Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Apples and oranges

I'm making applesauce frequently these days for my wife, who's
recovering from hip-replacement surgery. My method is to chunk up
about a kilogram of cored but unpeeled apples, add some water and a
tablespoon or so of lemon juice (to keep the apples from oxidizing),
and cook covered over low heat for about 30 minutes or until the
apples fall apart. I then remove the lid, increase the heat, and boil
vigorously until I have the consistency I want. I let the apples cool
and take a stick blender to them to get a puree.

For the most recent batch I didn't have a lemon handy but I did have
an orange that was "past its prime" so to speak. I juiced the orange
and used that instead of lemon juice. I also threw in about a quarter
of the orange's peel, which I removed before the blender-stick step.

My wife loves the result and says that's how I should make it from now
on.

--
Bob
St Francis would have done better to preach to the cats
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Opinicus" wrote in message
l.which.is.quite.invalid...

[...]

===

Pleased it turned out well I can't begin to count the stuff I have made
differently that turned out to be popular)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Opinicus" > wrote in message
l.which.is.quite.invalid...
> I'm making applesauce frequently these days for my wife, who's
> recovering from hip-replacement surgery. My method is to chunk up
> about a kilogram of cored but unpeeled apples, add some water and a
> tablespoon or so of lemon juice (to keep the apples from oxidizing),
> and cook covered over low heat for about 30 minutes or until the
> apples fall apart. I then remove the lid, increase the heat, and boil
> vigorously until I have the consistency I want. I let the apples cool
> and take a stick blender to them to get a puree.
>
> For the most recent batch I didn't have a lemon handy but I did have
> an orange that was "past its prime" so to speak. I juiced the orange
> and used that instead of lemon juice. I also threw in about a quarter
> of the orange's peel, which I removed before the blender-stick step.
>
> My wife loves the result and says that's how I should make it from now
> on.

Cool! I mixed pears into mine when we had a ton of pears.

I just ate three oranges John Kuthe[_2_] General Cooking 18 15-02-2010 05:37 PM
Comparing apples and oranges? Anna Maria Wine 8 22-04-2009 03:45 PM
oranges werwiniskp Baking 0 27-03-2009 06:53 AM
Red apples, rosy apples... Isaac Wingfield General Cooking 2 15-11-2004 06:24 AM
Apples, apples, oh and apples.....and pears Nexis General Cooking 15 23-09-2004 05:00 PM