Old 11-02-2019, 11:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

Gary wrote:

Bruzo wrote:

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 18:33:24 -0600, "cshenk"
wrote:

Gary wrote:

Bruce wrote:

"cshenk" wrote:

Gary wrote:
Anyway, I never pan fry a steak using oil. It's just me but

it's not necessary.

I don't add oil either. I may add a ts or so of butter but am
most apt to add 2-3ts dashi to prevent sticking.

"Frying" a steak in stock to prevent sticking...

Not just "frying" in stock but in a seafood stock? A steak cooked
in a seafood stock? No wonder the Japanese lost the war in 1945.
A nasty country full of TIAD peoples. Oh sure..they like Usains
enough now but they sure didn't all those years ago.

Suit yoursel but then if you talk to Bruce, you are already on the
wrong side of the road. The 'stock' is very mild and works to not
add fat to a diet while retaining cast iron cure.

cshenkie's getting ditzier by the week. Now she's telling people who
they can talk to.

Name change for cshenk eh? Bruzo sounds like some kind of a
neighborhood bully. lol

That's just Bruce. I KF his nyms as they pop up.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

On 2/10/2019 2:55 PM, Gary wrote:
Bruce wrote:

"cshenk" wrote:

Gary wrote:
Anyway, I never pan fry a steak using oil. It's just me but
it's not necessary.

I don't add oil either. I may add a ts or so of butter but am
most apt to add 2-3ts dashi to prevent sticking.

"Frying" a steak in stock to prevent sticking...

Not just "frying" in stock but in a seafood stock? A steak cooked
in a seafood stock? No wonder the Japanese lost the war in 1945.
A nasty country full of TIAD peoples. Oh sure..they like Usains
enough now but they sure didn't all those years ago.

Hey, Carol can cook steak however she wants to. She was stationed at
Sasebo for 7 years and likes the Japanese way of cooking. If that
means steaks in in dashi... okay. dsi1 is the person who said "a
good amount of oil". All I can say is, we aren't the ones eating it.
I don't cook steak in oil nor do I ever use dashi.

Jill

Grin, no worries. 'Water Frying' was a term in Sasebo used to
translate how the local folks made some dishes. It's not technically
accurate of course, but meant to 'sizzle something in a little liquid
instead of fat' (the liquid would be cooked off and infuse the item and
it ended in a sound of 'frying' hence the term I was told).

When I google for ' Water Frying', I see some serious and some
humourous related posts about it. None seem to really match what my
neighbor showed me to do and called 'water frying'.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-10 9:20 p.m., Nancy2 wrote:
Dave, has your gardening friend tried sprinkles of predator ****?
It can be found at sporting goods stores. Or maybe his own would
work.......;-))

I don't know if he ever tried that but it is probably a good idea.
Farmer John who owns the nursery behind us gave us carte blanche to
walk our dogs on his property because he figures that their marking
will scare the deer away. He may be overestimated the power of
their ****.

LOL, but it does provide some deterrent
Old 12-02-2019, 12:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 6:09 p.m., cshenk wrote:
Dave Smith wrote:

I don't know if he ever tried that but it is probably a good idea.
Farmer John who owns the nursery behind us gave us carte blanche to
walk our dogs on his property because he figures that their marking
will scare the deer away. He may be overestimated the power of
their ****.

LOL, but it does provide some deterrent

Critters are funny about marking. I was walking my dog through the woods
behind us and had to pee, so I peed on the trail. My dog either has
super hearing or supper smell, but he came running and peed on the same
spot I had. When we walked back there the next day there was a pile or
coyote crap.
On another part of that trail there used to be a huge hornet nest in a
hole in the ground. I used to check on it once in a while. One morning I
when I had a look at it there was a pile of coyote crap down the hole.
That was one ballsy coyote.

Old 12-02-2019, 05:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 8:16:48 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

I do admit I sometimes brush a nice rested steak
with a bit of garlic butter.

Before I cook a steak I press in (on both sides)
at least cracked pepper, kosher salt, and garlic powder.
Normally a dried herb or two also but not always.

So many people will butter a steak. I never have but it's
probably good. I'll try it next steak if I remember to.

Some people will actually fry a steak in butter. That's crazy, the butter is going to get burnt all to hell! Of course, I'm going to try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbpIYAnt-7k

Old 12-02-2019, 07:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

Gary wrote:
I've never cared for boring cauliflower but brushing with oil
then roasting until browned sounds interesting to me. All I've
ever had was blah steamed. What seasoning do you add before
roasting if any?

Just a sprinkling of salt & pepper. The brush with oil and roasting
brings out a more complex taste. YMMV, of course. It's definitely not
the same as plain old steamed cauliflower. It doesn't require a cheese
sauce. I'm just guessing you're a fan of cheese sauce.

You guessed wrong. I've never in my life made a cheese sauce.
Many years ago I would grate a bit of cheddar cheese to top and
melt on broccoli. Last few years, I like broccoli plain with
just a nip of salt. Been eating that most nights for the last
several months too.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

Isn't their a comic strip where the bully's called Brutus?

I kind of remembered but then I did have to look it up...
Popeye cartoons. For awhile he was Bluto then changed to Brutus
for many years.

OR...you can go way back in history or at least to
Shakes-his-spear....
Julius Caesar was stabbed by all the Roman elite kids and
remember
one of his last things to say was, "Et tu Brute?" That guy was
Brutus.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 13:45:23 -0500, Gary wrote:

Bruce wrote:

Isn't their a comic strip where the bully's called Brutus?

I kind of remembered but then I did have to look it up...
Popeye cartoons. For awhile he was Bluto then changed to Brutus
for many years.

OR...you can go way back in history or at least to
Shakes-his-spear....
Julius Caesar was stabbed by all the Roman elite kids and
remember
one of his last things to say was, "Et tu Brute?" That guy was
Brutus.

Yes, it did vaguely remind me of Popeye:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20131011035519

Taking on Popeye... Bluto must have been blotto.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2019 1:45 PM, Gary wrote:
Bruce wrote:

Isn't their a comic strip where the bully's called Brutus?

I kind of remembered but then I did have to look it up...
Popeye cartoons. For awhile he was Bluto then changed to Brutus
for many years.

OR...you can go way back in history or at least to
Shakes-his-spear....
Julius Caesar was stabbed by all the Roman elite kids and
remember
one of his last things to say was, "Et tu Brute?" That guy was
Brutus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluto
Bluto is a cartoon and comics character created in 1932 by Elzie Crisler
Segar as a one-time character, named "Bluto the Terrible", in his
Thimble Theatre comic strip (later renamed Popeye). Bluto made his first
appearance September 12 of that year. Fleischer Studios adapted him the
next year (1933) to be the main antagonist of their theatrical Popeye
animated cartoon series
Old 12-02-2019, 08:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

Isn't their a comic strip where the bully's called Brutus?

I kind of remembered but then I did have to look it up...
Popeye cartoons. For awhile he was Bluto then changed to Brutus
for many years.

OR...you can go way back in history or at least to
Shakes-his-spear....
Julius Caesar was stabbed by all the Roman elite kids and
remember
one of his last things to say was, "Et tu Brute?" That guy was
Brutus.

Yes, it did vaguely remind me of Popeye:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20131011035519

Taking on Popeye... Bluto must have been blotto.

Nobody can beat Popeye ... he's the strongest man in the world.

Old 12-02-2019, 08:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

Isn't their a comic strip where the bully's called Brutus?

I kind of remembered but then I did have to look it up...
Popeye cartoons. For awhile he was Bluto then changed to Brutus
for many years.

OR...you can go way back in history or at least to
Shakes-his-spear....
Julius Caesar was stabbed by all the Roman elite kids and
remember
one of his last things to say was, "Et tu Brute?" That guy was
Brutus.

Yes, it did vaguely remind me of Popeye:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20131011035519

Taking on Popeye... Bluto must have been blotto.

Nobody can beat Popeye ... he's the strongest man in the world.

Even the nuns in the Vatican can't resist him.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 Gary wrote:

I've never cared for boring cauliflower but brushing with oil
then roasting until browned sounds interesting to me. All I've
ever had was blah steamed.

Pickled cauliflower florettes is excellent.... there are many recipes
on line... I like a mixture of pickled veggies; cauliflower, carrots,
turnips, etc. Peel the cauliflower stems and pickle those as well.
https://www.wikihow.com/Pickle-Cauliflower
Old 12-02-2019, 10:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 2:57:29 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 14:51:14 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 Gary wrote:

I've never cared for boring cauliflower but brushing with oil
then roasting until browned sounds interesting to me. All I've
ever had was blah steamed.

Pickled cauliflower florettes is excellent.... there are many recipes
on line... I like a mixture of pickled veggies; cauliflower, carrots,
turnips, etc. Peel the cauliflower stems and pickle those as well.
https://www.wikihow.com/Pickle-Cauliflower

It sounded interesting until I saw that huge amount of sugar.

I'm not fond of sweet-and-sour, either. Try this:

http://www.hipchickdigs.com/2008/08/making-a-dill-crock/

I learned this from my first husband's mother, who had a huge
garden.

Cindy Hamilton

Dinner last night/ dinner tonight U.S. Janet B. General Cooking 17 02-03-2018 02:19 PM
Dinner Tonight Jude General Cooking 0 24-04-2006 11:44 PM
Dinner tonight limey General Cooking 1 23-04-2006 07:59 PM
Tonight's Dinner Damsel General Cooking 24 13-07-2005 10:20 PM