Old 10-01-2019, 12:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cornbread (pic)

On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 11:39:37 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

Have you seen Murder in Paradise? It's pretty good.

My wife loves that show but I don't have the attention span to sit and watch stuff like that. My recommendation is, if your quaint little English town or tropical island has a member of the community wiped out every single week, you'd better get your ass the hell out of Dodge pronto! Mostly, I'll just see a minute or two of the show and then tell her who done it. I suppose that's rather annoying behavior.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , says...
Subject: Cornbread (pic)
From: jmcquown
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2019 7:03 AM, Janet wrote:
[quoted text muted]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Televi...gdom#Channels_
and_channel_owners

Janet UK

Does it really matter? The point is quality programming.

If UK commercial companies (funded by selling advertising time)
produce quality programming with good acting etc.... why doesn't the
USA?

Janet UK

Old 10-01-2019, 12:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 5:43:19 PM UTC-6, Janet wrote:

If UK commercial companies (funded by selling advertising time)
produce quality programming with good acting etc.... why doesn't the
USA?

Janet UK

Because they think the American public is dumber than a box of rocks and can't
maintain an attention span longer than 30 minutes. They think if it's not
anything any better than stupid comedy shows, reality and competition as well as 'talent' shows then we won't sit still to watch.

UGH.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-09 6:41 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 11:39:37 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

Have you seen Murder in Paradise? It's pretty good.

My wife loves that show but I don't have the attention span to sit
and watch stuff like that. My recommendation is, if your quaint
little English town or tropical island has a member of the community
wiped out every single week, you'd better get your ass the hell out
of Dodge pronto! Mostly, I'll just see a minute or two of the show
and then tell her who done it. I suppose that's rather annoying
behavior.

Many of the victims seem to be expats or visitors, so their early demise
is not going to have much effect on the breeding demographic on the
island. You should also not that it is a Caribbean Island, and most
islands in the region have high murder rates but still manage to see
population growth.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 6:04:52 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

I have seen lots of good programming on Netflix and HBO. It's the
networks that seem to have trouble with developing good shows.

I don't have Netflix and HBO is not one of the premium channels I have selected
in my DirecTV premium line-up. Whenever they have the free HBO/Showtime/Cinemax
etc. week-ends I check to see what's airing and usually nothing that outstanding.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-09 6:41 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 11:39:37 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

Have you seen Murder in Paradise? It's pretty good.

My wife loves that show but I don't have the attention span to sit
and watch stuff like that. My recommendation is, if your quaint
little English town or tropical island has a member of the community
wiped out every single week, you'd better get your ass the hell out
of Dodge pronto! Mostly, I'll just see a minute or two of the show
and then tell her who done it. I suppose that's rather annoying
behavior.

Many of the victims seem to be expats or visitors, so their early demise
is not going to have much effect on the breeding demographic on the
island. You should also not that it is a Caribbean Island, and most
islands in the region have high murder rates but still manage to see
population growth.

You're probably right about that. Our cop shows are pretty much in the same vein. The cops here also have that laid-back island style/mentality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReYoSObEjks
Old 10-01-2019, 10:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-09 6:41 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
[...]

==

We used to get Hawaii 50 here, but that vid is not available in this
country

Old 10-01-2019, 11:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Old 10-01-2019, 12:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , says...
From: jmcquown
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2019 7:03 AM, Janet wrote:
[quoted text muted]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Televi...gdom#Channels_
and_channel_owners

Janet UK

Does it really matter? The point is quality programming.

If UK commercial companies (funded by selling advertising time)
produce quality programming with good acting etc.... why doesn't the
USA?

It does. It's not to Jill's taste, but there's lots of good stuff. A
lot of it comes out on premium cable channels, but there's some on
broadcast television.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 10-01-2019, 02:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Old 11-01-2019, 09:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-09 6:41 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
[...]

I don't watch Hawaii Five-0. It totally insists upon itself. Too much bang-bang, boom-boom.

I can understand the appeal of "Death in Paradise." It moves the genre of the brilliant, small time detective in the quiet English village to a locale more exotic. It moves from the quaint, proper, and reserved to the loose, laid-back, and exuberant. From the cool/cold to the warm/hot. That, in itself, is brilliant. I believe that the first show of the 8th season was just shown. Looks like a fun show but with my attention span...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/...bbc/vp-BBRNd7X

Old 11-01-2019, 04:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophy wrote:
We used to get Hawaii 50 here, but that vid is not available in this
country

"Bruce" wrote:
Same here.

Ophelia wrote:
Pah!

Neither of you are missing anything good, imo. The old series was
so-so. Then they brought back a remake in 2010...I watched a
couple of the new episodes and.....boring to me. I did like
"Wo-Fat" though in the old series, the old arch enemy. "So
McGarret, we meet again." lol

If you want a fairly decent crime show, check out "Criminal
Minds." I've only watched a few episodes but the ones I did watch
were top notch. hth
Old 11-01-2019, 04:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-11 10:28 a.m., Gary wrote:

If you want a fairly decent crime show, check out "Criminal
Minds." I've only watched a few episodes but the ones I did watch
were top notch. hth

I have been watching re-run of The Sopranos on the satellite movie
networks. I have to keep reminding myself that it is a soap opera.

Cornbread etc Ophelia[_11_] General Cooking 78 23-01-2014 07:42 AM
Cornbread Mr Libido Incognito General Cooking 5 30-12-2006 08:14 AM
Cornbread kilikini General Cooking 3 28-12-2006 08:35 PM
Cornbread Ken Davey General Cooking 0 28-12-2006 07:01 PM
CornBREAD Richard Crowley Baking 22 16-12-2005 06:53 AM