Old 06-01-2019, 05:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spice Island Curry Powders

Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 08:49:44 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message

Joy Beeson wrote:

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
wrote:

As if “curry powderâ€? makes a curry....and only curry.

I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of curry
powder.

A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I put
it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)

Yup, is a best guess since I see no reply on what he wanted in more
detail:

https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/mild...w-curry-powder

==

He didn't say anything about cooking with it. He just mentioned watering
it.

But was there mold in that water? Did he pay taxes on that water? Was
he insured for a possible water leakage? Just saying he watered that
plant is NOT the end of the story!

room for Alex, jinx and Pamela

And Bruce. Dont forget him.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 10:35:53 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
On 1/6/2019 6:14 AM, dejamos wrote:

I think this is what he is talking about:
https://www.thespicehouse.com/sweet-curry-powder

Thank you, "dejamos".

Others .....read the "Details" below the main item.

I've made many "curries". Many do not utilize the "curry tree" leaf,
but, many do. It's a matter of which curry you prefer.

BTW, there are Chinese currries, Thai curries, even Japanese Curries.
I've made Moroccan curries, also. There is no name that even suggests
that it is a Moroccan "curry", but that's what it is, jes the same.

Try making a Thai green curry from scratch.

https://www.templeofthai.com/recipes...urry_paste.php

The recipe calls for "cilantro root". Try and find that one! Howzabout
"galangal" or "kaffir" lime leaves.

No problem. Of course, I live in a college town with lots of immigrants.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 06-01-2019, 06:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-06 12:30 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

Most of the stores around here that carry cilantro sell bunches of whole
cilantro plants that include the roots. Some sell packages that are
mostly the tops. Those packages tend to have about 1/4 the amount and
sell for more.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/6/2019 10:30 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 10:35:53 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:

The recipe calls for "cilantro root". Try and find that one! Howzabout
"galangal" or "kaffir" lime leaves.

No problem. Of course, I live in a college town with lots of immigrants.

As I used to. Plus, the SFBA has a pretty "diverse" population. Lotta
orientals.

Here? Mostly white geezers (like myself).

nb

Old 07-01-2019, 04:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

That might make a nice quick meal.

Nothing "quick" about it. I used traditional clay mortar and palm
pestle. Took a LONG time to mash everything into a paste. Never again!

No trouble finding galangal at the dozens of Asian markets in SFBA. I
hadda couple dwarf kaffir lime trees. Never did find cilantro roots,
though. Buy Ma Ploy green curry paste, instead.

nb

Old 07-01-2019, 05:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 08:09:00 -0700, notbob wrote:

That might make a nice quick meal.

Nothing "quick" about it. I used traditional clay mortar and palm
pestle. Took a LONG time to mash everything into a paste. Never again!

No trouble finding galangal at the dozens of Asian markets in SFBA. I
hadda couple dwarf kaffir lime trees. Never did find cilantro roots,
though. Buy Ma Ploy green curry paste, instead.

nb

Maesri pastes are decent, too. Used some this past weekend.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 11:32:35 -0500, Boron Elgar
wrote:

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 08:09:00 -0700, notbob wrote:

That might make a nice quick meal.

Nothing "quick" about it. I used traditional clay mortar and palm
pestle. Took a LONG time to mash everything into a paste. Never again!

No trouble finding galangal at the dozens of Asian markets in SFBA. I
hadda couple dwarf kaffir lime trees. Never did find cilantro roots,
though. Buy Ma Ploy green curry paste, instead.

"Green chili, Lemongrass, Garlic, Salt, Galangal, Shrimp paste
(Shrimp, Salt), Kaffir lime peel, Coriander seed, Pepper, Cumin,
Tumeric"

Good.

nb

Maesri pastes are decent, too. Used some this past weekend.

"Chilli (40%), Garlic (25%), Shallot (15%), Lemon Grass (6 %), Salt
(6%), Spices (5%), Galangal (3%)"

Also good.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2019 11:38 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I have a mortar and pestle but I
rarely use it.

I have a Thai granite M&P (get the biggest one!), but lately, I've opted
for a used (thrift store) electric "whirly-blade" coffee grinder to chop
my spices.

I tossed that traditional Thai clay/wood M&P right after making that
scratch Thai grn curry. Whatta PIA.

Looked kinda like this, but only cost about $25USD at a Thai grocery
store in Bezerkeley, CA. NEVER buy a clay/wood M&P. Takes forever to
make a paste.

nb

Old 11-01-2019, 03:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Sat 05 Jan 2019 08:20:23p, cshenk told us...

thanlsJoy Beeson wrote:

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
wrote:

As if curry powder? makes a curry....and only curry.

I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much
as seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans
of curry powder.

A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it
taste more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the
can, I put it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs
better.)

Yup, is a best guess since I see no reply on what he wanted in
more detail:

https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/mild...w-curry-powder

THANKS! That certainly sounds similar to the Spice Islands swet
curry, and worth a try.

Welcome Wayne!
Old 11-01-2019, 04:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 18:40:33 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
wrote:

I have a small curry plant growing in a pot on my front west-facing window.

I have a curry plant in the southwest corner of the raised herb bed,
but I haven't had the nerve to put any in food, despite being assured
by various Web pages that it isn't toxic. Ditto for the feverfew
plant in the northwest corner, save that I'm pretty sure feverfew
isn't suitable for food.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old 11-01-2019, 04:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Joy Beeson wrote:

Joy Beeson
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Hi Joy Beeson. I looked at your webpage.
I would sure love to adopt one of those
kids. So very cute plus if you raise them
from that age, they will always love you
and not eat you. heheh
Old 11-01-2019, 06:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

As if curry powder? makes a curry....and only curry.

I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much
as seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans
of curry powder.

A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it
taste more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the
can, I put it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs
better.)

Yup, is a best guess since I see no reply on what he wanted in
more detail:

https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/mild...w-curry-powder

THANKS! That certainly sounds similar to the Spice Islands swet
curry, and worth a try.

Welcome Wayne!

Oh Wayne, It's very light weight and I could mail you a sampler if you
trust me to keep your address private? Email me at if
interested! No charge.

Carol