Old 12-01-2019, 02:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Circulon pot quality

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 10:55:25 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 11:37:09 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

"dsi1" wrote
What the heck is sticky tofu salad?

==
https://realfood.tesco.com/gallery/1...1SIlCd0Wixz.99

it is in among these! As you will guess, I will be leaving out the papaya

Why not the papaya? Don't like that either?
I AM surprised that you would use the TBS of sesame oil
though as you two tend to like bland recipes.
==

We like a lot of stuff that is not bland. Not bland doesn't have to mean
spicy.

Incidentally, we don't say papaya is bland, we just don't like it!

If that is ok with you...

FWIW, it's ok with me. I don't like tropical fruit, except for citrus.

I love mango, rambutan, lychee. I wouldn't call citrus tropical.
Oranges in the Netherlands tend to come from Spain, which is hardly
tropical. I'm not even sure if it's subtropical. Maybe. Maybe I'm
nitpicking.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 18:53:48 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
wrote:

dsi1 wrote:
On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 12:33:47 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

! is right. What the heck is sticky tofu salad?

=

https://realfood.tesco.com/gallery/1...1SIlCd0Wixz.99

it is in among these! As you will guess, I will be leaving out the papaya

Thanks for the link. It is really sticky!

The old folks on this rock really like papaya. They seem to have a
biological need to eat the stuff. It is an interesting phenomenon and
bears investigation as to why that is. I used to have to buy papaya for
my mother-in-law constantly, it used to be one of the few foods she could handle.

We have a papaya tree in one of our yards. For the life of me, I have yet
to figure out why people like it. Smells like vomit to me.

Yes, that's what i just posted about! Our papayas smell and taste
faintly like vomit. But equally ripe papayas from another papaya tree
are quite nice, a bit like calmed down mangos. There must be different
strains. I guess this is where the Latin names come in. Papaya
Variegata "Mrs. Jones backyard".
Old 12-01-2019, 02:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 11:44:29 -0800 (PST), dsi1
wrote:

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 8:53:51 AM UTC-10, Jinx the Minx wrote:

We have a papaya tree in one of our yards. For the life of me, I have yet
to figure out why people like it. Smells like vomit to me. DH loves it, so
not too many go to rot on the ground.

This morning I had a Stone Cookie from Mt. View Bakery. It is likely that you\
wouldn't be able to figure out why people like this rock hard
cookie/biscuit. My wife and I can't figure out why people like them.
I had one, she had two. Most people will dip it in coffee or cocoa to
soften it up some. I'm a macho kind of guy so I just attack it
commando style.

You mean without wearing underwear?
Old 12-01-2019, 02:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-11 7:31 p.m., Bruce wrote:

I love mango, rambutan, lychee. I wouldn't call citrus tropical.
Oranges in the Netherlands tend to come from Spain, which is hardly
tropical. I'm not even sure if it's subtropical. Maybe. Maybe I'm
nitpicking.

No! They grow in warm temperate and Mediterranean climates.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 10:28:07 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 8:53:51 AM UTC-10, Jinx the Minx wrote:

We have a papaya tree in one of our yards. For the life of me, I have
yet
to figure out why people like it. Smells like vomit to me. DH loves it,
so
not too many go to rot on the ground.

This morning I had a Stone Cookie from Mt. View Bakery. It is likely that
you wouldn't be able to figure out why people like this rock hard
cookie/biscuit. My wife and I can't figure out why people like them. I had
one, she had two. Most people will dip it in coffee or cocoa to soften it
up
some. I'm a macho kind of guy so I just attack it commando style.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...hGzvkPc9__Wj39

==

Blimey!

Years ago, I ordered several bags of cookies from Mt. View Bakery through
the phone. The lady taking my order said she'd mail it right out. I got the
distinct impression that she was going to walk my order to the post office.

"Do you want my card number?"

"No, we'll send you the bill."

I got the cookies with the invoice and so I mailed a check right off. That's
Hawaiians for you. Is it any wonder that they got their land stolen right
from under their feet? No it isn't.

It is a long time since I have seen anything like that!
These days it is always the 'card'.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2011/...is-own-recipe/

That looks like a rock. Watch your teeth!!

Old 12-01-2019, 07:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 10:30:36 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 9:50:20 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 8:54:51 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 12:33:47 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
"dsi1" wrote in message

Yers that looks good, but everything you show does, but ... even
without
the
chili pepper flakes and cumin ... it would certainly flip my wig

My wife had kim chee ramen. That was pretty spicy. We like our
foods
with
bang-bang, boom-boom.

==

It is just as well you both like wig flipping ...

I got some firm tofu yesterday, so today I will make "Sticky tofu
salad"!

! is right. What the heck is sticky tofu salad?

==

https://realfood.tesco.com/gallery/1...1SIlCd0Wixz.99

it is in among these! As you will guess, I will be leaving out the
papaya

Thanks for the link. It is really sticky!

The old folks on this rock really like papaya. They seem to have a
biological need to eat the stuff. It is an interesting phenomenon and
bears
investigation as to why that is. I used to have to buy papaya for my
mother-in-law constantly, it used to be one of the few foods she could
handle.

==

That sounds good then)

Green papaya is rich in papain which is a powerful digestive enzyme.
OTOH,
the papaya as eaten here has less of it. You'd think people here would
eat
more green papaya but that's not the case. The oldsters need to eat ripe
papaya should be investigated.

===

Ahh but will they like it with sticky tofu!!

I have some reservations about putting honey on tofu but I can guarantee
you
that we'll love gado gado! I've fried tofu before but it never occurred to
me to marinate it with an intense paste then coat with a starch and fry.
That's some new territory right there.
==

If you do, please report back? It is all new to me too)

I will! Google says that I've exceeded the posting limits so it might be
while. Bless their little hearts!

==

Oh dear. I hadn't heard of that

Old 12-01-2019, 07:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

[...]

Lol waste not want not ;p

Im fine feeding the squirrels and birds with it. :-)

==

Jolly good)

Old 12-01-2019, 07:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 10:33:26 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"dsi1" wrote in message

Yers that looks good, but everything you show does, but ... even
without
the
chili pepper flakes and cumin ... it would certainly flip my wig ...

My wife had kim chee ramen. That was pretty spicy. We like our foods with
bang-bang, boom-boom.

==

It is just as well you both like wig flipping ...

I got some firm tofu yesterday, so today I will make "Sticky tofu salad"!

! is right. What the heck is sticky tofu salad?

==

https://realfood.tesco.com/gallery/1...1SIlCd0Wixz.99

it is in among these! As you will guess, I will be leaving out the papaya

But it's not spicy.

I never said it was ;p

Actually, we have a papaya tree and so do my inlaws. Ours taste and
smell a bit pukey when ripe. Theirs taste nice. I wonder where that
difference comes from.

That's interesting. Maybe a different type?

Old 12-01-2019, 07:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

[...]

---

Never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;p

Old 12-01-2019, 07:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Must be. There are yellow ones and red ones, I believe. But in this
case, they're both yellow.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 5:55:53 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
Dsi1, I have never had that message from Google. Are you sure it isn't from your wifi provider?

N.

I've had that same message. If I take off an hour or so, I can post
again.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 12-01-2019, 01:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

dsi1 wrote:
[...]

Ours grew wild, so I have no idea about different strains. I was
surprised how fast it grew from seed and was able to bear fruit. On my
bucket list for this year is to plant a few more fruit trees, preferably
exotic, but I have to decide what exactly those will be. We also currently
have a couple banana trees and pineapple bushes, and the neighbor has
avocado and lime trees that grow over the fence and produce prolifically so
no need for those.

Old 12-01-2019, 04:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

You must live in the subtropics, like us. Banana's popular here, but
there's a restriction to do with a banana plant disease. Not sure. We
have 1 or more of lychee, custard apple, persimmon, loquat, avocado,
lime, lemon, orange, mandarin, lemonade, macadamia, olive, jaboticaba.

They don't all produce yet, though. I've been pampering the lychee
tree because it wasn't going anywhere without help. It's now trying to
produce 1 lychee
Old 12-01-2019, 05:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Not exactly the subtropics, but coastal south Florida. Part of the time,
anyway. Most of the year I live in the cold tundra of Minnesota, where
apples abound but thats pretty much it in terms of fruit trees. Plums,
pears and tart cherries grow here as well, but theyre not too common. You
threw a couple new ones at me€”Ive never before heard of jaboticaba, and
loquat only rings the faintest of bells. Ill have to investigate their
viability. We might be in too wet of an area for olives, but Id love to
grow them.