FoodBanter.com

-   -   Jackfruit? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/445564-jackfruit.html)

Michael Nielsen[_4_] 11-01-2019 08:41 PM

Jackfruit?

Hi,

Long time no see (again) :)

Davis Food Coop posted a strange picture of a rice bowl with something looking like a meat beef stew on top. Then when reading the text it turns out to be a fruit called jackfruit!

Did anyone try this? Is it savory? or still fruity sweet with a meaty texture?

jay[_352_] 11-01-2019 10:56 PM

Jackfruit?

On 1/11/19 1:41 PM, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Long time no see (again) :)
>
> Davis Food Coop posted a strange picture of a rice bowl with something looking like a meat beef stew on top. Then when reading the text it turns out to be a fruit called jackfruit!
>
> Did anyone try this? Is it savory? or still fruity sweet with a meaty texture?

Have not. Looked it up.. interesting and super nutritious. Thanks!

jay

Jeßus[_55_] 11-01-2019 11:23 PM

Jackfruit?

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 12:41:00 -0800 (PST), Michael Nielsen
> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Long time no see (again) :)
>
>Davis Food Coop posted a strange picture of a rice bowl with something looking like a meat beef stew on top. Then when reading the text it turns out to be a fruit called jackfruit!
>
>Did anyone try this? Is it savory? or still fruity sweet with a meaty texture?

Jackfruit isnt what I would describe as sweet, nor is it sour... So
we'll go instead with neutral. Texture is kinda 'meaty', I guess. It
is usually sold whole or in small portions to be eaten as-is.

dsi1[_2_] 11-01-2019 11:36 PM

Jackfruit?

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 10:41:04 AM UTC-10, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Long time no see (again) :)
>
> Davis Food Coop posted a strange picture of a rice bowl with something looking like a meat beef stew on top. Then when reading the text it turns out to be a fruit called jackfruit!
>
> Did anyone try this? Is it savory? or still fruity sweet with a meaty texture?

It kind of tastes papaya/bananaish. My guess is that it's going to be trending as a vegan substitute for meat.

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3f...r.jpg?w968h681

Sqwertz[_53_] 12-01-2019 02:23 AM

Jackfruit?

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 12:41:00 -0800 (PST), Michael Nielsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Long time no see (again) :)
>
> Davis Food Coop posted a strange picture of a rice bowl with
> something looking like a meat beef stew on top. Then when reading
> the text it turns out to be a fruit called jackfruit!
>
> Did anyone try this? Is it savory? or still fruity sweet with a
> meaty texture?

The jackfruit fad was 8 months ago. It lasted about 2 months on
social media. Even my regular grocery store tried carrying them,
but not many people want to invest in a 35 pound piece of fruit.

But it'll be back again in a couple years, just like it was 2 years
ago. Some vegetarians rave about it (once), which means it's not
that great. It tastes like a less sweet and milder JuicyFruit gum
to me.

-sw

Bruce[_28_] 12-01-2019 02:54 AM

Jackfruit?

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 20:23:01 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>The jackfruit fad was 8 months ago. It lasted about 2 months on
>social media. Even my regular grocery store tried carrying them,
>but not many people want to invest in a 35 pound piece of fruit.
>
>But it'll be back again in a couple years, just like it was 2 years
>ago. Some vegetarians rave about it (once), which means it's not
>that great. It tastes like a less sweet and milder JuicyFruit gum
>to me.

But compare the ingredients:

Jackfruit: 100% jackfruit

vs.

Juicy Fruit Gum: Sugar, Gum Base, Corn Syrup, Dextrose, Less than 2%
of: Natural and Artificial Flavors, Glycerol, Soy Lecithin, Aspartame,
Acesulfame K, Hydroxylated Soy Lecithin, Color (Yellow 5 Lake), BHT(to
Maintain Freshness).

"to Maintain Freshness" is a good one :)

jinx the minx 12-01-2019 01:22 PM

Jackfruit?

Michael Nielsen > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Long time no see (again) :)
>
> Davis Food Coop posted a strange picture of a rice bowl with something
> looking like a meat beef stew on top. Then when reading the text it turns
> out to be a fruit called jackfruit!
>
> Did anyone try this? Is it savory? or still fruity sweet with a meaty texture?

Ive never had it €śraw€ť, but its fabulous fried like a snack chip. Its
the only way Ive eaten it. I have a can of it in the cupboard that Im not
even sure where it came from. Probably the in-laws.

dsi1[_2_] 12-01-2019 05:48 PM

Jackfruit?

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 10:41:04 AM UTC-10, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Long time no see (again) :)
>
> Davis Food Coop posted a strange picture of a rice bowl with something looking like a meat beef stew on top. Then when reading the text it turns out to be a fruit called jackfruit!
>
> Did anyone try this? Is it savory? or still fruity sweet with a meaty texture?

Get yourself a can of jackfruit, or a can of halo-halo mix. The jackfruit will be contained within.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...FIB8yS8yZBmBHo