Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Blind taste test

Did Kerrygold butter vs Landolakes. Wife and I on mini bagles.
No diff by any taste. No name butter is 3 bucks per pound, Kerry is ten.
I am glad to try Kerry but the affair is over.
Is there a better butter than what we see?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/10/2019 3:21 PM, Thomas wrote:
> Did Kerrygold butter vs Landolakes. Wife and I on mini bagles.
> No diff by any taste. No name butter is 3 bucks per pound, Kerry is ten.
> I am glad to try Kerry but the affair is over.
> Is there a better butter than what we see?

Never met a bad butter, but some seem better. Texture to spread when
cold is a factor too.

I've been buying Amish Roll Butter recently. Comes wrapped in heavy
waxed paper and is a long roll that I have to cut to go in a butter
dish. One reason I like it is the creamy texture and spreadability.

Seems to me many brands of butter are exactly the same, just the outer
carton is different. Inside wraps have no name on them. I'm guessing
the same butter factory is churning it out for many brands, just changes
cartons.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 3:19:32 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Never met a bad butter, but some seem better. Texture to spread when
> cold is a factor too.
>
> I've been buying Amish Roll Butter recently. Comes wrapped in heavy
> waxed paper and is a long roll that I have to cut to go in a butter
> dish. One reason I like it is the creamy texture and spreadability.

There is/was some guy bringing in a LOT of Amish cooked goods from Ohio
to our local golly whopper once-a-month flea market. One of the items
he has/had was fresh churned butter. The samples he gave out were indeed
delicious but at $9 a pound I had to pass; mouth watering though!

> Seems to me many brands of butter are exactly the same, just the outer
> carton is different. Inside wraps have no name on them. I'm guessing
> the same butter factory is churning it out for many brands, just changes
> cartons.

I would not be surprised in the least to see Land-o-Lakes, Walmart, Kroger,
Aldi brand cartons in one of those processing plants.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 10:15:27 PM UTC-6, Nancy Young wrote:

> On 1/10/2019 10:34 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > That would not be my every day butter for everything, but, I'd buy it
> > once in a while for eating on bread.Â* Not for cooking.Â* Once in a whole
> > I'll pay a high price for a really good treat.

> Ditto, it would be a splurge but I'd have to get that once in a while.
> Just for where you'd notice it, on bread.
>
> Nancy

It truly was a moment to savor. I almost thought about getting back in line
and having another sample but thought better of it and moved on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2019 4:49 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 10 Jan 2019 09:15:21p, Nancy Young told us...

>> Ditto, it would be a splurge but I'd have to get that once in a
>> while. Just for where you'd notice it, on bread.

> I really like using European butter on good bread, when I make
> shortbread, and melted on spaghetti or fetuchini with a bit of fresh
> shaved garlic and fesh herbs.

I do get Kerrygold at Costco for the butter bell, I confess. I don't
go through a package too fast so it lasts a while. I never would
think to use it to bake but your fettuccine sounds delicious.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 10:21:27 AM UTC-10, Thomas wrote:
> Did Kerrygold butter vs Landolakes. Wife and I on mini bagles.
> No diff by any taste. No name butter is 3 bucks per pound, Kerry is ten.
> I am glad to try Kerry but the affair is over.
> Is there a better butter than what we see?

A lot of folks have an inflated sense of the sensitivity and ability in analyzing what their eating. Why is that? I don't know. It's the same way with guitar players and audiophiles. They think they can hear the gauge of wire that their signals are traveling through their pickups or speaker cables.

https://gizmodo.com/dont-buy-what-ne...ing-1678446860

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 3:00:54 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 10:21:27 AM UTC-10, Thomas wrote:
> > Did Kerrygold butter vs Landolakes. Wife and I on mini bagles.
> > No diff by any taste. No name butter is 3 bucks per pound, Kerry is ten..
> > I am glad to try Kerry but the affair is over.
> > Is there a better butter than what we see?

> A lot of folks have an inflated sense of the sensitivity and ability in analyzing what their eating. Why is that? I don't know. It's the same way with guitar players and audiophiles. They think they can hear the gauge of wire that their signals are traveling through their pickups or speaker cables..
>
> https://gizmodo.com/dont-buy-what-ne...ing-1678446860

There is a good deal of variation in sensory apparatus. Some people
can detect quite a bit of nuance; other people cannot. Some people's
taste buds are extra-sensitive to certain flavors (notably cilantro);
others' are not.

Anything you think you know about how something tastes is unique to you,
and cannot be extrapolated to anyone else.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 10:19:19 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 3:00:54 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 10:21:27 AM UTC-10, Thomas wrote:
> > > Did Kerrygold butter vs Landolakes. Wife and I on mini bagles.
> > > No diff by any taste. No name butter is 3 bucks per pound, Kerry is ten.
> > > I am glad to try Kerry but the affair is over.
> > > Is there a better butter than what we see?

> > A lot of folks have an inflated sense of the sensitivity and ability in analyzing what their eating. Why is that? I don't know. It's the same way with guitar players and audiophiles. They think they can hear the gauge of wire that their signals are traveling through their pickups or speaker cables.
> >
> > https://gizmodo.com/dont-buy-what-ne...ing-1678446860

> There is a good deal of variation in sensory apparatus. Some people
> can detect quite a bit of nuance; other people cannot. Some people's
> taste buds are extra-sensitive to certain flavors (notably cilantro);
> others' are not.
>
> Anything you think you know about how something tastes is unique to you,
> and cannot be extrapolated to anyone else.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

My guess is that most people already know this.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 9:21:27 PM UTC+1, Thomas wrote:
> Did Kerrygold butter vs Landolakes. Wife and I on mini bagles.
> No diff by any taste. No name butter is 3 bucks per pound, Kerry is ten.
> I am glad to try Kerry but the affair is over.
> Is there a better butter than what we see?

In Denmark the things to look for a

- is the milk from Denmark or german cows? the cheapest butter is from german milk
- is it conventional or organic? if one doesnt care about organic, organic is often linked to it being made in a more traditional manner which in turn makes it better
- is it unsalted or salted? if saltd, is it "special" salt? butter with special salt is more salted and thus not for baking, but really nice for a charcuterie plate.
- is it "oldfashioned churned" , then the flavour is more pronounced ( often this is linked to being organic

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-11 1:19 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 3:00:54 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 10:21:27 AM UTC-10, Thomas wrote:
>>> Did Kerrygold butter vs Landolakes. Wife and I on mini bagles.
>>> No diff by any taste. No name butter is 3 bucks per pound, Kerry is ten.
>>> I am glad to try Kerry but the affair is over.
>>> Is there a better butter than what we see?

>> A lot of folks have an inflated sense of the sensitivity and ability in analyzing what their eating. Why is that? I don't know. It's the same way with guitar players and audiophiles. They think they can hear the gauge of wire that their signals are traveling through their pickups or speaker cables.
>>
>> https://gizmodo.com/dont-buy-what-ne...ing-1678446860

> There is a good deal of variation in sensory apparatus. Some people
> can detect quite a bit of nuance; other people cannot. Some people's
> taste buds are extra-sensitive to certain flavors (notably cilantro);
> others' are not.
>
> Anything you think you know about how something tastes is unique to you,
> and cannot be extrapolated to anyone else.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

This certainly applies to wine! I've read too many descriptions from
pompous palates that claim to detect flavours of, say, black raspberry
along with a veritable fruit salad of flavours.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 4:27:26 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:
> On 2019-01-11 1:19 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >>
> >> A lot of folks have an inflated sense of the sensitivity and ability in analyzing what their eating. Why is that? I don't know. It's the same way with guitar players and audiophiles. They think they can hear the gauge of wire that their signals are traveling through their pickups or speaker cables.
> >>
> >> https://gizmodo.com/dont-buy-what-ne...ing-1678446860

> > There is a good deal of variation in sensory apparatus. Some people
> > can detect quite a bit of nuance; other people cannot. Some people's
> > taste buds are extra-sensitive to certain flavors (notably cilantro);
> > others' are not.
> >
> > Anything you think you know about how something tastes is unique to you,
> > and cannot be extrapolated to anyone else.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> This certainly applies to wine! I've read too many descriptions from
> pompous palates that claim to detect flavours of, say, black raspberry
> along with a veritable fruit salad of flavours.

I can taste notes of cherry or berry in the coffee that we prefer. Provided
that I don't brew it too weak or too strong.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Nielsen wrote:
> On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 9:21:27 PM UTC+1, Thomas wrote:
>> Did Kerrygold butter vs Landolakes. Wife and I on mini bagles.
>> No diff by any taste. No name butter is 3 bucks per pound, Kerry is ten.
>> I am glad to try Kerry but the affair is over.
>> Is there a better butter than what we see?

> In Denmark the things to look for a
>
> - is the milk from Denmark or german cows? the cheapest butter is from german milk
> - is it conventional or organic? if one doesnt care about organic, organic is often linked to it being made in a more traditional manner which in turn makes it better
> - is it unsalted or salted? if saltd, is it "special" salt? butter with special salt is more salted and thus not for baking, but really nice for a charcuterie plate.
> - is it "oldfashioned churned" , then the flavour is more pronounced ( often this is linked to being organic

Indeed, I only buy special salted, organic, old-fashioned churned butter
from free range cows that do not speak german.

Those damn Italian cows are the worst.

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
> On 2019-01-11 1:19 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> A lot of folks have an inflated sense of the sensitivity and ability
>>> in analyzing what their eating. Why is that? I don't know. It's the
>>> same way with guitar players and audiophiles. They think they can
>>> hear the gauge of wire that their signals are traveling through their
>>> pickups or speaker cables.
>>>
>>> https://gizmodo.com/dont-buy-what-ne...ing-1678446860

>> There is a good deal of variation in sensory apparatus. Some people
>> can detect quite a bit of nuance; other people cannot. Some people's
>> taste buds are extra-sensitive to certain flavors (notably cilantro);
>> others' are not.
>>
>> Anything you think you know about how something tastes is unique to you,
>> and cannot be extrapolated to anyone else.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> This certainly applies to wine! I've read too many descriptions from
> pompous palates that claim to detect flavours of, say, black raspberry
> along with a veritable fruit salad of flavours.

Ha ha ha. You forgot to mention about a hundred types of leather, wood,
charcoal, etc.

It all tastes like grape wine ... some good, some bad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-11 4:40 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 4:27:26 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:

>>> Anything you think you know about how something tastes is unique to you,
>>> and cannot be extrapolated to anyone else.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> This certainly applies to wine! I've read too many descriptions from
>> pompous palates that claim to detect flavours of, say, black raspberry
>> along with a veritable fruit salad of flavours.

> I can taste notes of cherry or berry in the coffee that we prefer. Provided
> that I don't brew it too weak or too strong.

Some of them can string a pretty good line, but there are people with
sophisticated palates that can actually sense those tastes, and panels
of people who can come up with the independently. Then there are those
who go to wine tastings and the tour guide will tell them what they
should be tasting and the saps with swallow it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 12:06:23 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> This certainly applies to wine! I've read too many descriptions from
> >> pompous palates that claim to detect flavours of, say, black raspberry
> >> along with a veritable fruit salad of flavours.

> > I can taste notes of cherry or berry in the coffee that we prefer. Provided
> > that I don't brew it too weak or too strong.

> Some of them can string a pretty good line, but there are people with
> sophisticated palates that can actually sense those tastes, and panels
> of people who can come up with the independently. Then there are those
> who go to wine tastings and the tour guide will tell them what they
> should be tasting and the saps with swallow it.

If you can taste the difference between sliced up coffee beans vs ground coffee beans, I'd like to shake your hands! Anybody that has half a brain and has brewed a cup or two will know that what's important when making coffee is the amount of coffee you use and the freshness of the beans.

I suppose water plays a part too - but it shouldn't. I had some coffee in a big restaurant in FL and they used the tap water to brew the coffee. I took a sip and then spit it out. Their water had the odor of decaying organic material. It was hard to take a shower in that stinkin' water. As it goes, I had no choice. All I can say is "now I know."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2019 3:57 PM, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 9:21:27 PM UTC+1, Thomas wrote:
>> Did Kerrygold butter vs Landolakes. Wife and I on mini bagles.
>> No diff by any taste. No name butter is 3 bucks per pound, Kerry is ten.
>> I am glad to try Kerry but the affair is over.
>> Is there a better butter than what we see?

> In Denmark the things to look for a
>
> - is the milk from Denmark or german cows? the cheapest butter is from german milk
> - is it conventional or organic? if one doesnt care about organic, organic is often linked to it being made in a more traditional manner which in turn makes it better
> - is it unsalted or salted? if saltd, is it "special" salt? butter with special salt is more salted and thus not for baking, but really nice for a charcuterie plate.
> - is it "oldfashioned churned" , then the flavour is more pronounced ( often this is linked to being organic

I'm sure you know Kerrygold is imported Irish butter and Land O' Lakes
is made in the US. Observations about Danish butter production is
rather irrelevant.

IMHO, the difference in taste between Land O' Lakes and Kerrygold is the
amount of butterfat. If Thomas can't taste the difference then I
suggest he stick with what he prefers rather than pay more for a name.

I like Kerrygold. I love it on toasted sourdough bread. But I also buy
store brand butter. Compared to Land O' Lakes, it's exactly the same
thing except it usually costs less. Unless Land O' Lakes goes on sale.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2019 9:58 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 1/11/2019 4:49 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Thu 10 Jan 2019 09:15:21p, Nancy Young told us...

>>> Ditto, it would be a splurge but I'd have to get that once in a
>>> while. Just for where you'd notice it, on bread.

>> I really like using European butter on good bread, when I make
>> shortbread, and melted on spaghetti or fetuchini with a bit of fresh
>> shaved garlic and fesh herbs.

> I do get Kerrygold at Costco for the butter bell, I confess.Â* I don't
> go through a package too fast so it lasts a while.Â* I never would
> think to use it to bake but your fettuccine sounds delicious.
>
> nancy

The butter tossed with fettucini (or spaghetti or angel hair, my
favorite) sounds quite tasty. I'd likely add a dash of olive oil and a
dash of red pepper flakes to the seasoning along with the garlic and
herbs. I'd also sprinkle the finished pasta with freshly grated
parmesan.

Thing is, for tossing with pasta, it's not really necessary to spend
$10-12 for the butter. JMHO, of course.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 1/11/2019 3:57 PM, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> > On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 9:21:27 PM UTC+1, Thomas wrote:
> > > Did Kerrygold butter vs Landolakes. Wife and I on mini bagles.
> > > No diff by any taste. No name butter is 3 bucks per pound, Kerry
> > > is ten. I am glad to try Kerry but the affair is over.
> > > Is there a better butter than what we see?

> > In Denmark the things to look for a
> >
> > - is the milk from Denmark or german cows? the cheapest butter is
> > from german milk - is it conventional or organic? if one doesnt
> > care about organic, organic is often linked to it being made in a
> > more traditional manner which in turn makes it better - is it
> > unsalted or salted? if saltd, is it "special" salt? butter with
> > special salt is more salted and thus not for baking, but really
> > nice for a charcuterie plate. - is it "oldfashioned churned" ,
> > then the flavour is more pronounced ( often this is linked to being
> > organic

> I'm sure you know Kerrygold is imported Irish butter and Land O'
> Lakes is made in the US. Observations about Danish butter production
> is rather irrelevant.
>
> IMHO, the difference in taste between Land O' Lakes and Kerrygold is
> the amount of butterfat. If Thomas can't taste the difference then I
> suggest he stick with what he prefers rather than pay more for a name.
>
> I like Kerrygold. I love it on toasted sourdough bread. But I also
> buy store brand butter. Compared to Land O' Lakes, it's exactly the
> same thing except it usually costs less. Unless Land O' Lakes goes
> on sale.
>
> Jill

I note no diffeence either in LOL and store brand butter. If there was
one once, then LOL has dummied down to remove it.