Old 10-01-2019, 09:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cube Steak Redux

Cube steak and chicken fried steak are ubiquitous in my area. The
latest thread made me buy some.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfge28vaxvslr2j/CubeSteak.jpg?dl=0
At $5.98 per pound, it's still expensive for a tough, macerated piece
of meat. But then, Raley's meat ain't cheap.

leo

Old 10-01-2019, 09:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gravy, shrooms...looks like a good time. Cost never matters for a good time.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 12:04:23 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

Cube steak and chicken fried steak are ubiquitous in my area. The
latest thread made me buy some.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfge28vaxvslr2j/CubeSteak.jpg?dl=0
At $5.98 per pound, it's still expensive for a tough, macerated piece
of meat. But then, Raley's meat ain't cheap.

It's $6/lb here, too. And that's USDA Select. Every time a piece
of beef is cut into smaller pieces it raises the price $1/lb. Run
it through a cuber? That'll be ANOTHER $1/lb. Regular, uncut,
uncubed eye of round is only $4/lb.

-ssw
Old 11-01-2019, 06:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

****en Thomas killin it as usual

Old 11-01-2019, 07:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 17:43:37 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:

writes:
Gravy, shrooms...looks like a good time. Cost never matters for a good time.

****en Thomas killin it as usual

You two just love strokin each other, eh?

-sw

Old 13-01-2019, 02:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/10/2019 10:13 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 12:04:23 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

Cube steak and chicken fried steak are ubiquitous in my area. The
latest thread made me buy some.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfge28vaxvslr2j/CubeSteak.jpg?dl=0
At $5.98 per pound, it's still expensive for a tough, macerated piece
of meat. But then, Raley's meat ain't cheap.

It's $6/lb here, too. And that's USDA Select. Every time a piece
of beef is cut into smaller pieces it raises the price $1/lb. Run
it through a cuber? That'll be ANOTHER $1/lb. Regular, uncut,
uncubed eye of round is only $4/lb.

-ssw

At Publix they call the beef cube steak "premium" (a marketing tool) but
it's Choice graded:

http://www.publix.com/pd/beef-cubed-...RIO-PCI-119342

They won't/don't show the price. I'm betting it's more than $6/lb. It
was around $9/lb the last time I priced it in the store. Even at $6/lb
I'd say it's ridiculously over priced. It's a cut so tough they have to
run it through the machine several times to macerate it, yet people are
willing to pay *more* for it? Go figure.

I'll buy the less expensive round steak (still costs too much, IMHO) and
beat the crap out of it with a meat mallet. Then cut it into pieces,
season, flour and fry the meat. Proceed with whatever recipe/finishing
method from there.

Jill

Jill
Old 13-01-2019, 02:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 7:16:38 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:

I'll buy the less expensive round steak (still costs too much, IMHO) and
beat the crap out of it with a meat mallet. Then cut it into pieces,
season, flour and fry the meat. Proceed with whatever recipe/finishing
method from there.

Jill

I haven't seen a round steak in the stores in several years. I'm guessing
around here they don't make it to the meat case until they've been cubed and the price has been significantly jacked up.

The first 3 or 4 times I made country fried steak that has been simmered about
an hour in the gravy, I used a round steak. I pounded it into oblivion and of
course that steak got larger and larger and larger. Hahahaaa, but it was VERY
tender once it was plated.

Old 13-01-2019, 11:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

http://www.publix.com/pd/beef-cubed-...RIO-PCI-119342

They won't/don't show the price. I'm betting it's more than $6/lb. It
was around $9/lb the last time I priced it in the store. Even at $6/lb
I'd say it's ridiculously over priced. It's a cut so tough they have to
run it through the machine several times to macerate it, yet people are
willing to pay *more* for it? Go figure.

I'll buy the less expensive round steak (still costs too much, IMHO) and
beat the crap out of it with a meat mallet. Then cut it into pieces,
season, flour and fry the meat. Proceed with whatever recipe/finishing
method from there.

Jill

---

What does the machine actually do? Is it like needles?

Old 13-01-2019, 04:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 12 Jan 2019 06:16:32p, jmcquown told us...

On 1/10/2019 10:13 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 12:04:23 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

Cube steak and chicken fried steak are ubiquitous in my area.
The latest thread made me buy some.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfge28vaxvslr2j/CubeSteak.jpg?dl=0
At $5.98 per pound, it's still expensive for a tough, macerated
piece of meat. But then, Raley's meat ain't cheap.

It's $6/lb here, too. And that's USDA Select. Every time a
piece of beef is cut into smaller pieces it raises the price
$1/lb. Run it through a cuber? That'll be ANOTHER $1/lb.
Regular, uncut, uncubed eye of round is only $4/lb.

-ssw

At Publix they call the beef cube steak "premium" (a marketing
tool) but it's Choice graded:

http://www.publix.com/pd/beef-cubed-...ium-usda-choic
e-beef/RIO-PCI-119342

They won't/don't show the price. I'm betting it's more than
$6/lb. It was around $9/lb the last time I priced it in the
store. Even at $6/lb I'd say it's ridiculously over priced. It's
a cut so tough they have to run it through the machine several
times to macerate it, yet people are willing to pay *more* for it?
Go figure.

I'll buy the less expensive round steak (still costs too much,
IMHO) and beat the crap out of it with a meat mallet. Then cut it
into pieces, season, flour and fry the meat. Proceed with
whatever recipe/finishing method from there.

Jill

If I don't buy cube steak (which is usually cheaper here), I buy a
bottom round and have the butcher run it through the machne several
times. They don't charge to do this and it saves me the effort of
beating it.

I should do that, Wayne. I never think to ask them to run it through
the cubing machine. Then again, when I'm shopping my goal is to get
what I need and get the heck out of there as quickly as possible.

Jill

Old 13-01-2019, 04:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2019 5:12 AM, Ophelia wrote:

"jmcquown"* wrote in message ...

http://www.publix.com/pd/beef-cubed-...RIO-PCI-119342

I'll buy the less expensive round steak (still costs too much, IMHO) and
beat the crap out of it with a meat mallet.* Then cut it into pieces,
season, flour and fry the meat.* Proceed with whatever recipe/finishing
method from there.

Jill

---

What does the machine actually do?* Is it like needles?

I've never seen the actual machine they use behind the meat counter.
Based on the appearance of cube steak, it sort of punches holes in the
meat as well as flattening it out to tenderize tough cuts. Have you
never used a meat mallet? I have one with metal on one end that looks
like little triangles. It gives a similar tenderizing affect as the
machine.

https://i.postimg.cc/QCJ2rd4X/mallet.jpg

I place the meat between two sheets of waxed paper and have at it!

Jill
Old 13-01-2019, 04:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

[...]

==

Thanks I have one of these, but never really used it:

https://thebbqshop.co.uk/55204-napol...BoCb-wQAvD_BwE

Old 13-01-2019, 06:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 10:09:12 -0500, jmcquown

[...]

Not to worry, unless the cubing machine is being used at the moment
the butcher is not going to dirty a cleaned machine for your one piece
of meat. If you want cubed meat you can buy a jacquard for a few
bucks and cube it yourself at home. What I do is use two large forks,
one in each hand to poke lots of holes, in both sides... I do that to
make London broil... pounding breaks the muscle cells and the meat
will be dry and tough when cooked.... when a cook wants thin meat they
slice thin cutlets, a real cook would never hammer a piece of meat.
My method with two forks requires some strength... this what you need,
works on any meat:
https://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-20034...eat+tenderizer

Old 13-01-2019, 07:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown"* wrote in message ...

http://www.publix.com/pd/beef-cubed-...RIO-PCI-119342

I'll buy the less expensive round steak (still costs too much, IMHO) and
beat the crap out of it with a meat mallet.* Then cut it into pieces,
season, flour and fry the meat.* Proceed with whatever recipe/finishing
method from there.

Jill

---

What does the machine actually do?* Is it like needles?

A cubing machine slices narrow slits through the meat

I've never seen the actual machine they use behind the meat counter.

All the more reason not to let them cube a piece of meat you've
chosen, easy to switch to another lesser quality piece, you'll never
know. Buying cube steak is a lot like buying preground mystery
meat... best to cube it yourself with a Jacquard.
https://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-20034...eat+tenderizer

Based on the appearance of cube steak, it sort of punches holes in the
meat as well as flattening it out to tenderize tough cuts. Have you
never used a meat mallet? I have one with metal on one end that looks
like little triangles. It gives a similar tenderizing affect as the
machine.

https://i.postimg.cc/QCJ2rd4X/mallet.jpg

I place the meat between two sheets of waxed paper and have at it!

Jill

You ruin the meat.
Old 13-01-2019, 07:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown"* wrote in message ...

[...]

I've never seen one of those before. Perhaps you don't buy tough cuts
of meat. I try not to. But I use the jaccard type meat mallet for
tough cuts. That and a long slow simmer.

Jill