Old 08-02-2019, 08:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

On 10:24 8 Feb 2019, "l not -l" wrote:

On 8-Feb-2019, Pamela wrote:

On 03:20 8 Feb 2019, Sqwertz wrote:

On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 11:57:10 -0600, Terry Coombs wrote:

* Just always gotta have the last word eh sheldumb . OK , you got
the
last word , I'm always wrong and you're always right . Revel in the
righteousness of yourself , bask in the glory of your own presence
. I humble and abase myself in the glory of your personal responses
to my poor and vain attempts to relate my experiences in the
kitchen and in any other endeavor I undertake , knowing that you
will best me in every case .
* And if you'll buy that I've got a bridge for sale cheap . You
just
have to try to prove you're better than the rest of us , and it
just ain't so . Your insecurity must be a very heavy load . I do
hope that you are or will seek treatment for this mental
shortcoming and can someday live a normal and productive life .
Until then , **** off and die .

You shouldn't feel the need to defend yourself against Sheldon.
We've all been targeted by his irate brain farts and supreme
ignorance of all things kitchen related. The only time you should
feel the need to give pause to rethink your position is when he
agrees with you on something.

History Lesson:

30 years ago here, when people were more refined and polite,

Wow, that's a long time. Do some people here now, really go back 30
years?

I remember Sheldon from very far back, maybe 25+ years, first on AOL
then usenet, in fountain pen related topics. There, he was always as
ridiculous as he is now; perhaps less vile curse words, but just as
mean/nasty, and wrong. As I recall, he had to keep changing nyms on
aol because he kept getting banned from groups.

Sounds like Sheldon was part of the Eternal September influx.

Am impressed that some people here would stay with the same newsgroup for
so long.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:

* Just always gotta have the last word eh sheldumb . OK , you got the
last word , I'm always wrong and you're always right . Revel in the
righteousness of yourself , bask in the glory of your own presence .
I humble and abase myself in the glory of your personal responses to
my poor and vain attempts to relate my experiences in the kitchen and
in any other endeavor I undertake , knowing that you will best me in
every case . * And if you'll buy that I've got a bridge for sale
cheap . You just have to try to prove you're better than the rest of
us , and it just ain't so . Your insecurity must be a very heavy load
. I do hope that you are or will seek treatment for this mental
shortcoming and can someday live a normal and productive life . Until
then , **** off and die .

LOL, don't worry about Sheldon!

BTW, we get the minced clams (I think they say baby but will have to
check) and Don adds them to canned tuna for a special tuna fish.

1 of the 3 to 4 cans will be those (all well squeezed) and we add a
little minced onion and then mayo to our desired level.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 18:44:10 -0600, "cshenk" wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

So when you add clams to tuna, you get a special tuna fish. I'll have
to remember that.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

Yes. It's called Salsa de Popeye's Mammy.

A table condiment at all the finer restaurants in the bronx and
Brooklyn. Also at most eating joints at the harbors and piers in new yawk.

Very salty with a distinct pungent fishy odor. Taste and smell
reminiscent of mildewed gym socks which have been urinated on.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:

* Just always gotta have the last word eh sheldumb . OK , you got the
last word , I'm always wrong and you're always right . Revel in the
righteousness of yourself , bask in the glory of your own presence .
I humble and abase myself in the glory of your personal responses to
my poor and vain attempts to relate my experiences in the kitchen and
in any other endeavor I undertake , knowing that you will best me in
every case . * And if you'll buy that I've got a bridge for sale
cheap . You just have to try to prove you're better than the rest of
us , and it just ain't so . Your insecurity must be a very heavy load
. I do hope that you are or will seek treatment for this mental
shortcoming and can someday live a normal and productive life . Until
then , **** off and die .

LOL, don't worry about Sheldon!

Coombs prefers to remain culinarily uneducated.

BTW, we get the minced clams (I think they say baby but will have to
check) and Don adds them to canned tuna for a special tuna fish.

I can't imagine canned clams and canned tuna together...TIAD... in
fact I tried tinned smoked clams once, never again. I much prefer
fresh clams on the half shell, I can munch dozens. I spent lots of
time slurping cherrystones on the half shell at Nathan's Coney Island
with Rheingold on tap. I can probably eat more cherrystones than Joey
Chestnut can eat hotdogs... I'd welcome the Cherrystone challange.
Slurping cherrystones ain't any different than slurpping fifteen year
old sweet pussy. Anyone who can swallow tube steak like Joey Chestnut
has to be a major faggot. I gaurantee I can out do him slurping
cherrystones on the half shell.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I use the BH&G beef loaf recipe for meatloaf; it holds together really well. Which means
one of my favorite ways to have leftover meatloaf is sliced and in a reg'lar white bread
sandwich, with butter on one side and yellow mustard on the other. If I have some head
lettuce, I add that. Now I want meatloaf. ;-))

My supper tonight was ham quiche, with diced celery and onion and a mix of sharp cheddar
and Swiss cheese (finely shredded). I had a bit of sour cream on the side. Sometimes I have
salsa, but usually with a sausage or bacon quiche. The side vegetable was stewed
tomatoes which reminded me of when I was young, and it would be our vegetable at dinner.
We lived on a farm until I was 7, and the extra tomatoes from the truck garden would be canned,
so my mom would add various seasonings to the tomatoes, making them into what was stewed
tomatoes. (I haven't ever met a tomato style I haven't liked.)

N.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-08 12:01 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
Bruce was teasing her about "lightly" everything.
Nice day there in SC -
I'm surprised she didn't lightly grill her steak.

;-D

I did notice the overuse of the word "lightly".

How very nice of you to critique Jill's posts. If only you could find
someone to edit yours to ensure continuity of your stories.

Oh! I'm sorry! Were you talking to me?

Old 10-02-2019, 11:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

Fry your steak in a good amount of oil at high heat. Flip and continue frying for about 15 seconds and then turn the heat down to med. Flip your steak every 90 seconds or so until done. Let rest a few minutes before... yadda, yadda, yadda.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...0kf4QiAFkFKoPE

Your plate looks good but (you know there's always going to be a
"but..." here. hheheh
Why fry in "a good amount of oil?" I get a dry pan screaming hot,
sear on each side for 1-2 minutes, then turn down to medium for a
minute or two on each side. Perfect medium rare every time.

While it's resting, I'll deglaze the pan with some onions and
mushrooms, TBS or so butter, then a little water and a nip of
Merlot. Stir and simmer until reduced a bit.

Anyway, I never pan fry a steak using oil. It's just me but it's
not necessary.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2019 5:22 AM, Gary wrote:
dsi1 wrote:

Fry your steak in a good amount of oil at high heat. Flip and continue frying for about 15 seconds and then turn the heat down to med. Flip your steak every 90 seconds or so until done. Let rest a few minutes before... yadda, yadda, yadda.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...0kf4QiAFkFKoPE

Your plate looks good but (you know there's always going to be a
"but..." here. hheheh
Why fry in "a good amount of oil?" I get a dry pan screaming hot,
sear on each side for 1-2 minutes, then turn down to medium for a
minute or two on each side. Perfect medium rare every time.

While it's resting, I'll deglaze the pan with some onions and
mushrooms, TBS or so butter, then a little water and a nip of
Merlot. Stir and simmer until reduced a bit.

Anyway, I never pan fry a steak using oil. It's just me but it's
not necessary.

I agree, Gary. I never add oil to the pan when frying steak. I also
don't keep flipping it.

Jill
Old 10-02-2019, 03:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/7/2019 9:29 AM, Gary wrote:
Nice day there in SC -
I'm surprised she didn't lightly grill her steak.

;-D

Sorry, I seem to have run out of adjectives.

It was a very nice day in SC but I didn't feel like futzing with the
charcoal grill for one small steak. I could have grilled the
cauliflower florets, too, over indirect heat in a grill basket (so they
don't fall between the grates). I'm just not a huge fan of grilling
unless I'm cooking something like ribs alongside something else. IOW,
larger portions.

Jill
Old 10-02-2019, 04:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

Gary wrote:
Why fry in "a good amount of oil?" I get a dry pan screaming hot,
sear on each side for 1-2 minutes, then turn down to medium for a
minute or two on each side. Perfect medium rare every time.

While it's resting, I'll deglaze the pan with some onions and
mushrooms, TBS or so butter, then a little water and a nip of
Merlot. Stir and simmer until reduced a bit.

Anyway, I never pan fry a steak using oil. It's just me but it's
not necessary.

I agree, Gary. I never add oil to the pan when frying steak. I also
don't keep flipping it.

I also wanted to add 2 more comments to Dsi1
1) I've flipped other pans of things but never a steak.
Who the hell flips a steak? I use a fork on the end
to turn it over a few times

2) On the same note, Dsi1 cooks a steak
in "a good amount of oil." Then he flips it a few
times while it's cooking? In a "good amount of oil?"
That sounds way more than a bit messy to me.

And a note to Dsi1 today, Sunday Feb 10. Looking at weather today
I see that Oahu has a big storm going on today with large
dangerous surf. You should drive to the north shore and watch
some of those awesome waves and the surfers that dare to go out
in them. Fun to do!
Old 10-02-2019, 04:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

On 2/7/2019 9:29 AM, Gary wrote:
Nice day there in SC -
I'm surprised she didn't lightly grill her steak.

;-D

Sorry, I seem to have run out of adjectives.

It was a very nice day in SC but I didn't feel like futzing with the
charcoal grill for one small steak. I could have grilled the
cauliflower florets, too, over indirect heat in a grill basket (so they
don't fall between the grates). I'm just not a huge fan of grilling
unless I'm cooking something like ribs alongside something else. IOW,
larger portions.

Just a gentle tease to you. I haven't been allowed to grill here
for many years but I don't care. Even back then, I rarely did it.
Pan frying does all I need.

I've never cared for boring cauliflower but brushing with oil
then roasting until browned sounds interesting to me. All I've
ever had was blah steamed. What seasoning do you add before
roasting if any?

Dinner last night/ dinner tonight U.S. Janet B. General Cooking 17 02-03-2018 02:19 PM
Dinner Tonight Jude General Cooking 0 24-04-2006 11:44 PM
Dinner tonight limey General Cooking 1 23-04-2006 07:59 PM
Tonight's Dinner Damsel General Cooking 24 13-07-2005 10:20 PM