Old 12-02-2019, 06:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

jmcquown wrote:

Gary wrote:
I've never cared for boring cauliflower but brushing with oil
then roasting until browned sounds interesting to me. All I've
ever had was blah steamed. What seasoning do you add before
roasting if any?

Just a sprinkling of salt & pepper. The brush with oil and roasting
brings out a more complex taste. YMMV, of course. It's definitely not
the same as plain old steamed cauliflower. It doesn't require a cheese
sauce. I'm just guessing you're a fan of cheese sauce.

You guessed wrong. I've never in my life made a cheese sauce.
Many years ago I would grate a bit of cheddar cheese to top and
melt on broccoli. Last few years, I like broccoli plain with
just a nip of salt. Been eating that most nights for the last
several months too.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

Isn't their a comic strip where the bully's called Brutus?

I kind of remembered but then I did have to look it up...
Popeye cartoons. For awhile he was Bluto then changed to Brutus
for many years.

OR...you can go way back in history or at least to
Shakes-his-spear....
Julius Caesar was stabbed by all the Roman elite kids and
remember
one of his last things to say was, "Et tu Brute?" That guy was
Brutus.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 13:45:23 -0500, Gary wrote:

Bruce wrote:

Isn't their a comic strip where the bully's called Brutus?

I kind of remembered but then I did have to look it up...
Popeye cartoons. For awhile he was Bluto then changed to Brutus
for many years.

OR...you can go way back in history or at least to
Shakes-his-spear....
Julius Caesar was stabbed by all the Roman elite kids and
remember
one of his last things to say was, "Et tu Brute?" That guy was
Brutus.

Yes, it did vaguely remind me of Popeye:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20131011035519

Taking on Popeye... Bluto must have been blotto.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2019 1:45 PM, Gary wrote:
Bruce wrote:

Isn't their a comic strip where the bully's called Brutus?

I kind of remembered but then I did have to look it up...
Popeye cartoons. For awhile he was Bluto then changed to Brutus
for many years.

OR...you can go way back in history or at least to
Shakes-his-spear....
Julius Caesar was stabbed by all the Roman elite kids and
remember
one of his last things to say was, "Et tu Brute?" That guy was
Brutus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluto
Bluto is a cartoon and comics character created in 1932 by Elzie Crisler
Segar as a one-time character, named "Bluto the Terrible", in his
Thimble Theatre comic strip (later renamed Popeye). Bluto made his first
appearance September 12 of that year. Fleischer Studios adapted him the
next year (1933) to be the main antagonist of their theatrical Popeye
animated cartoon series
Old 12-02-2019, 07:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

Isn't their a comic strip where the bully's called Brutus?

I kind of remembered but then I did have to look it up...
Popeye cartoons. For awhile he was Bluto then changed to Brutus
for many years.

OR...you can go way back in history or at least to
Shakes-his-spear....
Julius Caesar was stabbed by all the Roman elite kids and
remember
one of his last things to say was, "Et tu Brute?" That guy was
Brutus.

Yes, it did vaguely remind me of Popeye:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20131011035519

Taking on Popeye... Bluto must have been blotto.

Nobody can beat Popeye ... he's the strongest man in the world.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

Isn't their a comic strip where the bully's called Brutus?

I kind of remembered but then I did have to look it up...
Popeye cartoons. For awhile he was Bluto then changed to Brutus
for many years.

OR...you can go way back in history or at least to
Shakes-his-spear....
Julius Caesar was stabbed by all the Roman elite kids and
remember
one of his last things to say was, "Et tu Brute?" That guy was
Brutus.

Yes, it did vaguely remind me of Popeye:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20131011035519

Taking on Popeye... Bluto must have been blotto.

Nobody can beat Popeye ... he's the strongest man in the world.

Even the nuns in the Vatican can't resist him.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 Gary wrote:

I've never cared for boring cauliflower but brushing with oil
then roasting until browned sounds interesting to me. All I've
ever had was blah steamed.

Pickled cauliflower florettes is excellent.... there are many recipes
on line... I like a mixture of pickled veggies; cauliflower, carrots,
turnips, etc. Peel the cauliflower stems and pickle those as well.
https://www.wikihow.com/Pickle-Cauliflower
Old 12-02-2019, 09:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 2:57:29 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 14:51:14 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 Gary wrote:

I've never cared for boring cauliflower but brushing with oil
then roasting until browned sounds interesting to me. All I've
ever had was blah steamed.

Pickled cauliflower florettes is excellent.... there are many recipes
on line... I like a mixture of pickled veggies; cauliflower, carrots,
turnips, etc. Peel the cauliflower stems and pickle those as well.
https://www.wikihow.com/Pickle-Cauliflower

It sounded interesting until I saw that huge amount of sugar.

I'm not fond of sweet-and-sour, either. Try this:

http://www.hipchickdigs.com/2008/08/making-a-dill-crock/

I learned this from my first husband's mother, who had a huge
garden.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 12-02-2019, 09:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 Gary wrote:

I've never cared for boring cauliflower but brushing with oil
then roasting until browned sounds interesting to me. All I've
ever had was blah steamed.

Pickled cauliflower florettes is excellent.... there are many recipes
on line... I like a mixture of pickled veggies; cauliflower, carrots,
turnips, etc. Peel the cauliflower stems and pickle those as well.
https://www.wikihow.com/Pickle-Cauliflower

It sounded interesting until I saw that huge amount of sugar.

I'm not fond of sweet-and-sour, either. Try this:

http://www.hipchickdigs.com/2008/08/making-a-dill-crock/

I learned this from my first husband's mother, who had a huge
garden.

Cindy Hamilton

Thank you for that. Euelll Gibbons . . . there's a blast from the
past.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 Gary wrote:

I've never cared for boring cauliflower but brushing with oil
then roasting until browned sounds interesting to me. All I've
ever had was blah steamed.

Pickled cauliflower florettes is excellent.... there are many recipes
on line... I like a mixture of pickled veggies; cauliflower, carrots,
turnips, etc. Peel the cauliflower stems and pickle those as well.
https://www.wikihow.com/Pickle-Cauliflower

It sounded interesting until I saw that huge amount of sugar.

I'm not fond of sweet-and-sour, either. Try this:

http://www.hipchickdigs.com/2008/08/making-a-dill-crock/

I learned this from my first husband's mother, who had a huge
garden.

Cindy Hamilton

Thank you for that. Euelll Gibbons . . . there's a blast from the
past.

My former MIL did a great job with her crock. The purslane was
an especially nice addition. Yep, the weed found growing in
sidewalk cracks all over suburbia.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 12-02-2019, 10:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

I've grown "golden purslane" in the veggie patch in the past. It
didn't have much flavour, but it was fun to grow. Quite prolific.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 2:57:29 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 14:51:14 -0500, wrote:

Pickled cauliflower florettes is excellent.... there are many recipes
on line... I like a mixture of pickled veggies; cauliflower, carrots,
turnips, etc. Peel the cauliflower stems and pickle those as well.
https://www.wikihow.com/Pickle-Cauliflower

It sounded interesting until I saw that huge amount of sugar.

I'm not fond of sweet-and-sour, either. Try this:

http://www.hipchickdigs.com/2008/08/making-a-dill-crock/

I learned this from my first husband's mother, who had a huge
garden.

Thanks, I bookmarked it. I guess the environment in the jar is too
sour to allow anything like salmonella to develop.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 Gary wrote:

I've never cared for boring cauliflower but brushing with oil
then roasting until browned sounds interesting to me. All I've
ever had was blah steamed.

Pickled cauliflower florettes is excellent.... there are many recipes
on line... I like a mixture of pickled veggies; cauliflower, carrots,
turnips, etc. Peel the cauliflower stems and pickle those as well.
https://www.wikihow.com/Pickle-Cauliflower

I love the pickled cauliflower

Sounds intriguing. I'm going to try it.

Dinner last night/ dinner tonight U.S. Janet B. General Cooking 17 02-03-2018 01:19 PM
Dinner Tonight Jude General Cooking 0 24-04-2006 11:44 PM
Dinner tonight limey General Cooking 1 23-04-2006 07:59 PM
Tonight's Dinner Damsel General Cooking 24 13-07-2005 10:20 PM