Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043X1JBY...0043X1JBY&th=1
>> I ordered the five footer, at Amazon it costs $10 less than from
>> Lowe's. I already used it to replace the battery in a high-up wall
>> clock... will be great for replacing batteries in smoke alarms.
>> I actually bought it for reaching into deep upper kitchen cabinets...
>> it's far sturdier than our old step-stool... and I like that it has
>> something to grab onto from the top step. This is a high quality
>> product made in the USA:
>> https://littlegiantladders.com/
>> https://littlegiantladders.com/ladder/flip-n-lite/

> Let me summarize: if you need to get something just out of reach,
> don't get out a ladder. Instead, get out a ladder!

Make a note: Buy this product, or remember to tell Popeye that yoose
have it and love it and it is the best on the planet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 14:18:44 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 8:20:06 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
>>

>> this thread has triggered suppressed childhood memories of violin practice
>>

>> Lightly Row
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pUugVUxciU

>Well, that's just horrible. Should learning to play an instrument be a stifling, painful, experience? I think not.

When I'd have to go to music lesson, I'd lock myself up in the
bathroom, hoping my parents would forget.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 14:18:44 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 8:20:06 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
>>>

>>> this thread has triggered suppressed childhood memories of violin practice
>>>

>>> Lightly Row
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pUugVUxciU

>> Well, that's just horrible. Should learning to play an instrument be a stifling, painful, experience? I think not.

> When I'd have to go to music lesson, I'd lock myself up in the
> bathroom, hoping my parents would forget.

Popeye has been deftly playing the skin flute for half a century.

He even taught his brother.

For decades, they made music with each others flutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.shoemakerlittlenecks.com/size.html

>>> Oh **** off . It says on the can "Bumble Bee Premium Select Wild Fancy
>>> Whole BABY CLAMS" . Since I see they've been in business since 1899 I
>>> suspect they know what they're talking about . And you obviously don't .

>>*Snort*

> Double Snort
> Says product of China...
> Bumble Bee is passing off some parasite as clams.
> https://jet.com/product/Bumble-Bee-P...e6757fa904f04e
>
> This is a product of China!
>
> Submitted 4 months ago
> By MTownQD
> The clams are fine but the cans are labeled "Product of China". I will
> not buy again for this reason. I'm a little disappointed because
> Bumble Bee is an American brand but they source their ingredients from
> different countries, including China.
>
> Read the Bumble Bee disclaimer...
> Consume Bumble Bee products at your peril:
> "Product Disclaimer:Product pages contain information provided by
> third-party sellers and other content providers. Despite our best
> efforts to make sure that information is accurate, we don’t guarantee
> it, and images, descriptions, specifications, or other attributes may
> be incomplete, out of date, unreliable or miscategorized. Before you
> buy, use or consume a product, you should always review nutritional,
> ingredient and allergen information and any warnings or instructions.
> We don’t guarantee the accuracy of nutritional labels or any other
> information on product packaging."
> -
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clam
> In culinary use, within the eastern coast of the United States and
> large swathes of the Maritimes of Canada, the term "clam" most often
> refers to the hard clam Mercenaria mercenaria. It may also refer to a
> few other common edible species, such as the soft-shell clam, Mya
> arenaria and the ocean quahog, Arctica islandica.
>
> In other words Bumble Bee LIES!

That was the worst rebuttal yet to someone challenging one of your
idiotic brain farts. You quoted the Jet disclaimer, not Bumble Bee.
And what was the point of your wiki quote - that clams only come
from the US coast?

A simple "canned clams are TIAD" would have sufficed. They're right
up there with canned shrimp, canned oysters, and canned broccoli.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 11:57:10 -0600, Terry Coombs wrote:

> * Just always gotta have the last word eh sheldumb . OK , you got the
> last word , I'm always wrong and you're always right . Revel in the
> righteousness of yourself , bask in the glory of your own presence . I
> humble and abase myself in the glory of your personal responses to my
> poor and vain attempts to relate my experiences in the kitchen and in
> any other endeavor I undertake , knowing that you will best me in every
> case .
> * And if you'll buy that I've got a bridge for sale cheap . You just
> have to try to prove you're better than the rest of us , and it just
> ain't so . Your insecurity must be a very heavy load . I do hope that
> you are or will seek treatment for this mental shortcoming and can
> someday live a normal and productive life . Until then , **** off and die .

You shouldn't feel the need to defend yourself against Sheldon.
We've all been targeted by his irate brain farts and supreme
ignorance of all things kitchen related. The only time you should
feel the need to give pause to rethink your position is when he
agrees with you on something.

History Lesson:

30 years ago here, when people were more refined and polite, Sheldon
was a valued poster. His contributions were much less kooky and
stuck to basic stuff he knew. Even if he shared some of his TIAD,
people still thanked him while other quietly barfed on their
keyboards.

Then about 15-20 years ago he started getting more confident with
his ignorance. He thought he was a God. Wise people had enough
bullshit and started challenging him and he just got obnoxious and
defensive with his unwavering opinions and misinformation even in
the face overwhelming evidence against him (now everybody had Web
access, too). He fell from grace (as he knew it) and is now the
laughing stock of RFC. Now he has to pay Morrow $5/month just to be
his virtual lackey.

ObFood: Most of my food talk and culinary ventures are over on RFC
on Facebook these days. I could cut and paste them, but that feels
like cheating or double dipping. Plus I have to post pictures on a
different site and quote links... nah. Food talk doesn't get much
attention here except the me-me-me's.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/7/2019 4:52 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Jack Granade wrote:

>>> Hey, that's insulting to Missourians.Â* While Kuthe may be a bad seed
>>> Missourian, Sheldon is a bad example of humanity.
>>>

>> Well put.

> Popeye is a bad example of a cockroach.

He has a cockroach farm outside his window, amongst'
the bones and cartilage pile.

Ass gas or grass, nobody rides for free.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/7/2019 5:18 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> wrote:
>> Ever need to get something just out of reach but don't want to drag
>> out a heavy cumbersome ladder... this is the one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043X1JBY...0043X1JBY&th=1

>> I ordered the five footer, at Amazon it costs $10 less than from
>> Lowe's.Â* I already used it to replace the battery in a high-up wall
>> clock... will be great for replacing batteries in smoke alarms.
>> I actually bought it for reaching into deep upper kitchen cabinets...
>> it's far sturdier than our old step-stool... and I like that it has
>> something to grab onto from the top step.Â* This is a high quality
>> product made in the USA:
>> https://littlegiantladders.com/
>> https://littlegiantladders.com/ladder/flip-n-lite/
>>

> Popeye, yoose would need a ladder to inspect a cockroach's ass.

Inspector Shelly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:

>> > WTF did she say Lightly coocked?

>> She said lightly steamed.

> People are a bit slow here. Read again above.
> In one post about her dinner, Jill said:
> - lightly salted
> - lightly steamed
> - lightly brushed with olive oil
>
> Bruce was teasing her about "lightly" everything.
> Nice day there in SC -
> I'm surprised she didn't lightly grill her steak.
>
> ;-D

I did notice the overuse of the word "lightly".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Hah! Lightly! Lightly! Lightly!
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>>Now March 21st.

> this thread has triggered suppressed childhood memories of violin practice
>

> Lightly Row

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pUugVUxciU

I played that too. My friend played piano and her sheet music with that song
was called Tuna Fish. The words were, "Tuna fish, tuna fish. Oh how we love
tuna fish! Tuna fish, tuna fish, that's our favorite dish!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Now March 21st.

>> this thread has triggered suppressed childhood memories of violin
>> practice
>>

>> Lightly Row

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pUugVUxciU

> I had no interest as a child in learning a musical instrument. Wish I had
> though, especially the violin. Don't know that I'd be good at it but it
> looks so enjoyable to make music.

I played it and was good at it but that kind of music isn't really my style.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 18:26:34 GMT, l not -l wrote:

> Hey, that's insulting to Missourians. While Kuthe may be a bad seed
> Missourian, Sheldon is a bad example of humanity.

When I heard about that Russian roulette thing, I immediately
thought of Kuthe and that everybody in Missouri must be crazy nuts.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-08 12:01 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>
>> Bruce was teasing her about "lightly" everything.
>> Nice day there in SC -
>> I'm surprised she didn't lightly grill her steak.
>>
>> Â*;-D

> I did notice the overuse of the word "lightly".

How very nice of you to critique Jill's posts. If only you could find
someone to edit yours to ensure continuity of your stories.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-07 4:38 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I had no interest as a child in learning a musical instrument.Â* Wish I
> had though, especially the violin.Â* Don't know that I'd be good at it
> but it looks so enjoyable to make music.

I took guitar lessons when I was 13 and did well at them but I gave them
up when I went to high school because I had signed up for instrumental
music. We moved at the end of the first term and it was not available at
the closest high school in the new city. I had to go downtown. I learned
on the first day how far behind my old classes were. I had just been
assigned to play the clarinet at the end of the term at the old school.
And this class was way into the music book. Then I got my marks from the
old school and had failed music. I got back into guitar years later,
took some more lessons. I also taught myself to play banjo, piano and
recorder. Not bad for someone who had failed music.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 12:04:44 GMT, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 03:20 8 Feb 2019, Sqwertz > wrote:

snip
>> History Lesson:
>>
>> 30 years ago here, when people were more refined and polite,

>Wow, that's a long time. Do some people here now, really go back 30 years?

yes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 10:33:06 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-02-08 12:01 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Bruce was teasing her about "lightly" everything.
>>> Nice day there in SC -
>>> I'm surprised she didn't lightly grill her steak.
>>>
>>> *;-D

>> I did notice the overuse of the word "lightly".

>How very nice of you to critique Jill's posts. If only you could find
>someone to edit yours to ensure continuity of your stories.

Dave should bundle his rfc posts and sell them. They would be a big
hit among insomniacs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>Now March 21st.

>> this thread has triggered suppressed childhood memories of violin practice
>>

>> Lightly Row

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pUugVUxciU

>I played that too. My friend played piano and her sheet music with that song
>was called Tuna Fish. The words were, "Tuna fish, tuna fish. Oh how we love
>tuna fish! Tuna fish, tuna fish, that's our favorite dish!"

when we did 16th notes it was "Mississippi is a river, Mississippi is a
river, Mississippi is a river, Mississippi is a river..." to the tune
of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

https://suzukiassociation.org/about/suzuki-method/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:

> Â* Just always gotta have the last word eh sheldumb . OK , you got the
> last word , I'm always wrong and you're always right . Revel in the
> righteousness of yourself , bask in the glory of your own presence .
> I humble and abase myself in the glory of your personal responses to
> my poor and vain attempts to relate my experiences in the kitchen and
> in any other endeavor I undertake , knowing that you will best me in
> every case . Â* And if you'll buy that I've got a bridge for sale
> cheap . You just have to try to prove you're better than the rest of
> us , and it just ain't so . Your insecurity must be a very heavy load
> . I do hope that you are or will seek treatment for this mental
> shortcoming and can someday live a normal and productive life . Until
> then , **** off and die .

LOL, don't worry about Sheldon!

BTW, we get the minced clams (I think they say baby but will have to
check) and Don adds them to canned tuna for a special tuna fish.

1 of the 3 to 4 cans will be those (all well squeezed) and we add a
little minced onion and then mayo to our desired level.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 18:44:10 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Terry Coombs wrote:
>
>> * Just always gotta have the last word eh sheldumb . OK , you got the
>> last word , I'm always wrong and you're always right . Revel in the
>> righteousness of yourself , bask in the glory of your own presence .
>> I humble and abase myself in the glory of your personal responses to
>> my poor and vain attempts to relate my experiences in the kitchen and
>> in any other endeavor I undertake , knowing that you will best me in
>> every case . * And if you'll buy that I've got a bridge for sale
>> cheap . You just have to try to prove you're better than the rest of
>> us , and it just ain't so . Your insecurity must be a very heavy load
>> . I do hope that you are or will seek treatment for this mental
>> shortcoming and can someday live a normal and productive life . Until
>> then , **** off and die .

>LOL, don't worry about Sheldon!
>

>BTW, we get the minced clams (I think they say baby but will have to
>check) and Don adds them to canned tuna for a special tuna fish.

So when you add clams to tuna, you get a special tuna fish. I'll have
to remember that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 18:44:10 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> Terry Coombs wrote:
>>
>>> Just always gotta have the last word eh sheldumb . OK , you got the
>>> last word , I'm always wrong and you're always right . Revel in the
>>> righteousness of yourself , bask in the glory of your own presence .
>>> I humble and abase myself in the glory of your personal responses to
>>> my poor and vain attempts to relate my experiences in the kitchen and
>>> in any other endeavor I undertake , knowing that you will best me in
>>> every case . And if you'll buy that I've got a bridge for sale
>>> cheap . You just have to try to prove you're better than the rest of
>>> us , and it just ain't so . Your insecurity must be a very heavy load
>>> . I do hope that you are or will seek treatment for this mental
>>> shortcoming and can someday live a normal and productive life . Until
>>> then , **** off and die .

>> LOL, don't worry about Sheldon!
>>

>> BTW, we get the minced clams (I think they say baby but will have to
>> check) and Don adds them to canned tuna for a special tuna fish.

> So when you add clams to tuna, you get a special tuna fish. I'll have
> to remember that.

Yes. It's called Salsa de Popeye's Mammy.

A table condiment at all the finer restaurants in the bronx and
Brooklyn. Also at most eating joints at the harbors and piers in new yawk.

Very salty with a distinct pungent fishy odor. Taste and smell
reminiscent of mildewed gym socks which have been urinated on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 18:44:10 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Terry Coombs wrote:
>
>> * Just always gotta have the last word eh sheldumb . OK , you got the
>> last word , I'm always wrong and you're always right . Revel in the
>> righteousness of yourself , bask in the glory of your own presence .
>> I humble and abase myself in the glory of your personal responses to
>> my poor and vain attempts to relate my experiences in the kitchen and
>> in any other endeavor I undertake , knowing that you will best me in
>> every case . * And if you'll buy that I've got a bridge for sale
>> cheap . You just have to try to prove you're better than the rest of
>> us , and it just ain't so . Your insecurity must be a very heavy load
>> . I do hope that you are or will seek treatment for this mental
>> shortcoming and can someday live a normal and productive life . Until
>> then , **** off and die .

>LOL, don't worry about Sheldon!

Coombs prefers to remain culinarily uneducated.

>BTW, we get the minced clams (I think they say baby but will have to
>check) and Don adds them to canned tuna for a special tuna fish.

I can't imagine canned clams and canned tuna together...TIAD... in
fact I tried tinned smoked clams once, never again. I much prefer
fresh clams on the half shell, I can munch dozens. I spent lots of
time slurping cherrystones on the half shell at Nathan's Coney Island
with Rheingold on tap. I can probably eat more cherrystones than Joey
Chestnut can eat hotdogs... I'd welcome the Cherrystone challange.
Slurping cherrystones ain't any different than slurpping fifteen year
old sweet pussy. Anyone who can swallow tube steak like Joey Chestnut
has to be a major faggot. I gaurantee I can out do him slurping
cherrystones on the half shell.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I use the BH&G beef loaf recipe for meatloaf; it holds together really well. Which means
one of my favorite ways to have leftover meatloaf is sliced and in a reg'lar white bread
sandwich, with butter on one side and yellow mustard on the other. If I have some head
lettuce, I add that. Now I want meatloaf. ;-))

My supper tonight was ham quiche, with diced celery and onion and a mix of sharp cheddar
and Swiss cheese (finely shredded). I had a bit of sour cream on the side. Sometimes I have
salsa, but usually with a sausage or bacon quiche. The side vegetable was stewed
tomatoes which reminded me of when I was young, and it would be our vegetable at dinner.
We lived on a farm until I was 7, and the extra tomatoes from the truck garden would be canned,
so my mom would add various seasonings to the tomatoes, making them into what was stewed
tomatoes. (I haven't ever met a tomato style I haven't liked.)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2019-02-08 12:01 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" > wrote in message
>>> Bruce was teasing her about "lightly" everything.
>>> Nice day there in SC -
>>> I'm surprised she didn't lightly grill her steak.
>>>
>>> ;-D

>> I did notice the overuse of the word "lightly".

> How very nice of you to critique Jill's posts. If only you could find
> someone to edit yours to ensure continuity of your stories.

Oh! I'm sorry! Were you talking to me?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 18:44:10 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>>Terry Coombs wrote:
>>
>>> Just always gotta have the last word eh sheldumb . OK , you got the
>>> last word , I'm always wrong and you're always right . Revel in the
>>> righteousness of yourself , bask in the glory of your own presence .
>>> I humble and abase myself in the glory of your personal responses to
>>> my poor and vain attempts to relate my experiences in the kitchen and
>>> in any other endeavor I undertake , knowing that you will best me in
>>> every case . And if you'll buy that I've got a bridge for sale
>>> cheap . You just have to try to prove you're better than the rest of
>>> us , and it just ain't so . Your insecurity must be a very heavy load
>>> . I do hope that you are or will seek treatment for this mental
>>> shortcoming and can someday live a normal and productive life . Until
>>> then , **** off and die .

>>LOL, don't worry about Sheldon!
>>

>>BTW, we get the minced clams (I think they say baby but will have to
>>check) and Don adds them to canned tuna for a special tuna fish.

> So when you add clams to tuna, you get a special tuna fish. I'll have
> to remember that.

OMG! Hahaha.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> Fry your steak in a good amount of oil at high heat. Flip and continue frying for about 15 seconds and then turn the heat down to med. Flip your steak every 90 seconds or so until done. Let rest a few minutes before... yadda, yadda, yadda.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...0kf4QiAFkFKoPE

Your plate looks good but (you know there's always going to be a
"but..." here. hheheh
Why fry in "a good amount of oil?" I get a dry pan screaming hot,
sear on each side for 1-2 minutes, then turn down to medium for a
minute or two on each side. Perfect medium rare every time.

While it's resting, I'll deglaze the pan with some onions and
mushrooms, TBS or so butter, then a little water and a nip of
Merlot. Stir and simmer until reduced a bit.

Anyway, I never pan fry a steak using oil. It's just me but it's
not necessary.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2019 5:22 AM, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> Fry your steak in a good amount of oil at high heat. Flip and continue frying for about 15 seconds and then turn the heat down to med. Flip your steak every 90 seconds or so until done. Let rest a few minutes before... yadda, yadda, yadda.
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...0kf4QiAFkFKoPE

> Your plate looks good but (you know there's always going to be a
> "but..." here. hheheh
> Why fry in "a good amount of oil?" I get a dry pan screaming hot,
> sear on each side for 1-2 minutes, then turn down to medium for a
> minute or two on each side. Perfect medium rare every time.
>
> While it's resting, I'll deglaze the pan with some onions and
> mushrooms, TBS or so butter, then a little water and a nip of
> Merlot. Stir and simmer until reduced a bit.
>
> Anyway, I never pan fry a steak using oil. It's just me but it's
> not necessary.

I agree, Gary. I never add oil to the pan when frying steak. I also
don't keep flipping it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/7/2019 9:29 AM, Gary wrote:
> Nice day there in SC -
> I'm surprised she didn't lightly grill her steak.
>
> ;-D

Sorry, I seem to have run out of adjectives.

It was a very nice day in SC but I didn't feel like futzing with the
charcoal grill for one small steak. I could have grilled the
cauliflower florets, too, over indirect heat in a grill basket (so they
don't fall between the grates). I'm just not a huge fan of grilling
unless I'm cooking something like ribs alongside something else. IOW,
larger portions.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > Why fry in "a good amount of oil?" I get a dry pan screaming hot,
> > sear on each side for 1-2 minutes, then turn down to medium for a
> > minute or two on each side. Perfect medium rare every time.
> >
> > While it's resting, I'll deglaze the pan with some onions and
> > mushrooms, TBS or so butter, then a little water and a nip of
> > Merlot. Stir and simmer until reduced a bit.
> >
> > Anyway, I never pan fry a steak using oil. It's just me but it's
> > not necessary.
> >

> I agree, Gary. I never add oil to the pan when frying steak. I also
> don't keep flipping it.

I also wanted to add 2 more comments to Dsi1
1) I've flipped other pans of things but never a steak.
Who the hell flips a steak? I use a fork on the end
to turn it over a few times

2) On the same note, Dsi1 cooks a steak
in "a good amount of oil." Then he flips it a few
times while it's cooking? In a "good amount of oil?"
That sounds way more than a bit messy to me.

And a note to Dsi1 today, Sunday Feb 10. Looking at weather today
I see that Oahu has a big storm going on today with large
dangerous surf. You should drive to the north shore and watch
some of those awesome waves and the surfers that dare to go out
in them. Fun to do!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/7/2019 9:29 AM, Gary wrote:
> > Nice day there in SC -
> > I'm surprised she didn't lightly grill her steak.
> >
> > ;-D

> Sorry, I seem to have run out of adjectives.
>
> It was a very nice day in SC but I didn't feel like futzing with the
> charcoal grill for one small steak. I could have grilled the
> cauliflower florets, too, over indirect heat in a grill basket (so they
> don't fall between the grates). I'm just not a huge fan of grilling
> unless I'm cooking something like ribs alongside something else. IOW,
> larger portions.

Just a gentle tease to you. I haven't been allowed to grill here
for many years but I don't care. Even back then, I rarely did it.
Pan frying does all I need.

I've never cared for boring cauliflower but brushing with oil
then roasting until browned sounds interesting to me. All I've
ever had was blah steamed. What seasoning do you add before
roasting if any?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 10:27:59 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> On 2/7/2019 9:29 AM, Gary wrote:
>> > Nice day there in SC -
>> > I'm surprised she didn't lightly grill her steak.
>> >
>> > ;-D

>> Sorry, I seem to have run out of adjectives.
>>
>> It was a very nice day in SC but I didn't feel like futzing with the
>> charcoal grill for one small steak. I could have grilled the
>> cauliflower florets, too, over indirect heat in a grill basket (so they
>> don't fall between the grates). I'm just not a huge fan of grilling
>> unless I'm cooking something like ribs alongside something else. IOW,
>> larger portions.

>Just a gentle tease to you.

Careful, when Gary says 'tease' it's gonna get nasty!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2019 10:04 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:
>>> Why fry in "a good amount of oil?" I get a dry pan screaming hot,
>>> sear on each side for 1-2 minutes, then turn down to medium for a
>>> minute or two on each side. Perfect medium rare every time.
>>>
>>> While it's resting, I'll deglaze the pan with some onions and
>>> mushrooms, TBS or so butter, then a little water and a nip of
>>> Merlot. Stir and simmer until reduced a bit.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I never pan fry a steak using oil. It's just me but it's
>>> not necessary.
>>>

>> I agree, Gary. I never add oil to the pan when frying steak. I also
>> don't keep flipping it.

> I also wanted to add 2 more comments to Dsi1
> 1) I've flipped other pans of things but never a steak.
> Who the hell flips a steak? I use a fork on the end
> to turn it over a few times

Semantics. Flip, turn. I use a fork to turn a steak. I suppose it
could be called flipping. It's not the same thing flipping pancakes. LOL

But I don't constantly turn a steak. I certainly don't count down the
seconds before "flipping" it over and over. I'm pretty good at cooking
a steak to medium rare without a lot of fuss.

> 2) On the same note, Dsi1 cooks a steak
> in "a good amount of oil." Then he flips it a few
> times while it's cooking? In a "good amount of oil?"
> That sounds way more than a bit messy to me.

I don't know why dsi1 adds oil to pan fry a steak. Sounds like a waste
of oil to me. The steaks I buy aren't expensive but they do have a
decent amount of marbling. They don't need oil or any added fat. I do
admit I sometimes brush a nice rested steak with a bit of garlic butter.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-10 10:04 a.m., Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>> I agree, Gary. I never add oil to the pan when frying steak. I also
>> don't keep flipping it.

> I also wanted to add 2 more comments to Dsi1
> 1) I've flipped other pans of things but never a steak.
> Who the hell flips a steak? I use a fork on the end
> to turn it over a few times

In other words, you use a fork to flip your steak a few times.

> 2) On the same note, Dsi1 cooks a steak
> in "a good amount of oil." Then he flips it a few
> times while it's cooking? In a "good amount of oil?"
> That sounds way more than a bit messy to me.

I sometimes smear some oil on a steak before it goes on the grill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> Careful, when Gary says 'tease' it's gonna get nasty!

Only in your hillbilly outback mind.
Serious question to you, pal....why do you have
barbed wire fence around your property?

This goes way back a few months ago and I forgot to ask.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I do admit I sometimes brush a nice rested steak
> with a bit of garlic butter.

Before I cook a steak I press in (on both sides)
at least cracked pepper, kosher salt, and garlic powder.
Normally a dried herb or two also but not always.

So many people will butter a steak. I never have but it's
probably good. I'll try it next steak if I remember to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:16:05 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> Careful, when Gary says 'tease' it's gonna get nasty!

>Only in your hillbilly outback mind.
>Serious question to you, pal....why do you have
>barbed wire fence around your property?
>
>This goes way back a few months ago and I forgot to ask.

Fencing keeps animals in. Or out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > Fry your steak in a good amount of oil at high heat. Flip and
> > continue frying for about 15 seconds and then turn the heat down to
> > med. Flip your steak every 90 seconds or so until done. Let rest a
> > few minutes before... yadda, yadda, yadda.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...0kf4QiAFkFKoPE

> Your plate looks good but (you know there's always going to be a
> "but..." here. hheheh
> Why fry in "a good amount of oil?" I get a dry pan screaming hot,
> sear on each side for 1-2 minutes, then turn down to medium for a
> minute or two on each side. Perfect medium rare every time.
>
> While it's resting, I'll deglaze the pan with some onions and
> mushrooms, TBS or so butter, then a little water and a nip of
> Merlot. Stir and simmer until reduced a bit.
>
> Anyway, I never pan fry a steak using oil. It's just me but it's
> not necessary.

I don't add oil either. I may add a ts or so of butter but am most apt
to add 2-3ts dashi to prevent sticking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 12:41:51 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Gary wrote:
>
>> dsi1 wrote:
>> >
>> > Fry your steak in a good amount of oil at high heat. Flip and
>> > continue frying for about 15 seconds and then turn the heat down to
>> > med. Flip your steak every 90 seconds or so until done. Let rest a
>> > few minutes before... yadda, yadda, yadda.
>> >

>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...0kf4QiAFkFKoPE
>>
>> Your plate looks good but (you know there's always going to be a
>> "but..." here. hheheh
>> Why fry in "a good amount of oil?" I get a dry pan screaming hot,
>> sear on each side for 1-2 minutes, then turn down to medium for a
>> minute or two on each side. Perfect medium rare every time.
>>
>> While it's resting, I'll deglaze the pan with some onions and
>> mushrooms, TBS or so butter, then a little water and a nip of
>> Merlot. Stir and simmer until reduced a bit.
>>
>> Anyway, I never pan fry a steak using oil. It's just me but it's
>> not necessary.

>I don't add oil either. I may add a ts or so of butter but am most apt
>to add 2-3ts dashi to prevent sticking.

"Frying" a steak in stock to prevent sticking...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2019 1:16 PM, Gary wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>> Careful, when Gary says 'tease' it's gonna get nasty!

> Only in your hillbilly outback mind.
> Serious question to you, pal....why do you have
> barbed wire fence around your property?

Probably the same reason I have barbed wire - to keep out animals.
It's actually a requirement listed in the feu charter for the property.
We have nice drystane walls around most of the place, with stock
fencing, topped with barbed wire, in front of that. It keeps out the
sheep and the cattle, but not the deer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2019 1:26 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:16:05 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Bruce wrote:
>>> Careful, when Gary says 'tease' it's gonna get nasty!

>> Only in your hillbilly outback mind.
>> Serious question to you, pal....why do you have
>> barbed wire fence around your property?
>>
>> This goes way back a few months ago and I forgot to ask.

> Fencing keeps animals in. Or out.

Yes. Important when you don't live in town.

Dinner last night/ dinner tonight U.S. Janet B. General Cooking 17 02-03-2018 01:19 PM
Dinner Tonight Jude General Cooking 0 24-04-2006 11:44 PM
Dinner tonight limey General Cooking 1 23-04-2006 07:59 PM
Tonight's Dinner Damsel General Cooking 24 13-07-2005 10:20 PM