Old 10-01-2019, 03:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default egg cooker question

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 12:26:29 -0800 (PST), Nancy2 wrote:

You have taken a position with no knowledg of the small appliance we are talking about, and
that position is one of ignorance about that appliance, and now are too stubborn to quit
and say you were mistaken. It's a sorry position.

I'm not mistaken at all. My mother used to have an egg cooker, as I
implied in a previous post. I had used it a couple times and was
glad when I accidentally dropped it on the floor and broke it. As
it wasn't taking up valuable counter space and I didn't have to drag
it out of the cupboard when she needed it. Using the egg cooker is
no more convenient than using a pan. And the pan is infinitely more
useful.

I think we can call this argument over, if not a truce.

-sw

Old 10-01-2019, 04:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default All this talk of eggs. - Was: egg cooker question

On 1/9/2019 3:03 PM, l not -l wrote:
On 9-Jan-2019, wrote:

Egg salad on toast...any kind of bread, but I love it on rye...is really
tasty, if
one likes egg salad. ;-))

Yum, toated rye. I'm getting closer to deciding how to use the last two hb
eggs.

I had toasted rye for breakfast this morning, with butter and honey.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2019 11:34 AM, jmcquown wrote:
On 1/9/2019 11:12 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Wed 09 Jan 2019 05:52:12a, l not -l told us...

This thread put me in the mood for hard boiled/cooked eggs; there
were just 4 eggs left in the carton and that would be enough to
satisfy.** I am a steamer, but not evangelistic about it; I simply
prefer multi-purpose vs single-purpose tools and a steamer works
for me.

I steamed the 4 eggs to hard cooked and cooled them in an ice bath
of a full tray of rectangular cubes.* Any one who uses anything
but old-fashioned rectangular cubes is an idiot and should be
flogged,* Just kidding.

Two of the eggs were used to make a satisfying, though long
overlooked, breakfast of creamed eggs on toast.* I had almost
forgotten how good that could be on a chilly morning, with a cup
of steaming coffee.* Ah!!

The two remaining eggs will either become egg salad or will be
sliced and added to a salad.

Whatever method employed to make them, hard boiled eggs can be
tasty, versatile eats

I have only two uses for hard boiled eggs.* I make either egg salad or
devilled eggs.* I don't like them added to anything else and I don't
like them on their own.* FOr example, adding hard boiled eggs to potato
salad totally ruins it for me.

We all have our preferences.* I don't like egg salad or devilled eggs so
I never purposefully set out to hard boil them.

Jill

Yep, I like them in any form and add them to potato salad
Old 10-01-2019, 06:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:
On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 8:03:24 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:

Still speaking of HB eggs.... Does anyone remember the hard boiled
eggs with Russian (or French) dressing from the 50's - the mid 70's?
They appeared on menus at Woolworth's all the way up top semi-fine
dining.

That was my brunch today.

https://i.postimg.cc/CKL9jXRt/Hard-B...n-Dressing.jpg

I peeled 8 eggs in 37 seconds using the boil method. No gadgets
required.

-sw

I don't remember that dish but dang it, I'm going to have boil eggs tomorrow
to top a bunch of salad ingredients I bought today. All this talk of eggs,
egg cookers, boiling water, etc. has sent my craving into high gear.

two visits to the store ago I forgot eggs - I never forget eggs -
I always have eggs

and I left my wallet at home for the return visit

I need a vacation

Old 10-01-2019, 07:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 12:02:51 PM UTC-6, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I never at devilled eggs except for my grandmother's, until I asked
her specifically why she put in the filling. After learning that I
made them for myself, and I was always tempted to eat a plate full.
:-)

I believe I could make an entire meal out of deviled eggs. L-O-V-E them.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 8:22:32 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 12:26:29 -0800 (PST), Nancy2 wrote:

You have taken a position with no knowledg of the small appliance we are talking about, and
that position is one of ignorance about that appliance, and now are too stubborn to quit
and say you were mistaken. It's a sorry position.

I'm not mistaken at all. My mother used to have an egg cooker, as I
implied in a previous post. I had used it a couple times and was
glad when I accidentally dropped it on the floor and broke it. As
it wasn't taking up valuable counter space and I didn't have to drag
it out of the cupboard when she needed it. Using the egg cooker is
no more convenient than using a pan. And the pan is infinitely more
useful.

I think we can call this argument over, if not a truce.

-sw

I'll agree to a truce, with a couple final points: it takes a lot more water to boil eggs on top the stove, and a pot to do it with takes up more space in a cupboard than an egg cooker. Second, it takes a lot more energy to boil a pot of water than it does for a cooker to do its thing.

There, I'm finished. ;-)

N.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 9:02:47 AM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:
[...]

If you had an automatic rice cooker you could probably do the same thing. Use a steamer basket and the same amount of water. It is unfortunate that my daughter threw out my beautiful rice cooker else I would be steaming eggs at this very moment.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 11:02:43 -0800 (PST), Nancy2 wrote:

[...]

OK, fine, I'll argue this some more since you brought up energy vs.
cost of egg cooker....

[resisting temptation] Oh, fuggit - I'll let you have the last word ;-)

-sw
Old 10-01-2019, 09:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 11:12:18 -0800 (PST), dsi1
wrote:

[...]

I much prefer an ordinary pot for cooking rice... and I can use the
same pot to boil eggs, and I do... that 2 qt Farberware pot is the
only pot that lives on my stove... that one pot is used to cook many
other things.

BTW, I can't only read a small portion of your's and nancy2's posts...
one day yoose may fix your word wrap... how ironic that yoose are
touting automatic cookery.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Wait until you see a post by Greg Morrow, where he quotes an entire
article with endless lines. Screen pollution.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 1:10:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 12:02:51 PM UTC-6, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I never at devilled eggs except for my grandmother's, until I asked
her specifically why she put in the filling. After learning that I
made them for myself, and I was always tempted to eat a plate full.
:-)

I believe I could make an entire meal out of deviled eggs. L-O-V-E them.

I sometimes have deviled eggs as the protein part of a meal, but I always
have some crudites along with. It's scarcely a meal if it doesn't have
vegetables.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 10-01-2019, 10:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

It's probably yoose and Popeye's software. I don't have a problem
reading them. See if yoose can find a setting to wrap the lines instead
of having to rely on other people to compose just for yoose.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Of course you can boil eggs in an automatic rice cooker. I've done that. My suggestion is to steam the eggs instead of boiling them. When the measured quantity of water is gone, the cooker turns off or goes into the keep warm mode.

The real irony is that you want me to revert back to computing of the 90's so that you can read my posts easier. I cannot do that because Windows computing is like the dark age for me. It's all like a very bad dream and now I have awoken.

OTOH, I am trying to set up an old Dell notebook to run propitiatory Windows dino-ware. The hardware on this thing is pretty much overwhelmed by Windows. With the original OS installed, I got 4.7 GB left on the 30 GB drive. This means that I don't have enough room on the drive to do the security and Windows update. Jeepers! I can't believe they sold computers like this. The good news is that this computer might be teal in color. Very hip!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...5_GjMCExFGEC7z

Old 10-01-2019, 10:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

It's Google Group's fault. It uses a non standard line length, or no
line length at all, more likely.

I can press a key to make it wrap, so it doesn't run off the screen,
but you're still looking at lines that are the width of your entire
screen.