Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Honey score in the cupboard

This morning I was looking through the cupboards the jar honey to fill
the honey jar. There were two half jars and one of them was buckwheat
honey. I had forgotten about that stuff. My wife had picked it up for me
thinking that I love the stuff. She had overestimated my attitude about
the stuff. It is pretty good, but I only like it once in a while, which
is why it had been put away. It as crystallized so I had to warm it up
to liquefy it. Good stuff.... once in a while.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Dave Smith wrote:

> This morning I was looking through the cupboards the jar honey to fill
> the honey jar. There were two half jars and one of them was buckwheat
> honey. I had forgotten about that stuff. My wife had picked it up for me
> thinking that I love the stuff. She had overestimated my attitude about
> the stuff. It is pretty good, but I only like it once in a while, which
> is why it had been put away. It as crystallized so I had to warm it up
> to liquefy it. Good stuff.... once in a while.

To quote TERT in seattle:

<yawn>

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 08:08:48 -0500, songbird wrote:

> I put it on peanut butter toast because the peanut
> butter is such a strong flavor it can compete against
> the buckwheat honey.

I've not tried buckwheat honey, but what you describe (toast + PB + honey)
is 3/4 of my favourite breakfast sandwich. Top it off with bacon.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 6:04:06 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> This morning I was looking through the cupboards the jar honey to fill
> the honey jar. There were two half jars and one of them was buckwheat
> honey. I had forgotten about that stuff. My wife had picked it up for me
> thinking that I love the stuff. She had overestimated my attitude about
> the stuff. It is pretty good, but I only like it once in a while, which
> is why it had been put away. It as crystallized so I had to warm it up
> to liquefy it. Good stuff.... once in a while.

My daughter has a jar of honey with fruits and nuts that was made in Turkey. It looks kinda scary.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...ElHoH-UTATz7fp
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> My daughter has a jar of honey with fruits and nuts that was made in Turkey. It looks kinda scary.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...ElHoH-UTATz7fp

That looks quite interesting actually, I guess it's a 'stir and
serve' kind of a topping for something. Has anyone tried it yet?
Still alive? ;-D

I think I would try a warmed up blob of that on vanilla ice
cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 23:04:04 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> This morning I was looking through the cupboards the jar honey to fill
> the honey jar. There were two half jars and one of them was buckwheat
> honey. I had forgotten about that stuff. My wife had picked it up for me
> thinking that I love the stuff. She had overestimated my attitude about
> the stuff. It is pretty good, but I only like it once in a while, which
> is why it had been put away. It as crystallized so I had to warm it up
> to liquefy it. Good stuff.... once in a while.

Another fascinating story. You're full of them, Dave.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 16:29:02 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 23:04:04 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> This morning I was looking through the cupboards the jar honey to fill
>> the honey jar. There were two half jars and one of them was buckwheat
>> honey. I had forgotten about that stuff. My wife had picked it up for me
>> thinking that I love the stuff. She had overestimated my attitude about
>> the stuff. It is pretty good, but I only like it once in a while, which
>> is why it had been put away. It as crystallized so I had to warm it up
>> to liquefy it. Good stuff.... once in a while.

>Another fascinating story. You're full of them, Dave.

lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Feb 2019 09:53:33 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 16:29:02 -0600, Sqwertz >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 23:04:04 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> This morning I was looking through the cupboards the jar honey to fill
>>> the honey jar. There were two half jars and one of them was buckwheat
>>> honey. I had forgotten about that stuff. My wife had picked it up for me
>>> thinking that I love the stuff. She had overestimated my attitude about
>>> the stuff. It is pretty good, but I only like it once in a while, which
>>> is why it had been put away. It as crystallized so I had to warm it up
>>> to liquefy it. Good stuff.... once in a while.

>>Another fascinating story. You're full of them, Dave.

>lol

That's Dave's Barroom Honey/Sweetie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/30/2019 11:04 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> This morning I was looking through the cupboards the jar honey to fill
> the honey jar.Â* There were two half jars and one of them was buckwheat
> honey. I had forgotten about that stuff. My wife had picked it up for me
> thinking that I love the stuff.Â* She had overestimated my attitude about
> the stuff. It is pretty good, but I only like it once in a while, which
> is why it had been put away. It as crystallized so I had to warm it up
> to liquefy it.Â*Â* Good stuff.... once in a while.

I would be completely surprised to find anything other than South
Carolina clover honey. I've got a jar of it dated 2004 and have yet to
open it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/1/2019 6:43 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/30/2019 11:04 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> This morning I was looking through the cupboards the jar honey to
>> fill the honey jar.Â* There were two half jars and one of them was
>> buckwheat honey. I had forgotten about that stuff. My wife had picked
>> it up for me thinking that I love the stuff.Â* She had overestimated
>> my attitude about the stuff. It is pretty good, but I only like it
>> once in a while, which is why it had been put away. It as
>> crystallized so I had to warm it up to liquefy it.Â*Â* Good stuff....
>> once in a while.

> I would be completely surprised to find anything other than South
> Carolina clover honey.Â* I've got a jar of it dated 2004 and have yet
> to open it.
>
> Jill

Â* We still have 9 quarts of raw unfiltered wildflower honey down in the
cellar . Not even labeled since I didn't intend on selling it .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 19:38:30 -0600, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 2/1/2019 6:43 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 1/30/2019 11:04 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> This morning I was looking through the cupboards the jar honey to
>>> fill the honey jar.* There were two half jars and one of them was
>>> buckwheat honey. I had forgotten about that stuff. My wife had picked
>>> it up for me thinking that I love the stuff.* She had overestimated
>>> my attitude about the stuff. It is pretty good, but I only like it
>>> once in a while, which is why it had been put away. It as
>>> crystallized so I had to warm it up to liquefy it.** Good stuff....
>>> once in a while.

>> I would be completely surprised to find anything other than South
>> Carolina clover honey.* I've got a jar of it dated 2004 and have yet
>> to open it.
>>
>> Jill

> * We still have 9 quarts of raw unfiltered wildflower honey down in the
>cellar . Not even labeled since I didn't intend on selling it .

I wonder if there's plastic in it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Feb 2019 12:57:45 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 19:38:30 -0600, Terry Coombs >
>wrote:

>>> I would be completely surprised to find anything other than South
>>> Carolina clover honey.* I've got a jar of it dated 2004 and have yet
>>> to open it.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> * We still have 9 quarts of raw unfiltered wildflower honey down in the
>>cellar . Not even labeled since I didn't intend on selling it .

>I wonder if there's plastic in it.

No one stores nine quarts of honey, they use it, sell it, or give it
away... Coombs is full of BS... anyone seen his hives, I thought not.
I have many neighbors who keep bees, none horde their honey, they sell
it or barter it. I leave home grown veggies at my neighbor's door,
they leave jars of honey at my door. People who keep bees don't save
honey because they have much more coming... that's why I don't believe
anything Coombs claims... he likely lives in some big city slum
tenement basement appartment... NO BEES... only Bs Coombs sees are
drug dealing *******s.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 03:30:11 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 6:04:06 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> This morning I was looking through the cupboards the jar honey to fill
>> the honey jar. There were two half jars and one of them was buckwheat
>> honey. I had forgotten about that stuff. My wife had picked it up for me
>> thinking that I love the stuff. She had overestimated my attitude about
>> the stuff. It is pretty good, but I only like it once in a while, which
>> is why it had been put away. It as crystallized so I had to warm it up
>> to liquefy it. Good stuff.... once in a while.

>My daughter has a jar of honey with fruits and nuts that was made in Turkey. It looks kinda scary.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...ElHoH-UTATz7fp

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/1/2019 7:57 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 19:38:30 -0600, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:

>>> I would be completely surprised to find anything other than South
>>> Carolina clover honey.Â* I've got a jar of it dated 2004 and have yet
>>> to open it.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Â* We still have 9 quarts of raw unfiltered wildflower honey down in the
>> cellar . Not even labeled since I didn't intend on selling it .

> I wonder if there's plastic in it.

I can't see how that could bee ... this honey came from my hives , was
strained thru cheesecloth then bottled in glass .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Feb 2019 12:57:45 +1100, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 19:38:30 -0600, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:

>>> We still have 9 quarts of raw unfiltered wildflower honey down in the
>>> cellar . Not even labeled since I didn't intend on selling it .

>> I wonder if there's plastic in it.

> No one stores nine quarts of honey, they use it, sell it, or give it
> away... Coombs is full of BS... anyone seen his hives, I thought not.
> I have many neighbors who keep bees, none horde their honey, they sell
> it or barter it. I leave home grown veggies at my neighbor's door,
> they leave jars of honey at my door. People who keep bees don't save
> honey because they have much more coming... that's why I don't believe
> anything Coombs claims... he likely lives in some big city slum
> tenement basement appartment... NO BEES... only Bs Coombs sees are
> drug dealing *******s.

Ummm Popeye, that stuff folks leave at yoose door ain't honey.

Yoose ain't been eating it has yoose?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/1/2019 8:24 PM, wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Feb 2019 12:57:45 +1100, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 19:38:30 -0600, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:

>>> Â* We still have 9 quarts of raw unfiltered wildflower honey down in the
>>> cellar . Not even labeled since I didn't intend on selling it .

>> I wonder if there's plastic in it.

> No one stores nine quarts of honey, they use it, sell it, or give it
> away... Coombs is full of BS... anyone seen his hives, I thought not.
> I have many neighbors who keep bees, none horde their honey, they sell
> it or barter it. I leave home grown veggies at my neighbor's door,
> they leave jars of honey at my door. People who keep bees don't save
> honey because they have much more coming... that's why I don't believe
> anything Coombs claims... he likely lives in some big city slum
> tenement basement appartment... NO BEES... only Bs Coombs sees are
> drug dealing *******s.

Â* Are you calling me a liar ? That honey is stocked for MY use and my
wife's . The bees are a varroa mite resistant variety developed by Ed
Levi , a former Arkansas bee inspector - and there are NO chemicals used
in my hives . Here's a link , Ed's business is mentioned
http://www.nwabeekeepers.com/beekeeping/favorite-links . I assume your
reading comprehension is good enough to pick his name out . Just can't
stand anyone that doesn't bend over and kiss your ass can you ?

Â* And , since you claim I live in a city (we do own a house in Memphis
, my son lives in it) here's a link to my photobucket
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Snag_one/library/ . BOOKMARK THAT LINK
dick-breath , because there will soon be a food folder with pics of some
of my cooking . I might even post a few pics of my hives . Prick . Nah ,
you couldn't be a prick , a prick has a head .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 20:46:37 -0600, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 2/1/2019 7:57 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 19:38:30 -0600, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:

>>> * We still have 9 quarts of raw unfiltered wildflower honey down in the
>>> cellar . Not even labeled since I didn't intend on selling it .

>> I wonder if there's plastic in it.

>I can't see how that could bee ... this honey came from my hives , was
>strained thru cheesecloth then bottled in glass .

Not because of anything you do. They say plastic is polluting the
environment so badly, there are even tiny plastic particles in bees'
honey. I don't know if living in the countryside helps.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/1/2019 9:24 PM, wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Feb 2019 12:57:45 +1100, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 19:38:30 -0600, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:

>>> Â* We still have 9 quarts of raw unfiltered wildflower honey down in the
>>> cellar . Not even labeled since I didn't intend on selling it .

>> I wonder if there's plastic in it.

> No one stores nine quarts of honey, they use it, sell it, or give it
> away... Coombs is full of BS... anyone seen his hives, I thought not.

You and your insistance on photos. I don't have any honey bee hives but
I do have access to honey. I simply don't use honey so it's no matter
to me of someone posts pics.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 1, 2019 at 10:08:02 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 2/1/2019 8:24 PM, wrote:
> > On Sat, 02 Feb 2019 12:57:45 +1100, Bruce >
> > wrote:

> >> I wonder if there's plastic in it.

> > No one stores nine quarts of honey, they use it, sell it, or give it
> > away... Coombs is full of BS... anyone seen his hives, I thought not.
> > I have many neighbors who keep bees, none horde their honey, they sell
> > it or barter it. I leave home grown veggies at my neighbor's door,
> > they leave jars of honey at my door. People who keep bees don't save
> > honey because they have much more coming... that's why I don't believe
> > anything Coombs claims... he likely lives in some big city slum
> > tenement basement appartment... NO BEES... only Bs Coombs sees are
> > drug dealing *******s.

> Â* Are you calling me a liar ?

He appears to be calling himself a liar. Liars chronically accuse other
people of lying.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I don't have any honey bee hives but I do have access
> to honey.
> I simply don't use honey so it's no matter to me
> of someone posts pics.

lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/1/2019 10:57 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 20:46:37 -0600, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/1/2019 7:57 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> I wonder if there's plastic in it.

>> I can't see how that could bee ... this honey came from my hives , was
>> strained thru cheesecloth then bottled in glass .

> Not because of anything you do. They say plastic is polluting the
> environment so badly, there are even tiny plastic particles in bees'
> honey. I don't know if living in the countryside helps.

Â* Well Gary , we're surrounded by tens of thousands of acres of mostly
woods , not quite like living in farming country . Don't know if that
makes any difference ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-02 6:54 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, February 1, 2019 at 10:08:02 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

>> Â* Are you calling me a liar ?

> He appears to be calling himself a liar. Liars chronically accuse other
> people of lying.

Yep. That is the observation that I have made over the years. They lie
so often themselves that they assume that others do too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 21:08:40 -0600, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 2/1/2019 8:24 PM, wrote:
>> On Sat, 02 Feb 2019 12:57:45 +1100, Bruce >
>> wrote:

>>> I wonder if there's plastic in it.

>> No one stores nine quarts of honey, they use it, sell it, or give it
>> away... Coombs is full of BS... anyone seen his hives, I thought not.
>> I have many neighbors who keep bees, none horde their honey, they sell
>> it or barter it. I leave home grown veggies at my neighbor's door,
>> they leave jars of honey at my door. People who keep bees don't save
>> honey because they have much more coming... that's why I don't believe
>> anything Coombs claims... he likely lives in some big city slum
>> tenement basement appartment... NO BEES... only Bs Coombs sees are
>> drug dealing *******s.

> * Are you calling me a liar ? That honey is stocked for MY use and my
>wife's . The bees are a varroa mite resistant variety developed by Ed
>Levi , a former Arkansas bee inspector - and there are NO chemicals used
>in my hives . Here's a link , Ed's business is mentioned

http://www.nwabeekeepers.com/beekeeping/favorite-links . I assume your
>reading comprehension is good enough to pick his name out . Just can't
>stand anyone that doesn't bend over and kiss your ass can you ?
>
> * And , since you claim I live in a city (we do own a house in Memphis
>, my son lives in it) here's a link to my photobucket
>http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Snag_one/library/ . BOOKMARK THAT LINK

Nothing worth seeing, just an ancient JD toy, likely stopped running
decades ago from the looks of that ripped seat. Anyway Amazon Photo
sucks, takes too long to load and difficult to navigate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> No one stores nine quarts of honey, they use it, sell it, or give it
>>> away... Coombs is full of BS... anyone seen his hives, I thought not.
>>> I have many neighbors who keep bees, none horde their honey, they sell
>>> it or barter it. I leave home grown veggies at my neighbor's door,
>>> they leave jars of honey at my door. People who keep bees don't save
>>> honey because they have much more coming... that's why I don't believe
>>> anything Coombs claims... he likely lives in some big city slum
>>> tenement basement appartment... NO BEES... only Bs Coombs sees are
>>> drug dealing *******s.

>> Â* Are you calling me a liar ? That honey is stocked for MY use and my
>> wife's . The bees are a varroa mite resistant variety developed by Ed
>> Levi , a former Arkansas bee inspector - and there are NO chemicals used
>> in my hives . Here's a link , Ed's business is mentioned

http://www.nwabeekeepers.com/beekeeping/favorite-links . I assume your
>> reading comprehension is good enough to pick his name out . Just can't
>> stand anyone that doesn't bend over and kiss your ass can you ?
>>
>> Â* And , since you claim I live in a city (we do own a house in Memphis
>> , my son lives in it) here's a link to my photobucket
>> http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Snag_one/library/ . BOOKMARK THAT LINK

> Nothing worth seeing, just an ancient JD toy, likely stopped running
> decades ago from the looks of that ripped seat. Anyway Amazon Photo
> sucks, takes too long to load and difficult to navigate.

Â* So you admit that you looked no farther than the first page . BTW ,
that tractor runs like a top , was used earlier today to haul 2 loads of
firewood over to be split and stacked . Of course you'll now call me a
liar again , because that's what liars do - they expect everyone to be
like them . Must suck to be you .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-02 3:17 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, February 2, 2019 at 6:14:00 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>> My father in law used to eat more honey than anyone I have ever
>> known. He would tear of a bite sized pieces of toast and put a
>> spoonful of honey on each one. At one time we estimated that he ate
>> two pounds of honey per week. He used to buy it by the case. I
>> certainly don't doubt someone who raises bees would have 9 quarts
>> of it on hand.

> I knew a guy that was addicted to bee venom. He would sting himself
> several times a day. He said he did that for arthritis. I can't say
> if he was ever diagnosed with arthritis but the time that I knew him,
> he was fine. He had stopped the "treatments" by then. He was a world
> class bee sting artist and was responsible for the deaths of
> thousands and thousands of bees.

I take some solace in the knowledge that any bee that ever stung me paid
the ultimate price for the privilege. Maybe the reason he was never
diagnosed with arthritis was because he had had all those preventative
stings. I have heard that stinging nettles is also good for arthritis,
but I will need more proof before I try it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 2, 2019 at 12:14:09 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> I take some solace in the knowledge that any bee that ever stung me paid
> the ultimate price for the privilege. Maybe the reason he was never
> diagnosed with arthritis was because he had had all those preventative
> stings. I have heard that stinging nettles is also good for arthritis,
> but I will need more proof before I try it.

He may have been diagnosed with arthritis, but I can't say because I don't know. When I knew him, there seemed to be no signs of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N7JqkJ2nc0

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/2/2019 4:55 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, February 2, 2019 at 12:14:09 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> I take some solace in the knowledge that any bee that ever stung me paid
>> the ultimate price for the privilege. Maybe the reason he was never
>> diagnosed with arthritis was because he had had all those preventative
>> stings. I have heard that stinging nettles is also good for arthritis,
>> but I will need more proof before I try it.

> He may have been diagnosed with arthritis, but I can't say because I don't know. When I knew him, there seemed to be no signs of that.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N7JqkJ2nc0

Â* One of the reasons we keep so much honey here is because it's good
for our allergies . My wife adds a tablespoon to her daily morning tea ,
I eat more in the spring than any time , that's when my allergies kick
up . That only works though if the honey was harvested in your own area
.... local pollen and all that . Honey also has other medicinal benefits
, I've read about it being used as a kind of antibiotic ointment .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 2, 2019 at 1:18:07 PM UTC-10, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 2/2/2019 4:55 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Saturday, February 2, 2019 at 12:14:09 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> >> I take some solace in the knowledge that any bee that ever stung me paid
> >> the ultimate price for the privilege. Maybe the reason he was never
> >> diagnosed with arthritis was because he had had all those preventative
> >> stings. I have heard that stinging nettles is also good for arthritis,
> >> but I will need more proof before I try it.

> > He may have been diagnosed with arthritis, but I can't say because I don't know. When I knew him, there seemed to be no signs of that.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N7JqkJ2nc0

> Â* One of the reasons we keep so much honey here is because it's good
> for our allergies . My wife adds a tablespoon to her daily morning tea ,
> I eat more in the spring than any time , that's when my allergies kick
> up . That only works though if the honey was harvested in your own area
> ... local pollen and all that . Honey also has other medicinal benefits
> , I've read about it being used as a kind of antibiotic ointment .
>
> --
> Snag
> Yes , I'm old
> and crochety - and armed .
> Get outta my woods !

That's an interesting use for honey. Plants are factories for complex chemical compounds developed over countless generations which they use to protect themselves. Perhaps bees and honey are capable of doing something similar..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> * Are you calling me a liar ? That honey is stocked for MY use and my
>>> wife's . The bees are a varroa mite resistant variety developed by Ed
>>> Levi , a former Arkansas bee inspector - and there are NO chemicals used
>>> in my hives . Here's a link , Ed's business is mentioned

http://www.nwabeekeepers.com/beekeeping/favorite-links . I assume your
>>> reading comprehension is good enough to pick his name out . Just can't
>>> stand anyone that doesn't bend over and kiss your ass can you ?
>>>
>>> * And , since you claim I live in a city (we do own a house in Memphis
>>> , my son lives in it) here's a link to my photobucket
>>> http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Snag_one/library/ . BOOKMARK THAT LINK

>> Nothing worth seeing, just an ancient JD toy, likely stopped running
>> decades ago from the looks of that ripped seat. Anyway Amazon Photo
>> sucks, takes too long to load and difficult to navigate.

> * So you admit that you looked no farther than the first page . BTW ,
>that tractor runs like a top , was used earlier today to haul 2 loads of
>firewood over to be split and stacked . Of course you'll now call me a
>liar again ,

That is NOT a tractor... that's a POS riding lawnmower.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://www.nwabeekeepers.com/beekeeping/favorite-links . I assume your

>>> Nothing worth seeing, just an ancient JD toy, likely stopped running
>>> decades ago from the looks of that ripped seat. Anyway Amazon Photo
>>> sucks, takes too long to load and difficult to navigate.

>> Â* So you admit that you looked no farther than the first page . BTW ,
>> that tractor runs like a top , was used earlier today to haul 2 loads of
>> firewood over to be split and stacked . Of course you'll now call me a
>> liar again ,

> That is NOT a tractor... that's a POS riding lawnmower.

Â* No Sir , that is a John Deere model 317 yard tractor . Neither the
mower deck nor the front blade are mounted in those pics . Lawn mowers
don't clear snow from the driveway and the road up to the highway .
Rusty Tractor does . Also works great for clearing paths thru the brush
out in the woods to get to the trees I cut for firewood . And yes , I
admit that I used it a couple of times to mow the brush in the orchard
and the power line easement . We don't have a "lawn" .

Â* You do realize that the more you criticize and disparage (look it
up)Â* me the more you look like a fool ? But hey , you're getting
attention so ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> On 2/2/2019 4:55 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Saturday, February 2, 2019 at 12:14:09 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> >> I take some solace in the knowledge that any bee that ever stung me paid
> >> the ultimate price for the privilege. Maybe the reason he was never
> >> diagnosed with arthritis was because he had had all those preventative
> >> stings. I have heard that stinging nettles is also good for arthritis,
> >> but I will need more proof before I try it.

> > He may have been diagnosed with arthritis, but I can't say because I don't know. When I knew him, there seemed to be no signs of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N7JqkJ2nc0

> * One of the reasons we keep so much honey here is because it's good
> for our allergies . My wife adds a tablespoon to her daily morning tea ,
> I eat more in the spring than any time , that's when my allergies kick
> up . That only works though if the honey was harvested in your own area
> ... local pollen and all that . Honey also has other medicinal benefits
> , I've read about it being used as a kind of antibiotic ointment .

Manuka honey is used under medicinal prescription (by the NHS) in the
treatment of hard-to-heal wounds and abcesses. Don't use smkt manuka
honey for this; get the medicinally validated and purified prescription
treatments.

manuka homey is from a specific tree "Leptospermum, "tea tree", whose
leaves also have medicinal uses. I grow tea trees in my garden.

Last summer our vet prescribed medical-quality Manuka honey as one of
the applications for healing our greyhound's big open wounds. During a
dog attack he lost a palm-sized area of skin from his side (and a chunk
of underlying muscle) were bitten off him.

Not for the squeamish; in the vet car park before treatment.

https://ibb.co/7CMPxNv

Some of the surrounding skin was unsavable so surgical closure proved
impossible. The wound was left open and treated by daily cleaning and
dressing for the five months it took to heal and grow new skin. I used
two types of (prescribed) topical dressing, one of them manuka honey.

Manuka honey was highly effective from the POV of preventing infection
and tissue healing, but less so from the practical nursing angle as Dog
loved honey so much he could only think about licking it off. I used the
other stuff by day and the honey one at night.

He made a full recovery and as soon as the hair finishes growing in on
the last tiny bald patch of new skin he'll be as good as new.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/3/2019 6:58 AM, Janet wrote:
> In article >, says...
>>> He may have been diagnosed with arthritis, but I can't say because I don't know. When I knew him, there seemed to be no signs of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N7JqkJ2nc0
>> * One of the reasons we keep so much honey here is because it's good
>> for our allergies . My wife adds a tablespoon to her daily morning tea ,
>> I eat more in the spring than any time , that's when my allergies kick
>> up . That only works though if the honey was harvested in your own area
>> ... local pollen and all that . Honey also has other medicinal benefits
>> , I've read about it being used as a kind of antibiotic ointment .

> Manuka honey is used under medicinal prescription (by the NHS) in the
> treatment of hard-to-heal wounds and abcesses. Don't use smkt manuka
> honey for this; get the medicinally validated and purified prescription
> treatments.
>
> manuka homey is from a specific tree "Leptospermum, "tea tree", whose
> leaves also have medicinal uses. I grow tea trees in my garden.
>
> Last summer our vet prescribed medical-quality Manuka honey as one of
> the applications for healing our greyhound's big open wounds. During a
> dog attack he lost a palm-sized area of skin from his side (and a chunk
> of underlying muscle) were bitten off him.
>
> Not for the squeamish; in the vet car park before treatment.
>
> https://ibb.co/7CMPxNv
>
> Some of the surrounding skin was unsavable so surgical closure proved
> impossible. The wound was left open and treated by daily cleaning and
> dressing for the five months it took to heal and grow new skin. I used
> two types of (prescribed) topical dressing, one of them manuka honey.
>
> Manuka honey was highly effective from the POV of preventing infection
> and tissue healing, but less so from the practical nursing angle as Dog
> loved honey so much he could only think about licking it off. I used the
> other stuff by day and the honey one at night.
>
> He made a full recovery and as soon as the hair finishes growing in on
> the last tiny bald patch of new skin he'll be as good as new.
>
> Janet UK

* Unprovoked attack ? I hope the other dog(s) was/were put down ...
they would be if they attacked my dog ! There's a honey from either
Australia or NZ from a specific tree or plantthat is supposed to have
strong medicinal properties . Wish I could remember the name .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-03 8:28 a.m., heyjoe wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 19:38:30 -0600
> in Message-ID: >
> Terry Coombs > wrote :
>
>> We still have 9 quarts of raw unfiltered wildflower honey down in the
>> cellar . Not even labeled since I didn't intend on selling it .

> Bought some honey at our farmer's market just before Halloween. Looked
> at the still sealed, unopened jar yesterday and it's starting to go to
> sugar already. Isn't that a bit soon? Don't know how long it sat on
> the shelf at the farmer's market, but would've guessed it was fresh some
> time this year, or is that totally off base since it's going to sugar
> already? I know about heating the honey in hot water, but that's a
> temporary solution, in my experience.
>
> In your experience, how long does it normally take for honey to start
> going to sugar? Does filtered vs. unfiltered make a difference?
>
> What are your thoughts and experience with your honey turning to sugar?

It only crystallizes because it is a supersaturated sugar solution. It
will do it faster in cold weather (or cooler house temperatures). It is
not a problem. There is nothing wrong with honey that has granulated.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...
> >> up . That only works though if the honey was harvested in your own area
> >> ... local pollen and all that . Honey also has other medicinal benefits
> >> , I've read about it being used as a kind of antibiotic ointment .

> > Manuka honey is used under medicinal prescription (by the NHS) in the
> > treatment of hard-to-heal wounds and abcesses. Don't use smkt manuka
> > honey for this; get the medicinally validated and purified prescription
> > treatments.
> >
> > manuka homey is from a specific tree "Leptospermum, "tea tree", whose
> > leaves also have medicinal uses. I grow tea trees in my garden.
> >
> > Last summer our vet prescribed medical-quality Manuka honey as one of
> > the applications for healing our greyhound's big open wounds. During a
> > dog attack he lost a palm-sized area of skin from his side (and a chunk
> > of underlying muscle) were bitten off him.
> >
> > Not for the squeamish; in the vet car park before treatment.

https://ibb.co/7CMPxNv

> > Some of the surrounding skin was unsavable so surgical closure proved
> > impossible. The wound was left open and treated by daily cleaning and
> > dressing for the five months it took to heal and grow new skin. I used
> > two types of (prescribed) topical dressing, one of them manuka honey.
> >
> > Manuka honey was highly effective from the POV of preventing infection
> > and tissue healing, but less so from the practical nursing angle as Dog
> > loved honey so much he could only think about licking it off. I used the
> > other stuff by day and the honey one at night.
> >
> > He made a full recovery and as soon as the hair finishes growing in on
> > the last tiny bald patch of new skin he'll be as good as new.
> >
> > Janet UK
> >

> * Unprovoked attack ?

Yes; out of the blue. My totally laid back non-aggessive dog was on
lead on a public road fully under my control and minding his own
business. As we walked past the farm entrance as we've done a zillion
times before, the farm dogs raced out in pack mode.

> I hope the other dog(s) was/were put down ...

No.

They are working sheepdogs. Without them my farm neighbour can't run
his farm or make a living. I know his dogs well and individually they
are harmless, highly trained friendly dogs; normally penned in secure
kennels when not working under his strict control. On this occasion his
wife had let them loose all together for a few minutes while she cleaned
out the kennels. They took off in a pack and reverted to dog pack
behaviour :-(( to repel the passing giant.

By the time we reached the vet surgery the farmer had already phoned
ahead to alert her to incoming emergency and take responsibility for
paying the bill ( which was enormous, after five months of vet care).
They are good neighbours ; we have managed to stay civil,as rural
neighbours must.

> they would be if they attacked my dog ! There's a honey from either
> Australia or NZ from a specific tree or plantthat is supposed to have
> strong medicinal properties . Wish I could remember the name .

I just told you it. Manuka is the Maori name for NZ native
leptospermum scoparium, "tea tree".

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/3/2019 9:25 AM, Janet wrote:
> [...]

> kennels when not working under his strict control. On this occasion his
> wife had let them loose all together for a few minutes while she cleaned
> out the kennels. They took off in a pack and reverted to dog pack
> behaviour :-(( to repel the passing giant.
>
> By the time we reached the vet surgery the farmer had already phoned
> ahead to alert her to incoming emergency and take responsibility for
> paying the bill ( which was enormous, after five months of vet care).
> They are good neighbours ; we have managed to stay civil,as rural
> neighbours must.
>
>> they would be if they attacked my dog ! There's a honey from either
>> Australia or NZ from a specific tree or plantthat is supposed to have
>> strong medicinal properties . Wish I could remember the name .

> I just told you it. Manuka is the Maori name for NZ native

* Well at least the owners owned up to their responsibilities , glad
that y'all were able to retain good relations . On the honey , I didn't
realize we were talking about the same thing .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/3/2019 7:28 AM, heyjoe wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 19:38:30 -0600
> in Message-ID: >
> Terry Coombs > wrote :
>
>> We still have 9 quarts of raw unfiltered wildflower honey down in the
>> cellar . Not even labeled since I didn't intend on selling it .

> Bought some honey at our farmer's market just before Halloween. Looked
> at the still sealed, unopened jar yesterday and it's starting to go to
> sugar already. Isn't that a bit soon? Don't know how long it sat on
> the shelf at the farmer's market, but would've guessed it was fresh some
> time this year, or is that totally off base since it's going to sugar
> already? I know about heating the honey in hot water, but that's a
> temporary solution, in my experience.
>
> In your experience, how long does it normally take for honey to start
> going to sugar? Does filtered vs. unfiltered make a difference?
>
> What are your thoughts and experience with your honey turning to sugar?

Â* I have never had a jar of our honey crystallize . The longest we've
held any of our honey is just over a year , one bottle we finished off
after harvest last summer . It may depend on the source of the nectar ,
certainly is affected by the residual moisture content of the honey -
ours is a little more runny than most store-bought - and how it's been
stored . How it's processed may have something to do with it , honey is
often heated to pasteurize and make it runnier and easier to push thru
filters . Ours is never raised above room temperature and is strained
only thru cheesecloth to remove bee parts (!) and wax fragments from the
extraction process . Our label states "raw unfiltered wildflower honey
from untreated bees" because that's exactly what it is . We use NO
chemicals in our hives , these bees are bred to control varroa mites
without treatments .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old