FoodBanter.com

-   -   Apples and oranges (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/445579-apples-oranges.html)

Opinicus[_4_] 13-01-2019 11:33 AM

Apples and oranges

I'm making applesauce frequently these days for my wife, who's
recovering from hip-replacement surgery. My method is to chunk up
about a kilogram of cored but unpeeled apples, add some water and a
tablespoon or so of lemon juice (to keep the apples from oxidizing),
and cook covered over low heat for about 30 minutes or until the
apples fall apart. I then remove the lid, increase the heat, and boil
vigorously until I have the consistency I want. I let the apples cool
and take a stick blender to them to get a puree.

For the most recent batch I didn't have a lemon handy but I did have
an orange that was "past its prime" so to speak. I juiced the orange
and used that instead of lemon juice. I also threw in about a quarter
of the orange's peel, which I removed before the blender-stick step.

My wife loves the result and says that's how I should make it from now
on.

--
Bob
St Francis would have done better to preach to the cats

Ophelia[_16_] 13-01-2019 12:42 PM

Apples and oranges

"Opinicus" wrote in message
l.which.is.quite.invalid...

[...]

===

Pleased it turned out well:) I can't begin to count the stuff I have made
differently that turned out to be popular:))

Julie Bove[_2_] 13-01-2019 11:55 PM

Apples and oranges

"Opinicus" > wrote in message
l.which.is.quite.invalid...
> I'm making applesauce frequently these days for my wife, who's
> recovering from hip-replacement surgery. My method is to chunk up
> about a kilogram of cored but unpeeled apples, add some water and a
> tablespoon or so of lemon juice (to keep the apples from oxidizing),
> and cook covered over low heat for about 30 minutes or until the
> apples fall apart. I then remove the lid, increase the heat, and boil
> vigorously until I have the consistency I want. I let the apples cool
> and take a stick blender to them to get a puree.
>
> For the most recent batch I didn't have a lemon handy but I did have
> an orange that was "past its prime" so to speak. I juiced the orange
> and used that instead of lemon juice. I also threw in about a quarter
> of the orange's peel, which I removed before the blender-stick step.
>
> My wife loves the result and says that's how I should make it from now
> on.

Cool! I mixed pears into mine when we had a ton of pears.