FoodBanter.com

-   -   Dinner tonight (2/6/19) (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/445814-dinner-tonight-2-6-a.html)

jmcquown[_2_] 07-02-2019 12:53 AM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

Pan seared chuck eye steak. Lightly salted, then let it sit to absorb
and bring out the wonderful taste.

I'll be roasting some cauliflower florets in the oven to go with it.
Lightly steamed first then layered on a sheet pan and lightly brushed
with olive oil, granulated garlic and S&P.

Oh, I'll put some of that granulated garlic on the steak, too. :)
Cooked to medium rare.

Jill

Terry Coombs 07-02-2019 01:07 AM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

On 2/6/2019 6:53 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Pan seared chuck eye steak.Â* Lightly salted, then let it sit to absorb
> and bring out the wonderful taste.
>
> I'll be roasting some cauliflower florets in the oven to go with it.
> Lightly steamed first then layered on a sheet pan and lightly brushed
> with olive oil, granulated garlic and S&P.
>
> Oh, I'll put some of that granulated garlic on the steak, too. :)
> Cooked to medium rare.
>
> Jill

Â* We just finished , had baby clams in white wine sauce over spaghetti
with a green salad on the side . Mmmm good , and filling !

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Bruce[_28_] 07-02-2019 01:11 AM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 19:53:45 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>Pan seared chuck eye steak. Lightly salted, then let it sit to absorb
>and bring out the wonderful taste.
>
>I'll be roasting some cauliflower florets in the oven to go with it.
>Lightly steamed first then layered on a sheet pan and lightly brushed
>with olive oil, granulated garlic and S&P.
>
>Oh, I'll put some of that granulated garlic on the steak, too. :)
>Cooked to medium rare.

Lightly cooked?

[email protected] 07-02-2019 02:27 AM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

On Thu, 07 Feb 2019 12:11:05 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 19:53:45 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>Pan seared chuck eye steak. Lightly salted, then let it sit to absorb
>>and bring out the wonderful taste.
>>
>>I'll be roasting some cauliflower florets in the oven to go with it.
>>Lightly steamed first then layered on a sheet pan and lightly brushed
>>with olive oil, granulated garlic and S&P.
>>
>>Oh, I'll put some of that granulated garlic on the steak, too. :)
>>Cooked to medium rare.

>Lightly cooked?

WTF did she say Lightly coocked?

[email protected] 07-02-2019 02:40 AM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 19:07:07 -0600, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 2/6/2019 6:53 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Pan seared chuck eye steak.* Lightly salted, then let it sit to absorb
>> and bring out the wonderful taste.
>>
>> I'll be roasting some cauliflower florets in the oven to go with it.
>> Lightly steamed first then layered on a sheet pan and lightly brushed
>> with olive oil, granulated garlic and S&P.
>>
>> Oh, I'll put some of that granulated garlic on the steak, too. :)
>> Cooked to medium rare.
>>
>> Jill

> * We just finished , had baby clams in white wine sauce over spaghetti
>with a green salad on the side.

There's no such classification as "baby clams"... there are
essentially little neck, cherrystone and chowders... some people
classify clams smore precicely for in between sizes but there is no
classification as 'baby clams". Yoose gots to stay away from yoose
baby bees.
http://www.shoemakerlittlenecks.com/size.html

Terry Coombs 07-02-2019 02:58 AM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

On 2/6/2019 8:40 PM, wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 19:07:07 -0600, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/6/2019 6:53 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> Pan seared chuck eye steak.Â* Lightly salted, then let it sit to absorb
>>> and bring out the wonderful taste.
>>>
>>> I'll be roasting some cauliflower florets in the oven to go with it.
>>> Lightly steamed first then layered on a sheet pan and lightly brushed
>>> with olive oil, granulated garlic and S&P.
>>>
>>> Oh, I'll put some of that granulated garlic on the steak, too. :)
>>> Cooked to medium rare.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Â* We just finished , had baby clams in white wine sauce over spaghetti
>> with a green salad on the side.

> There's no such classification as "baby clams"... there are
> essentially little neck, cherrystone and chowders... some people
> classify clams smore precicely for in between sizes but there is no
> classification as 'baby clams". Yoose gots to stay away from yoose
> baby bees.

http://www.shoemakerlittlenecks.com/size.html

Â* Oh **** off . It says on the can "Bumble Bee Premium Select Wild
Fancy Whole BABY CLAMS" . Since I see they've been in business since
1899 I suspect they know what they're talking about . And you obviously
don't .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Terry Coombs 07-02-2019 03:00 AM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

On 2/6/2019 8:27 PM, wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Feb 2019 12:11:05 +1100, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 19:53:45 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Pan seared chuck eye steak. Lightly salted, then let it sit to absorb
>>> and bring out the wonderful taste.
>>>
>>> I'll be roasting some cauliflower florets in the oven to go with it.
>>> Lightly steamed first then layered on a sheet pan and lightly brushed
>>> with olive oil, granulated garlic and S&P.
>>>
>>> Oh, I'll put some of that granulated garlic on the steak, too. :)
>>> Cooked to medium rare.

>> Lightly cooked?

> WTF did she say Lightly coocked?

Â* Those who can , do . Those who can't , critic .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Hank Rogers[_2_] 07-02-2019 03:11 AM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 19:07:07 -0600, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/6/2019 6:53 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> Pan seared chuck eye steak. Lightly salted, then let it sit to absorb
>>> and bring out the wonderful taste.
>>>
>>> I'll be roasting some cauliflower florets in the oven to go with it.
>>> Lightly steamed first then layered on a sheet pan and lightly brushed
>>> with olive oil, granulated garlic and S&P.
>>>
>>> Oh, I'll put some of that granulated garlic on the steak, too. :)
>>> Cooked to medium rare.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> We just finished , had baby clams in white wine sauce over spaghetti
>> with a green salad on the side.

> There's no such classification as "baby clams"... there are
> essentially little neck, cherrystone and chowders... some people
> classify clams smore precicely for in between sizes but there is no
> classification as 'baby clams". Yoose gots to stay away from yoose
> baby bees.

http://www.shoemakerlittlenecks.com/size.html

Popeye, yoose sure are smart.

I bet yoose knows everything about everything.

Hank Rogers[_2_] 07-02-2019 03:12 AM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 2/6/2019 8:40 PM, wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 19:07:07 -0600, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:

>>> We just finished , had baby clams in white wine sauce over spaghetti
>>> with a green salad on the side.

>> There's no such classification as "baby clams"... there are
>> essentially little neck, cherrystone and chowders... some people
>> classify clams smore precicely for in between sizes but there is no
>> classification as 'baby clams". Yoose gots to stay away from yoose
>> baby bees.

http://www.shoemakerlittlenecks.com/size.html

> Oh **** off . It says on the can "Bumble Bee Premium Select Wild
> Fancy Whole BABY CLAMS" . Since I see they've been in business since
> 1899 I suspect they know what they're talking about . And you obviously
> don't .

Yoose have to take a pic, or Popeye will never believe yoose.

He's from Missouri.

Bruce[_28_] 07-02-2019 03:17 AM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

On Wed, 06 Feb 2019 21:27:55 -0500, wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Feb 2019 12:11:05 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 19:53:45 -0500, jmcquown >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Pan seared chuck eye steak. Lightly salted, then let it sit to absorb
>>>and bring out the wonderful taste.
>>>
>>>I'll be roasting some cauliflower florets in the oven to go with it.
>>>Lightly steamed first then layered on a sheet pan and lightly brushed
>>>with olive oil, granulated garlic and S&P.
>>>
>>>Oh, I'll put some of that granulated garlic on the steak, too. :)
>>>Cooked to medium rare.

>>Lightly cooked?

>WTF did she say Lightly coocked?

The steak was lightly salted, the cauliflower was lightly steamed and
it was lightly brushed. I wondered if the steak was lightly cooked.

Julie Bove[_2_] 07-02-2019 09:04 AM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

"Terry Coombs" > wrote in message
> On 2/6/2019 8:40 PM, wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 19:07:07 -0600, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:

>>> We just finished , had baby clams in white wine sauce over spaghetti
>>> with a green salad on the side.

>> There's no such classification as "baby clams"... there are
>> essentially little neck, cherrystone and chowders... some people
>> classify clams smore precicely for in between sizes but there is no
>> classification as 'baby clams". Yoose gots to stay away from yoose
>> baby bees.

http://www.shoemakerlittlenecks.com/size.html

> Oh **** off . It says on the can "Bumble Bee Premium Select Wild Fancy
> Whole BABY CLAMS" . Since I see they've been in business since 1899 I
> suspect they know what they're talking about . And you obviously don't .
>
> --
> Snag
> Yes , I'm old
> and crochety - and armed .
> Get outta my woods !

*Snort*

Julie Bove[_2_] 07-02-2019 09:05 AM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 07 Feb 2019 12:11:05 +1100, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 19:53:45 -0500, jmcquown >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Pan seared chuck eye steak. Lightly salted, then let it sit to absorb
>>>and bring out the wonderful taste.
>>>
>>>I'll be roasting some cauliflower florets in the oven to go with it.
>>>Lightly steamed first then layered on a sheet pan and lightly brushed
>>>with olive oil, granulated garlic and S&P.
>>>
>>>Oh, I'll put some of that granulated garlic on the steak, too. :)
>>>Cooked to medium rare.

>>Lightly cooked?

> WTF did she say Lightly coocked?

She said lightly steamed.

Julie Bove[_2_] 07-02-2019 09:06 AM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 06 Feb 2019 21:27:55 -0500, wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 07 Feb 2019 12:11:05 +1100, Bruce >
>>wrote:

>>>Lightly cooked?

>>WTF did she say Lightly coocked?

> The steak was lightly salted, the cauliflower was lightly steamed and
> it was lightly brushed. I wondered if the steak was lightly cooked.

I noticed the overuse of the word "lightly".

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 07-02-2019 11:15 AM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 7:53:50 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> Pan seared chuck eye steak. Lightly salted, then let it sit to absorb
> and bring out the wonderful taste.
>
> I'll be roasting some cauliflower florets in the oven to go with it.
> Lightly steamed first then layered on a sheet pan and lightly brushed
> with olive oil, granulated garlic and S&P.
>
> Oh, I'll put some of that granulated garlic on the steak, too. :)
> Cooked to medium rare.
>
> Jill

Pan seared New York strip here, with a garlic and brandy pan sauce.
Vermicelli with butter, basil, and garlic.
Tossed salads with blue cheese dressing for him, balsamic vinaigrette for me.

Beef and garlic. Great minds think alike.

I've had a little pot of basil kicking around the kitchen for a couple
of months. The halogen lights in the range hood seem to be keeping it
going. Gardening. Heh.

Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith[_1_] 07-02-2019 02:18 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

On 2019-02-07 6:15 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 7:53:50 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> Pan seared chuck eye steak. Lightly salted, then let it sit to absorb
>> and bring out the wonderful taste.
>>
>> I'll be roasting some cauliflower florets in the oven to go with it.
>> Lightly steamed first then layered on a sheet pan and lightly brushed
>> with olive oil, granulated garlic and S&P.
>>
>> Oh, I'll put some of that granulated garlic on the steak, too. :)
>> Cooked to medium rare.
>>
>> Jill

> Pan seared New York strip here, with a garlic and brandy pan sauce.
> Vermicelli with butter, basil, and garlic.
> Tossed salads with blue cheese dressing for him, balsamic vinaigrette for me.
>
> Beef and garlic. Great minds think alike.
>
> I've had a little pot of basil kicking around the kitchen for a couple
> of months. The halogen lights in the range hood seem to be keeping it
> going. Gardening. Heh.

We had leftover meatloaf, and it was even better than it had been the
night before. I made some fries in the air fryer, steamed some broccoli
and made up a batch of gravy with the mix I got at Costco (better than
no gravy at all). I sliced the cold meat loaf and heated in up in a
frying pan.

Gary 07-02-2019 02:29 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

Julie Bove wrote:

> > Bruce wrote:

> >>Lightly cooked?

> > WTF did she say Lightly coocked?

> She said lightly steamed.

People are a bit slow here. Read again above.
In one post about her dinner, Jill said:
- lightly salted
- lightly steamed
- lightly brushed with olive oil

Bruce was teasing her about "lightly" everything.
Nice day there in SC -
I'm surprised she didn't lightly grill her steak.

;-D

Gary 07-02-2019 02:29 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Bruce" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 06 Feb 2019 21:27:55 -0500, wrote:

> >>WTF did she say Lightly coocked?

> > The steak was lightly salted, the cauliflower was lightly steamed and
> > it was lightly brushed. I wondered if the steak was lightly cooked.

> I noticed the overuse of the word "lightly".

Already covered, I see. I wrote the previous message too soon.

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 07-02-2019 03:22 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

On 2/7/2019 4:06 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 06 Feb 2019 21:27:55 -0500, wrote:

>>> WTF did she say Lightly coocked?

>> The steak was lightly salted, the cauliflower was lightly steamed and
>> it was lightly brushed. I wondered if the steak was lightly cooked.

> I noticed the overuse of the word "lightly".

Right, now we can't use that word for the rest of the month. I'm
waiting for March to use it again.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 07-02-2019 04:10 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 10:22:44 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/7/2019 4:06 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> >> The steak was lightly salted, the cauliflower was lightly steamed and
> >> it was lightly brushed. I wondered if the steak was lightly cooked.

> > I noticed the overuse of the word "lightly".

> Right, now we can't use that word for the rest of the month. I'm
> waiting for March to use it again.

Hah! Lightly! Lightly! Lightly!

Cindy Hamilton

[email protected] 07-02-2019 04:21 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 Julie Bove wrote:
>"Terresa Coombs" wrote:

>>> There's no such classification as "baby clams"... there are
>>> essentially little neck, cherrystone and chowders... some people
>>> classify clams smore precicely for in between sizes but there is no
>>> classification as 'baby clams". Yoose gots to stay away from yoose
>>> baby bees.
>>> http://www.shoemakerlittlenecks.com/size.html

>> Oh **** off . It says on the can "Bumble Bee Premium Select Wild Fancy
>> Whole BABY CLAMS" . Since I see they've been in business since 1899 I
>> suspect they know what they're talking about . And you obviously don't .

>*Snort*

Double Snort
Says product of China...
Bumble Bee is passing off some parasite as clams.
https://jet.com/product/Bumble-Bee-P...e6757fa904f04e

This is a product of China!

Submitted 4 months ago
By MTownQD
The clams are fine but the cans are labeled "Product of China". I will
not buy again for this reason. I'm a little disappointed because
Bumble Bee is an American brand but they source their ingredients from
different countries, including China.

Read the Bumble Bee disclaimer...
Consume Bumble Bee products at your peril:
"Product Disclaimer:Product pages contain information provided by
third-party sellers and other content providers. Despite our best
efforts to make sure that information is accurate, we don’t guarantee
it, and images, descriptions, specifications, or other attributes may
be incomplete, out of date, unreliable or miscategorized. Before you
buy, use or consume a product, you should always review nutritional,
ingredient and allergen information and any warnings or instructions.
We don’t guarantee the accuracy of nutritional labels or any other
information on product packaging."
-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clam
In culinary use, within the eastern coast of the United States and
large swathes of the Maritimes of Canada, the term "clam" most often
refers to the hard clam Mercenaria mercenaria. It may also refer to a
few other common edible species, such as the soft-shell clam, Mya
arenaria and the ocean quahog, Arctica islandica.

In other words Bumble Bee LIES!

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 07-02-2019 05:28 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

On 2/7/2019 11:10 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 10:22:44 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> I noticed the overuse of the word "lightly".

>> Right, now we can't use that word for the rest of the month. I'm
>> waiting for March to use it again.

> Hah! Lightly! Lightly! Lightly!
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Now March 21st.

Kathy Martin[_3_] 07-02-2019 05:56 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

Sheldon wrote:
> WTF did she say Lightly coocked?

.-'"""`-.
( )
|`-.___.-'|
|.-'"""`-.|
| |
|`-.___.-'|
| |
|. ' " ` .|
| |
`-.___.-'
/ \ \ / \
| | | |
| ' `. COCCYX | :
\ | | \| |
\ | / v \ :
\ \/ _-- __| \ |
\ \_-~ / (*) \ ~-\ |
\_ \ _/-------\.____,_\| |
\ \_,____// _ ___ _ (____> / |
\ < ___) ______ (_____> /
/\ | < ____)/ \(_____> |_/\
/ /\| <_____) | (___> / \
| ( _<____)\_______/ /// _/ / \
| \ \_ \\_________/// (__/ \
| \ \___) \`--\_//--'/ /|
| \ / \ / |
| \_ / ^ \ _/ |
| / | \ |
| / / SHELDON \ |
| / / \ |

Terry Coombs 07-02-2019 05:57 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

Â* Just always gotta have the last word eh sheldumb . OK , you got the
last word , I'm always wrong and you're always right . Revel in the
righteousness of yourself , bask in the glory of your own presence . I
humble and abase myself in the glory of your personal responses to my
poor and vain attempts to relate my experiences in the kitchen and in
any other endeavor I undertake , knowing that you will best me in every
case .
Â* And if you'll buy that I've got a bridge for sale cheap . You just
have to try to prove you're better than the rest of us , and it just
ain't so . Your insecurity must be a very heavy load . I do hope that
you are or will seek treatment for this mental shortcoming and can
someday live a normal and productive life . Until then , **** off and die .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

tert in seattle 07-02-2019 06:10 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 19:07:07 -0600, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:

>>> A We just finished , had baby clams in white wine sauce over spaghetti
>>> with a green salad on the side.

>> There's no such classification as "baby clams"... there are
>> essentially little neck, cherrystone and chowders... some people
>> classify clams smore precicely for in between sizes but there is no
>> classification as 'baby clams". Yoose gots to stay away from yoose
>> baby bees.

http://www.shoemakerlittlenecks.com/size.html

> A Oh **** off . It says on the can "Bumble Bee Premium Select Wild
>Fancy Whole BABY CLAMS" . Since I see they've been in business since
>1899 I suspect they know what they're talking about . And you obviously
>don't .

I don't know though, it seems unethical to eat baby clams, kind of like
veal

tert in seattle 07-02-2019 06:13 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

wrote:

>>> Right, now we can't use that word for the rest of the month. I'm
>>> waiting for March to use it again.

>> Hah! Lightly! Lightly! Lightly!
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>Now March 21st.

this thread has triggered suppressed childhood memories of violin practice

Lightly Row

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pUugVUxciU

tert in seattle 07-02-2019 06:16 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

writes:
>On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 7:53:50 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> Pan seared chuck eye steak. Lightly salted, then let it sit to absorb
>> and bring out the wonderful taste.
>>
>> I'll be roasting some cauliflower florets in the oven to go with it.
>> Lightly steamed first then layered on a sheet pan and lightly brushed
>> with olive oil, granulated garlic and S&P.
>>
>> Oh, I'll put some of that granulated garlic on the steak, too. :)
>> Cooked to medium rare.
>>
>> Jill

>Pan seared New York strip here, with a garlic and brandy pan sauce.
>Vermicelli with butter, basil, and garlic.
>Tossed salads with blue cheese dressing for him, balsamic vinaigrette for me.
>
>Beef and garlic. Great minds think alike.
>
>I've had a little pot of basil kicking around the kitchen for a couple
>of months. The halogen lights in the range hood seem to be keeping it
>going. Gardening. Heh.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

someone told me she tried pan frying a steak for the first time and
it came out with "too much crust" or something like that - she said
maybe next time she won't get the pan as hot

I don't do this much - me caveman, cook steak with fire - but in my
experience you want the pan blazing hot and don't want to leave the
steak on there for more than a minute on each side

any words of wisdom?

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 07-02-2019 07:02 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 1:20:06 PM UTC-5, tert in seattle wrote:
> writes:
> >On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 7:53:50 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> >> Pan seared chuck eye steak. Lightly salted, then let it sit to absorb
> >> and bring out the wonderful taste.
> >>
> >> I'll be roasting some cauliflower florets in the oven to go with it.
> >> Lightly steamed first then layered on a sheet pan and lightly brushed
> >> with olive oil, granulated garlic and S&P.
> >>
> >> Oh, I'll put some of that granulated garlic on the steak, too. :)
> >> Cooked to medium rare.
> >>
> >> Jill

> >Pan seared New York strip here, with a garlic and brandy pan sauce.
> >Vermicelli with butter, basil, and garlic.
> >Tossed salads with blue cheese dressing for him, balsamic vinaigrette for me.
> >
> >Beef and garlic. Great minds think alike.
> >
> >I've had a little pot of basil kicking around the kitchen for a couple
> >of months. The halogen lights in the range hood seem to be keeping it
> >going. Gardening. Heh.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> someone told me she tried pan frying a steak for the first time and
> it came out with "too much crust" or something like that - she said
> maybe next time she won't get the pan as hot
>
> I don't do this much - me caveman, cook steak with fire - but in my
> experience you want the pan blazing hot and don't want to leave the
> steak on there for more than a minute on each side
>
> any words of wisdom?

This was a fairly thick steak. I'm not sure "blazing hot" is
required. I gave it 4 minutes per side in a AllClad pan (not
cast iron), then rested it while I made the pan sauce. It was
maybe just past medium rare, which is ok for us. Still nice
and juicy. It had a good but not aggressive crust.

We like steak cooked with fire, too, but we just felt like a
pan sauce. Wish I'd had some heavy cream...

Cindy Hamilton

dsi1[_2_] 07-02-2019 07:02 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 8:20:06 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
> writes:
> >On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 7:53:50 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> >> Pan seared chuck eye steak. Lightly salted, then let it sit to absorb
> >> and bring out the wonderful taste.
> >>
> >> I'll be roasting some cauliflower florets in the oven to go with it.
> >> Lightly steamed first then layered on a sheet pan and lightly brushed
> >> with olive oil, granulated garlic and S&P.
> >>
> >> Oh, I'll put some of that granulated garlic on the steak, too. :)
> >> Cooked to medium rare.
> >>
> >> Jill

> >Pan seared New York strip here, with a garlic and brandy pan sauce.
> >Vermicelli with butter, basil, and garlic.
> >Tossed salads with blue cheese dressing for him, balsamic vinaigrette for me.
> >
> >Beef and garlic. Great minds think alike.
> >
> >I've had a little pot of basil kicking around the kitchen for a couple
> >of months. The halogen lights in the range hood seem to be keeping it
> >going. Gardening. Heh.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> someone told me she tried pan frying a steak for the first time and
> it came out with "too much crust" or something like that - she said
> maybe next time she won't get the pan as hot
>
> I don't do this much - me caveman, cook steak with fire - but in my
> experience you want the pan blazing hot and don't want to leave the
> steak on there for more than a minute on each side
>
> any words of wisdom?

Fry your steak in a good amount of oil at high heat. Flip and continue frying for about 15 seconds and then turn the heat down to med. Flip your steak every 90 seconds or so until done. Let rest a few minutes before... yadda, yadda, yadda.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...0kf4QiAFkFKoPE

Hank Rogers[_2_] 07-02-2019 08:28 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

Terry Coombs wrote:
> Just always gotta have the last word eh sheldumb . OK , you got the
> last word , I'm always wrong and you're always right . Revel in the
> righteousness of yourself , bask in the glory of your own presence . I
> humble and abase myself in the glory of your personal responses to my
> poor and vain attempts to relate my experiences in the kitchen and in
> any other endeavor I undertake , knowing that you will best me in every
> case .
> And if you'll buy that I've got a bridge for sale cheap . You just
> have to try to prove you're better than the rest of us , and it just
> ain't so . Your insecurity must be a very heavy load . I do hope that
> you are or will seek treatment for this mental shortcoming and can
> someday live a normal and productive life . Until then , **** off and die .

Glad yoose beginning to understand how Popeye works.

Terry Coombs 07-02-2019 08:45 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

On 2/7/2019 2:28 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote:
>> Â*Â* Just always gotta have the last word eh sheldumb . OK , you got the
>> last word , I'm always wrong and you're always right . Revel in the
>> righteousness of yourself , bask in the glory of your own presence . I
>> humble and abase myself in the glory of your personal responses to my
>> poor and vain attempts to relate my experiences in the kitchen and in
>> any other endeavor I undertake , knowing that you will best me in every
>> case .
>> Â*Â* And if you'll buy that I've got a bridge for sale cheap . You just
>> have to try to prove you're better than the rest of us , and it just
>> ain't so . Your insecurity must be a very heavy load . I do hope that
>> you are or will seek treatment for this mental shortcoming and can
>> someday live a normal and productive life . Until then , **** off and
>> die .
>>

> Glad yoose beginning to understand how Popeye works.

Â* Yeah , and he's a stalker of sorts too . Notice how lately he jumps
on everything I post like a duck on a bug ? A little constructive
criticism is one thing , but he seems hell-bent on proving me wrong in
whatever I post . Which is an artifact of his extreme insecurity and a
projection of his self-hatred . I really do hope he seeks help ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 07-02-2019 09:38 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

wrote:

>>> Hah! Lightly! Lightly! Lightly!
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Now March 21st.

> this thread has triggered suppressed childhood memories of violin practice
>

> Lightly Row

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pUugVUxciU

I had no interest as a child in learning a musical instrument. Wish I
had though, especially the violin. Don't know that I'd be good at it
but it looks so enjoyable to make music.

Jack Granade 07-02-2019 09:41 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

On 2/7/2019 1:26 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 6-Feb-2019, Hank Rogers > wrote:
>> Yoose have to take a pic, or Popeye will never believe yoose.
>>
>> He's from Missouri.

> Hey, that's insulting to Missourians. While Kuthe may be a bad seed
> Missourian, Sheldon is a bad example of humanity.

Well put.

Hank Rogers[_2_] 07-02-2019 09:42 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 2/7/2019 2:28 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> Terry Coombs wrote:
>>> Just always gotta have the last word eh sheldumb . OK , you got the
>>> last word , I'm always wrong and you're always right . Revel in the
>>> righteousness of yourself , bask in the glory of your own presence . I
>>> humble and abase myself in the glory of your personal responses to my
>>> poor and vain attempts to relate my experiences in the kitchen and in
>>> any other endeavor I undertake , knowing that you will best me in every
>>> case .
>>> And if you'll buy that I've got a bridge for sale cheap . You just
>>> have to try to prove you're better than the rest of us , and it just
>>> ain't so . Your insecurity must be a very heavy load . I do hope that
>>> you are or will seek treatment for this mental shortcoming and can
>>> someday live a normal and productive life . Until then , **** off and
>>> die .
>>>

>> Glad yoose beginning to understand how Popeye works.
>>

> Yeah , and he's a stalker of sorts too . Notice how lately he jumps
> on everything I post like a duck on a bug ? A little constructive
> criticism is one thing , but he seems hell-bent on proving me wrong in
> whatever I post . Which is an artifact of his extreme insecurity and a
> projection of his self-hatred . I really do hope he seeks help ...

Nice and kindly thoughts man, but Popeye is waay beyond any effective
help. He's been raped by so many women that it has left his psyche in
shreds.

Perhaps the best approach is for you to comply with all his demands, and
simply use the same things he claims are the best in the world ... or at
least don't let on that you actually cheat and use other non "popeye
approved" items.

Example: If he says yoose should **** in your pot of soup for seasoning,
say "Yowsa Popeye". You don't have to actually do it. Just cook your
soup as normal and enjoy it. Popeye will be happy, and go about his
daily snow plowing chores on his big ole tractor, high up in the
catskills at 15,000 feet, when its 50 below zero.

When yoose cut firewood, don't tell Popeye. Tell him that firewood
actually makes your house colder, so yoose have converted to natural gas
or propane, or heating oil.

[email protected] 07-02-2019 09:49 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

Ever need to get something just out of reach but don't want to drag
out a heavy cumbersome ladder... this is the one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043X1JBY...0043X1JBY&th=1
I ordered the five footer, at Amazon it costs $10 less than from
Lowe's. I already used it to replace the battery in a high-up wall
clock... will be great for replacing batteries in smoke alarms.
I actually bought it for reaching into deep upper kitchen cabinets...
it's far sturdier than our old step-stool... and I like that it has
something to grab onto from the top step. This is a high quality
product made in the USA:
https://littlegiantladders.com/
https://littlegiantladders.com/ladder/flip-n-lite/

Hank Rogers[_2_] 07-02-2019 09:51 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

l not -l wrote:
> On 6-Feb-2019, Hank Rogers > wrote:
>
>> Terry Coombs wrote:

http://www.shoemakerlittlenecks.com/size.html

>>> Oh **** off . It says on the can "Bumble Bee Premium Select Wild
>>> Fancy Whole BABY CLAMS" . Since I see they've been in business since
>>> 1899 I suspect they know what they're talking about . And you obviously
>>> don't .
>>>

>> Yoose have to take a pic, or Popeye will never believe yoose.
>>
>> He's from Missouri.

> Hey, that's insulting to Missourians. While Kuthe may be a bad seed
> Missourian, Sheldon is a bad example of humanity.

Sorry, yoose right. It's just an old saying ... the "show me" state. I
think even Truman used it.

Hank Rogers[_2_] 07-02-2019 09:52 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

Jack Granade wrote:
> On 2/7/2019 1:26 PM, l not -l wrote:
>> On 6-Feb-2019, Hank Rogers > wrote:
>>> Yoose have to take a pic, or Popeye will never believe yoose.
>>>
>>> He's from Missouri.

>> Hey, that's insulting to Missourians. While Kuthe may be a bad seed
>> Missourian, Sheldon is a bad example of humanity.
>>

> Well put.

Popeye is a bad example of a cockroach.

Hank Rogers[_2_] 07-02-2019 09:58 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

wrote:

>>> Now March 21st.

>> this thread has triggered suppressed childhood memories of violin
>> practice
>>

>> Lightly Row

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pUugVUxciU

> I had no interest as a child in learning a musical instrument. Wish I
> had though, especially the violin. Don't know that I'd be good at it
> but it looks so enjoyable to make music.

I can see you now ... cranking out a lively gypsy tune in front of a
crackling campfire.

Bruce[_28_] 07-02-2019 10:07 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

On Thu, 07 Feb 2019 16:49:04 -0500, wrote:

>Ever need to get something just out of reach but don't want to drag
>out a heavy cumbersome ladder... this is the one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043X1JBY...0043X1JBY&th=1
>I ordered the five footer, at Amazon it costs $10 less than from
>Lowe's. I already used it to replace the battery in a high-up wall
>clock... will be great for replacing batteries in smoke alarms.
>I actually bought it for reaching into deep upper kitchen cabinets...
>it's far sturdier than our old step-stool... and I like that it has
>something to grab onto from the top step. This is a high quality
>product made in the USA:
>https://littlegiantladders.com/
>https://littlegiantladders.com/ladder/flip-n-lite/

Let me summarize: if you need to get something just out of reach,
don't get out a ladder. Instead, get out a ladder!

Hank Rogers[_2_] 07-02-2019 10:18 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

wrote:
> Ever need to get something just out of reach but don't want to drag
> out a heavy cumbersome ladder... this is the one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043X1JBY...0043X1JBY&th=1
> I ordered the five footer, at Amazon it costs $10 less than from
> Lowe's. I already used it to replace the battery in a high-up wall
> clock... will be great for replacing batteries in smoke alarms.
> I actually bought it for reaching into deep upper kitchen cabinets...
> it's far sturdier than our old step-stool... and I like that it has
> something to grab onto from the top step. This is a high quality
> product made in the USA:
> https://littlegiantladders.com/
> https://littlegiantladders.com/ladder/flip-n-lite/

Popeye, yoose would need a ladder to inspect a cockroach's ass.

dsi1[_2_] 07-02-2019 10:18 PM

Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 8:20:06 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:

> this thread has triggered suppressed childhood memories of violin practice
>

> Lightly Row
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pUugVUxciU

Well, that's just horrible. Should learning to play an instrument be a stifling, painful, experience? I think not.