Old 09-01-2019, 07:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default egg cooker question

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 05:53:09 -0800 (PST), Nancy2 wrote:

Sqwerts, there is NO timer on the cooker. At least on the Oster and Sunbeam cookers,
the degree of doneness is determined by the amount of water that is put in the bottom.
When the water is gone (turned to steam), the cooker turns off. Do a little research
before you criticize.

Then the timer, in this case, involves carefully measuring water
into a graduated a tube - even more complicated than just turning a
dial.

I think both of missed the point. It's still a timer.

-sw

Old 09-01-2019, 07:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default All this talk of eggs. - Was: egg cooker question

Egg salad on toast...any kind of bread, but I love it on rye...is really tasty, if
one likes egg salad. ;-))

N.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9-Jan-2019, songbird wrote:

l not -l wrote:

The two remaining eggs will either become egg salad or will be sliced
and
added to a salad.

Whatever method employed to make them, hard boiled eggs can be tasty,
versatile eats

yes, i happened to be eating egg salad (eggs, mustard,
miracle whip, sliced up homemade dill pickles and pickle
juice) when i read this for brunch.

i don't usually make egg salad the same way every-
time, but it does tend to stay in the themes of diced
onions, green olives, sweet or sour pickles or both
and then mustard, mayo or mw, sometimes i make toast
but more often than not i just eat it without the
bread and butter.

Mine nearly always starts with Kraft or Hellman's Sandwich Spread, which
provides the mayo and relish. After that, it's whatever comes to mind that
day and is on hand. The bread element is also flexible,sometimes toasted,
other times not, occasionally, it's a wrap.

--
"Life is like gymnastics it's better if you're flexible" - Anonymous
Old 09-01-2019, 09:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9-Jan-2019, wrote:

Egg salad on toast...any kind of bread, but I love it on rye...is really
tasty, if
one likes egg salad. ;-))

Yum, toated rye. I'm getting closer to deciding how to use the last two hb
eggs.

--
"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never
sure." - Segal's Law
Old 09-01-2019, 09:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz, you still don't know what you are talking about. There is no "careful measuring
into a tube." The base of the cooker has levels marked. One for soft and poached, and
another for hard boiled. I take a cup of water to the cooker and pour it in until it reaches
the required ring. Then I put the lid on and push in the Start button, and walk away. When the button
pops out with a click, the eggs are done.

What I don't have to do is retrieve a pan and fill it with water and add eggs and watch for it
to boil, time th cooking, and then turn it off, and drain the hot water, and cover the eggs with cold water (or
whatever method of which you ARE an expert), wait for the eggs to cool enough to handle,
drain the water and then peel and do whatever with them.

The cooker requires no pot, no large amounts of water, no watching, and no draining. The
cooker is so much easier.

You have taken a position with no knowledg of the small appliance we are talking about, and
that position is one of ignorance about that appliance, and now are too stubborn to quit
and say you were mistaken. It's a sorry position.

N.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jan 2019 10:50:03 -0500, Gary wrote:

dsi1 wrote:

I like my eggs at around 7 to 8 minutes. It's a little messy though.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...-z5MZiVe40ypeZ

YUM! Nicely semi-cooked egg plus everything else in that bowl.

At least now people will know to call dsi1 "David" rather than
misspelling his nick dsl1, ds1l, dsll, dsii, etc... because they
can't read their own fonts.

And he will now accuse me of "outing" him as "David", just like I
"outed" him when he posted his address - which he JUST DID AGAIN
with the posting of this photo (it's in the EXIF info of the photo:
Latitude: 21.413844 | Longitude: -157.808997).

Bring it on, Davey!

-sw
Old 09-01-2019, 09:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/19 9:30 AM, jmcquown wrote:
The other night I cooked three eggs, no more than medium boiled (one was
still slighly runny) for dinner.* Spooned the eggs from the shells into
a coffee mug, with butter and S&P added.* Mom called it egg-a-cup.* It's
something she made for my breakfast when I was a very little girl.* I
still enjoy it.* I toasted a slice of bakery sourdough bread, lightly
buttered.* It hit the spot.

Eggs done as you describe are perhaps my most favorite way to prepare
them. I don't do it all that often since it requires more effort than
over easy. Hard boiled eggs are not something we do often unless using
up some eggs. They do travel well on road trips in a ziplock with salt
and pepper added to the bag.

jay
Old 09-01-2019, 10:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 1:24:18 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
Egg salad on toast...any kind of bread, but I love it on rye...is really tasty, if
one likes egg salad. ;-))

The rye I get is much too firm for egg salad. Biting into it would cause
the egg salad to squirt out the sides and back.

I prefer fresh white bread, untoasted.

If I want to use hard-boiled eggs, I generally make salad nicoise. However,
sometimes I just get a craving for egg salad or deviled eggs.

Cindy Hamilton

Old 09-01-2019, 10:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 songbird wrote:
l not -l wrote:

The two remaining eggs will either become egg salad or will be sliced and
added to a salad.

Whatever method employed to make them, hard boiled eggs can be tasty,
versatile eats

yes, i happened to be eating egg salad (eggs, mustard,
miracle whip, sliced up homemade dill pickles and pickle
juice) when i read this for brunch.

i don't usually make egg salad the same way every-
time, but it does tend to stay in the themes of diced
onions, green olives, sweet or sour pickles or both
and then mustard, mayo or mw, sometimes i make toast
but more often than not i just eat it without the
bread and butter.

I wouldn't bother making egg salad with less than a half dozen eggs.
I add very finely minced celery, usually some minced fresh dill or
else dried, and Hellmans Sandwich Spread, sometimes a bit of
horseradish for bite. We like egg salad on saltines, a dab of caviar
makes it supreme.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

I like my eggs at around 7 to 8 minutes. It's a little messy though.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...-z5MZiVe40ypeZ

YUM! Nicely semi-cooked egg plus everything else in that bowl.

At least now people will know to call dsi1 "David" rather than
misspelling his nick dsl1, ds1l, dsll, dsii, etc... because they
can't read their own fonts.

And he will now accuse me of "outing" him as "David", just like I
"outed" him when he posted his address - which he JUST DID AGAIN
with the posting of this photo (it's in the EXIF info of the photo:
Latitude: 21.413844 | Longitude: -157.808997).

Bring it on, Davey!

I wonder how sqwertz talks:

https://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/7599607/f21dfc2f/maandje_in_texas_verblijven.html
Old 10-01-2019, 02:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 08:04:47 -0500, Boron Elgar
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 21:00:44 +1100, Bruce
wrote:

Sqwertz and Boron: a match made in heaven. On a deserted island.

You giving up your island?

lol
Old 10-01-2019, 03:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Still speaking of HB eggs.... Does anyone remember the hard boiled
eggs with Russian (or French) dressing from the 50's - the mid 70's?
They appeared on menus at Woolworth's all the way up top semi-fine
dining.

That was my brunch today.

https://i.postimg.cc/CKL9jXRt/Hard-B...n-Dressing.jpg

I peeled 8 eggs in 37 seconds using the boil method. No gadgets
required.

-sw

Old 10-01-2019, 03:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 8:03:24 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:

Still speaking of HB eggs.... Does anyone remember the hard boiled
eggs with Russian (or French) dressing from the 50's - the mid 70's?
They appeared on menus at Woolworth's all the way up top semi-fine
dining.

That was my brunch today.

https://i.postimg.cc/CKL9jXRt/Hard-B...n-Dressing.jpg

I peeled 8 eggs in 37 seconds using the boil method. No gadgets
required.

-sw

I don't remember that dish but dang it, I'm going to have boil eggs tomorrow
to top a bunch of salad ingredients I bought today. All this talk of eggs,
egg cookers, boiling water, etc. has sent my craving into high gear.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 12:26:29 -0800 (PST), Nancy2 wrote:

You have taken a position with no knowledg of the small appliance we are talking about, and
that position is one of ignorance about that appliance, and now are too stubborn to quit
and say you were mistaken. It's a sorry position.

I'm not mistaken at all. My mother used to have an egg cooker, as I
implied in a previous post. I had used it a couple times and was
glad when I accidentally dropped it on the floor and broke it. As
it wasn't taking up valuable counter space and I didn't have to drag
it out of the cupboard when she needed it. Using the egg cooker is
no more convenient than using a pan. And the pan is infinitely more
useful.

I think we can call this argument over, if not a truce.

-sw