FoodBanter.com

-   -   what's with peanuts? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/445784-whats-peanuts.html)

Dave Smith[_1_] 19-02-2019 11:04 PM

Grilled Corn( (WAS what's with peanuts?)

On 2019-02-19 5:49 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/19/2019 5:04 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

Many vegetables are so much better when freshly picked. That is one of
the reasons so many people go to the work to maintain a garden.

I remember going to Styer's Orchards many years ago. There was a bin of
corn from the day before but many of us waited for the tractor to come
back from the field with the fresh picked.

There is a world of difference between the fresh stuff and the old dried
out stuff. Asparagus is something that is so much better freshly picked.

U.S. Janet B. 19-02-2019 11:11 PM

Grilled Corn( (WAS what's with peanuts?)

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 18:04:38 -0500, Dave Smith

On 2019-02-19 5:49 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/19/2019 5:04 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

Many vegetables are so much better when freshly picked. That is one of
the reasons so many people go to the work to maintain a garden.

I remember going to Styer's Orchards many years ago. There was a bin of
corn from the day before but many of us waited for the tractor to come
back from the field with the fresh picked.

There is a world of difference between the fresh stuff and the old dried
out stuff. Asparagus is something that is so much better freshly picked.

I never buy corn or cucumbers. Store-bought cucumbers have a nasty
'refrigerated' taste and corn lacks a huge amount of flavor.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 20-02-2019 10:56 AM

On 2019-02-19 12:20 p.m., Gary wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

I've *never* had freshly picked corn.* I didn't grow up on a farm.* I
buy corn at the local farm stands or the grocery store.* It may have
been picked near here, sure, but I didn't take it from field to table..

Fresh picked is best. From there, the longer you wait to eat it
the quality goes down. Probably true with any vegetables if you
think about it.

I have been in a cornfield a few times and did pick a fresh ear
right off the stalk and eat it. So very good and tasty. No need
to cook it. Just like eating a fresh garden tomato.* :)

Many vegetables are so much better when freshly picked. That is one of
the reasons so many people go to the work to maintain a garden.

I remember going to Styer's Orchards many years ago. There was a bin of
corn from the day before but many of us waited for the tractor to come
back from the field with the fresh picked.

We know a family with a truck farm. They do amazingly well by putting
the corn under refrigeration immediately after it's picked. And, of
course, growing modern varieties that are sweeter (but not supersweet)
than when we were young.

Cindy Hamilton

[email protected] 20-02-2019 06:22 PM

On 2019-02-19 Gary wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Each year we plant 40-50 corn seeds over the course of a week, they
don't all germinate but enough do so that they provide ~75 ears of
corn. They are harvested in a staggered fashion so that we have about
two weeks worth of fresh picked and by then we are tired of corn.