Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Time in the kitchen today...

> This morning started out with David wanting me to bake a batch of
> chocolate chip cookies. Rather than using the chocolate morsels, I
> used shards of bitersweet chocolate and shards of white
> chocolate.He's well supplied now, as I made a double batch.
>
> I like chocolate chip cookies, but they're not my favoarite, so
> decided to bake a beautiful pan of Scottish shortbread (so easy,
> especially when you're not plopping down unteen individual cookies.
> :-)

The shortbread sounds good. I could enjoy that wit a cup of tea.

Cooking ahead is smart too. Some days you don't have the time, energy,
or both and it it easy to pop something in the MW or oven and have a
decent meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-07 11:01 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/7/2019 8:56 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> This morning started out with David wanting me to bake a batch of
>> chocolate chip cookies.Â* Rather than using the chocolate morsels, I
>> used shards of bitersweet chocolate and shards of white
>> chocolate.He's well supplied now, as I made a double batch.
>>
>> I like chocolate chip cookies, but they're not my favoarite, so
>> decided to bake a beautiful pan of Scottish shortbread (so easy,
>> especially when you're not plopping down unteen individual cookies.
>> :-)
>>

> The shortbread sounds good.Â* I could enjoy that wit a cup of tea.
>
> Cooking ahead is smart too.Â* Some days you don't have the time, energy,
> or both and it it easy to pop something in the MW or oven and have a
> decent meal.

Just wondering..... does Scottish shortbread need to sit for a few days
to develop flavour like regular shortbread does?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-08 12:04 a.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 07 Jan 2019 09:09:56p, Dave Smith told us...

>>> The shortbread sounds good.ÂÂ* I could enjoy that wit a cup of
>>> tea.
>>>
>>> Cooking ahead is smart too.ÂÂ* Some days you don't have the time,
>>> energy, or both and it it easy to pop something in the MW or oven
>>> and have a decent meal.
>>>

>> Just wondering..... does Scottish shortbread need to sit for a few
>> days to develop flavour like regular shortbread does?

> I never knew that any shorbread had to be "aged". It tastes the same
> to me the same day I make it as it does 3-4 days later. It never
> last as long as a week.

The first time I made shortbread using my mother's recipe I told her
that I was disappointed with the results. She said it has to age at
least a few days before eating. Sure enough, I let it sit for a few days
and it was much better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 07 Jan 2019 09:01:24p, Ed Pawlowski told us...
>> On 1/7/2019 8:56 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> This morning started out with David wanting me to bake a batch of
>>> chocolate chip cookies. Rather than using the chocolate morsels,
>>> I used shards of bitersweet chocolate and shards of white
>>> chocolate.He's well supplied now, as I made a double batch.
>>>
>>> I like chocolate chip cookies, but they're not my favoarite, so
>>> decided to bake a beautiful pan of Scottish shortbread (so easy,
>>> especially when you're not plopping down unteen individual
>>> cookies.
>>> :-)
>>>

>> The shortbread sounds good. I could enjoy that wit a cup of tea.

> Yes, it's very good tea. That's probably the only time I drink hot
> tea. :-)
>
>> Cooking ahead is smart too. Some days you don't have the time,
>> energy, or both and it it easy to pop something in the MW or oven
>> and have a decent meal.
>>

> All true.

a normal cookie day here is 500+ (Mom doesn't mess
around).

if you need something which plops cookies easily
there are various sized scoups which work very well
(then she smushes 'em with a small cup to get them
flatter - putting a piece of parchment paper over
them when she smushes).

the only thing that really holds her up for making
a lot more is that we only have one oven and it isn't
that big. no plans to change anything though, we
don't really need that many cookies.

her shortbread cookies are very good to me, can
also be adapted. there is cornstarch in them which i
found unusual at first, but it works well. can add
various flavorings easily enough if plain/vanilla
isn't good enough or you like variety.

i can eat too many of any cookie i've ever met.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 10:56:08 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-01-08 12:04 a.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Just wondering..... does Scottish shortbread need to sit for a few
>>> days to develop flavour like regular shortbread does?

>> I never knew that any shorbread had to be "aged". It tastes the same
>> to me the same day I make it as it does 3-4 days later. It never
>> last as long as a week.

>The first time I made shortbread using my mother's recipe I told her
>that I was disappointed with the results. She said it has to age at
>least a few days before eating. Sure enough, I let it sit for a few days
>and it was much better.

To me shortbread is flavorless and I don't like its texture...
actually it has no texture... may as well eat play-dough
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 10:57:53 -0500, songbird >
wrote:

>Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> The shortbread sounds good. I could enjoy that wit a cup of tea.

>> Yes, it's very good tea. That's probably the only time I drink hot
>> tea. :-)
>>
>>> Cooking ahead is smart too. Some days you don't have the time,
>>> energy, or both and it it easy to pop something in the MW or oven
>>> and have a decent meal.
>>>

>> All true.

> a normal cookie day here is 500+ (Mom doesn't mess
>around).
>
> if you need something which plops cookies easily
>there are various sized scoups which work very well
>(then she smushes 'em with a small cup to get them
>flatter - putting a piece of parchment paper over
>them when she smushes).
>
> the only thing that really holds her up for making
>a lot more is that we only have one oven and it isn't
>that big. no plans to change anything though, we
>don't really need that many cookies.

If you baked 500 every day you'd weigh 500 pounds. LOL

> her shortbread cookies are very good to me, can
>also be adapted. there is cornstarch in them which i
>found unusual at first, but it works well. can add
>various flavorings easily enough if plain/vanilla
>isn't good enough or you like variety.
>
> i can eat too many of any cookie i've ever met.
>

> songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2019 11:01 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/7/2019 8:56 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> This morning started out with David wanting me to bake a batch of
>> chocolate chip cookies.Â* Rather than using the chocolate morsels, I
>> used shards of bitersweet chocolate and shards of white
>> chocolate.He's well supplied now, as I made a double batch.
>>
>> I like chocolate chip cookies, but they're not my favoarite, so
>> decided to bake a beautiful pan of Scottish shortbread (so easy,
>> especially when you're not plopping down unteen individual cookies.
>> :-)
>>

> The shortbread sounds good.Â* I could enjoy that wit a cup of tea.
>
> Cooking ahead is smart too.Â* Some days you don't have the time, energy,
> or both and it it easy to pop something in the MW or oven and have a
> decent meal.

That's why I love my freezer! I nearly always have some homemade meals
in the freezer ready to defrost and heat up. I have freezer
containers that are divided into three compartments (meat and two veggies).

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 14:18:58 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 1/7/2019 11:01 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> The shortbread sounds good.* I could enjoy that wit a cup of tea.
>>
>> Cooking ahead is smart too.* Some days you don't have the time, energy,
>> or both and it it easy to pop something in the MW or oven and have a
>> decent meal.
>>

>That's why I love my freezer! I nearly always have some homemade meals
>in the freezer ready to defrost and heat up. I have freezer
>containers that are divided into three compartments (meat and two veggies).

Not one, not three, two! You're such a Pioneer of the Palate!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2019 10:57 AM, songbird wrote:
> if you need something which plops cookies easily
> there are various sized scoups which work very well
> (then she smushes 'em with a small cup to get them
> flatter - putting a piece of parchment paper over
> them when she smushes).

A standard ice cream scoop works well for portioning out cookie dough.
I've never found the need to smush them. The dough flattens and spreads
by itself during the baking process. YMMV, of course. It likely
depends on the type of cookies. I've only ever made chocolate
chip/chocolate chunk, peanut butter and oatmeal cookies. Bar-type
treats are a completely different thing. Roll a glass over the dough to
smooth them out in the baking pan.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 11:55:08 -0500, songbird >

>> On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 10:57:53 -0500, songbird >
>> wrote:

>>> a normal cookie day here is 500+ (Mom doesn't mess
>>>around).
>>>
>>> if you need something which plops cookies easily
>>>there are various sized scoups which work very well
>>>(then she smushes 'em with a small cup to get them
>>>flatter - putting a piece of parchment paper over
>>>them when she smushes).
>>>
>>> the only thing that really holds her up for making
>>>a lot more is that we only have one oven and it isn't
>>>that big. no plans to change anything though, we
>>>don't really need that many cookies.

>> If you baked 500 every day you'd weigh 500 pounds. LOL

> luckily we don't do that every day and i
>don't always eat them when she makes them.
>
> my goal for this year is to stop eating
>raw cookie dough. it's my kryptonite/weakness,
>i hardly ever get sick from eating it, but
>i'm trying to eat less sugar in general and
>it is the next large number of extra calories
>i can get rid of by changing one bad habit.
>
> during the winter i keep my calorie intake
>about 1200-1500 calories a day. i can't have
>many cookies and stay within that range.
>
> songbird

How anyone can eat raw cookie dough is beyond me... we like our baked
goods well done, what we call "high brown".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 11:55:08 -0500, songbird >

>>> If you baked 500 every day you'd weigh 500 pounds. LOL

>> luckily we don't do that every day and i
>> don't always eat them when she makes them.
>>
>> my goal for this year is to stop eating
>> raw cookie dough. it's my kryptonite/weakness,
>> i hardly ever get sick from eating it, but
>> i'm trying to eat less sugar in general and
>> it is the next large number of extra calories
>> i can get rid of by changing one bad habit.
>>
>> during the winter i keep my calorie intake
>> about 1200-1500 calories a day. i can't have
>> many cookies and stay within that range.
>>
>> songbird

> How anyone can eat raw cookie dough is beyond me... we like our baked
> goods well done, what we call "high brown".

Popeye, Pull yoose finger out and smell it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> 500 cookies? Wow! I have 3 different sizes of scoops, so it's not a
> difficult job, I just find baking pan after pan of cookies utterly
> boring. I don't mind making numerous batches of cookie dough, but I
> hate the baking part. When I can talk David into doing the scooping,
> then we get more cookies. :-)

er, well, yeah, that's why i don't bake myself
that often. when i make cookies for myself i
usually stop at a sheet or two (and i usually
make black walnut cookies because Mom doesn't
ever make them herself).

> I've never actually made sortbread
> cookies. I bake my shortbread in a Scottish shortbread mold. I
> usually end up making several batches with the mold.

that would slow things down to have to deal
with being that specific. i'm sure a bigger
production line would have a stamping machine
of some kind.

the good thing about using a scoop of any
size is that it enforces a decent amount of
uniformity on shape and quantity all in one
go. smush 'em down to about the same thickness
and you're usually good for a decent result
with a timer either set at halfway or close
so you can rotate sheets if your oven isn't
good enough to keep a uniform temperature.

if i'm being picky i do only one pan at a
time. but again, it is rare i'm doing the
baking anyways. i do quality control and
cleanup most of the time. last week i had
to deal with a broken glass bowl full of
butter all over the wood floor. stuff
happens... no blood drawn and not a single
burnt cookie.

using a bright beam of light across the
floor (horizontal to it) will usually show
what you've missed.

going over it all with three separate
cleanings with wet towels is a good start but
it seems there are always a few shards here
or there that get missed and redistributed
later makes them a hazard.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> A standard ice cream scoop works well for portioning out cookie dough.

some scoops do not have the wire release/scraper
thingy in them... you want one that does.

> I've never found the need to smush them. The dough flattens and spreads
> by itself during the baking process. YMMV, of course. It likely
> depends on the type of cookies.

yes. of course.

> I've only ever made chocolate
> chip/chocolate chunk, peanut butter and oatmeal cookies. Bar-type
> treats are a completely different thing. Roll a glass over the dough to
> smooth them out in the baking pan.

rolling takes way too long when you're doing a lot
of them. if you put the sheet of parchment paper over
them you can bang them out quick and you get a feel
for how much pressure you need.

none of this is hugely scientific, but i'm sure it
could be made so if you wanted to develop a production
line approach. as there are plenty of mass market
cookie bakeries already...

as it goes, i think a single person with a big enough
oven and enough counter space can turn out a few
thousand cookies a day. the biggest hold ups here are
the baking and cooling times.

and not much baking happens in the summer when it
gets too hot out (besides we're more likely to be out
in the gardens ).

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, penmart01
@aol.com says...

> On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 11:55:08 -0500, songbird >

> >> If you baked 500 every day you'd weigh 500 pounds. LOL

> > luckily we don't do that every day and i
> >don't always eat them when she makes them.
> >
> > my goal for this year is to stop eating
> >raw cookie dough. it's my kryptonite/weakness,
> >i hardly ever get sick from eating it, but
> >i'm trying to eat less sugar in general and
> >it is the next large number of extra calories
> >i can get rid of by changing one bad habit.
> >
> > during the winter i keep my calorie intake
> >about 1200-1500 calories a day. i can't have
> >many cookies and stay within that range.
> >
> > songbird

> How anyone can eat raw cookie dough is beyond me... we like our baked
> goods well done, what we call "high brown".

Next you'll be telling us you don't lick out the cake mixing bowl.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> I've just kinda chalked it up the grass-fed butter they probably
> use. But I've used imported european/english/danish butter and it
> doesn't have that taste.

might also be the fact that local butter or
cookies may not have salt/preservatives/additives
in them and so they may not keep well but also
the other point, being a local preference.

another curious aspect may be that the milkfat
or butter is goat or sheep instead of cow?

i know i have had fresh whole milk yogurt from
a farm that still smelled of the cow and farm in
a way that i had not experienced before and i
really liked that. mass market yogurt never has
had that quality.

and then there is the goat's milk cheeses and
such that are a world unto themselves.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 8:40:15 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 11:55:08 -0500, songbird >

> >> If you baked 500 every day you'd weigh 500 pounds. LOL

> > luckily we don't do that every day and i
> >don't always eat them when she makes them.
> >
> > my goal for this year is to stop eating
> >raw cookie dough. it's my kryptonite/weakness,
> >i hardly ever get sick from eating it, but
> >i'm trying to eat less sugar in general and
> >it is the next large number of extra calories
> >i can get rid of by changing one bad habit.
> >
> > during the winter i keep my calorie intake
> >about 1200-1500 calories a day. i can't have
> >many cookies and stay within that range.
> >
> > songbird

> How anyone can eat raw cookie dough is beyond me... we like our baked
> goods well done, what we call "high brown".

How you can be so lacking in imagination and empathy is beyond me. We
like our baked goods (brownies and chocolate chip cookies are really
all we bake) soft and underbaked.

Consider the popularity of cookie dough ice cream. There even are
snacks in the dairy case that appear to consist of cookie dough in
small tubs.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 06:28:43 -0500, songbird wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>> I've just kinda chalked it up the grass-fed butter they probably
>> use. But I've used imported european/english/danish butter and it
>> doesn't have that taste.

> might also be the fact that local butter or
> cookies may not have salt/preservatives/additives
> in them and so they may not keep well but also
> the other point, being a local preference.
>
> another curious aspect may be that the milkfat
> or butter is goat or sheep instead of cow?
>
> i know i have had fresh whole milk yogurt from
> a farm that still smelled of the cow and farm in
> a way that i had not experienced before and i
> really liked that. mass market yogurt never has
> had that quality.
>
> and then there is the goat's milk cheeses and
> such that are a world unto themselves.

It looks like my last batch was a 4-pound tin from Denmark

https://i.postimg.cc/2yzRWth9/Danish-Butter-Cookies.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/

Wether Danish or Scottish, they both have that slight gamey/rancid
taste even though they're well within date.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 11:28:30 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >, penmart01
says...

>> On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 11:55:08 -0500, songbird >
>> wrote:

>> > luckily we don't do that every day and i
>> >don't always eat them when she makes them.
>> >
>> > my goal for this year is to stop eating
>> >raw cookie dough. it's my kryptonite/weakness,
>> >i hardly ever get sick from eating it, but
>> >i'm trying to eat less sugar in general and
>> >it is the next large number of extra calories
>> >i can get rid of by changing one bad habit.
>> >
>> > during the winter i keep my calorie intake
>> >about 1200-1500 calories a day. i can't have
>> >many cookies and stay within that range.
>> >
>> > songbird

>> How anyone can eat raw cookie dough is beyond me... we like our baked
>> goods well done, what we call "high brown".

> Next you'll be telling us you don't lick out the cake mixing bowl.
>
> Janet UK

What, you haven't modernized... with these sillycone spatulas there's
not a drop left in the bowl or on the spatula:
https://www.amazon.com/Nonstick-Resi...=spatula+pyrex

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> How anyone can eat raw cookie dough is beyond me... we like our baked
>>> goods well done, what we call "high brown".

>> Next you'll be telling us you don't lick out the cake mixing bowl.
>>
>> Janet UK

> What, you haven't modernized... with these sillycone spatulas there's
> not a drop left in the bowl or on the spatula:

https://www.amazon.com/Nonstick-Resi...=spatula+pyrex

Oh puleeze. One of the favorite things for kids and cooks alike was to
lick the cake batter off the spatula!

Jill