Old 13-01-2019, 06:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thinking about Chicken Stew

I finally caught what I consider a good price on chicken leg quarters.
99 cents/lb. (Yeah, I can't wait for someone to chime in and tell me
they're always 99 cents or even 69 cents. No they aren't. We don't all
shop at the same stores.)

At least I didn't have to buy a "family pack" to get the lower price.
Three large leg quarters is plenty for what I have in mind and that
includes leftovers. It freezes well.

So, I've got three meaty chicken leg quarters thawing as I type. I
bought them with an eye towards making chicken stew. I haven't decided
yet if I'll spoon the mixture over some crumbled biscuits (it's
basically creamed chicken with some vegetables added; Mom called it
"Chicken On a Biscuit") or add drop dumplings to the pot and turn it
into chicken stew with dumplings.*

At any rate, there's homemade chicken stew in my near future.

*NOTE: The last time I made this with dumplings I used a mixture of
flour and cornmeal. Different texture but quite fitting with the
chicken.

Jill

Old 13-01-2019, 07:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill, stop it, you're making me hungry! I would probably turn the chicken into
creamed chicken on toast, because that's what I would like best. ;-)). Or
maybe chicken croquettes......in any event, your choices sound good. As you
can tell, I would go for the stew mixture on biscuits, instead of dumplings. Enjoy.

N.
Old 13-01-2019, 07:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-13 12:32 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
[...]

That sounds pretty good. I don't stew chicken as often as I should, and
my braised chicken dishes are usually either paprikash or chausseur.

Old 13-01-2019, 08:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 12:32:42 -0500, jmcquown
wrote:

[...]

Chicken stew isn't in my repertoire. Please clue me as to how YOU
make it. Don't have to explain biscuits or dumplings. Just chicken
cooking for it and which veggies. I always have tons of chicken in my
freezer because I buy whenever the thighs or breasts go on sale for
$.99. My chicken is bone in/skin on.
Thanks a bunch (always looking for a different way to use chicken)
Janet US
Old 13-01-2019, 08:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2019 1:35 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
Jill, stop it, you're making me hungry! I would probably turn the chicken into
creamed chicken on toast, because that's what I would like best. ;-)). Or
maybe chicken croquettes......in any event, your choices sound good. As you
can tell, I would go for the stew mixture on biscuits, instead of dumplings. Enjoy.

N.

Chicken on a biscuit is one of my favorite things ever! When my parents
first moved to this house and I'd come and visit, Mom would ask "What
would you like for dinner?" Chicken on a biscuit!

I make drop biscuits using an old Betty Crocker recipe. So did Mom,
until she discovered Bisquik.

When it comes to dumplings, it depends on my mood. I did like the
cornmeal dumplings. But add them sparingly because they have a
different texture than flour drop dumplings.

I never make rolled (flat) dumplings. Some people like them. I think
they're too heavy and doughy.

Jill

Old 13-01-2019, 08:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Okay... so. You put the chicken (I've got leg quarters with skin) in a
deep pot and cover it with cold water. Add salt and pepper and a couple
of bay leaves. Bring it to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer
for an hour. Until the chicken is cooked.

Remove the chicken to a platter. Fish out the bay leaves. Now, remove
the chicken skin and discard. Then basically tear the chicken into
pieces and return it to the pot with the chicken broth.

At this point I add a cup of (from frozen) finely diced carrots and
peas. Bring it back to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer until the veggies
are tender.

Meanwhile, prepare 2 cups of medium white sauce and stir into the
reduced chicken broth. Simmer covered about 20 minutes, then uncovered
another 15 or so until thickened.

If you want biscuits, make them while it's cooking. Chicken on a
biscuit. Yum!

Jill
Old 13-01-2019, 10:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 12:32:42 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

I finally caught what I consider a good price on chicken leg quarters.
99 cents/lb. (Yeah, I can't wait for someone to chime in and tell me
they're always 99 cents or even 69 cents. No they aren't. We don't all
shop at the same stores.)

They're never more than $.99/lb here (I didn't say what you
predicted we'd say).

At least I didn't have to buy a "family pack" to get the lower price.
Three large leg quarters is plenty for what I have in mind and that
includes leftovers. It freezes well.

If they freeze well and are on sale, why not buy more?

I bought them with an eye towards making chicken stew.

IMNSHO, stews are made with animals who walk on four legs.

-sw (Yes, I'm in THAT mode today).
Old 13-01-2019, 10:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 13 Jan 2019 10:32:42a, jmcquown told us...

[...]

I would more likely use that mixture for a chicken pot pie. Just my
preference.

Go for it. I'm not in a chicken pot pie mood. I suppose I could drop
biscuit dough on the top and bake it like a pot pie. Naw... I'll just
spoon it over biscuits.

Jill
Old 13-01-2019, 10:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2019 4:10 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 12:32:42 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

I finally caught what I consider a good price on chicken leg quarters.
99 cents/lb. (Yeah, I can't wait for someone to chime in and tell me
they're always 99 cents or even 69 cents. No they aren't. We don't all
shop at the same stores.)

They're never more than $.99/lb here (I didn't say what you
predicted we'd say).

I wasn't thinking about you when I wrote that.

At least I didn't have to buy a "family pack" to get the lower price.
Three large leg quarters is plenty for what I have in mind and that
includes leftovers. It freezes well.

If they freeze well and are on sale, why not buy more?

Because I'm not a huge fan of chicken. I could have bought the family
pack (same price per pound) and divvy'd them up in freezer bags. Then
I'd be stuck with a lot of chicken.

I bought them with an eye towards making chicken stew.

IMNSHO, stews are made with animals who walk on four legs.

-sw (Yes, I'm in THAT mode today).

Whatever, dear.

Jill
Old 13-01-2019, 10:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Addition (WAS Thinking about Chicken Stew)

wrote:

[...]

Add a miripoix of aromatic vegetables. I'll be using a frozen seasoning
blend that includes minced onion, celery and red bell pepper. The
garlic will be fresh.

Old 13-01-2019, 10:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 13 Jan 2019 02:28:39p, jmcquown told us...

[...]

Certainly nothing wrong with any of the versioins you mentioned, and
I would enjoy them. I just happen to like pie crust, and always make
a double crust pie, whether it be chicken or beef

I like pie crust, too. But no matter how many people tell me how easy
it is, I cannot make a good pie crust.

Chicken on a biscuit will be fine.

Jill
Old 13-01-2019, 10:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 1:11:59 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:

I never make rolled (flat) dumplings. Some people like them. I think
they're too heavy and doughy.

Jill

I've only had rolled, aka slicks, once and that was at a restaurant downtown.
They were heavenly but I've never had a good drop dumpling that was good, never.
They're always heavy and doughy, ugh. I wish I had kept count of the times I've
eaten drop dumplings and the cook swore up and down I would simply fall in love
with theirs. They had won cooking contests with theirs; they're a favorite of
everyone who has ever tasted them, blah, blah, blah. Needless to say, I've
completely given up on ever eating dumplings again.

Old 13-01-2019, 11:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

O.k., so you actually stew the chicken. You used frozen veg (mixed
veg would then be o.k.) Gotcha on the white sauce. Will serve over
thick old-fashioned noodles.
Thanks
Old 13-01-2019, 11:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 13 Jan 2019 02:32:30p, jmcquown told us...

[...]

I guess he doesn't include fish or seafood then. :-)

Well, I can't blame him for that. I don't make fish or seafood stew.

Jill

Chicken stew Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 291 21-05-2016 02:54 AM
REC: Chicken Pot Pie Stew Koko General Cooking 5 03-03-2007 04:23 AM
Chicken Stew Duckie « Recipes 0 28-06-2005 02:53 PM
Stew Chicken vs Regular Chicken mary General Cooking 1 07-12-2004 07:04 PM
chicken stew Michael Snow General Cooking 18 19-04-2004 12:12 AM