Old 07-01-2019, 04:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sink stopper

My experience over the decades I have lived with a half dozen or so sinks, is that a stainless
adjustable (open or closed) stopper that has small holes or slots in it for water to go through
when it is on an "open" setting, is that so far, they have all been a standard size. All of them.
OTOH, I have always had a double sink, with garbage disposal on one side. I used to buy
new ones at KMart. Now that they have closed, I will go to Ace Hardware. I have never
purchased one that did not fit, although I did mistakenly once purchase one that was only a
stopper, and didn't have the ability to stay open unless I tipped it at a slant in the drain.

N.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 19:40:28 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
wrote:

My experience over the decades I have lived with a half dozen or so sinks, is that a stainless
adjustable (open or closed) stopper that has small holes or slots in it for water to go through
when it is on an "open" setting, is that so far, they have all been a standard size. All of them.
OTOH, I have always had a double sink, with garbage disposal on one side. I used to buy
new ones at KMart. Now that they have closed, I will go to Ace Hardware. I have never
purchased one that did not fit, although I did mistakenly once purchase one that was only a
stopper, and didn't have the ability to stay open unless I tipped it at a slant in the drain.

N.

When I replaced mine I did so at a hardware store and took the old one
which worked extremely well in its day, with me. I matched it almost
exactly and the replacement is doing well.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/6/2019 10:40 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
My experience over the decades I have lived with a half dozen or so sinks, is that a stainless
adjustable (open or closed) stopper that has small holes or slots in it for water to go through
when it is on an "open" setting, is that so far, they have all been a standard size. All of them.
OTOH, I have always had a double sink, with garbage disposal on one side. I used to buy
new ones at KMart. Now that they have closed, I will go to Ace Hardware. I have never
purchased one that did not fit, although I did mistakenly once purchase one that was only a
stopper, and didn't have the ability to stay open unless I tipped it at a slant in the drain.

N.

Veering a bit off topic but still about sink stoppers, last year I had
the pesky pop-up stoppers in my bathroom sinks disconnected and bought
good old fashioned rubber stoppers. I got tired of dealing with
slow/clogged drains in the bathroom sinks. Products like Drain-O and
Liquid Plumr were a waste of money. Despite what online videos show,
the Zip-It drain cleaning tool was hindered by the pop-up mechanism. No
longer a worry. Those little rubber stoppers make things so much
easier! I went to a local hardware store and was surprised by all the
different sizes of bathroom sink stoppers. I needed a 1-1/4" (very
small) stopper.

Jill
Old 07-01-2019, 04:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 9:58:19 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
[...]

Except when cleaning the sink, I never use the stopper. Even then, I
close the stopper only to conveniently clean the stopper itself.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 07-01-2019, 05:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 07:04:34 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

[...]

There are stainless steel wire mesh screens that can cover the drain
hole to prevent hair from causing clogs. My wife has long hair that
sometimes breaks off that would otherwise clog the sink.... Amazon has
those screens. The screen lifts off so the original stopper can be
used... there are several styles:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=2CKZOEUK9KWNV
We have this one and it works very well, as you can see it's available
in a few different sizes, and the screen is easy to form with a
finger:
https://www.amazon.com/Bathroom-Lava...screens+1+inch
These screens save a lot of grief having to fish hair from the drains,
or paying a plumber... before ordering the screens I ordered a 10"
long ss tweezer and struggled with cleaning drains and needed to use a
flashlight to see down the drains. The drain screen eliminated the
problem.... will also prevent losing jewelry and contact lenses. The
only time I use the original stopper is for shaving.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2019 10:04 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

That's kind of why I hated those built-in stoppers. They just got in
the way and let crud build up in the drain which led to clogs. I rarely
need to use a stopper in the bathroom sink.

Jill
Old 07-01-2019, 05:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-07 9:41 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I agree! Both the pop-up and the plunger types clog up too easily.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2019 11:46 AM, graham wrote:
On 2019-01-07 9:41 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Ditto. Too hard to keep clear of clogs. Years ago I used to hand wash
hosiery and 'delicates' in the bathroom sink. There was no other reason
to have a bathroom sink stopper. I always take off my jewelry before
washing my face or brushing my teeth. I make sure I never set jewelry
anywhere near the sink.

Jill
Old 07-01-2019, 06:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in
news
On 1/4/2019 1:12 PM, KenK wrote:
Recently I can't seem to find a kitchen sink stopper that will stay
open, allowing the water to drain.

What the heck is the point of a stopper that allows water to drain?

Jill

Sorry. I used the wrong word. I should have said sink strainer I guess.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-07 9:41 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Obviously you don't shave. LOL
We have a screen over the drain, only time I remove the screen and
place the stopper back is when I shave.
I have the stopper disconnected from the plunger thingie so it just
pulls out after I finish shaving and the screen goes back. When not
used the stopper lives in a top vanity drawer with all my toilet
stuff, which isn't much. My wife has all the other five drawers and
they are full... she has tried to steal half of my one drawer but no
way.

I always take off my jewelry before
washing my face or brushing my teeth. I make sure I never set jewelry
anywhere near the sink.

Jill

That's smart. I don't wear jewelry at home, I spend too much time at
the kitchen sink.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Jan 2019 17:55:20 GMT, KenK wrote:

jmcquown wrote in
news
On 1/4/2019 1:12 PM, KenK wrote:
Recently I can't seem to find a kitchen sink stopper that will stay
open, allowing the water to drain.

What the heck is the point of a stopper that allows water to drain?

Jill

Sorry. I used the wrong word. I should have said sink strainer I guess.

My kitchen sink has a strainer that can be open or closed but it's
very rare that I fill that over sized sink, I use a plastic dish pan.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 2:03:05 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

Obviously you don't shave. LOL

My husband shaves in the shower. It's not for everybody, but it works
for him. He holds a plastic mirror in one hand while he shaves around
his beard. Been doing it that way for at least 33 years.

Cindy Hamilton

Old 07-01-2019, 09:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 2:03:05 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

Obviously you don't shave. LOL

My husband shaves in the shower. It's not for everybody, but it works
for him. He holds a plastic mirror in one hand while he shaves around
his beard. Been doing it that way for at least 33 years.

Cindy Hamilton

Does he shave his nuts that way too?

https://www.manscaped.com/

Jill
Old 07-01-2019, 10:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-07 9:41 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Not in the bathroom sink!

We have a screen over the drain, only time I remove the screen and
place the stopper back is when I shave.
I have the stopper disconnected from the plunger thingie so it just
pulls out after I finish shaving and the screen goes back. When not
used the stopper lives in a top vanity drawer with all my toilet
stuff, which isn't much. My wife has all the other five drawers and
they are full... she has tried to steal half of my one drawer but no
way.

I always take off my jewelry before
washing my face or brushing my teeth. I make sure I never set jewelry
anywhere near the sink.

Jill

That's smart. I don't wear jewelry at home, I spend too much time at
the kitchen sink.

I take my rings off before doing anything in the kitchen. I posted
something last year about that. I see women on cooking shows mixing
things with their hands and they always have rings on. I can't imagine
them not getting all gunked up. I always take them off. Just don't set
them anywhere near the sink.

Jill
Old 07-01-2019, 11:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2019 2:46 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 2:03:05 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

Obviously you don't shave. LOL

My husband shaves in the shower. It's not for everybody, but it works
for him. He holds a plastic mirror in one hand while he shaves around
his beard. Been doing it that way for at least 33 years.

Cindy Hamilton

Maybe you should get one of those hanging shower mirrors for him.

When I had to shave my legs I shaved in the shower. Or I used an
electric razor (obviously not near water!). I'm fair haired and as I've
gotten older I've found I don't have hair on my legs anymore. I do
still have to shave my oxters but I do that in the shower.

Jill

Wierd Stopper Fred[_2_] Wine 3 05-12-2010 06:19 AM
The new Duval-Leroy Champagne Stopper pavane[_3_] Wine 12 13-06-2009 04:07 PM
Sink Poll - are you a double or single bowler? What is your Dream sink? :-) jj General Cooking 23 27-02-2009 08:36 PM
HELP! Pushed the rubber stopper into the carboy, now what? Mememe Winemaking 6 07-12-2005 04:43 AM
Missing stopper & air lock GW Winemaking 3 20-01-2004 10:47 PM