Old 09-01-2019, 11:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Circulon pot quality

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 1:22:06 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 dsi1 wrote:

The bottom does not appear to be aluminum and it quite hard. It has an interesting swirled finish.
It looks like it was hit with a large wire brush. There are no manufacture's marks.
It has "Made in France" in small letters inside the folded metal handle.

French pans are Faggot or Bi pans... like Greek style cookware....
whatever you do back up to a wall at a gyro joint.

You are the expert on the *** life and maybe you know a little about the French. All I know is that this pan is invisible to my range and that it's quite beautiful.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 5:25:05 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:

Sounds like yoose have a lot of experience Popeye. Izzat why yoose walk
bowlegged?

It's the worst job in the history of Usenet of someone trying to convince people that they're straight. There's nothing wrong with being *** but does denying who you are at the expense of others mean you're a bad person? Why yes, it does.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , says...

On 2019-01-08 10:27 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:
On 1/8/2019 11:50 AM, Nancy2 wrote:

Notbob, there is another way to clean the polished stainless steel,
like the All-Clad frypan
my DIL was going to throw out because she let a silicone scraper melt
in the bottom.

I went out to the Harley-Davidson dealer and got a small supply of a
product that will take
melted rubber or a synthetic rubber-like substance off an exhaust pipe
(like if a rubber protective
pad from a cycle suit got up against a hot exhaust pipe).

It took a lot of elbow grease, but the scraper residue all came off.
And the finish looked like new,
and the pan is still as non-stick as it was originally.* Ta-dah!
Magic!* ;-))

An All Clad pan is worth fighting for.

Certainly true as All Clad is still being made in the US and not China!
All of my pans were made in Denmark, France or Italy. It's difficult to
find good bakeware these days that's not made in China but I have some
Chicago Metallic that is of superb quality.

I'm not into brands but will look for beautiful design and execution and appropriate construction. My brother asked me if I wanted some of his pans. I chose a beautiful stainless steel saucepan with a lid. It's well made with a flared rim rather than a rolled one and has a solid steel slug bonded somehow to the bottom. I wanted to make some sauce last night and when I turned the heat on, I got a big fat zero. My induction range sensed that pan as not existing. That's

the breaks.

Probably a big aluminum slug bonded to the bottom, then. Maybe with a
little stainless on the outside for appearance.

Cindy Hamilton

There's "stainless" and "stainless". If a magnet will stick to it, then
induction will work. My older S/S pots wouldn't work with induction
whereas my newer ones will and have a symbol stamped on the base.

My ss pans have a copper base.

Janet UK

All stainless steel pans should have a copper base - but they don't. Well, unless they're going to be used for induction. That is, unless you have an induction burner that works with non-ferrous metals.

Here's my new pot. I think it's pretty damn pretty

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...n9hzYYnPtYtjbH
Old 10-01-2019, 05:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 10:59:52 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

Here's my new pot. I think it's pretty damn pretty

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...n9hzYYnPtYtjbH

Pretty teal color!

Old 10-01-2019, 07:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 1:22:52 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
===

Yer just too modern ... ;p

Induction is the future of home cooking. You can take that to the bank. Hee
hee. The good news is that they're making induction ready, non-stick steel
frying pans. It had to find pans of that construction but the times they are
a-changin'.

==

Very true

Old 10-01-2019, 07:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-08 10:27 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:
[...]

I certainly is Do you have an oven you can use it in?

Old 10-01-2019, 07:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 7:07:03 PM UTC-10, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 10:59:52 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

Here's my new pot. I think it's pretty damn pretty

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...n9hzYYnPtYtjbH

Pretty teal color!

To me it's blue but I like the word "teal.' Hopefully, I get to use it at least once before I die.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 9:31:42 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

I certainly is Do you have an oven you can use it in?

Probably not because it's made of plastic. It's actually a Japanese style lunch box. On the lid it says "Enjoy Your Meal" and "Le Temps Heureux" - The happy times.

I'll use it soon.

Tonight I made and packed up rafute - braised Okinawan shoyu pork belly and some slaw dressed with Japan mayo, oyster sauce, and some spicy ketchup. Boy, that's some tasty stuff!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...dxd-FnlVBIq04K
Old 10-01-2019, 09:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 9:31:42 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

I certainly is Do you have an oven you can use it in?

Probably not because it's made of plastic. It's actually a Japanese style
lunch box. On the lid it says "Enjoy Your Meal" and "Le Temps Heureux" - The
happy times.

I'll use it soon.

Tonight I made and packed up rafute - braised Okinawan shoyu pork belly and
some slaw dressed with Japan mayo, oyster sauce, and some spicy ketchup.
Boy, that's some tasty stuff!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...dxd-FnlVBIq04K

==

That looks good I made a Stir fry chop suey and it was good. No pics
though I will have to try to remember to take some.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-08 10:27 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:
[...]

The bottom does not appear to be aluminum and it quite hard. It has an interesting swirled finish. It looks like it was hit with a large wire brush. There are no manufacture's marks. It has "Made in France" in small letters inside the folded metal handle. That's all there is.

If it has a thin layer of steel over an aluminum disc, then it would
not _appear_ to be aluminum, yet it would not have sufficient ferrous
content to respond to induction. What happens when you try to adhere
a magnet to the bottom?

Cindy Hamilton

Old 10-01-2019, 11:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 11:59:52 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 1:26:37 PM UTC-10, Janet wrote:

There's "stainless" and "stainless". If a magnet will stick to it, then
induction will work. My older S/S pots wouldn't work with induction
whereas my newer ones will and have a symbol stamped on the base.

My ss pans have a copper base.

Janet UK

All stainless steel pans should have a copper base - but they don't.

No, they shouldn't. They should have whatever the owner feels is
most useful. In my case, that's aluminum.

Well, unless they're going to be used for induction. That is, unless you have an induction burner that works with non-ferrous metals.

Here's my new pot. I think it's pretty damn pretty

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...n9hzYYnPtYtjbH

It is quite pretty.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 10-01-2019, 04:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 11:40:56 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 9:31:42 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

I certainly is Do you have an oven you can use it in?

Probably not because it's made of plastic. It's actually a Japanese style
lunch box. On the lid it says "Enjoy Your Meal" and "Le Temps Heureux" - The
happy times.

I'll use it soon.

Tonight I made and packed up rafute - braised Okinawan shoyu pork belly and
some slaw dressed with Japan mayo, oyster sauce, and some spicy ketchup.
Boy, that's some tasty stuff!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...dxd-FnlVBIq04K

==

That looks good I made a Stir fry chop suey and it was good. No pics
though I will have to try to remember to take some.

What was in the chop suey? I like stir fry stuff. Thanks.

On 2019-01-08 10:27 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:
[...]

The base is a very hard metal and it's non-magnetic. The reason I got it was because it appears to have a non-clad, non sandwich, construction i.e., no aluminum. Unfortunately, it's made of non-magnetic stainless steel.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

[...]

STIR FRY CHICKEN CHOP SUEY

chicken sliced
bicarb
Toss together and leave for 20 minutes

Mix in together in bowl
cornflour
light soy

Add:
Oyster sauce
Chinese cooking wine
sesame oil
water
Mix together.

Chop:
garlic
onions
stems pak choy stems
med carrot
sliced mushrooms

Rinse and chop chicken into slices

Heat oil, add garlic and onions. Cook 1 minute
Add chicken and cook 1 minute
Add chopped veg stir fry 1 minute
Add sauce and green tops.