Old 09-01-2019, 09:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default egg cooker question

Sqwertz, you still don't know what you are talking about. There is no "careful measuring
into a tube." The base of the cooker has levels marked. One for soft and poached, and
another for hard boiled. I take a cup of water to the cooker and pour it in until it reaches
the required ring. Then I put the lid on and push in the Start button, and walk away. When the button
pops out with a click, the eggs are done.

What I don't have to do is retrieve a pan and fill it with water and add eggs and watch for it
to boil, time th cooking, and then turn it off, and drain the hot water, and cover the eggs with cold water (or
whatever method of which you ARE an expert), wait for the eggs to cool enough to handle,
drain the water and then peel and do whatever with them.

The cooker requires no pot, no large amounts of water, no watching, and no draining. The
cooker is so much easier.

You have taken a position with no knowledg of the small appliance we are talking about, and
that position is one of ignorance about that appliance, and now are too stubborn to quit
and say you were mistaken. It's a sorry position.

N.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jan 2019 10:50:03 -0500, Gary wrote:

dsi1 wrote:

I like my eggs at around 7 to 8 minutes. It's a little messy though.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...-z5MZiVe40ypeZ

YUM! Nicely semi-cooked egg plus everything else in that bowl.

At least now people will know to call dsi1 "David" rather than
misspelling his nick dsl1, ds1l, dsll, dsii, etc... because they
can't read their own fonts.

And he will now accuse me of "outing" him as "David", just like I
"outed" him when he posted his address - which he JUST DID AGAIN
with the posting of this photo (it's in the EXIF info of the photo:
Latitude: 21.413844 | Longitude: -157.808997).

Bring it on, Davey!

-sw
Old 09-01-2019, 09:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default All this talk of eggs. - Was: egg cooker question

On 1/9/19 9:30 AM, jmcquown wrote:
The other night I cooked three eggs, no more than medium boiled (one was
still slighly runny) for dinner.* Spooned the eggs from the shells into
a coffee mug, with butter and S&P added.* Mom called it egg-a-cup.* It's
something she made for my breakfast when I was a very little girl.* I
still enjoy it.* I toasted a slice of bakery sourdough bread, lightly
buttered.* It hit the spot.

Eggs done as you describe are perhaps my most favorite way to prepare
them. I don't do it all that often since it requires more effort than
over easy. Hard boiled eggs are not something we do often unless using
up some eggs. They do travel well on road trips in a ziplock with salt
and pepper added to the bag.

jay
Old 09-01-2019, 10:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 1:24:18 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
Egg salad on toast...any kind of bread, but I love it on rye...is really tasty, if
one likes egg salad. ;-))

The rye I get is much too firm for egg salad. Biting into it would cause
the egg salad to squirt out the sides and back.

I prefer fresh white bread, untoasted.

If I want to use hard-boiled eggs, I generally make salad nicoise. However,
sometimes I just get a craving for egg salad or deviled eggs.

Cindy Hamilton

Old 09-01-2019, 10:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 songbird wrote:
l not -l wrote:

The two remaining eggs will either become egg salad or will be sliced and
added to a salad.

Whatever method employed to make them, hard boiled eggs can be tasty,
versatile eats

yes, i happened to be eating egg salad (eggs, mustard,
miracle whip, sliced up homemade dill pickles and pickle
juice) when i read this for brunch.

i don't usually make egg salad the same way every-
time, but it does tend to stay in the themes of diced
onions, green olives, sweet or sour pickles or both
and then mustard, mayo or mw, sometimes i make toast
but more often than not i just eat it without the
bread and butter.

I wouldn't bother making egg salad with less than a half dozen eggs.
I add very finely minced celery, usually some minced fresh dill or
else dried, and Hellmans Sandwich Spread, sometimes a bit of
horseradish for bite. We like egg salad on saltines, a dab of caviar
makes it supreme.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

I like my eggs at around 7 to 8 minutes. It's a little messy though.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...-z5MZiVe40ypeZ

YUM! Nicely semi-cooked egg plus everything else in that bowl.

At least now people will know to call dsi1 "David" rather than
misspelling his nick dsl1, ds1l, dsll, dsii, etc... because they
can't read their own fonts.

And he will now accuse me of "outing" him as "David", just like I
"outed" him when he posted his address - which he JUST DID AGAIN
with the posting of this photo (it's in the EXIF info of the photo:
Latitude: 21.413844 | Longitude: -157.808997).

Bring it on, Davey!

I wonder how sqwertz talks:

https://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/7599607/f21dfc2f/maandje_in_texas_verblijven.html
Old 10-01-2019, 02:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 08:04:47 -0500, Boron Elgar
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 21:00:44 +1100, Bruce
wrote:

Sqwertz and Boron: a match made in heaven. On a deserted island.

You giving up your island?

lol
Old 10-01-2019, 03:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Still speaking of HB eggs.... Does anyone remember the hard boiled
eggs with Russian (or French) dressing from the 50's - the mid 70's?
They appeared on menus at Woolworth's all the way up top semi-fine
dining.

That was my brunch today.

https://i.postimg.cc/CKL9jXRt/Hard-B...n-Dressing.jpg

I peeled 8 eggs in 37 seconds using the boil method. No gadgets
required.

-sw

Old 10-01-2019, 03:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 8:03:24 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:

Still speaking of HB eggs.... Does anyone remember the hard boiled
eggs with Russian (or French) dressing from the 50's - the mid 70's?
They appeared on menus at Woolworth's all the way up top semi-fine
dining.

That was my brunch today.

https://i.postimg.cc/CKL9jXRt/Hard-B...n-Dressing.jpg

I peeled 8 eggs in 37 seconds using the boil method. No gadgets
required.

-sw

I don't remember that dish but dang it, I'm going to have boil eggs tomorrow
to top a bunch of salad ingredients I bought today. All this talk of eggs,
egg cookers, boiling water, etc. has sent my craving into high gear.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 12:26:29 -0800 (PST), Nancy2 wrote:

You have taken a position with no knowledg of the small appliance we are talking about, and
that position is one of ignorance about that appliance, and now are too stubborn to quit
and say you were mistaken. It's a sorry position.

I'm not mistaken at all. My mother used to have an egg cooker, as I
implied in a previous post. I had used it a couple times and was
glad when I accidentally dropped it on the floor and broke it. As
it wasn't taking up valuable counter space and I didn't have to drag
it out of the cupboard when she needed it. Using the egg cooker is
no more convenient than using a pan. And the pan is infinitely more
useful.

I think we can call this argument over, if not a truce.

-sw
Old 10-01-2019, 04:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2019 3:03 PM, l not -l wrote:
On 9-Jan-2019, wrote:

Egg salad on toast...any kind of bread, but I love it on rye...is really
tasty, if
one likes egg salad. ;-))

Yum, toated rye. I'm getting closer to deciding how to use the last two hb
eggs.

I had toasted rye for breakfast this morning, with butter and honey.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2019 11:34 AM, jmcquown wrote:
On 1/9/2019 11:12 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Wed 09 Jan 2019 05:52:12a, l not -l told us...

This thread put me in the mood for hard boiled/cooked eggs; there
were just 4 eggs left in the carton and that would be enough to
satisfy.** I am a steamer, but not evangelistic about it; I simply
prefer multi-purpose vs single-purpose tools and a steamer works
for me.

I steamed the 4 eggs to hard cooked and cooled them in an ice bath
of a full tray of rectangular cubes.* Any one who uses anything
but old-fashioned rectangular cubes is an idiot and should be
flogged,* Just kidding.

Two of the eggs were used to make a satisfying, though long
overlooked, breakfast of creamed eggs on toast.* I had almost
forgotten how good that could be on a chilly morning, with a cup
of steaming coffee.* Ah!!

The two remaining eggs will either become egg salad or will be
sliced and added to a salad.

Whatever method employed to make them, hard boiled eggs can be
tasty, versatile eats

I have only two uses for hard boiled eggs.* I make either egg salad or
devilled eggs.* I don't like them added to anything else and I don't
like them on their own.* FOr example, adding hard boiled eggs to potato
salad totally ruins it for me.

We all have our preferences.* I don't like egg salad or devilled eggs so
I never purposefully set out to hard boil them.

Jill

Yep, I like them in any form and add them to potato salad
Old 10-01-2019, 06:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:
On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 8:03:24 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:

Still speaking of HB eggs.... Does anyone remember the hard boiled
eggs with Russian (or French) dressing from the 50's - the mid 70's?
They appeared on menus at Woolworth's all the way up top semi-fine
dining.

That was my brunch today.

https://i.postimg.cc/CKL9jXRt/Hard-B...n-Dressing.jpg

I peeled 8 eggs in 37 seconds using the boil method. No gadgets
required.

-sw

I don't remember that dish but dang it, I'm going to have boil eggs tomorrow
to top a bunch of salad ingredients I bought today. All this talk of eggs,
egg cookers, boiling water, etc. has sent my craving into high gear.

two visits to the store ago I forgot eggs - I never forget eggs -
I always have eggs

and I left my wallet at home for the return visit

I need a vacation

Old 10-01-2019, 07:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 12:02:51 PM UTC-6, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I never at devilled eggs except for my grandmother's, until I asked
her specifically why she put in the filling. After learning that I
made them for myself, and I was always tempted to eat a plate full.
:-)

I believe I could make an entire meal out of deviled eggs. L-O-V-E them.