Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default egg cooker question

On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 15:09:20 -0500, wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 12:25:04 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 12:36:56 -0600, Sqwertz >
>>wrote:

>>>You still have to set something on the cooker telling it how you
>>>want your eggs cooked. So you still set a timer of some sort. if
>>>it only does hard boiled, then its even more useless.
>>>
>>>I gave up gadgets long ago. Actually, I never really started them.
>>>I learned from my mother. I'd rather know how to cook using
>>>universal equipment than being tied to some gadget that won't be
>>>available in many situations.
>>>
>>>-sw

>>If you go back and look at my original post I only asked what size
>>eggs they used. I was curious about that because I had no idea how
>>they worked.
>>Janet US

>That's idiocy... in a carton of a dozen large eggs all will be a
>slightly different size/weight, no two will be exactly alike.
>Each egg cooker will cook at slightly different times, even the same
>brand and model... with a new appliance it's a no-brainer to
>experiment... learning an egg cooker is no different from learning a
>microwave oven. Times given in the users manual are at best
>estimates. And your Voltage varies at different times during the day.
>In some areas Voltage varies substantially. especially when everyone
>is home preparing breakfast and again when people arrive home from
>work and are turning on electric appliances. My APC battery back up
>has a Voltage meter on at all times, Voltage will normally be 120
>Volts but there are 5 Volt swings often, swings between 115 Volts and
>125 Volts.

You forgot to mention how fast the earth spins where I live. If we
apply your logic, there is no point in sizing anything. After all,
not all size 10 men's shoes manufactured by the same manufacturer will
be the same size on any given day nor will they fit the same men the
same way every day.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 12:25:04 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 12:36:56 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 21:07:10 -0800 (PST), Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>>> Sqwerzts, one uses a cooker so as not to spend time watching the
>>> clock or setting a timer, etc.

>>You still have to set something on the cooker telling it how you
>>want your eggs cooked. So you still set a timer of some sort. if
>>it only does hard boiled, then its even more useless.
>>
>>I gave up gadgets long ago. Actually, I never really started them.
>>I learned from my mother. I'd rather know how to cook using
>>universal equipment than being tied to some gadget that won't be
>>available in many situations.

> If you go back and look at my original post I only asked what size
> eggs they used. I was curious about that because I had no idea how
> they worked.
> Janet US

That's fine. I'm arguing with Nancy now. It's my duty to rid the
world of useless cooking gadgets (as I see them) ;-)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 18:06:03 -0500, Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 12:36:56 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 21:07:10 -0800 (PST), Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>>> Sqwerzts, one uses a cooker so as not to spend time watching the
>>> clock or setting a timer, etc.

>>You still have to set something on the cooker telling it how you
>>want your eggs cooked. So you still set a timer of some sort. if
>>it only does hard boiled, then its even more useless.

> The included water measuring tube, which also has a pin to piece the
> eggshell, has lines on it indicating how much water to add for
> soft/hard eggs. Hasn't failed yet.

Ahh, yes, the "convenience" plot thickens.

>>I gave up gadgets long ago. Actually, I never really started them.
>>I learned from my mother. I'd rather know how to cook using
>>universal equipment than being tied to some gadget that won't be
>>available in many situations.
>>

> Having a gadget does not mean one does not have skills to prepare
> foods without it.. How many situations could I possibly be in where I
> would want soft./hard boiled eggs, where my gadget won't be available?
> Yikes, it is broken and Amazon will have me another one tomorrow? One
> could say the same about a toaster.

If you know how to make eggs on the stove then why are you buying
ANOTHER cooker in the first place? And paying extra for next day
shipping?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 21:52:10 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 18:06:03 -0500, Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 12:36:56 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>You still have to set something on the cooker telling it how you
>>>want your eggs cooked. So you still set a timer of some sort. if
>>>it only does hard boiled, then its even more useless.

>> The included water measuring tube, which also has a pin to piece the
>> eggshell, has lines on it indicating how much water to add for
>> soft/hard eggs. Hasn't failed yet.

>Ahh, yes, the "convenience" plot thickens.

Indoor plumbing can fit that category, too. You're being foolish.

>>>I gave up gadgets long ago. Actually, I never really started them.
>>>I learned from my mother. I'd rather know how to cook using
>>>universal equipment than being tied to some gadget that won't be
>>>available in many situations.
>>>

>> Having a gadget does not mean one does not have skills to prepare
>> foods without it.. How many situations could I possibly be in where I
>> would want soft./hard boiled eggs, where my gadget won't be available?
>> Yikes, it is broken and Amazon will have me another one tomorrow? One
>> could say the same about a toaster.

>If you know how to make eggs on the stove then why are you buying
>ANOTHER cooker in the first place? And paying extra for next day
>shipping?
>
>-sw

Perhaps I should buy all my household goods to match your preferences
and spend my money the way you want me to.

Oh, I beg your pardon. I didn't realize you were the ****ing king of
the universe. Sorry, you anal-retentive jerk, but I don't have any
interest in living my life to please you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 23:17:53 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 1/7/2019 10:34 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 15:09:20 -0500, wrote:
>>
>>> My APC battery back up
>>> has a Voltage meter on at all times, Voltage will normally be 120
>>> Volts but there are 5 Volt swings often, swings between 115 Volts and
>>> 125 Volts.

>> You have shitty electric service and a shitty UPS meter. I have a
>> transformer in my yard (everybody here has half a transformer in
>> their yard). I consistently get 117/234, rain, wind, show, and
>> gloom of night. Which is what your lines should read.

> A dozen years back I was losing light bulbs in the bathroom in the
> morning. I put a meter on it and got 160 volts. Seems like a substation
> two miles from me was cranking up in the morning in anticipation of a
> few factories starting up and they caused the over voltage. Never
> happened again once I notified them.

That's what the neighborhood transformers (on the poles or in the
yards) are for - stepping down the supplied high voltages to useful
household voltages. They should always output fairly consistent
voltages and amps regardless of the intake voltages/amps - except in
the case of large sudden power spikes.

I guess in that first second or so they could still fail to adjust
quick enough to blow out some bulbs. But transformers are usually
better than that these days. But factories need more amps rather
than higher voltages <shrug>

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 23:10:55 -0500, Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 21:52:10 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 18:06:03 -0500, Boron Elgar wrote:

>>> The included water measuring tube, which also has a pin to piece the
>>> eggshell, has lines on it indicating how much water to add for
>>> soft/hard eggs. Hasn't failed yet.

>>Ahh, yes, the "convenience" plot thickens.

> Indoor plumbing can fit that category, too. You're being foolish.

Huh?

>>> Having a gadget does not mean one does not have skills to prepare
>>> foods without it.. How many situations could I possibly be in where I
>>> would want soft./hard boiled eggs, where my gadget won't be available?
>>> Yikes, it is broken and Amazon will have me another one tomorrow? One
>>> could say the same about a toaster.

>>If you know how to make eggs on the stove then why are you buying
>>ANOTHER cooker in the first place? And paying extra for next day
>>shipping?

> Perhaps I should buy all my household goods to match your preferences
> and spend my money the way you want me to.

Yes, just like I already said in a tongue-in-cheek response to Janet
which you apparently just read, otherwise.....

> Oh, I beg your pardon. I didn't realize you were the ****ing king of
> the universe. Sorry, you anal-retentive jerk, but I don't have any
> interest in living my life to please you.

Now you're catching on. At least when I'm a pompous ass I usually
do it tongue-in-cheek. But when you do it you're dead serious, Mrs.
"I know every shopping trend and how you shop and what you want"
Elgar.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 18:06:03 -0500, Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 12:36:56 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>You still have to set something on the cooker telling it how you
>>>want your eggs cooked. So you still set a timer of some sort. if
>>>it only does hard boiled, then its even more useless.

>> The included water measuring tube, which also has a pin to piece the
>> eggshell, has lines on it indicating how much water to add for
>> soft/hard eggs. Hasn't failed yet.

>Ahh, yes, the "convenience" plot thickens.

Indoor plumbing can fit that category, too. You're being foolish.

>>>I gave up gadgets long ago. Actually, I never really started them.
>>>I learned from my mother. I'd rather know how to cook using
>>>universal equipment than being tied to some gadget that won't be
>>>available in many situations.
>>>

>> Having a gadget does not mean one does not have skills to prepare
>> foods without it.. How many situations could I possibly be in where I
>> would want soft./hard boiled eggs, where my gadget won't be available?
>> Yikes, it is broken and Amazon will have me another one tomorrow? One
>> could say the same about a toaster.

>If you know how to make eggs on the stove then why are you buying
>ANOTHER cooker in the first place? And paying extra for next day
>shipping?
>
>-sw

Perhaps I should buy all my household goods to match your preferences
and spend my money the way you want me to.

Oh, I beg your pardon. I didn't realize you were the ****ing king of
the universe. Sorry, you anal-retentive jerk, but I don't have any
interest in living my life to please you.

==

lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 23:10:55 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 21:52:10 -0600, Sqwertz >
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 18:06:03 -0500, Boron Elgar wrote:

>>> The included water measuring tube, which also has a pin to piece the
>>> eggshell, has lines on it indicating how much water to add for
>>> soft/hard eggs. Hasn't failed yet.

>>Ahh, yes, the "convenience" plot thickens.

>Indoor plumbing can fit that category, too. You're being foolish.

>>> Having a gadget does not mean one does not have skills to prepare
>>> foods without it.. How many situations could I possibly be in where I
>>> would want soft./hard boiled eggs, where my gadget won't be available?
>>> Yikes, it is broken and Amazon will have me another one tomorrow? One
>>> could say the same about a toaster.

>>If you know how to make eggs on the stove then why are you buying
>>ANOTHER cooker in the first place? And paying extra for next day
>>shipping?
>>
>>-sw

>Perhaps I should buy all my household goods to match your preferences
>and spend my money the way you want me to.
>
>Oh, I beg your pardon. I didn't realize you were the ****ing king of
>the universe. Sorry, you anal-retentive jerk, but I don't have any
>interest in living my life to please you.

Sqwertz and Boron: a match made in heaven. On a deserted island.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 21:00:44 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>Sqwertz and Boron: a match made in heaven. On a deserted island.

You giving up your island?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwerts, there is NO timer on the cooker. At least on the Oster and Sunbeam cookers,
the degree of doneness is determined by the amount of water that is put in the bottom.
When the water is gone (turned to steam), the cooker turns off. Do a little research
before you criticize.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 12:36:56 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>You still have to set something on the cooker telling it how you
>>>want your eggs cooked. So you still set a timer of some sort. if
>>>it only does hard boiled, then its even more useless.

>> The included water measuring tube, which also has a pin to piece the
>> eggshell, has lines on it indicating how much water to add for
>> soft/hard eggs. Hasn't failed yet.
>>
>>>I gave up gadgets long ago. Actually, I never really started them.
>>>I learned from my mother. I'd rather know how to cook using
>>>universal equipment than being tied to some gadget that won't be
>>>available in many situations.

>> Having a gadget does not mean one does not have skills to prepare
>> foods without it.. How many situations could I possibly be in where I
>> would want soft./hard boiled eggs, where my gadget won't be available?
>> Yikes, it is broken and Amazon will have me another one tomorrow? One
>> could say the same about a toaster.

>Good points. Squirt is nitpicking but not doing a very good job of it.

I think not... I've hard cooked darn close to a million eggs in a pot
of water (four gross at a time), no problems... natcherly they could
take all they want, eat all they take, and peel em themselves... funny
how the rebels filled their pockets for snacking later. Don't know
where they got hot sauce as I had none in the food locker, their
mommies must have mailed it. Them southerners just loved hot sauce,
they'd eat everything with hot sauce, well not pussy, that would burn,
probably with bbq sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 20:31:10 -0500, wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 16:31:52 GMT, Pamela >
> wrote:
>
>>On 23:06 7 Jan 2019, Boron Elgar > wrote in
m:

>>> The included water measuring tube, which also has a pin to piece the
>>> eggshell, has lines on it indicating how much water to add for
>>> soft/hard eggs. Hasn't failed yet.

>>> Having a gadget does not mean one does not have skills to prepare
>>> foods without it.. How many situations could I possibly be in where I
>>> would want soft./hard boiled eggs, where my gadget won't be available?
>>> Yikes, it is broken and Amazon will have me another one tomorrow? One
>>> could say the same about a toaster.

>>Good points. Squirt is nitpicking but not doing a very good job of it.

Oh, stop being so butthurt. Nitpicking is insisting that chocolate
covered cherries are Christmas candy.

Really - trying to recruit fellow Sqwertz-haters to bond with you by
sucking up is so... 90's usenet.

(piggybacking due to killfile)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default All this talk of eggs. - Was: egg cooker question

On 1/9/2019 7:52 AM, l not -l wrote:
> This thread put me in the mood for hard boiled/cooked eggs; there were just
> 4 eggs left in the carton and that would be enough to satisfy. I am a
> steamer, but not evangelistic about it; I simply prefer multi-purpose vs
> single-purpose tools and a steamer works for me.
>
> I steamed the 4 eggs to hard cooked and cooled them in an ice bath of a full
> tray of rectangular cubes. Any one who uses anything but old-fashioned
> rectangular cubes is an idiot and should be flogged, Just kidding.
>
> Two of the eggs were used to make a satisfying, though long overlooked,
> breakfast of creamed eggs on toast. I had almost forgotten how good that
> could be on a chilly morning, with a cup of steaming coffee. Ah!!
>
> The two remaining eggs will either become egg salad or will be sliced and
> added to a salad.
>
> Whatever method employed to make them, hard boiled eggs can be tasty,
> versatile eats

If someone wants or needs to use an egg cooker it's fine with me. I
just boil them in a saucepan then run cold water over them. But... I
try NOT to make hard boiled eggs. I'm not a fan of devilled eggs and
things like that.

The other night I cooked three eggs, no more than medium boiled (one was
still slighly runny) for dinner. Spooned the eggs from the shells into
a coffee mug, with butter and S&P added. Mom called it egg-a-cup. It's
something she made for my breakfast when I was a very little girl. I
still enjoy it. I toasted a slice of bakery sourdough bread, lightly
buttered. It hit the spot.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2019 11:12 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 09 Jan 2019 05:52:12a, l not -l told us...
>
>> This thread put me in the mood for hard boiled/cooked eggs; there
>> were just 4 eggs left in the carton and that would be enough to
>> satisfy. I am a steamer, but not evangelistic about it; I simply
>> prefer multi-purpose vs single-purpose tools and a steamer works
>> for me.
>>
>> I steamed the 4 eggs to hard cooked and cooled them in an ice bath
>> of a full tray of rectangular cubes. Any one who uses anything
>> but old-fashioned rectangular cubes is an idiot and should be
>> flogged, Just kidding.
>>
>> Two of the eggs were used to make a satisfying, though long
>> overlooked, breakfast of creamed eggs on toast. I had almost
>> forgotten how good that could be on a chilly morning, with a cup
>> of steaming coffee. Ah!!
>>
>> The two remaining eggs will either become egg salad or will be
>> sliced and added to a salad.
>>
>> Whatever method employed to make them, hard boiled eggs can be
>> tasty, versatile eats
>>

> I have only two uses for hard boiled eggs. I make either egg salad or
> devilled eggs. I don't like them added to anything else and I don't
> like them on their own. FOr example, adding hard boiled eggs to potato
> salad totally ruins it for me.

We all have our preferences. I don't like egg salad or devilled eggs so
I never purposefully set out to hard boil them.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:

> The two remaining eggs will either become egg salad or will be sliced and
> added to a salad.
>
> Whatever method employed to make them, hard boiled eggs can be tasty,
> versatile eats

yes, i happened to be eating egg salad (eggs, mustard,
miracle whip, sliced up homemade dill pickles and pickle
juice) when i read this for brunch.

i don't usually make egg salad the same way every-
time, but it does tend to stay in the themes of diced
onions, green olives, sweet or sour pickles or both
and then mustard, mayo or mw, sometimes i make toast
but more often than not i just eat it without the
bread and butter.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-09 11:12 a.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I have only two uses for hard boiled eggs. I make either egg salad or
> devilled eggs. I don't like them added to anything else and I don't
> like them on their own. FOr example, adding hard boiled eggs to potato
> salad totally ruins it for me.

I used to love them and used to take them to work with my lunch. After a
couple years of having them almost every day I got tired of them and
haven't had one on years. I have made deviled eggs a few times. I don't
think I have every made an egg salad sandwich for myself. I don't know why.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 05:53:09 -0800 (PST), Nancy2 wrote:

> Sqwerts, there is NO timer on the cooker. At least on the Oster and Sunbeam cookers,
> the degree of doneness is determined by the amount of water that is put in the bottom.
> When the water is gone (turned to steam), the cooker turns off. Do a little research
> before you criticize.

Then the timer, in this case, involves carefully measuring water
into a graduated a tube - even more complicated than just turning a
dial.

I think both of missed the point. It's still a timer.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Egg salad on toast...any kind of bread, but I love it on rye...is really tasty, if
one likes egg salad. ;-))

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz, you still don't know what you are talking about. There is no "careful measuring
into a tube." The base of the cooker has levels marked. One for soft and poached, and
another for hard boiled. I take a cup of water to the cooker and pour it in until it reaches
the required ring. Then I put the lid on and push in the Start button, and walk away. When the button
pops out with a click, the eggs are done.

What I don't have to do is retrieve a pan and fill it with water and add eggs and watch for it
to boil, time th cooking, and then turn it off, and drain the hot water, and cover the eggs with cold water (or
whatever method of which you ARE an expert), wait for the eggs to cool enough to handle,
drain the water and then peel and do whatever with them.

The cooker requires no pot, no large amounts of water, no watching, and no draining. The
cooker is so much easier.

You have taken a position with no knowledg of the small appliance we are talking about, and
that position is one of ignorance about that appliance, and now are too stubborn to quit
and say you were mistaken. It's a sorry position.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jan 2019 10:50:03 -0500, Gary wrote:

> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> I like my eggs at around 7 to 8 minutes. It's a little messy though.
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...-z5MZiVe40ypeZ

> YUM! Nicely semi-cooked egg plus everything else in that bowl.

At least now people will know to call dsi1 "David" rather than
misspelling his nick dsl1, ds1l, dsll, dsii, etc... because they
can't read their own fonts.

And he will now accuse me of "outing" him as "David", just like I
"outed" him when he posted his address - which he JUST DID AGAIN
with the posting of this photo (it's in the EXIF info of the photo:
Latitude: 21.413844 | Longitude: -157.808997).

Bring it on, Davey!

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/19 9:30 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> The other night I cooked three eggs, no more than medium boiled (one was
> still slighly runny) for dinner.Â* Spooned the eggs from the shells into
> a coffee mug, with butter and S&P added.Â* Mom called it egg-a-cup.Â* It's
> something she made for my breakfast when I was a very little girl.Â* I
> still enjoy it.Â* I toasted a slice of bakery sourdough bread, lightly
> buttered.Â* It hit the spot.

Eggs done as you describe are perhaps my most favorite way to prepare
them. I don't do it all that often since it requires more effort than
over easy. Hard boiled eggs are not something we do often unless using
up some eggs. They do travel well on road trips in a ziplock with salt
and pepper added to the bag.

jay
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 1:24:18 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
> Egg salad on toast...any kind of bread, but I love it on rye...is really tasty, if
> one likes egg salad. ;-))

The rye I get is much too firm for egg salad. Biting into it would cause
the egg salad to squirt out the sides and back.

I prefer fresh white bread, untoasted.

If I want to use hard-boiled eggs, I generally make salad nicoise. However,
sometimes I just get a craving for egg salad or deviled eggs.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 songbird wrote:
>l not -l wrote:
>
>> The two remaining eggs will either become egg salad or will be sliced and
>> added to a salad.
>>
>> Whatever method employed to make them, hard boiled eggs can be tasty,
>> versatile eats

> yes, i happened to be eating egg salad (eggs, mustard,
>miracle whip, sliced up homemade dill pickles and pickle
>juice) when i read this for brunch.
>
> i don't usually make egg salad the same way every-
>time, but it does tend to stay in the themes of diced
>onions, green olives, sweet or sour pickles or both
>and then mustard, mayo or mw, sometimes i make toast
>but more often than not i just eat it without the
>bread and butter.

I wouldn't bother making egg salad with less than a half dozen eggs.
I add very finely minced celery, usually some minced fresh dill or
else dried, and Hellmans Sandwich Spread, sometimes a bit of
horseradish for bite. We like egg salad on saltines, a dab of caviar
makes it supreme.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 14:42:16 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 04 Jan 2019 10:50:03 -0500, Gary wrote:
>
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> I like my eggs at around 7 to 8 minutes. It's a little messy though.
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...-z5MZiVe40ypeZ

>> YUM! Nicely semi-cooked egg plus everything else in that bowl.

>At least now people will know to call dsi1 "David" rather than
>misspelling his nick dsl1, ds1l, dsll, dsii, etc... because they
>can't read their own fonts.
>
>And he will now accuse me of "outing" him as "David", just like I
>"outed" him when he posted his address - which he JUST DID AGAIN
>with the posting of this photo (it's in the EXIF info of the photo:
>Latitude: 21.413844 | Longitude: -157.808997).
>
>Bring it on, Davey!

I wonder how sqwertz talks:

<https://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/7599607/f21dfc2f/maandje_in_texas_verblijven.html>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 08:04:47 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 21:00:44 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>

>>Sqwertz and Boron: a match made in heaven. On a deserted island.

>You giving up your island?

lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Still speaking of HB eggs.... Does anyone remember the hard boiled
eggs with Russian (or French) dressing from the 50's - the mid 70's?
They appeared on menus at Woolworth's all the way up top semi-fine
dining.

That was my brunch today.

https://i.postimg.cc/CKL9jXRt/Hard-B...n-Dressing.jpg

I peeled 8 eggs in 37 seconds using the boil method. No gadgets
required.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 8:03:24 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:

> Still speaking of HB eggs.... Does anyone remember the hard boiled
> eggs with Russian (or French) dressing from the 50's - the mid 70's?
> They appeared on menus at Woolworth's all the way up top semi-fine
> dining.
>
> That was my brunch today.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/CKL9jXRt/Hard-B...n-Dressing.jpg
>
> I peeled 8 eggs in 37 seconds using the boil method. No gadgets
> required.
>
> -sw

I don't remember that dish but dang it, I'm going to have boil eggs tomorrow
to top a bunch of salad ingredients I bought today. All this talk of eggs,
egg cookers, boiling water, etc. has sent my craving into high gear.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 12:26:29 -0800 (PST), Nancy2 wrote:

> You have taken a position with no knowledg of the small appliance we are talking about, and
> that position is one of ignorance about that appliance, and now are too stubborn to quit
> and say you were mistaken. It's a sorry position.

I'm not mistaken at all. My mother used to have an egg cooker, as I
implied in a previous post. I had used it a couple times and was
glad when I accidentally dropped it on the floor and broke it. As
it wasn't taking up valuable counter space and I didn't have to drag
it out of the cupboard when she needed it. Using the egg cooker is
no more convenient than using a pan. And the pan is infinitely more
useful.

I think we can call this argument over, if not a truce.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2019 3:03 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 9-Jan-2019, wrote:
>
>> Egg salad on toast...any kind of bread, but I love it on rye...is really
>> tasty, if
>> one likes egg salad. ;-))

> Yum, toated rye. I'm getting closer to deciding how to use the last two hb
> eggs.

I had toasted rye for breakfast this morning, with butter and honey.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2019 11:34 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/9/2019 11:12 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Wed 09 Jan 2019 05:52:12a, l not -l told us...
>>
>>> This thread put me in the mood for hard boiled/cooked eggs; there
>>> were just 4 eggs left in the carton and that would be enough to
>>> satisfy.Â*Â* I am a steamer, but not evangelistic about it; I simply
>>> prefer multi-purpose vs single-purpose tools and a steamer works
>>> for me.
>>>
>>> I steamed the 4 eggs to hard cooked and cooled them in an ice bath
>>> of a full tray of rectangular cubes.Â* Any one who uses anything
>>> but old-fashioned rectangular cubes is an idiot and should be
>>> flogged,Â* Just kidding.
>>>
>>> Two of the eggs were used to make a satisfying, though long
>>> overlooked, breakfast of creamed eggs on toast.Â* I had almost
>>> forgotten how good that could be on a chilly morning, with a cup
>>> of steaming coffee.Â* Ah!!
>>>
>>> The two remaining eggs will either become egg salad or will be
>>> sliced and added to a salad.
>>>
>>> Whatever method employed to make them, hard boiled eggs can be
>>> tasty, versatile eats
>>>

>> I have only two uses for hard boiled eggs.Â* I make either egg salad or
>> devilled eggs.Â* I don't like them added to anything else and I don't
>> like them on their own.Â* FOr example, adding hard boiled eggs to potato
>> salad totally ruins it for me.
>>

> We all have our preferences.Â* I don't like egg salad or devilled eggs so
> I never purposefully set out to hard boil them.
>
> Jill

Yep, I like them in any form and add them to potato salad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:
>On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 8:03:24 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> Still speaking of HB eggs.... Does anyone remember the hard boiled
>> eggs with Russian (or French) dressing from the 50's - the mid 70's?
>> They appeared on menus at Woolworth's all the way up top semi-fine
>> dining.
>>
>> That was my brunch today.

https://i.postimg.cc/CKL9jXRt/Hard-B...n-Dressing.jpg

>> I peeled 8 eggs in 37 seconds using the boil method. No gadgets
>> required.
>>
>> -sw
>>

>I don't remember that dish but dang it, I'm going to have boil eggs tomorrow
>to top a bunch of salad ingredients I bought today. All this talk of eggs,
>egg cookers, boiling water, etc. has sent my craving into high gear.

two visits to the store ago I forgot eggs - I never forget eggs -
I always have eggs

and I left my wallet at home for the return visit

I need a vacation

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 12:02:51 PM UTC-6, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I never at devilled eggs except for my grandmother's, until I asked
> her specifically why she put in the filling. After learning that I
> made them for myself, and I was always tempted to eat a plate full.
> :-)

I believe I could make an entire meal out of deviled eggs. L-O-V-E them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 8:22:32 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 12:26:29 -0800 (PST), Nancy2 wrote:
>
> > You have taken a position with no knowledg of the small appliance we are talking about, and
> > that position is one of ignorance about that appliance, and now are too stubborn to quit
> > and say you were mistaken. It's a sorry position.

> I'm not mistaken at all. My mother used to have an egg cooker, as I
> implied in a previous post. I had used it a couple times and was
> glad when I accidentally dropped it on the floor and broke it. As
> it wasn't taking up valuable counter space and I didn't have to drag
> it out of the cupboard when she needed it. Using the egg cooker is
> no more convenient than using a pan. And the pan is infinitely more
> useful.
>
> I think we can call this argument over, if not a truce.
>
> -sw

I'll agree to a truce, with a couple final points: it takes a lot more water to boil eggs on top the stove, and a pot to do it with takes up more space in a cupboard than an egg cooker. Second, it takes a lot more energy to boil a pot of water than it does for a cooker to do its thing.

There, I'm finished. ;-)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 9:02:47 AM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 8:22:32 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 12:26:29 -0800 (PST), Nancy2 wrote:
> >
> > > You have taken a position with no knowledg of the small appliance we are talking about, and
> > > that position is one of ignorance about that appliance, and now are too stubborn to quit
> > > and say you were mistaken. It's a sorry position.

> > I'm not mistaken at all. My mother used to have an egg cooker, as I
> > implied in a previous post. I had used it a couple times and was
> > glad when I accidentally dropped it on the floor and broke it. As
> > it wasn't taking up valuable counter space and I didn't have to drag
> > it out of the cupboard when she needed it. Using the egg cooker is
> > no more convenient than using a pan. And the pan is infinitely more
> > useful.
> >
> > I think we can call this argument over, if not a truce.
> >
> > -sw

> I'll agree to a truce, with a couple final points: it takes a lot more water to boil eggs on top the stove, and a pot to do it with takes up more space in a cupboard than an egg cooker. Second, it takes a lot more energy to boil a pot of water than it does for a cooker to do its thing.
>
> There, I'm finished. ;-)
>
> N.

If you had an automatic rice cooker you could probably do the same thing. Use a steamer basket and the same amount of water. It is unfortunate that my daughter threw out my beautiful rice cooker else I would be steaming eggs at this very moment.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 11:02:43 -0800 (PST), Nancy2 wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 8:22:32 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 12:26:29 -0800 (PST), Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>>> You have taken a position with no knowledg of the small appliance we are talking about, and
>>> that position is one of ignorance about that appliance, and now are too stubborn to quit
>>> and say you were mistaken. It's a sorry position.

>> I'm not mistaken at all. My mother used to have an egg cooker, as I
>> implied in a previous post. I had used it a couple times and was
>> glad when I accidentally dropped it on the floor and broke it. As
>> it wasn't taking up valuable counter space and I didn't have to drag
>> it out of the cupboard when she needed it. Using the egg cooker is
>> no more convenient than using a pan. And the pan is infinitely more
>> useful.
>>
>> I think we can call this argument over, if not a truce.

> I'll agree to a truce, with a couple final points: it takes a lot
> more water to boil eggs on top the stove, and a pot to do it with
> takes up more space in a cupboard than an egg cooker. Second, it
> takes a lot more energy to boil a pot of water than it does for a
> cooker to do its thing.
>
> There, I'm finished. ;-)

OK, fine, I'll argue this some more since you brought up energy vs.
cost of egg cooker....

[resisting temptation] Oh, fuggit - I'll let you have the last word ;-)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 11:12:18 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 9:02:47 AM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:

>> > I'm not mistaken at all. My mother used to have an egg cooker, as I
>> > implied in a previous post. I had used it a couple times and was
>> > glad when I accidentally dropped it on the floor and broke it. As
>> > it wasn't taking up valuable counter space and I didn't have to drag
>> > it out of the cupboard when she needed it. Using the egg cooker is
>> > no more convenient than using a pan. And the pan is infinitely more
>> > useful.
>> >
>> > I think we can call this argument over, if not a truce.
>> >
>> > -sw

>> I'll agree to a truce, with a couple final points: it takes a lot more water to boil eggs on top the stove, and a pot to do it with takes up more space in a cupboard than an egg cooker. Second, it takes a lot more energy to boil a pot of water than it does for a cooker to do its thing.
>>
>> There, I'm finished. ;-)
>>
>> N.

>If you had an automatic rice cooker you could probably do the same thing. Use a steamer basket and the same amount of water. It is unfortunate that my daughter threw out my beautiful rice cooker else I would be steaming eggs at this very moment.

I much prefer an ordinary pot for cooking rice... and I can use the
same pot to boil eggs, and I do... that 2 qt Farberware pot is the
only pot that lives on my stove... that one pot is used to cook many
other things.

BTW, I can't only read a small portion of your's and nancy2's posts...
one day yoose may fix your word wrap... how ironic that yoose are
touting automatic cookery.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 15:41:40 -0500, wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 11:12:18 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>>> I'll agree to a truce, with a couple final points: it takes a lot more water to boil eggs on top the stove, and a pot to do it with takes up more space in a cupboard than an egg cooker. Second, it takes a lot more energy to boil a pot of water than it does for a cooker to do its thing.
>>>
>>> There, I'm finished. ;-)
>>>
>>> N.

>>If you had an automatic rice cooker you could probably do the same thing. Use a steamer basket and the same amount of water. It is unfortunate that my daughter threw out my beautiful rice cooker else I would be steaming eggs at this very moment.

>I much prefer an ordinary pot for cooking rice... and I can use the
>same pot to boil eggs, and I do... that 2 qt Farberware pot is the
>only pot that lives on my stove... that one pot is used to cook many
>other things.
>
>BTW, I can't only read a small portion of your's and nancy2's posts...
>one day yoose may fix your word wrap... how ironic that yoose are
>touting automatic cookery.

Wait until you see a post by Greg Morrow, where he quotes an entire
article with endless lines. Screen pollution.