Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Googie bread

Mumk used to make googie bread, not sure but I think it was bread dipped
in egg mix and fried,is it as simple as beaten egg soak bread in and
fry, seem to remember salt?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 12:22:11 +1100, FMurtz >
wrote:

> Mumk used to make googie bread, not sure but I think it was bread dipped
> in egg mix and fried,is it as simple as beaten egg soak bread in and
> fry, seem to remember salt?

Mom said that when she was a girl, Grandma made a dish called "bread
dipped in egg and milk and fried."

Which is the recipe I use for french toast. Proportions don't seem to
matter much.

It's best fried in butter. Or bacon grease if you don't plan to put
sweet stuff on it.

Especially if the slice of bacon is still in the grease.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

That's French toast in the U.S. I have no idea where the other names for it come from.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> That's French toast in the U.S. I have no idea where the other names for it come from.

Same here "in my area."
Just add butter and syrup to a stack. I've also had them buttered
then sprinkled with powdered sugar a few times - also good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> My mother called it eggy bread. I still make it as an easy go-to snack
> for the grandkids, or me. Good with bacon.
>
> Beat up an egg or two in a shallow dish, season.
> Lay slice of bread in egg mix, then turn it over so both sides absorb
> egg.
>
> Use a slice to transfer the soaked eggybread to hot oily frying pan ;
> when underneath is golden, flip to cook the other side.

Do you then eat that as is? Or do you top it with anything after
cooking?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-18 10:49 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/18/2019 10:35 AM, jay wrote:
>
>> Yes. I add a splash of vanilla and cream to the eggs.Â* Some like
>> powdered sugar but my preference is maple syrup and of course a side
>> of bacon. (:
>>
>> jay

> I sometimes add a splash of milk to the beaten eggs but what I really
> want is that eggy bread (which, I suppose, is why Janet UK calls it
> that).Â* Maple syrup is fine if you want to add sweetness.Â* And of
> course, a few strips of crisp bacon on the side.

I add more than a splash of milk. I don't like it too eggy. I like
French toast with maple syrup and I am not crazy about the combination
of egg and maple. If I have bacon and eggs with French toast I eat up
the eggs first and then add the syrup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 11:57:34 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-01-18 10:49 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 1/18/2019 10:35 AM, jay wrote:
>>
>>> Yes. I add a splash of vanilla and cream to the eggs.* Some like
>>> powdered sugar but my preference is maple syrup and of course a side
>>> of bacon. (:
>>>
>>> jay

>> I sometimes add a splash of milk to the beaten eggs but what I really
>> want is that eggy bread (which, I suppose, is why Janet UK calls it
>> that).* Maple syrup is fine if you want to add sweetness.* And of
>> course, a few strips of crisp bacon on the side.

>I add more than a splash of milk. I don't like it too eggy. I like
>French toast with maple syrup and I am not crazy about the combination
>of egg and maple. If I have bacon and eggs with French toast I eat up
>the eggs first and then add the syrup.

I like a stack of French toast with an over easy egg between each.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> That's French toast in the U.S. I have no idea where the other names for it come from.
>
> N.

It is made from googie eggs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ooo, FM, now I want to raise a flock of googies in my backyard! ;-))

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Ooo, FM, now I want to raise a flock of googies in my backyard! ;-))

Googies do poop a lot but you can save that for your vegetable
garden next spring/summer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 08:30:42 -0700, jay > wrote:

>On 1/18/19 1:00 PM, wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 11:57:34 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> I add more than a splash of milk. I don't like it too eggy. I like
>>> French toast with maple syrup and I am not crazy about the combination
>>> of egg and maple. If I have bacon and eggs with French toast I eat up
>>> the eggs first and then add the syrup.

>> I like a stack of French toast with an over easy egg between each.

>Sounds good. I may try a short stack.. 2 eggs 3 googies.
>
>jay

Don't forget to drizzle the pan butter on your stack.
Good with flapjacks as well. I never cared for maple syrup on
pancakes, and living here I get lots of real maple syrup for free...
mostly I use it in baking and to sweeten cereal... we like several of
the granolas/mueselis, right now we're working on this one:
https://www.quakeroats.com/products/...d-raisins.aspx
These are our usuals, excellent:
https://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill...05&sr=8-1&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill...%2C478&sr=8-10

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
>>> On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 11:57:34 -0500, Dave Smith

>>> I like a stack of French toast with an over easy egg between each.

>>Sounds good. I may try a short stack.. 2 eggs 3 googies.
>>
>>jay

>Don't forget to drizzle the pan butter on your stack.
>Good with flapjacks as well. I never cared for maple syrup on
>pancakes, and living here I get lots of real maple syrup for free...
>mostly I use it in baking and to sweeten cereal... we like several of
>the granolas/mueselis, right now we're working on this one:

https://www.quakeroats.com/products/...d-raisins.aspx

"WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED WHEAT, BROWN SUGAR,
RAISINS, CANOLA OIL, WHEY, INULIN, ALMONDS, NONFAT DRY MILK, GLYCERIN,
WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, HONEY, NATURAL FLAVOR (CONTAINS COCONUT
COMPONENTS), SUNFLOWER OIL, NATURAL MIXED TOCOPHEROLS (ADDED TO
PRESERVE FRESHNESS)"

Where would we be without tocopherols?

>These are our usuals, excellent:
>https://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill...05&sr=8-1&th=1

"Whole grain wheat, dates, sunflower seeds, raisins (raisins,
sunflower oil), whole grain rye, barley, whole grain rye, barely,
whole grain oats, whole grain triticale (wheat), almonds, flaxseed and
walnuts"

Pretty good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
>>> On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 11:57:34 -0500, Dave Smith

>>> I like a stack of French toast with an over easy egg between each.

>> Sounds good. I may try a short stack.. 2 eggs 3 googies.
>>
>> jay

> Don't forget to drizzle the pan butter on your stack.
> Good with flapjacks as well. I never cared for maple syrup on
> pancakes, and living here I get lots of real maple syrup for free...
> mostly I use it in baking and to sweeten cereal... we like several of
> the granolas/mueselis, right now we're working on this one:

https://www.quakeroats.com/products/...d-raisins.aspx
> These are our usuals, excellent:
> https://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill...05&sr=8-1&th=1
> https://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill...%2C478&sr=8-10

Bobs Red Mill everything = great! I love maple syrup. We really have
very few sweet meals though.

jay
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >>Sounds good. I may try a short stack.. 2 eggs 3 googies.
> >>
> >>jay

> >Don't forget to drizzle the pan butter on your stack.
> >Good with flapjacks as well. I never cared for maple syrup on
> >pancakes, and living here I get lots of real maple syrup for free...
> >mostly I use it in baking and to sweeten cereal... we like several of
> >the granolas/mueselis, right now we're working on this one:

https://www.quakeroats.com/products/...d-raisins.aspx

> "WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED WHEAT, BROWN SUGAR,
> RAISINS, CANOLA OIL, WHEY, INULIN, ALMONDS, NONFAT DRY MILK, GLYCERIN,
> WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, HONEY, NATURAL FLAVOR (CONTAINS COCONUT
> COMPONENTS), SUNFLOWER OIL, NATURAL MIXED TOCOPHEROLS (ADDED TO
> PRESERVE FRESHNESS)"
>
> Where would we be without tocopherols?

Where would we be without glycerin? Alpha-tocopherol is Vitamin E
(not that they specified which one(s)), but glycerin is what they
make my face soap out of.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >>Sounds good. I may try a short stack.. 2 eggs 3 googies.
> >>
> >>jay

> >Don't forget to drizzle the pan butter on your stack.
> >Good with flapjacks as well. I never cared for maple syrup on
> >pancakes, and living here I get lots of real maple syrup for free...
> >mostly I use it in baking and to sweeten cereal... we like several of
> >the granolas/mueselis, right now we're working on this one:

https://www.quakeroats.com/products/...d-raisins.aspx

> "WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED WHEAT, BROWN SUGAR,
> RAISINS, CANOLA OIL, WHEY, INULIN, ALMONDS, NONFAT DRY MILK, GLYCERIN,
> WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, HONEY, NATURAL FLAVOR (CONTAINS COCONUT
> COMPONENTS), SUNFLOWER OIL, NATURAL MIXED TOCOPHEROLS (ADDED TO
> PRESERVE FRESHNESS)"
>
> Where would we be without tocopherols?

Where would we be without glycerin? Alpha-tocopherol is Vitamin E
(not that they specified which one(s)), but glycerin is what they
make my face soap out of.

Cindy Hamilton

==

Please would you, or someone, tell me what 'googie bread' is??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> > >Don't forget to drizzle the pan butter on your stack.
> > >Good with flapjacks as well. I never cared for maple syrup on
> > >pancakes, and living here I get lots of real maple syrup for free...
> > >mostly I use it in baking and to sweeten cereal... we like several of
> > >the granolas/mueselis, right now we're working on this one:

https://www.quakeroats.com/products/...d-raisins.aspx

> > "WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED WHEAT, BROWN SUGAR,
> > RAISINS, CANOLA OIL, WHEY, INULIN, ALMONDS, NONFAT DRY MILK, GLYCERIN,
> > WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, HONEY, NATURAL FLAVOR (CONTAINS COCONUT
> > COMPONENTS), SUNFLOWER OIL, NATURAL MIXED TOCOPHEROLS (ADDED TO
> > PRESERVE FRESHNESS)"
> >
> > Where would we be without tocopherols?

> Where would we be without glycerin? Alpha-tocopherol is Vitamin E
> (not that they specified which one(s)), but glycerin is what they
> make my face soap out of.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ==
>
> Please would you, or someone, tell me what 'googie bread' is??

You might know it as pain perdu, eggy bread, or poor knights.

bread dipped in a mix of milk and eggs (possibly with other flavorings),
fried in some sort of fat.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/19/2019 4:12 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> Please would you, or someone, tell me what 'googie bread' is??

Pain perdu.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> >Don't forget to drizzle the pan butter on your stack.
>> >Good with flapjacks as well. I never cared for maple syrup on
>> >pancakes, and living here I get lots of real maple syrup for free...
>> >mostly I use it in baking and to sweeten cereal... we like several of
>> >the granolas/mueselis, right now we're working on this one:

https://www.quakeroats.com/products/...d-raisins.aspx

>> "WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED WHEAT, BROWN SUGAR,
>> RAISINS, CANOLA OIL, WHEY, INULIN, ALMONDS, NONFAT DRY MILK, GLYCERIN,
>> WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, HONEY, NATURAL FLAVOR (CONTAINS COCONUT
>> COMPONENTS), SUNFLOWER OIL, NATURAL MIXED TOCOPHEROLS (ADDED TO
>> PRESERVE FRESHNESS)"
>>
>> Where would we be without tocopherols?

> Where would we be without glycerin? Alpha-tocopherol is Vitamin E
> (not that they specified which one(s)), but glycerin is what they
> make my face soap out of.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ==
>
> Please would you, or someone, tell me what 'googie bread' is??

What we call French Toast where I am.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> > >Don't forget to drizzle the pan butter on your stack.
> > >Good with flapjacks as well. I never cared for maple syrup on
> > >pancakes, and living here I get lots of real maple syrup for free...
> > >mostly I use it in baking and to sweeten cereal... we like several of
> > >the granolas/mueselis, right now we're working on this one:

https://www.quakeroats.com/products/...d-raisins.aspx

> > "WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED WHEAT, BROWN SUGAR,
> > RAISINS, CANOLA OIL, WHEY, INULIN, ALMONDS, NONFAT DRY MILK, GLYCERIN,
> > WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, HONEY, NATURAL FLAVOR (CONTAINS COCONUT
> > COMPONENTS), SUNFLOWER OIL, NATURAL MIXED TOCOPHEROLS (ADDED TO
> > PRESERVE FRESHNESS)"
> >
> > Where would we be without tocopherols?

> Where would we be without glycerin? Alpha-tocopherol is Vitamin E
> (not that they specified which one(s)), but glycerin is what they
> make my face soap out of.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ==
>
> Please would you, or someone, tell me what 'googie bread' is??

You might know it as pain perdu, eggy bread, or poor knights.

bread dipped in a mix of milk and eggs (possibly with other flavorings),
fried in some sort of fat.

Cindy Hamilton

==

Ahh yes, pain perdu! Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 1/19/2019 4:12 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> Please would you, or someone, tell me what 'googie bread' is??

Pain perdu.

==

Thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" wrote in message ...

On 19-Jan-2019, "Ophelia" > wrote:

> Please would you, or someone, tell me what 'googie bread' is??

Best I can tell, googie is Australian childish-speak for egg; like other
child-speak, such as tater, sammich, or psgetti. Apparently meaning bread
dipped in egg and fried.

===

Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> >Don't forget to drizzle the pan butter on your stack.
>> >Good with flapjacks as well. I never cared for maple syrup on
>> >pancakes, and living here I get lots of real maple syrup for free...
>> >mostly I use it in baking and to sweeten cereal... we like several of
>> >the granolas/mueselis, right now we're working on this one:

https://www.quakeroats.com/products/...d-raisins.aspx

>> "WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED WHEAT, BROWN SUGAR,
>> RAISINS, CANOLA OIL, WHEY, INULIN, ALMONDS, NONFAT DRY MILK, GLYCERIN,
>> WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, HONEY, NATURAL FLAVOR (CONTAINS COCONUT
>> COMPONENTS), SUNFLOWER OIL, NATURAL MIXED TOCOPHEROLS (ADDED TO
>> PRESERVE FRESHNESS)"
>>
>> Where would we be without tocopherols?

> Where would we be without glycerin? Alpha-tocopherol is Vitamin E
> (not that they specified which one(s)), but glycerin is what they
> make my face soap out of.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ==
>
> Please would you, or someone, tell me what 'googie bread' is??

What we call French Toast where I am.

Cheri

--

heh it seems to have a multitude of names)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> combination

>> eat >>>> up

>> >Don't forget to drizzle the pan butter on your stack.
>> >Good with flapjacks as well.Â* I never cared for maple syrup on
>> >pancakes, and living here I get lots of real maple syrup for free...
>> >mostly I use it in baking and to sweeten cereal... we like several of
>> >the granolas/mueselis, right now we're working on this one:

https://www.quakeroats.com/products/...d-raisins.aspx

>> "WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED WHEAT, BROWN SUGAR,
>> RAISINS, CANOLA OIL, WHEY, INULIN, ALMONDS, NONFAT DRY MILK, GLYCERIN,
>> WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, HONEY, NATURAL FLAVOR (CONTAINS COCONUT
>> COMPONENTS), SUNFLOWER OIL, NATURAL MIXED TOCOPHEROLS (ADDED TO
>> PRESERVE FRESHNESS)"
>>
>> Where would we be without tocopherols?

> Where would we be without glycerin?Â* Alpha-tocopherol is Vitamin E
> (not that they specified which one(s)), but glycerin is what they
> make my face soap out of.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ==
>
> Please would you, or someone, tell me what 'googie bread' is??

Sounds like it is french toast.