FoodBanter.com

-   -   Sink stopper (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/445501-sink-stopper.html)

KenK 04-01-2019 06:12 PM

Sink stopper

Recently I can't seem to find a kitchen sink stopper that will stay open,
allowing the water to drain. They are hard to set open securely and don't
stay that way. Never had this problem before. Anyone else? Anyone find a
brand that works right? Maybe I just need to use an old-fashioned rubber
stopper when I need to stop the flow and let the food scraps go down the
drain.

Suggestions?

TIA

[email protected][_2_] 04-01-2019 07:54 PM

Sink stopper

On Friday, January 4, 2019 at 12:12:08 PM UTC-6, KenK wrote:

Recently I can't seem to find a kitchen sink stopper that will stay open,
allowing the water to drain. They are hard to set open securely and don't
stay that way. Never had this problem before. Anyone else? Anyone find a
brand that works right? Maybe I just need to use an old-fashioned rubber
stopper when I need to stop the flow and let the food scraps go down the
drain.

Suggestions?

TIA

When I'm pretty sure there might be some bits heading down the drain pipe,
I just slightly lift the stopper up and turn it ever so slightly on its'
side. The water is able to drain away while catching any small bits that
don't need to go down the drain. Once the water is gone then I can take
the strainer out and dump the junk in the trash can.

songbird 04-01-2019 10:37 PM

Sink stopper

KenK wrote:
Recently I can't seem to find a kitchen sink stopper that will stay open,
allowing the water to drain. They are hard to set open securely and don't
stay that way. Never had this problem before. Anyone else? Anyone find a
brand that works right? Maybe I just need to use an old-fashioned rubber
stopper when I need to stop the flow and let the food scraps go down the
drain.

Suggestions?

the ones we have are fairly inexpensive stainless
steel that have a spring steel like clip which looks
like for the center part so i can pull them up a
little and they'll stay in place but also still drain.

got them with the drain replacements when i redid
the sink. at Home Despot.

if i'm in more of a hurry i can pull them and turn
them upside down which still catches stuff.

songbird

Taxed and Spent 04-01-2019 11:18 PM

Sink stopper

On 1/4/2019 10:12 AM, KenK wrote:
Recently I can't seem to find a kitchen sink stopper that will stay open,
allowing the water to drain. They are hard to set open securely and don't
stay that way. Never had this problem before. Anyone else? Anyone find a
brand that works right? Maybe I just need to use an old-fashioned rubber
stopper when I need to stop the flow and let the food scraps go down the
drain.

Suggestions?

TIA

I gave up 20 years ago and ripped the guts out and use a rubber sink
stopper. Holds the water and drains like a fire hose.

cshenk 05-01-2019 01:08 AM

Sink stopper

KenK wrote:

Recently I can't seem to find a kitchen sink stopper that will stay
open, allowing the water to drain. They are hard to set open securely
and don't stay that way. Never had this problem before. Anyone else?
Anyone find a brand that works right? Maybe I just need to use an
old-fashioned rubber stopper when I need to stop the flow and let the
food scraps go down the drain.

Suggestions?

TIA

Ken, I use strainers in the sink. Simple wire mesh ones you drop in
the dishwasher as needed.

Julie Bove[_2_] 05-01-2019 09:06 AM

Sink stopper

"KenK" wrote in message
Recently I can't seem to find a kitchen sink stopper that will stay open,
allowing the water to drain. They are hard to set open securely and don't
stay that way. Never had this problem before. Anyone else? Anyone find a
brand that works right? Maybe I just need to use an old-fashioned rubber
stopper when I need to stop the flow and let the food scraps go down the
drain.

Suggestions?

TIA

Sorry. I never use a stopper.

jmcquown[_2_] 05-01-2019 11:06 PM

Sink stopper

On 1/4/2019 1:12 PM, KenK wrote:
Recently I can't seem to find a kitchen sink stopper that will stay open,
allowing the water to drain.

What the heck is the point of a stopper that allows water to drain?

Jill

[email protected][_2_] 05-01-2019 11:44 PM

Sink stopper

On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 5:07:04 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:

On 1/4/2019 1:12 PM, KenK wrote:

Recently I can't seem to find a kitchen sink stopper that will stay open,
allowing the water to drain.

What the heck is the point of a stopper that allows water to drain?

Jill

I think he's wanting one that will allow the water to drain while catching
any bits of food that didn't hit the trash can.

Dave Smith[_1_] 05-01-2019 11:45 PM

Sink stopper

On 2019-01-05 6:06 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 1/4/2019 1:12 PM, KenK wrote:
Recently I can't seem to find a kitchen sink stopper that will stay open,
allowing the water to drain.

What the heck is the point of a stopper that allows water to drain?

It allows the water to drain and the strainer to catch the bits you
don't want to get down into the pipes where it can cause a clog.

[email protected][_2_] 05-01-2019 11:46 PM

Sink stopper

On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 3:06:47 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

"KenK" wrote in message

Suggestions?

TIA

Sorry. I never use a stopper.

So why did you answer, Julie Kuthe? You had no suggestion but felt the need
to chime in with more of your helpful advice?

jmcquown[_2_] 06-01-2019 12:23 AM

Sink stopper

On 2019-01-05 6:06 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 1/4/2019 1:12 PM, KenK wrote:
Recently I can't seem to find a kitchen sink stopper that will stay
open,
allowing the water to drain.

What the heck is the point of a stopper that allows water to drain?

It allows the water to drain and the strainer to catch the bits you
don't want to get down into the pipes where it can cause a clog.

I have one that fits over the garbage disposal... but I rarely want it
to trap things that I *don't* want going into the disposal.

Jill

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 06-01-2019 11:27 AM

Sink stopper

On 2019-01-05 6:06 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 1/4/2019 1:12 PM, KenK wrote:
Recently I can't seem to find a kitchen sink stopper that will stay
open,
allowing the water to drain.

What the heck is the point of a stopper that allows water to drain?

It allows the water to drain and the strainer to catch the bits you
don't want to get down into the pipes where it can cause a clog.

I have one that fits over the garbage disposal... but I rarely want it
to trap things that I *don't* want going into the disposal.

Jill

Clearly, KenK doesn't have a garbage disposal.

Cindy Hamilton

jmcquown[_2_] 06-01-2019 02:53 PM

Sink stopper

On 2019-01-05 6:06 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 1/4/2019 1:12 PM, KenK wrote:
Recently I can't seem to find a kitchen sink stopper that will stay
open,
allowing the water to drain.

What the heck is the point of a stopper that allows water to drain?

It allows the water to drain and the strainer to catch the bits you
don't want to get down into the pipes where it can cause a clog.

I have one that fits over the garbage disposal... but I rarely want it
to trap things that I *don't* want going into the disposal.

Jill

Clearly, KenK doesn't have a garbage disposal.

Cindy Hamilton

Apparently it wasn't very clear to me, which is why I asked the
question. I have a dual sink and two different stoppers but they both
fit in either drain. One that has a strainer and allows water to drain
but catches the bits and a wide rubber stopper. I couldn't tell him
what brands they are.

Jill

[email protected] 06-01-2019 09:07 PM

Sink stopper

On 2019-01-05 6:06 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 1/4/2019 1:12 PM, KenK wrote:
[...]

Most any hardware store will sell various types/sizes. Kitchen sink
drains usually have piece in the drain with a sloted hole in it so if
the drain strainer is turned 90 it will either raise the basket to
drain or lower the basket to seal. Some drain baskets have a built in
rubber stopper that can be raised to drain or lowered to seal. If he
posted a picture of the inside of his drain I could offer more
information. He also needs to measure the inside diameter of the
drain opening as those baskets come in different diameters. If he
knows the sink brand and model number a plumbing supply store can look
it up and sell him the correct stopper... or contact the sink
manufacturer and they will know what's needed, most times they'll send
a replacement gratis, I know that Koehler will supply parts for free.
to the original purchaser, as will most major suppliers.
The answer to the question is really a no-brainer.

On 2019-01-05 6:06 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 1/4/2019 1:12 PM, KenK wrote:
[...]

And dat's zactly why we needs yoose Popeye!