> >"Itadakimasu" is customary to say before eating in Japan. I think it means "let's eat." You can say it casually like those guy do or formally. I like the practice because it shows respect for the food.

> "Let's eat" shows respect for the food. Hawaiian logic.

Literally, it does mean "lets eat." Obviously, there's something more going on than that. My guess is that this reverence for food stems from their Shintoists beliefs that objects in nature have a spirit. The Hawaiians believed that too. As we all know, you gotta respect nature.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 11:47:09 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 9:21:23 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 11:19:10 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >"Itadakimasu" is customary to say before eating in Japan. I think it means "let's eat." You can say it casually like those guy do or formally. I like the practice because it shows respect for the food.

>> "Let's eat" shows respect for the food. Hawaiian logic.

>Literally, it does mean "lets eat." Obviously, there's something more going on than that. My guess is that this reverence for food stems from their Shintoists beliefs that objects in nature have a spirit. The Hawaiians believed that too. As we all know, you gotta respect nature.

Yes, we should.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 11:47:09 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 9:21:23 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 11:19:10 -0800 (PST), dsi1

>>> "Let's eat" shows respect for the food. Hawaiian logic.

>> Literally, it does mean "lets eat." Obviously, there's something more going on than that. My guess is that this reverence for food stems from their Shintoists beliefs that objects in nature have a spirit. The Hawaiians believed that too. As we all know, you gotta respect nature.

> Yes, we should.

Even plants?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 15:06:31 -0600, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 11:47:09 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>>> Literally, it does mean "lets eat." Obviously, there's something more going on than that. My guess is that this reverence for food stems from their Shintoists beliefs that objects in nature have a spirit. The Hawaiians believed that too. As we all know, you gotta respect nature.

>> Yes, we should.
>>

>Even plants?

Yes, and oceans and mountains. Stuff like that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 11:30:54 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> What is it they are saying as they take their first bite?

"Itadakimasu" is customary to say before eating in Japan. I think it means
"let's eat." You can say it casually like those guy do or formally. I like
the practice because it shows respect for the food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnH_IHA-hns

==

Nice Thanks)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 1:53:47 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...L-bxQDaGkCwrMs

> > > I think it is but mostly, I just grab a bottle of whatever is
> > > available. I'm not too picky. When I was a kid, we didn't eat much
> > > furikake. We had nori tsukudani. It's great stuff!
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR0j2LgD_Q0

> > I love it! I knew vaguely of that seaweed 'sauce' but now I see
> > how to use it.

> I've never seen it used on anything other than hot rice. I'm too
> scared to try it on bread or pizza. Otherwise, it's wonderful stuff
> in my limited usage of it.

No problem! I'll hunt up the tsukudanki. I probably had it 'some time'
but didn't know the name of what to shop for and now I do.

Fr Furikake, we have 4 versions here currently and I need to get more
of the sweet purple one. Onolishious rice-balls from that one!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/25/2019 2:19 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 11:30:54 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> What is it they are saying as they take their first bite?

> "Itadakimasu" is customary to say before eating in Japan. I think it means "let's eat." You can say it casually like those guy do or formally. I like the practice because it shows respect for the food.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnH_IHA-hns

Oversimplified, but close. I can understand the meaning behinf it.

"Itadakimasu" is an essential phrase in your Japanese vocabulary. It's
often translated as "I humbly receive," but in a mealtime setting, it's
compared to "Let's eat," "Bon appétit," or "Thanks for the food." Some
even liken it to the religious tradition of saying grace before eating.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 3:26:34 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...L-bxQDaGkCwrMs

> > > I love it! I knew vaguely of that seaweed 'sauce' but now I see
> > > how to use it.

> > I've never seen it used on anything other than hot rice. I'm too
> > scared to try it on bread or pizza. Otherwise, it's wonderful stuff
> > in my limited usage of it.

> No problem! I'll hunt up the tsukudanki. I probably had it 'some time'
> but didn't know the name of what to shop for and now I do.
>
> Fr Furikake, we have 4 versions here currently and I need to get more
> of the sweet purple one. Onolishious rice-balls from that one!

If you like that stuff, you might like this stuff, but don't put it on rice. Put it on bread or crackers. I believe you can get it at Ikea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtdiGPLQxAw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 3:26:34 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...L-bxQDaGkCwrMs

> > > I love it! I knew vaguely of that seaweed 'sauce' but now I see
> > > how to use it.

> > I've never seen it used on anything other than hot rice. I'm too
> > scared to try it on bread or pizza. Otherwise, it's wonderful stuff
> > in my limited usage of it.

> No problem! I'll hunt up the tsukudanki. I probably had it 'some time'
> but didn't know the name of what to shop for and now I do.
>
> Fr Furikake, we have 4 versions here currently and I need to get more
> of the sweet purple one. Onolishious rice-balls from that one!

If you like that stuff, you might like this stuff, but don't put it on rice.
Put it on bread or crackers. I believe you can get it at Ikea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtdiGPLQxAw

==

It challenges the universal gag reflex eh??? LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 11:07:10 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> If you like that stuff, you might like this stuff, but don't put it on rice.
> Put it on bread or crackers. I believe you can get it at Ikea:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtdiGPLQxAw
>
> ==
>
> It challenges the universal gag reflex eh??? LOL

That's just the Kalle Kavair shtick. Everybody goes along with the shtick. It's a product that's chock full of umami. My step-mom broke it out during Thanksgiving so we could try it. My son thought it was just awesome. I'd certainly eat some next Thanksgiving. It tastes like Cheese Whiz with a fishy aftertaste.