Old 11-01-2019, 10:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fireplace

Meant to post this.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...ZtTb4mOOtpt_UY

Nice burn getting going.

Also made bread:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...mkpNHdraGZjKU_

Old 11-01-2019, 11:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/19 2:51 PM, cshenk wrote:
Meant to post this.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...ZtTb4mOOtpt_UY

Nice burn getting going.

Also made bread:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...mkpNHdraGZjKU_

Nice! We have a fire every evening. About 6 inches of snow on the
ground. Good time to bake something and add extra heat to your casa.

jay
Old 12-01-2019, 01:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2019 3:51 PM, cshenk wrote:
Meant to post this.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...ZtTb4mOOtpt_UY

Nice burn getting going.

Also made bread:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...mkpNHdraGZjKU_

¬* Well , it IS pretty ... but is it just for pretty or for heat ? You
can't see the fire , but you sure can feel the heat pouring off out wood
burning stove . Gotta get back out in the woods , we're down to just
over a cord on hand .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 12-01-2019, 04:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2019 7:46 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 1/11/2019 3:51 PM, cshenk wrote:
Meant to post this.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...ZtTb4mOOtpt_UY

Nice burn getting going.

Also made bread:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...mkpNHdraGZjKU_

¬* Well , it IS pretty ... but is it just for pretty or for heat ? You
can't see the fire , but you sure can feel the heat pouring off out wood
burning stove . Gotta get back out in the woods , we're down to just
over a cord on hand .

I'm not missing it. Woke up this morning and the house dropped to 69
overnight but once the sun came out it warmed up again to 72. I can
enjoy winters like this. Since we moved here, daily dress is shorts and
T-shirt.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Meant to post this.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...ZtTb4mOOtpt_UY

Nice burn getting going.

Lovely) It's a long time since I had one of those

Also made bread:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...mkpNHdraGZjKU_

Atm D. keep asking for plain white. I am using pizza flour and it is
particularly good I am missing my seeded/wholemeal bread. It isn't worth
making it just for me, because I eat so little.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2019 9:24 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/11/2019 7:46 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 1/11/2019 3:51 PM, cshenk wrote:
Meant to post this.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...ZtTb4mOOtpt_UY

Nice burn getting going.

Also made bread:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...mkpNHdraGZjKU_

¬*¬* Well , it IS pretty ... but is it just for pretty or for heat ?
You can't see the fire , but you sure can feel the heat pouring off
out wood burning stove . Gotta get back out in the woods , we're down
to just over a cord on hand .

I'm not missing it.¬* Woke up this morning and the house dropped to 69
overnight but once the sun came out it warmed up again to 72. I can
enjoy winters like this.¬* Since we moved here, daily dress is shorts
and T-shirt.

I'm glad you're happy ! I'm not about to leave¬* ... it ain't all wine
and roses , but I like it here .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 12-01-2019, 03:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2019 10:24 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/11/2019 7:46 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 1/11/2019 3:51 PM, cshenk wrote:
Meant to post this.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...ZtTb4mOOtpt_UY

Nice burn getting going.

Also made bread:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...mkpNHdraGZjKU_

¬*¬* Well , it IS pretty ... but is it just for pretty or for heat ? You
can't see the fire , but you sure can feel the heat pouring off out
wood burning stove . Gotta get back out in the woods , we're down to
just over a cord on hand .

I'm not missing it.¬* Woke up this morning and the house dropped to 69
overnight but once the sun came out it warmed up again to 72.¬* I can
enjoy winters like this.¬* Since we moved here, daily dress is shorts and
T-shirt.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, Ed! It's going to be a slightly chilly 56F
here today but that's not enough to make me wear anything other than
shorts and a T-shirt or tank top around the house. Sometimes I miss
having a wood burning fireplace, though, if only for the ambiance.

Jill
Old 12-01-2019, 04:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 09:44:44 -0500, jmcquown
wrote:

[...]

The new gas fireplaces offer ambience without the work... they are so
realistic that people find themselves wondering whether it's a real
wood fire. And they also offer heat.
https://search.aol.com/aol/image;_yl...t=loki-keyword
https://www.matchlessny.com/galleries
We have a very nice real wood burning fireplace in the living room but
we've not lit it yet, I've had fireplaces before and they are too much
work for how little time I spent looking at wood burn. If ever I felt
a need I'd definitely have a gas insert installed.

Old 12-01-2019, 04:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2019 9:44 AM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I always thought it fun to get a really bad storm and a couple of feet
of snow. The problem was, it did not go away the next day and you drove
and walked through slush and slop for weeks.

Being far east in the time zone it was dark at 4:30 in winter, now that
we are more west it is 6 o'clock and lots of sun. I may not like the
heat in July, but this is the best winter ever.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-12 10:18 a.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I always thought it fun to get a really bad storm and a couple of feet
of snow.¬* The problem was, it did not go away the next day and you drove
and walked through slush and slop for weeks.

Being far east in the time zone it was dark at 4:30 in winter, now that
we are more west it is 6 o'clock and lots of sun.¬* I may not like the
heat in July, but this is the best winter ever.

There are a lot of Canadians who have the best of both worlds by moving
south for 6 months in the winter and returning home for summer.The get
to enjoy winter without snow and summers that are not like steam baths.

Old 12-01-2019, 05:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 10:00:50 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

There are a lot of Canadians who have the best of both worlds by moving
south for 6 months in the winter and returning home for summer. The get
to enjoy winter without snow and summers that are not like steam baths.

Snowbirds.

Old 12-01-2019, 05:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

My cat Persia used to love curling up on a pillow in front of the
fireplace at the apartment in Cordova. The pillow was set well away
from the hearth, of course. She'd curl up and watch the flames.
Eventually she'd take a nap in front of the fireplace. It was a nice
warm spot.

There's a fireplace in my living room. It's propane. There's a tall
propane tank (looks a bit like a torpedo) standing next to one side of
the house. According to my mother the tank had never been filled and
the fireplace never used. I'm not likely to ever try it. It's so very
1980's. Glass front folding doors and then a sliding mesh screen in
front of fake logs with fake embers under the grate. Nope, I won't be
using this thing.

I would use a wood burning fireplace, though. I like hearing the
crackle of the logs and feeling the warmth from the fire. Watching as
it slowly burns down. Stirring it and having flames come up again. And
then let it die down to embers. It's soothing.

I don't even mind sweeping out the ash and cleaning the hearth. As for
the maintenance, at that last apartment, they sent a chimney sweep out
every year to clean it. I suppose if I had a wood burning fireplace I'd
hire a sweep, too. Not something I have to worry about. As it is, it's
gas and therefore uninteresting.

I wouldn't enjoy *any* fireplace if it was the *only* source of heat in
the winter.

Jill
Old 12-01-2019, 05:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2019 10:18 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Oh yes, it's not dark at 4:00 way down south... yet. There will be a
slight daylight shift around here in early February. It will get dark a
little earlier here for a couple of weeks. It's weird, but that's the
way the world turns. Literally.

Yes, the heat of July (don't discount May, June and August!) might be a
tad uncomfy. You've got central air, though. It will be alright. And
in the Spring, hopefully it will be mild. You can have some of those
nice dinners on your new patio.

Jill