Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT: Ferrets (was Circulon pot quality)

Bruce wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> >I'd choose extra cabinet space over a dishwasher. Ferrets get
> >trapped underneath them too.

> Either that's a dishwasher on legs or the ferret's very flat.

The dishwasher does not sit flat on the floor. It's up about 7
inches off the floor plus there is space in the back too. Guess
the spaces allow for motor and pipes required.

Ferrets are pretty small (avg is 3-5 pounds) and they can fit in
tight spaces very easily.

As for my dishwasher, Mia was the only one that was interested in
exploring that. I watched her climb underneath from the front
once. I immediately pulled her out gently by the head. Then I
made a barrier of books that stayed on the floor for a long time.
Eventually, she disappeared again and she was trapped underneath
the darn dishwasher. My only clue to finding her was my cabinet
door underneath the kitchen sink was ajar. No Mia in the cabinet
but then I noticed the hole cut in the side for the dishwasher
pipes and drain.

Sure enough, I stuck my hand in that hole and she immediately
touched her nose to my hand. That's the ferret way of saying
"hi". Anyway, she climbed into that hole but the floor inside
was lower so she was trapped. Again, I had to grab her head and
gently lift her up and through the hole. After that I put a latch
on that cabinet door to keep her out.

Mia was the one that got trapped in things often....like once a
large box she jumped in from a chair but then couldn't get out.
Frustrating is that they are mimes and silent. They don't even
think to scratch to make noise. They just sit wherever and wait
for you to find them. arrrr
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Circulon pot quality

Notbob, there is another way to clean the polished stainless steel, like the All-Clad frypan
my DIL was going to throw out because she let a silicone scraper melt in the bottom.

I went out to the Harley-Davidson dealer and got a small supply of a product that will take
melted rubber or a synthetic rubber-like substance off an exhaust pipe (like if a rubber protective
pad from a cycle suit got up against a hot exhaust pipe).

It took a lot of elbow grease, but the scraper residue all came off. And the finish looked like new,
and the pan is still as non-stick as it was originally. Ta-dah! Magic! ;-))

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2019 11:50 AM, Nancy2 wrote:

> Notbob, there is another way to clean the polished stainless steel, like the All-Clad frypan
> my DIL was going to throw out because she let a silicone scraper melt in the bottom.
>
> I went out to the Harley-Davidson dealer and got a small supply of a product that will take
> melted rubber or a synthetic rubber-like substance off an exhaust pipe (like if a rubber protective
> pad from a cycle suit got up against a hot exhaust pipe).
>
> It took a lot of elbow grease, but the scraper residue all came off. And the finish looked like new,
> and the pan is still as non-stick as it was originally. Ta-dah! Magic! ;-))

An All Clad pan is worth fighting for. Good job.

I threw out a pot a couple of weeks ago. My first ruined pan.
I messed up cooking brown rice and it was burnt on the bottom.
It was an old Farberware and I replaced it rather than fight.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-08 10:27 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:
> On 1/8/2019 11:50 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>> Notbob, there is another way to clean the polished stainless steel,
>> like the All-Clad frypan
>> my DIL was going to throw out because she let a silicone scraper melt
>> in the bottom.
>>
>> I went out to the Harley-Davidson dealer and got a small supply of a
>> product that will take
>> melted rubber or a synthetic rubber-like substance off an exhaust pipe
>> (like if a rubber protective
>> pad from a cycle suit got up against a hot exhaust pipe).
>>
>> It took a lot of elbow grease, but the scraper residue all came off.
>> And the finish looked like new,
>> and the pan is still as non-stick as it was originally.Â* Ta-dah!
>> Magic!Â* ;-))

> An All Clad pan is worth fighting for.

Certainly true as All Clad is still being made in the US and not China!
All of my pans were made in Denmark, France or Italy. It's difficult to
find good bakeware these days that's not made in China but I have some
Chicago Metallic that is of superb quality.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2019 12:46 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2019-01-08 10:27 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:

>> An All Clad pan is worth fighting for.

> Certainly true as All Clad is still being made in the US and not China!
> All of my pans were made in Denmark, France or Italy. It's difficult to
> find good bakeware these days that's not made in China but I have some
> Chicago Metallic that is of superb quality.

I have a couple of All Clad pots and wow they are solid. I would
hate to ruin one of those. I'd get that burned rice out of one
of those.

I've never come across Chicago Metallic though I have heard of
them. I do have a couple of Nordicware sheet pans I like a lot.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I use an 8" Fire King pie plate to make mac and cheese, I think it was made by Anchor Hocking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Col, I have an Anchor Hocking microwave bacon tray, which has no equal, IMO. Bacon turns out
just as brown and crispy as it does from cast iron. I love it so much, I have a backup tucked away
I got on eBay. ;-))

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 7:46:46 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> On 2019-01-08 10:27 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:
> > On 1/8/2019 11:50 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> >>
> >> Notbob, there is another way to clean the polished stainless steel,
> >> like the All-Clad frypan
> >> my DIL was going to throw out because she let a silicone scraper melt
> >> in the bottom.
> >>
> >> I went out to the Harley-Davidson dealer and got a small supply of a
> >> product that will take
> >> melted rubber or a synthetic rubber-like substance off an exhaust pipe
> >> (like if a rubber protective
> >> pad from a cycle suit got up against a hot exhaust pipe).
> >>
> >> It took a lot of elbow grease, but the scraper residue all came off.
> >> And the finish looked like new,
> >> and the pan is still as non-stick as it was originally.Â* Ta-dah!
> >> Magic!Â* ;-))

> > An All Clad pan is worth fighting for.

> Certainly true as All Clad is still being made in the US and not China!
> All of my pans were made in Denmark, France or Italy. It's difficult to
> find good bakeware these days that's not made in China but I have some
> Chicago Metallic that is of superb quality.

I'm not into brands but will look for beautiful design and execution and appropriate construction. My brother asked me if I wanted some of his pans. I chose a beautiful stainless steel saucepan with a lid. It's well made with a flared rim rather than a rolled one and has a solid steel slug bonded somehow to the bottom. I wanted to make some sauce last night and when I turned the heat on, I got a big fat zero. My induction range sensed that pan as not existing. That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Tue 08 Jan 2019 12:39:44p, Nancy Young told us...

>> I've never come across Chicago Metallic though I have heard of
>> them. I do have a couple of Nordicware sheet pans I like a lot.

> Go here, Nancy. It's worth a look...
>
> https://www.chicagometallicbakeware.com/

Looks nice. One of the cake pans looks like mine so I had to
go check, my 3 are USA PAN. They do a nice job.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 7:46:46 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> On 2019-01-08 10:27 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:
> > On 1/8/2019 11:50 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> >>
> >> Notbob, there is another way to clean the polished stainless steel,
> >> like the All-Clad frypan
> >> my DIL was going to throw out because she let a silicone scraper melt
> >> in the bottom.
> >>
> >> I went out to the Harley-Davidson dealer and got a small supply of a
> >> product that will take
> >> melted rubber or a synthetic rubber-like substance off an exhaust pipe
> >> (like if a rubber protective
> >> pad from a cycle suit got up against a hot exhaust pipe).
> >>
> >> It took a lot of elbow grease, but the scraper residue all came off.
> >> And the finish looked like new,
> >> and the pan is still as non-stick as it was originally. Ta-dah!
> >> Magic! ;-))

> > An All Clad pan is worth fighting for.

> Certainly true as All Clad is still being made in the US and not China!
> All of my pans were made in Denmark, France or Italy. It's difficult to
> find good bakeware these days that's not made in China but I have some
> Chicago Metallic that is of superb quality.

I'm not into brands but will look for beautiful design and execution and
appropriate construction. My brother asked me if I wanted some of his pans.
I chose a beautiful stainless steel saucepan with a lid. It's well made with
a flared rim rather than a rolled one and has a solid steel slug bonded
somehow to the bottom. I wanted to make some sauce last night and when I
turned the heat on, I got a big fat zero. My induction range sensed that pan
as not existing. That's the breaks.

===

Yer just too modern ... ;p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 3:31:38 PM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 08 Jan 2019 10:46:41a, graham told us...

> >> An All Clad pan is worth fighting for.

> > Certainly true as All Clad is still being made in the US and not
> > China! All of my pans were made in Denmark, France or Italy. It's
> > difficult to find good bakeware these days that's not made in
> > China but I have some Chicago Metallic that is of superb quality.

> You can't beat Chicago Metallic for quality. All of my metal
> bakeware is from Chicago Metallic. Nearly half of what I have was
> bought by my mother back in the late 1930s. It seems to last
> forever. The rest I bought. I have a few piees of tempered glass
> and ceramic bakeware.

I don't really bake, but I've got four half sheet pans from
Lincoln/Vollrath/Wearever that I got at the food service supply.
They're indispensible for everything from baking cookies to
ferrying packs of soup or leftovers down to the freezer (top of
a fridge, not a deep freeze) in the basement.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 7:53:53 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 7:46:46 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:

> > > An All Clad pan is worth fighting for.

> > Certainly true as All Clad is still being made in the US and not China!
> > All of my pans were made in Denmark, France or Italy. It's difficult to
> > find good bakeware these days that's not made in China but I have some
> > Chicago Metallic that is of superb quality.

> I'm not into brands but will look for beautiful design and execution and appropriate construction. My brother asked me if I wanted some of his pans. I chose a beautiful stainless steel saucepan with a lid. It's well made with a flared rim rather than a rolled one and has a solid steel slug bonded somehow to the bottom. I wanted to make some sauce last night and when I turned the heat on, I got a big fat zero. My induction range sensed that pan as not existing. That's the breaks.

Probably a big aluminum slug bonded to the bottom, then. Maybe with a
little stainless on the outside for appearance.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-09 4:04 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 7:53:53 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

>>> Certainly true as All Clad is still being made in the US and not China!
>>> All of my pans were made in Denmark, France or Italy. It's difficult to
>>> find good bakeware these days that's not made in China but I have some
>>> Chicago Metallic that is of superb quality.

>> I'm not into brands but will look for beautiful design and execution and appropriate construction. My brother asked me if I wanted some of his pans. I chose a beautiful stainless steel saucepan with a lid. It's well made with a flared rim rather than a rolled one and has a solid steel slug bonded somehow to the bottom. I wanted to make some sauce last night and when I turned the heat on, I got a big fat zero. My induction range sensed that pan as not existing. That's the breaks.

> Probably a big aluminum slug bonded to the bottom, then. Maybe with a
> little stainless on the outside for appearance.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

There's "stainless" and "stainless". If a magnet will stick to it, then
induction will work. My older S/S pots wouldn't work with induction
whereas my newer ones will and have a symbol stamped on the base.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 10:02:37 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:
> On 2019-01-09 4:04 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I'm not into brands but will look for beautiful design and execution and appropriate construction. My brother asked me if I wanted some of his pans. I chose a beautiful stainless steel saucepan with a lid. It's well made with a flared rim rather than a rolled one and has a solid steel slug bonded somehow to the bottom. I wanted to make some sauce last night and when I turned the heat on, I got a big fat zero. My induction range sensed that pan as not existing. That's the breaks.

> > Probably a big aluminum slug bonded to the bottom, then. Maybe with a
> > little stainless on the outside for appearance.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> There's "stainless" and "stainless". If a magnet will stick to it, then
> induction will work. My older S/S pots wouldn't work with induction
> whereas my newer ones will and have a symbol stamped on the base.

Steel isn't all that good of a heat conductor. Pans frequently have
a disk of aluminum bonded to the bottom, optionally covered in a
thin layer of stainless. Regardless of the quality of the stainless steel,
the bottom of the pan is basically aluminum.

It would be interesting to know what brand dsi1 actually has.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-09 8:26 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 10:02:37 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:

>>> Probably a big aluminum slug bonded to the bottom, then. Maybe with a
>>> little stainless on the outside for appearance.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> There's "stainless" and "stainless". If a magnet will stick to it, then
>> induction will work. My older S/S pots wouldn't work with induction
>> whereas my newer ones will and have a symbol stamped on the base.

> Steel isn't all that good of a heat conductor. Pans frequently have
> a disk of aluminum bonded to the bottom, optionally covered in a
> thin layer of stainless. Regardless of the quality of the stainless steel,
> the bottom of the pan is basically aluminum.
>
> It would be interesting to know what brand dsi1 actually has.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Yes all my S/S pans are triple layered with Al. However, not all S/S is
magnetic, and it has to be to work with induction.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 1:05:03 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 7:53:53 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> > > Certainly true as All Clad is still being made in the US and not China!
> > > All of my pans were made in Denmark, France or Italy. It's difficult to
> > > find good bakeware these days that's not made in China but I have some
> > > Chicago Metallic that is of superb quality.

> > I'm not into brands but will look for beautiful design and execution and appropriate construction. My brother asked me if I wanted some of his pans. I chose a beautiful stainless steel saucepan with a lid. It's well made with a flared rim rather than a rolled one and has a solid steel slug bonded somehow to the bottom. I wanted to make some sauce last night and when I turned the heat on, I got a big fat zero. My induction range sensed that pan as not existing. That's the breaks.

> Probably a big aluminum slug bonded to the bottom, then. Maybe with a
> little stainless on the outside for appearance.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

The bottom does not appear to be aluminum and it quite hard. It has an interesting swirled finish. It looks like it was hit with a large wire brush. There are no manufacture's marks. It has "Made in France" in small letters inside the folded metal handle. That's all there is.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 1:22:52 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ===
>
> Yer just too modern ... ;p

Induction is the future of home cooking. You can take that to the bank. Hee hee. The good news is that they're making induction ready, non-stick steel frying pans. It had to find pans of that construction but the times they are a-changin'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 5:26:06 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 10:02:37 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:

> > > Probably a big aluminum slug bonded to the bottom, then. Maybe with a
> > > little stainless on the outside for appearance.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton
> > >

> > There's "stainless" and "stainless". If a magnet will stick to it, then
> > induction will work. My older S/S pots wouldn't work with induction
> > whereas my newer ones will and have a symbol stamped on the base.

> Steel isn't all that good of a heat conductor. Pans frequently have
> a disk of aluminum bonded to the bottom, optionally covered in a
> thin layer of stainless. Regardless of the quality of the stainless steel,
> the bottom of the pan is basically aluminum.
>
> It would be interesting to know what brand dsi1 actually has.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

It would be interesting but I don't know. You are right that steel and iron are poor conductors of heat. The dirty little secret of induction is that the pan heats up so fast the energy transfer is so localized that there's definite hot spots on the surface of the pan. That's the nature of the beast.. My wok is fairly thin so the effect is amplified but I love how my wok works with induction.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 dsi1 > wrote:

>The bottom does not appear to be aluminum and it quite hard. It has an interesting swirled finish.
>It looks like it was hit with a large wire brush. There are no manufacture's marks.
>It has "Made in France" in small letters inside the folded metal handle.

French pans are Faggot or Bi pans... like Greek style cookware....
whatever you do back up to a wall at a gyro joint.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> On 2019-01-09 4:04 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I'm not into brands but will look for beautiful design and execution and appropriate construction. My brother asked me if I wanted some of his pans. I chose a beautiful stainless steel saucepan with a lid. It's well made with a flared rim rather than a rolled one and has a solid steel slug bonded somehow to the bottom. I wanted to make some sauce last night and when I turned the heat on, I got a big fat zero. My induction range sensed that pan as not existing. That's

the breaks.

> > Probably a big aluminum slug bonded to the bottom, then. Maybe with a
> > little stainless on the outside for appearance.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> There's "stainless" and "stainless". If a magnet will stick to it, then
> induction will work. My older S/S pots wouldn't work with induction
> whereas my newer ones will and have a symbol stamped on the base.

My ss pans have a copper base.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 1:22:06 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 dsi1 > wrote:
> >
> >The bottom does not appear to be aluminum and it quite hard. It has an interesting swirled finish.
> >It looks like it was hit with a large wire brush. There are no manufacture's marks.
> >It has "Made in France" in small letters inside the folded metal handle.

> French pans are Faggot or Bi pans... like Greek style cookware....
> whatever you do back up to a wall at a gyro joint.

You are the expert on the *** life and maybe you know a little about the French. All I know is that this pan is invisible to my range and that it's quite beautiful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 5:25:05 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:

> Sounds like yoose have a lot of experience Popeye. Izzat why yoose walk
> bowlegged?

It's the worst job in the history of Usenet of someone trying to convince people that they're straight. There's nothing wrong with being *** but does denying who you are at the expense of others mean you're a bad person? Why yes, it does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 1:26:37 PM UTC-10, Janet wrote:
> In article >, says...

> the breaks.
> > >
> > > Probably a big aluminum slug bonded to the bottom, then. Maybe with a
> > > little stainless on the outside for appearance.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton
> > >

> > There's "stainless" and "stainless". If a magnet will stick to it, then
> > induction will work. My older S/S pots wouldn't work with induction
> > whereas my newer ones will and have a symbol stamped on the base.

> My ss pans have a copper base.
>
> Janet UK

All stainless steel pans should have a copper base - but they don't. Well, unless they're going to be used for induction. That is, unless you have an induction burner that works with non-ferrous metals.

Here's my new pot. I think it's pretty damn pretty

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...n9hzYYnPtYtjbH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 10:59:52 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> Here's my new pot. I think it's pretty damn pretty
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...n9hzYYnPtYtjbH

Pretty teal color!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 1:22:52 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ===
>
> Yer just too modern ... ;p

Induction is the future of home cooking. You can take that to the bank. Hee
hee. The good news is that they're making induction ready, non-stick steel
frying pans. It had to find pans of that construction but the times they are
a-changin'.

==

Very true

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 1:26:37 PM UTC-10, Janet wrote:
> In article >, says...

> the breaks.
> > >
> > > Probably a big aluminum slug bonded to the bottom, then. Maybe with a
> > > little stainless on the outside for appearance.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton
> > >

> > There's "stainless" and "stainless". If a magnet will stick to it, then
> > induction will work. My older S/S pots wouldn't work with induction
> > whereas my newer ones will and have a symbol stamped on the base.

> My ss pans have a copper base.
>
> Janet UK

All stainless steel pans should have a copper base - but they don't. Well,
unless they're going to be used for induction. That is, unless you have an
induction burner that works with non-ferrous metals.

Here's my new pot. I think it's pretty damn pretty

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...n9hzYYnPtYtjbH

==

I certainly is Do you have an oven you can use it in?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 7:07:03 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 10:59:52 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > Here's my new pot. I think it's pretty damn pretty
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...n9hzYYnPtYtjbH
> >

> Pretty teal color!

To me it's blue but I like the word "teal.' Hopefully, I get to use it at least once before I die.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 9:31:42 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> I certainly is Do you have an oven you can use it in?

Probably not because it's made of plastic. It's actually a Japanese style lunch box. On the lid it says "Enjoy Your Meal" and "Le Temps Heureux" - The happy times.

I'll use it soon.

Tonight I made and packed up rafute - braised Okinawan shoyu pork belly and some slaw dressed with Japan mayo, oyster sauce, and some spicy ketchup. Boy, that's some tasty stuff!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...dxd-FnlVBIq04K
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 9:31:42 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> I certainly is Do you have an oven you can use it in?

Probably not because it's made of plastic. It's actually a Japanese style
lunch box. On the lid it says "Enjoy Your Meal" and "Le Temps Heureux" - The
happy times.

I'll use it soon.

Tonight I made and packed up rafute - braised Okinawan shoyu pork belly and
some slaw dressed with Japan mayo, oyster sauce, and some spicy ketchup.
Boy, that's some tasty stuff!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...dxd-FnlVBIq04K

==

That looks good I made a Stir fry chop suey and it was good. No pics
though I will have to try to remember to take some.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 5:54:30 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 1:05:03 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > I'm not into brands but will look for beautiful design and execution and appropriate construction. My brother asked me if I wanted some of his pans. I chose a beautiful stainless steel saucepan with a lid. It's well made with a flared rim rather than a rolled one and has a solid steel slug bonded somehow to the bottom. I wanted to make some sauce last night and when I turned the heat on, I got a big fat zero. My induction range sensed that pan as not existing. That's the breaks.

> > Probably a big aluminum slug bonded to the bottom, then. Maybe with a
> > little stainless on the outside for appearance.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> The bottom does not appear to be aluminum and it quite hard. It has an interesting swirled finish. It looks like it was hit with a large wire brush. There are no manufacture's marks. It has "Made in France" in small letters inside the folded metal handle. That's all there is.

If it has a thin layer of steel over an aluminum disc, then it would
not _appear_ to be aluminum, yet it would not have sufficient ferrous
content to respond to induction. What happens when you try to adhere
a magnet to the bottom?

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 11:59:52 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 1:26:37 PM UTC-10, Janet wrote:

> > > There's "stainless" and "stainless". If a magnet will stick to it, then
> > > induction will work. My older S/S pots wouldn't work with induction
> > > whereas my newer ones will and have a symbol stamped on the base.

> > My ss pans have a copper base.
> >
> > Janet UK

> All stainless steel pans should have a copper base - but they don't.

No, they shouldn't. They should have whatever the owner feels is
most useful. In my case, that's aluminum.

> Well, unless they're going to be used for induction. That is, unless you have an induction burner that works with non-ferrous metals.
>
> Here's my new pot. I think it's pretty damn pretty
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...n9hzYYnPtYtjbH

It is quite pretty.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 11:40:56 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 9:31:42 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > I certainly is Do you have an oven you can use it in?

> Probably not because it's made of plastic. It's actually a Japanese style
> lunch box. On the lid it says "Enjoy Your Meal" and "Le Temps Heureux" - The
> happy times.
>
> I'll use it soon.
>
> Tonight I made and packed up rafute - braised Okinawan shoyu pork belly and
> some slaw dressed with Japan mayo, oyster sauce, and some spicy ketchup.
> Boy, that's some tasty stuff!
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...dxd-FnlVBIq04K
>
> ==
>
> That looks good I made a Stir fry chop suey and it was good. No pics
> though I will have to try to remember to take some.

What was in the chop suey? I like stir fry stuff. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 1:27:29 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 5:54:30 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> > > Probably a big aluminum slug bonded to the bottom, then. Maybe with a
> > > little stainless on the outside for appearance.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > The bottom does not appear to be aluminum and it quite hard. It has an interesting swirled finish. It looks like it was hit with a large wire brush. There are no manufacture's marks. It has "Made in France" in small letters inside the folded metal handle. That's all there is.

> If it has a thin layer of steel over an aluminum disc, then it would
> not _appear_ to be aluminum, yet it would not have sufficient ferrous
> content to respond to induction. What happens when you try to adhere
> a magnet to the bottom?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

The base is a very hard metal and it's non-magnetic. The reason I got it was because it appears to have a non-clad, non sandwich, construction i.e., no aluminum. Unfortunately, it's made of non-magnetic stainless steel.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 11:40:56 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 9:31:42 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > I certainly is Do you have an oven you can use it in?

> Probably not because it's made of plastic. It's actually a Japanese style
> lunch box. On the lid it says "Enjoy Your Meal" and "Le Temps Heureux" -
> The
> happy times.
>
> I'll use it soon.
>
> Tonight I made and packed up rafute - braised Okinawan shoyu pork belly
> and
> some slaw dressed with Japan mayo, oyster sauce, and some spicy ketchup.
> Boy, that's some tasty stuff!
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...dxd-FnlVBIq04K
>
> ==
>
> That looks good I made a Stir fry chop suey and it was good. No pics
> though I will have to try to remember to take some.

What was in the chop suey? I like stir fry stuff. Thanks.

==

STIR FRY CHICKEN CHOP SUEY

chicken sliced
bicarb
Toss together and leave for 20 minutes

Mix in together in bowl
cornflour
light soy

Add:
Oyster sauce
Chinese cooking wine
sesame oil
water
Mix together.

Chop:
garlic
onions
stems pak choy stems
med carrot
sliced mushrooms

Rinse and chop chicken into slices

Heat oil, add garlic and onions. Cook 1 minute
Add chicken and cook 1 minute
Add chopped veg stir fry 1 minute
Add sauce and green tops.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 1:30:08 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > My ss pans have a copper base.
> > >
> > > Janet UK

> > All stainless steel pans should have a copper base - but they don't.

> No, they shouldn't. They should have whatever the owner feels is
> most useful. In my case, that's aluminum.
>
> > Well, unless they're going to be used for induction. That is, unless you have an induction burner that works with non-ferrous metals.
> >
> > Here's my new pot. I think it's pretty damn pretty
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...n9hzYYnPtYtjbH

> It is quite pretty.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

When I say all pans should be made of copper, it is purely from a heat conduction standpoint. The cooking surface should be stainless steel. Evidently, copper is too precious a metal to be used for cookware so aluminum is popular. Unfortunately, aluminum doesn't react well to high temperatures.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 7:13:13 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 11:40:56 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 9:31:42 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > >
> > > I certainly is Do you have an oven you can use it in?

> > Probably not because it's made of plastic. It's actually a Japanese style
> > lunch box. On the lid it says "Enjoy Your Meal" and "Le Temps Heureux" -
> > The
> > happy times.
> >
> > I'll use it soon.
> >
> > Tonight I made and packed up rafute - braised Okinawan shoyu pork belly
> > and
> > some slaw dressed with Japan mayo, oyster sauce, and some spicy ketchup.
> > Boy, that's some tasty stuff!
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...dxd-FnlVBIq04K
> >
> > ==
> >
> > That looks good I made a Stir fry chop suey and it was good. No pics
> > though I will have to try to remember to take some.

> What was in the chop suey? I like stir fry stuff. Thanks.
>
> ==
>
> STIR FRY CHICKEN CHOP SUEY
>
> chicken sliced
> bicarb
> Toss together and leave for 20 minutes
>
> Mix in together in bowl
> cornflour
> light soy
>
> Add:
> Oyster sauce
> Chinese cooking wine
> sesame oil
> water
> Mix together.
>
> Chop:
> garlic
> onions
> stems pak choy stems
> med carrot
> sliced mushrooms
>
> Rinse and chop chicken into slices
>
> Heat oil, add garlic and onions. Cook 1 minute
> Add chicken and cook 1 minute
> Add chopped veg stir fry 1 minute
> Add sauce and green tops.

That sounds pretty good. I shall keep it in mind. Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 7:13:13 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 11:40:56 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 9:31:42 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > >
> > > I certainly is Do you have an oven you can use it in?

> > Probably not because it's made of plastic. It's actually a Japanese
> > style
> > lunch box. On the lid it says "Enjoy Your Meal" and "Le Temps Heureux" -
> > The
> > happy times.
> >
> > I'll use it soon.
> >
> > Tonight I made and packed up rafute - braised Okinawan shoyu pork belly
> > and
> > some slaw dressed with Japan mayo, oyster sauce, and some spicy ketchup.
> > Boy, that's some tasty stuff!
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...dxd-FnlVBIq04K
> >
> > ==
> >
> > That looks good I made a Stir fry chop suey and it was good. No pics
> > though I will have to try to remember to take some.

> What was in the chop suey? I like stir fry stuff. Thanks.
>
> ==
>
> STIR FRY CHICKEN CHOP SUEY
>
> chicken sliced
> bicarb
> Toss together and leave for 20 minutes
>
> Mix in together in bowl
> cornflour
> light soy
>
> Add:
> Oyster sauce
> Chinese cooking wine
> sesame oil
> water
> Mix together.
>
> Chop:
> garlic
> onions
> stems pak choy stems
> med carrot
> sliced mushrooms
>
> Rinse and chop chicken into slices
>
> Heat oil, add garlic and onions. Cook 1 minute
> Add chicken and cook 1 minute
> Add chopped veg stir fry 1 minute
> Add sauce and green tops.

That sounds pretty good. I shall keep it in mind. Thanks!

==

It was new to us and we enjoyed it

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 1:50:54 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 7:07:03 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> > On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 10:59:52 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> > >
> > > Here's my new pot. I think it's pretty damn pretty
> > >
> > > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...n9hzYYnPtYtjbH
> > >

> > Pretty teal color!

> To me it's blue but I like the word "teal.' Hopefully, I get to use it at least once before I die.

It may actually be blue but it's coming across my screen as teal. No matter,
nice pot!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-10 12:37 p.m., wrote:
> On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 1:50:54 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...n9hzYYnPtYtjbH

>>> Pretty teal color!

>> To me it's blue but I like the word "teal.' Hopefully, I get to use it at least once before I die.
>>

> It may actually be blue but it's coming across my screen as teal. No matter,
> nice pot!

This is curious. When I clicked on that link on my desk top the pot
looked to be teal. I just looked at it on my laptop and it is definitely
blue.