Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 14:14:12 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 2/10/2019 1:16 PM, Gary wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:
>>> Careful, when Gary says 'tease' it's gonna get nasty!

>> Only in your hillbilly outback mind.
>> Serious question to you, pal....why do you have
>> barbed wire fence around your property?

>Probably the same reason I have barbed wire - to keep out animals.
>It's actually a requirement listed in the feu charter for the property.
>We have nice drystane walls around most of the place, with stock
>fencing, topped with barbed wire, in front of that. It keeps out the
>sheep and the cattle, but not the deer.

Same here. We need to keep roaming cattle and horses out, but the
wallabies and kangaroos still have access. They duck under the lowest
fence wire or slip between two wires at high speed, without even
slowing down much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote:
>
> >Gary wrote:
> >> Anyway, I never pan fry a steak using oil. It's just me but it's
> >> not necessary.

> >I don't add oil either. I may add a ts or so of butter but am most apt
> >to add 2-3ts dashi to prevent sticking.

> "Frying" a steak in stock to prevent sticking...

Not just "frying" in stock but in a seafood stock? A steak cooked
in a seafood stock? No wonder the Japanese lost the war in 1945.
A nasty country full of TIAD peoples. Oh sure..they like Usains
enough now but they sure didn't all those years ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-10 2:14 p.m., S Viemeister wrote:
> On 2/10/2019 1:16 PM, Gary wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:
>>> Careful, when Gary says 'tease' it's gonna get nasty!

>> Only in your hillbilly outback mind.
>> Serious question to you, pal....why do you have
>> barbed wire fence around your property?

> Probably the same reason I have barbed wire - to keep out animals.
> It's actually a requirement listed in the feu charter for the property.
> We have nice drystane walls around most of the place, with stock
> fencing, topped with barbed wire, in front of that. It keeps out the
> sheep and the cattle, but not the deer.

My best friend's parents had a beautiful house and property in the
mountains on Vancouver Island. They always had beautiful gardens in the
homes they lived in over the years, but it was a special challenge for
them because of the deer. He tried everything he could think of to keep
those critters away from the garden.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 14:55:57 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:

>> >I don't add oil either. I may add a ts or so of butter but am most apt
>> >to add 2-3ts dashi to prevent sticking.

>> "Frying" a steak in stock to prevent sticking...

>Not just "frying" in stock but in a seafood stock? A steak cooked
>in a seafood stock? No wonder the Japanese lost the war in 1945.
>A nasty country full of TIAD peoples. Oh sure..they like Usains
>enough now but they sure didn't all those years ago.

Don't tell my mother, but I love lots of Japanese food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:22:08 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > Fry your steak in a good amount of oil at high heat. Flip and continue frying for about 15 seconds and then turn the heat down to med. Flip your steak every 90 seconds or so until done. Let rest a few minutes before... yadda, yadda, yadda.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...0kf4QiAFkFKoPE

> Your plate looks good but (you know there's always going to be a
> "but..." here. hheheh
> Why fry in "a good amount of oil?" I get a dry pan screaming hot,
> sear on each side for 1-2 minutes, then turn down to medium for a
> minute or two on each side. Perfect medium rare every time.
>
> While it's resting, I'll deglaze the pan with some onions and
> mushrooms, TBS or so butter, then a little water and a nip of
> Merlot. Stir and simmer until reduced a bit.
>
> Anyway, I never pan fry a steak using oil. It's just me but it's
> not necessary.

Oil is used to improve the heat transfer efficiency when frying. I use a lot of oil so I can get predictable results. A steak cooked with a good amount of oil is also going to be more attractive than one cooked in a dry pan. The frequent flipping at med heat is just a way to keep heat flowing smoothly through the steak without overheating the outside edges.

I got a carbon steel pan that can get very hot, very fast, but there's no way I'm going to get it screaming hot without oil. That's just pan abuse. I love my pan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 14:55:57 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Bruce wrote:

>>> "Frying" a steak in stock to prevent sticking...

>> Not just "frying" in stock but in a seafood stock? A steak cooked
>> in a seafood stock? No wonder the Japanese lost the war in 1945.
>> A nasty country full of TIAD peoples. Oh sure..they like Usains
>> enough now but they sure didn't all those years ago.

> Don't tell my mother, but I love lots of Japanese food.

Yeah, they only lost the war because we bombed them with our great
steaks. They ate so much, they were too stuffed to fight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2019 10:27 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> On 2/7/2019 9:29 AM, Gary wrote:
>>> Nice day there in SC -
>>> I'm surprised she didn't lightly grill her steak.
>>>
>>> ;-D

>> Sorry, I seem to have run out of adjectives.
>>
>> It was a very nice day in SC but I didn't feel like futzing with the
>> charcoal grill for one small steak. I could have grilled the
>> cauliflower florets, too, over indirect heat in a grill basket (so they
>> don't fall between the grates). I'm just not a huge fan of grilling
>> unless I'm cooking something like ribs alongside something else. IOW,
>> larger portions.

> Just a gentle tease to you. I haven't been allowed to grill here
> for many years but I don't care. Even back then, I rarely did it.
> Pan frying does all I need.

As I said, if I was cooking some of my marinated country ribs with, oh,
some soaked ears of corn in the husk, okay. One steak and some
cauliflower? Nope. I enjoy grilled food but it's not a requirement.
If I didn't have a kitchen (or if the power was out for days - which has
happened but not recently) - it's nice to know the grill is there.

> I've never cared for boring cauliflower but brushing with oil
> then roasting until browned sounds interesting to me. All I've
> ever had was blah steamed. What seasoning do you add before
> roasting if any?

Just a sprinkling of salt & pepper. The brush with oil and roasting
brings out a more complex taste. YMMV, of course. It's definitely not
the same as plain old steamed cauliflower. It doesn't require a cheese
sauce. I'm just guessing you're a fan of cheese sauce.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Butter on Steak (WAS: Dinner tonight (2/6/19) )

On 2/10/2019 1:17 PM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I do admit I sometimes brush a nice rested steak
>> with a bit of garlic butter.

> Before I cook a steak I press in (on both sides)
> at least cracked pepper, kosher salt, and garlic powder.
> Normally a dried herb or two also but not always.
>
> So many people will butter a steak. I never have but it's
> probably good. I'll try it next steak if I remember to.

I gather putting butter on a *cooked* steak is an old idea. I've
sprinkled steaks with garlic powder before, sure. It's fine.

But sometimes I like to add minced garlic when I pan fry it. About
halfway through cooking it. By then the heat is low enough the garlic
doesn't burn. The steak gets a little flavour from the garlic. When I
take the steak out to rest I add some butter to the fond left from the
steak. Stir until the butter is melted and make sure the garlic doesn't
burn. Brush it over the steak. Not essential, but very tasty.

Over the years I've read compound herb butters are also good on steak.
Some fancy restaurants offer things like that. I really wouldn't know.

Anyone care to chime in about butter on steaks?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2019 11:57 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I sometimes smear some oil on a steak before it goes on the grill.

You should probably be smearing that oil on the grill, not on the steak.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Bruce wrote:

> > > I don't add oil either. I may add a ts or so of butter but am
> > > most apt to add 2-3ts dashi to prevent sticking.

> > "Frying" a steak in stock to prevent sticking...

> Not just "frying" in stock but in a seafood stock? A steak cooked
> in a seafood stock? No wonder the Japanese lost the war in 1945.
> A nasty country full of TIAD peoples. Oh sure..they like Usains
> enough now but they sure didn't all those years ago.

Suit yoursel but then if you talk to Bruce, you are already on the
wrong side of the road. The 'stock' is very mild and works to not add
fat to a diet while retaining cast iron cure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2019 2:55 PM, Gary wrote:
> Bruce wrote:

>>> I don't add oil either. I may add a ts or so of butter but am most apt
>>> to add 2-3ts dashi to prevent sticking.

>> "Frying" a steak in stock to prevent sticking...

> Not just "frying" in stock but in a seafood stock? A steak cooked
> in a seafood stock? No wonder the Japanese lost the war in 1945.
> A nasty country full of TIAD peoples. Oh sure..they like Usains
> enough now but they sure didn't all those years ago.

Hey, Carol can cook steak however she wants to. She was stationed at
Sasebo for 7 years and likes the Japanese way of cooking. If that means
steaks in in dashi... okay. dsi1 is the person who said "a good amount
of oil". All I can say is, we aren't the ones eating it. I don't cook
steak in oil nor do I ever use dashi.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 19:29:22 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/10/2019 11:57 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I sometimes smear some oil on a steak before it goes on the grill.
>>

>You should probably be smearing that oil on the grill, not on the steak.
>
>Jill

both is appropriate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave, has your gardening friend tried sprinkles of predator ****? It can be found at sporting
goods stores. Or maybe his own would work.......;-))

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-10 9:20 p.m., Nancy2 wrote:
> Dave, has your gardening friend tried sprinkles of predator ****? It can be found at sporting
> goods stores. Or maybe his own would work.......;-))

I don't know if he ever tried that but it is probably a good idea.
Farmer John who owns the nursery behind us gave us carte blanche to walk
our dogs on his property because he figures that their marking will
scare the deer away. He may be overestimated the power of their ****.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 18:33:24 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Gary wrote:
>
>> Bruce wrote:

>> > "Frying" a steak in stock to prevent sticking...

>> Not just "frying" in stock but in a seafood stock? A steak cooked
>> in a seafood stock? No wonder the Japanese lost the war in 1945.
>> A nasty country full of TIAD peoples. Oh sure..they like Usains
>> enough now but they sure didn't all those years ago.

>Suit yoursel but then if you talk to Bruce, you are already on the
>wrong side of the road. The 'stock' is very mild and works to not add
>fat to a diet while retaining cast iron cure.

cshenkie's getting ditzier by the week. Now she's telling people who
they can talk to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruzo wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 18:33:24 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >Gary wrote:

> >> Not just "frying" in stock but in a seafood stock? A steak cooked
> >> in a seafood stock? No wonder the Japanese lost the war in 1945.
> >> A nasty country full of TIAD peoples. Oh sure..they like Usains
> >> enough now but they sure didn't all those years ago.

> >Suit yoursel but then if you talk to Bruce, you are already on the
> >wrong side of the road. The 'stock' is very mild and works to not add
> >fat to a diet while retaining cast iron cure.

> cshenkie's getting ditzier by the week. Now she's telling people who
> they can talk to.

Name change for cshenk eh? Bruzo sounds like some kind of a
neighborhood bully. lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 09:07:02 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruzo wrote:

>> >Suit yoursel but then if you talk to Bruce, you are already on the
>> >wrong side of the road. The 'stock' is very mild and works to not add
>> >fat to a diet while retaining cast iron cure.

>> cshenkie's getting ditzier by the week. Now she's telling people who
>> they can talk to.

>Name change for cshenk eh? Bruzo sounds like some kind of a
>neighborhood bully. lol

Yeah, she did the cowardly thing of killfiling someone and then
bitching about them.

Isn't their a comic strip where the bully's called Brutus?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Bruce wrote:

> > > I don't add oil either. I may add a ts or so of butter but am
> > > most apt to add 2-3ts dashi to prevent sticking.

> > "Frying" a steak in stock to prevent sticking...

> Not just "frying" in stock but in a seafood stock? A steak cooked
> in a seafood stock? No wonder the Japanese lost the war in 1945.
> A nasty country full of TIAD peoples. Oh sure..they like Usains
> enough now but they sure didn't all those years ago.

LOL, I guess it does sound a little odd! It's only a little dashi and
I can tell you've not tasted it or you'd know it has almost no 'fish
flavor'. I think you missed that it was 2-3 Teaspoons.

Sorry about the sticking comment placement, that was meant to refer to
the butter. However, the minimal dashi doesn't cause sticking either.
More of an instant umami effect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/10/2019 1:17 PM, Gary wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> > >
> > > I do admit I sometimes brush a nice rested steak
> > > with a bit of garlic butter.

> > Before I cook a steak I press in (on both sides)
> > at least cracked pepper, kosher salt, and garlic powder.
> > Normally a dried herb or two also but not always.
> >
> > So many people will butter a steak. I never have but it's
> > probably good. I'll try it next steak if I remember to.
> >

> I gather putting butter on a cooked steak is an old idea. I've
> sprinkled steaks with garlic powder before, sure. It's fine.
>
> But sometimes I like to add minced garlic when I pan fry it. About
> halfway through cooking it. By then the heat is low enough the
> garlic doesn't burn. The steak gets a little flavour from the
> garlic. When I take the steak out to rest I add some butter to the
> fond left from the steak. Stir until the butter is melted and make
> sure the garlic doesn't burn. Brush it over the steak. Not
> essential, but very tasty.
>
> Over the years I've read compound herb butters are also good on
> steak. Some fancy restaurants offer things like that. I really
> wouldn't know.
>
> Anyone care to chime in about butter on steaks?
>
> Jill

I do like it when I think of it but probably the most common time when
it comes in, is when I sautee mushrooms, bell peppers, onions and a bit
of garlic to top the steak, in butter. I then pour it 'butter and all'
over the steak and enjoy it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Bruzo wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 18:33:24 -0600, "cshenk" >
> > wrote:

> > it's >> > >> not necessary.

> > > Suit yoursel but then if you talk to Bruce, you are already on the
> > > wrong side of the road. The 'stock' is very mild and works to not
> > > add fat to a diet while retaining cast iron cure.

> > cshenkie's getting ditzier by the week. Now she's telling people who
> > they can talk to.

> Name change for cshenk eh? Bruzo sounds like some kind of a
> neighborhood bully. lol

That's just Bruce. I KF his nyms as they pop up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/10/2019 2:55 PM, Gary wrote:
> > Bruce wrote:

> > > "Frying" a steak in stock to prevent sticking...

> > Not just "frying" in stock but in a seafood stock? A steak cooked
> > in a seafood stock? No wonder the Japanese lost the war in 1945.
> > A nasty country full of TIAD peoples. Oh sure..they like Usains
> > enough now but they sure didn't all those years ago.
> >

> Hey, Carol can cook steak however she wants to. She was stationed at
> Sasebo for 7 years and likes the Japanese way of cooking. If that
> means steaks in in dashi... okay. dsi1 is the person who said "a
> good amount of oil". All I can say is, we aren't the ones eating it.
> I don't cook steak in oil nor do I ever use dashi.
>
> Jill

Grin, no worries. 'Water Frying' was a term in Sasebo used to
translate how the local folks made some dishes. It's not technically
accurate of course, but meant to 'sizzle something in a little liquid
instead of fat' (the liquid would be cooked off and infuse the item and
it ended in a sound of 'frying' hence the term I was told).

When I google for ' Water Frying', I see some serious and some
humourous related posts about it. None seem to really match what my
neighbor showed me to do and called 'water frying'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2019-02-10 9:20 p.m., Nancy2 wrote:
> > Dave, has your gardening friend tried sprinkles of predator ****?
> > It can be found at sporting goods stores. Or maybe his own would
> > work.......;-))
> >

> I don't know if he ever tried that but it is probably a good idea.
> Farmer John who owns the nursery behind us gave us carte blanche to
> walk our dogs on his property because he figures that their marking
> will scare the deer away. He may be overestimated the power of
> their ****.

LOL, but it does provide some deterrent
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 6:09 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> I don't know if he ever tried that but it is probably a good idea.
>> Farmer John who owns the nursery behind us gave us carte blanche to
>> walk our dogs on his property because he figures that their marking
>> will scare the deer away. He may be overestimated the power of
>> their ****.

> LOL, but it does provide some deterrent

Critters are funny about marking. I was walking my dog through the woods
behind us and had to pee, so I peed on the trail. My dog either has
super hearing or supper smell, but he came running and peed on the same
spot I had. When we walked back there the next day there was a pile or
coyote crap.
On another part of that trail there used to be a huge hornet nest in a
hole in the ground. I used to check on it once in a while. One morning I
when I had a look at it there was a pile of coyote crap down the hole.
That was one ballsy coyote.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 8:16:48 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > I do admit I sometimes brush a nice rested steak
> > with a bit of garlic butter.

> Before I cook a steak I press in (on both sides)
> at least cracked pepper, kosher salt, and garlic powder.
> Normally a dried herb or two also but not always.
>
> So many people will butter a steak. I never have but it's
> probably good. I'll try it next steak if I remember to.

Some people will actually fry a steak in butter. That's crazy, the butter is going to get burnt all to hell! Of course, I'm going to try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbpIYAnt-7k

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > I've never cared for boring cauliflower but brushing with oil
> > then roasting until browned sounds interesting to me. All I've
> > ever had was blah steamed. What seasoning do you add before
> > roasting if any?
> >

> Just a sprinkling of salt & pepper. The brush with oil and roasting
> brings out a more complex taste. YMMV, of course. It's definitely not
> the same as plain old steamed cauliflower. It doesn't require a cheese
> sauce. I'm just guessing you're a fan of cheese sauce.

You guessed wrong. I've never in my life made a cheese sauce.
Many years ago I would grate a bit of cheddar cheese to top and
melt on broccoli. Last few years, I like broccoli plain with
just a nip of salt. Been eating that most nights for the last
several months too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Isn't their a comic strip where the bully's called Brutus?

I kind of remembered but then I did have to look it up...
Popeye cartoons. For awhile he was Bluto then changed to Brutus
for many years.

OR...you can go way back in history or at least to
Shakes-his-spear....
Julius Caesar was stabbed by all the Roman elite kids and
remember
one of his last things to say was, "Et tu Brute?" That guy was
Brutus.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 13:45:23 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Isn't their a comic strip where the bully's called Brutus?

>I kind of remembered but then I did have to look it up...
>Popeye cartoons. For awhile he was Bluto then changed to Brutus
>for many years.
>
>OR...you can go way back in history or at least to
>Shakes-his-spear....
>Julius Caesar was stabbed by all the Roman elite kids and
>remember
>one of his last things to say was, "Et tu Brute?" That guy was
>Brutus.

Yes, it did vaguely remind me of Popeye:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20131011035519

Taking on Popeye... Bluto must have been blotto.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2019 1:45 PM, Gary wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Isn't their a comic strip where the bully's called Brutus?

> I kind of remembered but then I did have to look it up...
> Popeye cartoons. For awhile he was Bluto then changed to Brutus
> for many years.
>
> OR...you can go way back in history or at least to
> Shakes-his-spear....
> Julius Caesar was stabbed by all the Roman elite kids and
> remember
> one of his last things to say was, "Et tu Brute?" That guy was
> Brutus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluto
Bluto is a cartoon and comics character created in 1932 by Elzie Crisler
Segar as a one-time character, named "Bluto the Terrible", in his
Thimble Theatre comic strip (later renamed Popeye). Bluto made his first
appearance September 12 of that year. Fleischer Studios adapted him the
next year (1933) to be the main antagonist of their theatrical Popeye
animated cartoon series
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 13:45:23 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> Isn't their a comic strip where the bully's called Brutus?

>> I kind of remembered but then I did have to look it up...
>> Popeye cartoons. For awhile he was Bluto then changed to Brutus
>> for many years.
>>
>> OR...you can go way back in history or at least to
>> Shakes-his-spear....
>> Julius Caesar was stabbed by all the Roman elite kids and
>> remember
>> one of his last things to say was, "Et tu Brute?" That guy was
>> Brutus.
>>

> Yes, it did vaguely remind me of Popeye:
>
> https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20131011035519
>
> Taking on Popeye... Bluto must have been blotto.

Nobody can beat Popeye ... he's the strongest man in the world.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 13:34:13 -0600, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:

>>> I kind of remembered but then I did have to look it up...
>>> Popeye cartoons. For awhile he was Bluto then changed to Brutus
>>> for many years.
>>>
>>> OR...you can go way back in history or at least to
>>> Shakes-his-spear....
>>> Julius Caesar was stabbed by all the Roman elite kids and
>>> remember
>>> one of his last things to say was, "Et tu Brute?" That guy was
>>> Brutus.
>>>

>> Yes, it did vaguely remind me of Popeye:
>>
>> https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20131011035519
>>
>> Taking on Popeye... Bluto must have been blotto.
>>

>Nobody can beat Popeye ... he's the strongest man in the world.

Even the nuns in the Vatican can't resist him.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 Gary wrote:

> I've never cared for boring cauliflower but brushing with oil
> then roasting until browned sounds interesting to me. All I've
> ever had was blah steamed.

Pickled cauliflower florettes is excellent.... there are many recipes
on line... I like a mixture of pickled veggies; cauliflower, carrots,
turnips, etc. Peel the cauliflower stems and pickle those as well.
https://www.wikihow.com/Pickle-Cauliflower
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 2:57:29 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 14:51:14 -0500, wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 Gary wrote:
> >>
> >> I've never cared for boring cauliflower but brushing with oil
> >> then roasting until browned sounds interesting to me. All I've
> >> ever had was blah steamed.

> >Pickled cauliflower florettes is excellent.... there are many recipes
> >on line... I like a mixture of pickled veggies; cauliflower, carrots,
> >turnips, etc. Peel the cauliflower stems and pickle those as well.

https://www.wikihow.com/Pickle-Cauliflower

> It sounded interesting until I saw that huge amount of sugar.

I'm not fond of sweet-and-sour, either. Try this:

<http://www.hipchickdigs.com/2008/08/making-a-dill-crock/>

I learned this from my first husband's mother, who had a huge
garden.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 13:03:46 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 2:57:29 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

>> >Pickled cauliflower florettes is excellent.... there are many recipes
>> >on line... I like a mixture of pickled veggies; cauliflower, carrots,
>> >turnips, etc. Peel the cauliflower stems and pickle those as well.

https://www.wikihow.com/Pickle-Cauliflower

>> It sounded interesting until I saw that huge amount of sugar.

>I'm not fond of sweet-and-sour, either. Try this:
>
><http://www.hipchickdigs.com/2008/08/making-a-dill-crock/>
>
>I learned this from my first husband's mother, who had a huge
>garden.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Thank you for that. Euelll Gibbons . . . there's a blast from the
past.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 4:44:09 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 13:03:46 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

https://www.wikihow.com/Pickle-Cauliflower

> >> It sounded interesting until I saw that huge amount of sugar.

> >I'm not fond of sweet-and-sour, either. Try this:
> >
> ><http://www.hipchickdigs.com/2008/08/making-a-dill-crock/>
> >
> >I learned this from my first husband's mother, who had a huge
> >garden.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> Thank you for that. Euelll Gibbons . . . there's a blast from the
> past.

My former MIL did a great job with her crock. The purslane was
an especially nice addition. Yep, the weed found growing in
sidewalk cracks all over suburbia.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 13:50:22 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 4:44:09 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 13:03:46 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

https://www.wikihow.com/Pickle-Cauliflower

>> >I'm not fond of sweet-and-sour, either. Try this:
>> >
>> ><http://www.hipchickdigs.com/2008/08/making-a-dill-crock/>
>> >
>> >I learned this from my first husband's mother, who had a huge
>> >garden.
>> >
>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> Thank you for that. Euelll Gibbons . . . there's a blast from the
>> past.

>My former MIL did a great job with her crock. The purslane was
>an especially nice addition. Yep, the weed found growing in
>sidewalk cracks all over suburbia.

I've grown "golden purslane" in the veggie patch in the past. It
didn't have much flavour, but it was fun to grow. Quite prolific.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 13:03:46 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 2:57:29 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 14:51:14 -0500, wrote:
>>
>> >Pickled cauliflower florettes is excellent.... there are many recipes
>> >on line... I like a mixture of pickled veggies; cauliflower, carrots,
>> >turnips, etc. Peel the cauliflower stems and pickle those as well.

https://www.wikihow.com/Pickle-Cauliflower

>> It sounded interesting until I saw that huge amount of sugar.

>I'm not fond of sweet-and-sour, either. Try this:
>
><http://www.hipchickdigs.com/2008/08/making-a-dill-crock/>
>
>I learned this from my first husband's mother, who had a huge
>garden.

Thanks, I bookmarked it. I guess the environment in the jar is too
sour to allow anything like salmonella to develop.

Dinner last night/ dinner tonight U.S. Janet B. General Cooking 17 02-03-2018 01:19 PM
Dinner Tonight Jude General Cooking 0 24-04-2006 11:44 PM
Dinner tonight limey General Cooking 1 23-04-2006 07:59 PM
Tonight's Dinner Damsel General Cooking 24 13-07-2005 10:20 PM