Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Caraway Rye

I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this recipe:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/

I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after baking.
The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad once I put it on
the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for round pans (not even sure that
I have them) so used the sheet pans that I got from Costco. Next time I
think I will make 4 smaller loaves. Didn't get enough height for sandwiches
but otherwise it's great!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 22:31:02 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this recipe:
>
> https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/
>
> I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after baking.
> The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad once I put it on
> the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for round pans (not even sure that
> I have them) so used the sheet pans that I got from Costco. Next time I
> think I will make 4 smaller loaves. Didn't get enough height for sandwiches
> but otherwise it's great!

You couldn't eat bread with milk in it last year. Or can you only
eat bread containing milk in months ending in 'Y' and 'L'?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 22:31:02 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this recipe:
>>
>> https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/
>>
>> I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after
>> baking.
>> The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad once I put it on
>> the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for round pans (not even sure
>> that
>> I have them) so used the sheet pans that I got from Costco. Next time I
>> think I will make 4 smaller loaves. Didn't get enough height for
>> sandwiches
>> but otherwise it's great!

> You couldn't eat bread with milk in it last year. Or can you only
> eat bread containing milk in months ending in 'Y' and 'L'?

I no longer have a dairy intolerance. My GP wanted me to avoid dairy for a
problem that I won't get into here. Dairy was not a problem. I am back to
eating it. This bread does not contain milk. I did sub in the butter. If I
needed for whatever reason to avoid dairy, I would sub another oil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 10:53:04 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 22:31:02 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> >> I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this recipe:
> >>
> >> https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/
> >>
> >> I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after
> >> baking.
> >> The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad once I put it on
> >> the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for round pans (not even sure
> >> that
> >> I have them) so used the sheet pans that I got from Costco. Next time I
> >> think I will make 4 smaller loaves. Didn't get enough height for
> >> sandwiches
> >> but otherwise it's great!

> > You couldn't eat bread with milk in it last year. Or can you only
> > eat bread containing milk in months ending in 'Y' and 'L'?

> I no longer have a dairy intolerance. My GP wanted me to avoid dairy for a
> problem that I won't get into here. Dairy was not a problem. I am back to
> eating it. This bread does not contain milk. I did sub in the butter. If I
> needed for whatever reason to avoid dairy, I would sub another oil.

There are short periods of time where I can eat dairy products with impunity. I cannot say how that happens. It makes me feel invincible like a superhero.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 22:31:02 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this recipe:
>
>https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/
>
>I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after baking.
>The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad once I put it on
>the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for round pans (not even sure that
>I have them) so used the sheet pans that I got from Costco. Next time I
>think I will make 4 smaller loaves. Didn't get enough height for sandwiches
>but otherwise it's great!

put the dough in your bread loaf pans

Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. > wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 22:31:02 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this recipe:
>>
>> https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/
>>
>> I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after baking.
>> The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad once I put it on
>> the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for round pans (not even sure that
>> I have them) so used the sheet pans that I got from Costco. Next time I
>> think I will make 4 smaller loaves. Didn't get enough height for sandwiches
>> but otherwise it's great!

> put the dough in your bread loaf pans

It also bears noting that substituting butter for oil isnt always an even
swap in terms of the amount used.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

You can't even buy rye bread here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 20:01:12 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>U.S. Janet B. > wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 22:31:02 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this recipe:
>>>
>>> https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/
>>>
>>> I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after baking.
>>> The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad once I put it on
>>> the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for round pans (not even sure that
>>> I have them) so used the sheet pans that I got from Costco. Next time I
>>> think I will make 4 smaller loaves. Didn't get enough height for sandwiches
>>> but otherwise it's great!

>> put the dough in your bread loaf pans
>>

>It also bears noting that substituting butter for oil isn’t always an even
>swap in terms of the amount used.

absolutely true
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 4:39:11 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> You can't even buy rye bread here.

Your Kroger should stock it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 22:31:02 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> >I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this recipe:
> >
> >https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/
> >
> >I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after baking.
> >The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad once I put it on
> >the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for round pans (not even sure that
> >I have them) so used the sheet pans that I got from Costco. Next time I
> >think I will make 4 smaller loaves. Didn't get enough height for sandwiches
> >but otherwise it's great!

> put the dough in your bread loaf pans

That's what I was wondering. Does Julie not own bread pans?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 22:31:02 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this recipe:
>> >
>> >https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/
>> >
>> >I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after
>> >baking.
>> >The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad once I put it
>> >on
>> >the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for round pans (not even sure
>> >that
>> >I have them) so used the sheet pans that I got from Costco. Next time I
>> >think I will make 4 smaller loaves. Didn't get enough height for
>> >sandwiches
>> >but otherwise it's great!

>> put the dough in your bread loaf pans

> That's what I was wondering. Does Julie not own bread pans?

I recently got some of the copper chef bread pans, they are really nice and
only 8 bucks apiece with free shipping.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jinx the Minx" > wrote in message
> U.S. Janet B. > wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 22:31:02 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this recipe:
>>>
>>> https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/
>>>
>>> I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after
>>> baking.
>>> The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad once I put it
>>> on
>>> the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for round pans (not even sure
>>> that
>>> I have them) so used the sheet pans that I got from Costco. Next time I
>>> think I will make 4 smaller loaves. Didn't get enough height for
>>> sandwiches
>>> but otherwise it's great!

>> put the dough in your bread loaf pans
>>

> It also bears noting that substituting butter for oil isnt always an even
> swap in terms of the amount used.

Oh?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 14-Jan-2019, Jinx the Minx > wrote:
>
>> U.S. Janet B. > wrote:
>> > On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 22:31:02 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>> > put the dough in your bread loaf pans
>> >

>> It also bears noting that substituting butter for oil isn?Tt always an
>> even
>> swap in terms of the amount used.

> An equal volume of butter would typically only have about 80% of the fat
> with another 17% or so being water. That could make a pretty substantial
> difference in the end product.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.198...
> On Mon 14 Jan 2019 10:42:10a, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>
>> On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 22:31:02 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this
>>>recipe:
>>>
>>>https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/
>>>
>>>I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after
>>>baking. The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad
>>>once I put it on the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for
>>>round pans (not even sure that I have them) so used the sheet pans
>>>that I got from Costco. Next time I think I will make 4 smaller
>>>loaves. Didn't get enough height for sandwiches but otherwise it's
>>>great!

>> put the dough in your bread loaf pans
>>

> The recipe sonds good.

It's very good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> You can't even buy rye bread here.

Where do you live? I've seen it everywhere I've lived.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 22:31:02 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I wanted to use up the dark rye flour that I bought. I made this recipe:
>> >
>> >https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...eed-rye-bread/
>> >
>> >I subbed butter for the canola oil and put more butter on it after
>> >baking.
>> >The dough got a very good rise to it but spread like mad once I put it
>> >on
>> >the baking sheets. I didn't want to look for round pans (not even sure
>> >that
>> >I have them) so used the sheet pans that I got from Costco. Next time I
>> >think I will make 4 smaller loaves. Didn't get enough height for
>> >sandwiches
>> >but otherwise it's great!

>> put the dough in your bread loaf pans

> That's what I was wondering. Does Julie not own bread pans?

I do but this makes a round loaf.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 22:31:02 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> put the dough in your bread loaf pans

>> That's what I was wondering. Does Julie not own bread pans?

> I recently got some of the copper chef bread pans, they are really nice
> and only 8 bucks apiece with free shipping.

These are round loaves though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I live in rural WV
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 16:41:31 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 22:31:02 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> put the dough in your bread loaf pans

>> That's what I was wondering. Does Julie not own bread pans?

>I do but this makes a round loaf.

You're allowed to put the dough in a regular bread pan.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 16:41:31 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> That's what I was wondering. Does Julie not own bread pans?

>>I do but this makes a round loaf.

> You're allowed to put the dough in a regular bread pan.

I know but I wanted the round loaf.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> I recently got some of the copper chef bread pans, they are really nice and
> only 8 bucks apiece with free shipping.

Cool. Have you used any yet? Are they "all that" like their
infomercials claim? Some miracle pans advertised, I also always
wonder just how long they will last.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Cheri wrote:
>>
>> I recently got some of the copper chef bread pans, they are really nice
>> and
>> only 8 bucks apiece with free shipping.

> Cool. Have you used any yet? Are they "all that" like their
> infomercials claim? Some miracle pans advertised, I also always
> wonder just how long they will last.

Yes I have, they are quite heavy, cook evenly, and sure to outlast me. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > Cheri wrote:
> >>
> >> I recently got some of the copper chef bread pans, they are really nice
> >> and
> >> only 8 bucks apiece with free shipping.

> > Cool. Have you used any yet? Are they "all that" like their
> > infomercials claim? Some miracle pans advertised, I also always
> > wonder just how long they will last.

> Yes I have, they are quite heavy, cook evenly, and sure to outlast me. ;-)
>
> Cheri

Heavy sounds good. I was wondering if they were flimsy or not.
Hopefully that non-stick coating will last too.

Caraway soup biig General Cooking 3 03-10-2005 01:25 PM
Baby Potatoes with Caraway Carrot Filling T & J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 06-07-2005 03:44 AM
caraway or cumin Wazza Asian Cooking 21 15-04-2005 11:30 AM
Noodles With Kielbasa, Cabbage And Caraway Seeds 7Hawks Recipes 0 16-11-2004 02:43 PM
Caraway seed substitue Doe John General Cooking 19 30-03-2004 01:33 AM