Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spice Island Curry Powders

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

> As if €ścurry powder€? makes a curry....and only curry.

I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of curry
powder.

A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I put
it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 7:44:20 PM UTC-6, Joy Beeson wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
> > As if €ścurry powderďż˝‚¬? makes a curry....and only curry.

> I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
> seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of curry
> powder.
>
> A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
> more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I put
> it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)
>
> --
> Joy Beeson
> joy beeson at comcast dot net
> http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

I have a small curry plant growing in a pot on my front west-facing window.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 7:44:20 PM UTC-6, Joy Beeson wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > As if €ścurry powderďż˝‚¬? makes a curry....and only curry.

> > I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
> > seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of
> > curry powder.
> >
> > A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
> > more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I
> > put it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)
> >
> > --
> > Joy Beeson
> > joy beeson at comcast dot net
> > http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

> I have a small curry plant growing in a pot on my front west-facing
> window.
>
> John Kuthe...

There is no such thing John. Look up 'curry'. It's a spice blend.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-05 9:55 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:

>> I have a small curry plant growing in a pot on my front west-facing
>> window.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> There is no such thing John. Look up 'curry'. It's a spice blend.

Actually.... there is a curry plant. It is called that because of its
strong smell. It is not used in cooking. Then there is the curry tree,
and the leaves of that are sometimes used in Indian cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joy Beeson wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
> > As if €ścurry powder€? makes a curry....and only curry.

> I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
> seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of curry
> powder.
>
> A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
> more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I put
> it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)

Yup, is a best guess since I see no reply on what he wanted in more
detail:

https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/mild...w-curry-powder

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 7:44:20 PM UTC-6, Joy Beeson wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > As if €ścurry powderďż˝‚¬? makes a curry....and only curry.

> > I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
> > seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of
> > curry powder.
> >
> > A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
> > more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I
> > put it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)
> >
> > --
> > Joy Beeson
> > joy beeson at comcast dot net
> > http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

> I have a small curry plant growing in a pot on my front west-facing
> window.
>
> John Kuthe...

Curry is a blend, but many leaves can be used. What you refer to is
only a little of it all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_tree
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Jan 2019 20:55:33 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>John Kuthe wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 7:44:20 PM UTC-6, Joy Beeson wrote:
>> > On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx

>> > I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
>> > seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of
>> > curry powder.
>> >
>> > A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
>> > more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I
>> > put it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)
>> >
>> > --
>> > Joy Beeson
>> > joy beeson at comcast dot net
>> > http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

>> I have a small curry plant growing in a pot on my front west-facing
>> window.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>There is no such thing John. Look up 'curry'. It's a spice blend.

There is a curry plant but it has nothing to do with Indian cooking,
and certainly has nothing to do with cooking Indian curry.
https://www.recipetips.com/glossary-...urry-plant.asp

In Indian cookery curry is simply a word for stew, there are as many
variations of curry as there are Indian cooks who cook stew.... really
no different from any other ethnic cooks who cook stew, Indian cooks
don't skim off the fat, they serve it with a good inch of fat floating
at the surface... that's been my experience with the finest NYC Indian
restaurants. I think Indian cooking is disgusting.... a tureen of
schtinkin lamb greeze and pittifully few veggies. You'll never catch
me in an Indian restaurant again... Indian cookery is 5th world
garbage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 7:44:20 PM UTC-6, Joy Beeson wrote:
>> On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> As if €ścurry powderďż˝‚¬? makes a curry....and only curry.

>> I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
>> seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of curry
>> powder.
>>
>> A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
>> more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I put
>> it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)
>>
>> --
>> Joy Beeson
>> joy beeson at comcast dot net
>> http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

> I have a small curry plant growing in a pot on my front west-facing window.
>
> John Kuthe...

Which has not one whit to do with curry powder, or any of the various
spices that compose a curry powder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk > wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 7:44:20 PM UTC-6, Joy Beeson wrote:
>>> On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx

>>> I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
>>> seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of
>>> curry powder.
>>>
>>> A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
>>> more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I
>>> put it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Joy Beeson
>>> joy beeson at comcast dot net
>>> http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

>> I have a small curry plant growing in a pot on my front west-facing
>> window.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> Curry is a blend, but many leaves can be used. What you refer to is
> only a little of it all.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_tree

To the best of my knowledge, curry leaves are not dried and added to any
curry powder. They are only used whole (like bay leaf is), usually fresh,
occasionally dried, but I dont know a single €śreal€ť Indian that would ever
use dried ones despite their availability.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

John Kuthe wrote:

> On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 7:44:20 PM UTC-6, Joy Beeson wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > As if €ścurry powderďż˝‚¬? makes a curry....and only curry.

> > I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
> > seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of
> > curry powder.
> >
> > A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
> > more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I
> > put it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)
> >
> > --
> > Joy Beeson
> > joy beeson at comcast dot net
> > http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

> I have a small curry plant growing in a pot on my front west-facing
> window.
>
> John Kuthe...

There is no such thing John. Look up 'curry'. It's a spice blend.

===

There are plants called that though.

https://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/Veget...B&ccode=D19PGP

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Joy Beeson wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
> > As if €œcurry powder€? makes a curry....and only curry.

> I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
> seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of curry
> powder.
>
> A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
> more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I put
> it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)

Yup, is a best guess since I see no reply on what he wanted in more
detail:

https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/mild...w-curry-powder

==

He didn't say anything about cooking with it. He just mentioned watering
it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 08:49:44 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"cshenk" wrote in message
>
>Joy Beeson wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > As if €ścurry powder€? makes a curry....and only curry.

>> I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
>> seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of curry
>> powder.
>>
>> A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
>> more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I put
>> it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)

>Yup, is a best guess since I see no reply on what he wanted in more
>detail:
>
>https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/mild...w-curry-powder
>
>==
>
>He didn't say anything about cooking with it. He just mentioned watering
>it.

But was there mold in that water? Did he pay taxes on that water? Was
he insured for a possible water leakage? Just saying he watered that
plant is NOT the end of the story!

<room for Alex, jinx and Pamela>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/5/2019 9:20 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Joy Beeson wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> As if €œcurry powder€? makes a curry....and only curry.

>> I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
>> seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of curry
>> powder.
>>
>> A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
>> more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I put
>> it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)

> Yup, is a best guess since I see no reply on what he wanted in more
> detail:
>
> https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/mild...w-curry-powder

I think this is what he is talking about:
https://www.thespicehouse.com/sweet-curry-powder
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/6/2019 6:14 AM, dejamos wrote:

> I think this is what he is talking about:
> https://www.thespicehouse.com/sweet-curry-powder

Thank you, "dejamos".

Others .....read the "Details" below the main item.

I've made many "curries". Many do not utilize the "curry tree" leaf,
but, many do. It's a matter of which curry you prefer.

BTW, there are Chinese currries, Thai curries, even Japanese Curries.
I've made Moroccan curries, also. There is no name that even suggests
that it is a Moroccan "curry", but that's what it is, jes the same.

Try making a Thai green curry from scratch.

https://www.templeofthai.com/recipes...urry_paste.php

The recipe calls for "cilantro root". Try and find that one! Howzabout
"galangal" or "kaffir" lime leaves.

"Curry" powder is merely an easy way to make a curry. A "short-cut", as
it were. It's why you can buy a Japanese curry, in a box.

https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Curry-...e%2Bcurry&th=1

*****OR*****

https://tinyurl.com/y8y7zb4g

nb

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 3:44:20 PM UTC-10, Joy Beeson wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
> > As if €ścurry powderďż˝‚¬? makes a curry....and only curry.

> I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
> seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of curry
> powder.
>
> A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
> more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I put
> it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)
>
> --
> Joy Beeson
> joy beeson at comcast dot net
> http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

I have used curry powder as you have - it's a pretty good idea. My wife and I used to eat Hawaiian style curry from a lunch wagon when we were going to school in the mid-seventies. We'd share a plate of it under a tree. It was a wonderful time of our lives.

The lunchwagon was named "Grace's Lunchwagon." The owners named it after their little daughter. They opened up a restaurant next door to where I work. I usually see their daughter working there. The curry still looks the same but the taste is a disappointment. The cook is using about twice the amount of curry powder than would be appropriate. I have no explanation for this.. That's the breaks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce > wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 08:49:44 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>> "cshenk" wrote in message
>>
>> Joy Beeson wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx

>>> I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
>>> seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of curry
>>> powder.
>>>
>>> A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
>>> more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I put
>>> it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)

>> Yup, is a best guess since I see no reply on what he wanted in more
>> detail:
>>
>> https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/mild...w-curry-powder
>>
>> ==
>>
>> He didn't say anything about cooking with it. He just mentioned watering
>> it.

> But was there mold in that water? Did he pay taxes on that water? Was
> he insured for a possible water leakage? Just saying he watered that
> plant is NOT the end of the story!
>
> <room for Alex, jinx and Pamela>

And Bruce. Dont forget him.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 10:35:53 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> On 1/6/2019 6:14 AM, dejamos wrote:
>
> > I think this is what he is talking about:
> > https://www.thespicehouse.com/sweet-curry-powder

> Thank you, "dejamos".
>
> Others .....read the "Details" below the main item.
>
> I've made many "curries". Many do not utilize the "curry tree" leaf,
> but, many do. It's a matter of which curry you prefer.
>
> BTW, there are Chinese currries, Thai curries, even Japanese Curries.
> I've made Moroccan curries, also. There is no name that even suggests
> that it is a Moroccan "curry", but that's what it is, jes the same.
>
> Try making a Thai green curry from scratch.
>
> https://www.templeofthai.com/recipes...urry_paste.php
>
> The recipe calls for "cilantro root". Try and find that one! Howzabout
> "galangal" or "kaffir" lime leaves.

No problem. Of course, I live in a college town with lots of immigrants.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-06 12:30 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 10:35:53 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
>> On 1/6/2019 6:14 AM, dejamos wrote:
>>
>>> I think this is what he is talking about:
>>> https://www.thespicehouse.com/sweet-curry-powder

>> Thank you, "dejamos".
>>
>> Others .....read the "Details" below the main item.
>>
>> I've made many "curries". Many do not utilize the "curry tree" leaf,
>> but, many do. It's a matter of which curry you prefer.
>>
>> BTW, there are Chinese currries, Thai curries, even Japanese Curries.
>> I've made Moroccan curries, also. There is no name that even suggests
>> that it is a Moroccan "curry", but that's what it is, jes the same.
>>
>> Try making a Thai green curry from scratch.
>>
>> https://www.templeofthai.com/recipes...urry_paste.php
>>
>> The recipe calls for "cilantro root". Try and find that one! Howzabout
>> "galangal" or "kaffir" lime leaves.

> No problem. Of course, I live in a college town with lots of immigrants.

Most of the stores around here that carry cilantro sell bunches of whole
cilantro plants that include the roots. Some sell packages that are
mostly the tops. Those packages tend to have about 1/4 the amount and
sell for more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/6/2019 10:30 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 10:35:53 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:

>> The recipe calls for "cilantro root". Try and find that one! Howzabout
>> "galangal" or "kaffir" lime leaves.

> No problem. Of course, I live in a college town with lots of immigrants.

As I used to. Plus, the SFBA has a pretty "diverse" population. Lotta
orientals.

Here? Mostly white geezers (like myself).

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> That might make a nice quick meal.

Nothing "quick" about it. I used traditional clay mortar and palm
pestle. Took a LONG time to mash everything into a paste. Never again!

No trouble finding galangal at the dozens of Asian markets in SFBA. I
hadda couple dwarf kaffir lime trees. Never did find cilantro roots,
though. Buy Ma Ploy green curry paste, instead.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 08:09:00 -0700, notbob > wrote:

>On 1/6/2019 1:37 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> That might make a nice quick meal.

>Nothing "quick" about it. I used traditional clay mortar and palm
>pestle. Took a LONG time to mash everything into a paste. Never again!
>

>No trouble finding galangal at the dozens of Asian markets in SFBA. I
>hadda couple dwarf kaffir lime trees. Never did find cilantro roots,
>though. Buy Ma Ploy green curry paste, instead.
>
>nb

Maesri pastes are decent, too. Used some this past weekend.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 11:32:35 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 08:09:00 -0700, notbob > wrote:
>
>>On 1/6/2019 1:37 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> That might make a nice quick meal.

>>Nothing "quick" about it. I used traditional clay mortar and palm
>>pestle. Took a LONG time to mash everything into a paste. Never again!
>>

>>No trouble finding galangal at the dozens of Asian markets in SFBA. I
>>hadda couple dwarf kaffir lime trees. Never did find cilantro roots,
>>though. Buy Ma Ploy green curry paste, instead.

"Green chili, Lemongrass, Garlic, Salt, Galangal, Shrimp paste
(Shrimp, Salt), Kaffir lime peel, Coriander seed, Pepper, Cumin,
Tumeric"

Good.

>>nb

>Maesri pastes are decent, too. Used some this past weekend.

"Chilli (40%), Garlic (25%), Shallot (15%), Lemon Grass (6 %), Salt
(6%), Spices (5%), Galangal (3%)"

Also good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2019 11:38 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I have a mortar and pestle but I
> rarely use it.

I have a Thai granite M&P (get the biggest one!), but lately, I've opted
for a used (thrift store) electric "whirly-blade" coffee grinder to chop
my spices.

I tossed that traditional Thai clay/wood M&P right after making that
scratch Thai grn curry. Whatta PIA.

Looked kinda like this, but only cost about $25USD at a Thai grocery
store in Bezerkeley, CA. NEVER buy a clay/wood M&P. Takes forever to
make a paste.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sat 05 Jan 2019 08:20:23p, cshenk told us...
>
> > thanlsJoy Beeson wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx

> >> I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much
> >> as seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans
> >> of curry powder.
> >>
> >> A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it
> >> taste more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the
> >> can, I put it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs
> >> better.)

> > Yup, is a best guess since I see no reply on what he wanted in
> > more detail:
> >
> > https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/mild...w-curry-powder
> >

> THANKS! That certainly sounds similar to the Spice Islands swet
> curry, and worth a try.

Welcome Wayne!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 18:40:33 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

> I have a small curry plant growing in a pot on my front west-facing window.

I have a curry plant in the southwest corner of the raised herb bed,
but I haven't had the nerve to put any in food, despite being assured
by various Web pages that it isn't toxic. Ditto for the feverfew
plant in the northwest corner, save that I'm pretty sure feverfew
isn't suitable for food.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joy Beeson wrote:

> Joy Beeson
> http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Hi Joy Beeson. I looked at your webpage.
I would sure love to adopt one of those
kids. So very cute plus if you raise them
from that age, they will always love you
and not eat you. heheh
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> > > Yup, is a best guess since I see no reply on what he wanted in
> > > more detail:
> > >
> > > https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/mild...w-curry-powder
> > >

> > THANKS! That certainly sounds similar to the Spice Islands swet
> > curry, and worth a try.

> Welcome Wayne!

Oh Wayne, It's very light weight and I could mail you a sampler if you
trust me to keep your address private? Email me at if
interested! No charge.

Carol