Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New Year's foods?

We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese ball and
some black eyed peas.

My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili, using the
black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will also add ground beef
and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.

Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more food. I
could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 3:03:13 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese ball and
> some black eyed peas.
>
> My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili, using the
> black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will also add ground beef
> and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.
>
> Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more food. I
> could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

Asians are a superstitious lot so we have a bunch of traditional foods and practices that are eaten to bring good luck in the coming year. I plan on making nishime and kombu maki. These are foods that used to be made by my aunties back in the old days. These days we don't get to see these old school dishes served anymore. Men don't typically make these dishes but what the hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9PQDcRg_eg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2018 7:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese
> ball and some black eyed peas.
>
> My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili, using
> the black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will also add
> ground beef and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.
>
> Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more
> food. I could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

Still workin' on Christmas leftovers ... the ham bone is going in the
pot along with a pound of BEP's for New Year's Day dinner . I don't know
what else she has planned for dinner , probably a salad , and I'll be
baking some dinner rolls .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2018 8:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese ball
> and some black eyed peas.
>
> My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili, using
> the black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will also add
> ground beef and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.
>
> Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more food.
> I could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

Nothing special yet. Dinner will be leftovers from last night and
tonight. I'll pick up something tomorrow. If nothing else, I have
crackers, cheese, salami for a snack.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 3:03:13 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese ball
> and
> some black eyed peas.
>
> My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili, using the
> black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will also add ground beef
> and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.
>
> Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more food. I
> could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

Asians are a superstitious lot so we have a bunch of traditional foods and
practices that are eaten to bring good luck in the coming year. I plan on
making nishime and kombu maki. These are foods that used to be made by my
aunties back in the old days. These days we don't get to see these old
school dishes served anymore. Men don't typically make these dishes but what
the hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9PQDcRg_eg

Nice! We can get chickpea Miso here now. Maybe I'll make some of that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" > wrote in message
> On 12/30/2018 7:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese ball
>> and some black eyed peas.
>>
>> My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili, using the
>> black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will also add ground
>> beef and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.
>>
>> Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more food.
>> I could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

> Still workin' on Christmas leftovers ... the ham bone is going in the pot
> along with a pound of BEP's for New Year's Day dinner . I don't know what
> else she has planned for dinner , probably a salad , and I'll be baking
> some dinner rolls .

Nice!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 12/30/2018 8:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese ball
>> and some black eyed peas.
>>
>> My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili, using the
>> black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will also add ground
>> beef and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.
>>
>> Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more food.
>> I could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

> Nothing special yet. Dinner will be leftovers from last night and
> tonight. I'll pick up something tomorrow. If nothing else, I have
> crackers, cheese, salami for a snack.

I guess I could make popcorn. That's always a good snack!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 3:03:13 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese ball
> and
> some black eyed peas.
>
> My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili, using the
> black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will also add ground beef
> and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.
>
> Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more food. I
> could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

Asians are a superstitious lot so we have a bunch of traditional foods and
practices that are eaten to bring good luck in the coming year. I plan on
making nishime and kombu maki. These are foods that used to be made by my
aunties back in the old days. These days we don't get to see these old
school dishes served anymore. Men don't typically make these dishes but what
the hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9PQDcRg_eg

==

They will be lovely and I bet very much appreciated)

What will your daughter make?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese ball and
some black eyed peas.

My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili, using the
black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will also add ground beef
and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.

Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more food. I
could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

==

I have some pork loin which had been lightly sous vide so I can do a bit
more cooking.

Thick sliced and covered in bread crumbs with Italian seasoning and fried.
Not sure
about the sides yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 8:03:13 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese ball and
> some black eyed peas.
>
> My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili, using the
> black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will also add ground beef
> and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.
>
> Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more food. I
> could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

Nothing special. A regular dinner and our usual 8:30 bedtime. I'm
debating grilled chicken, homemade pizza, or the last (as yet unbaked)
twice-baked potato from Christmas.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 17:02:53 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese ball and
> some black eyed peas.
>
> My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili, using the
> black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will also add ground beef
> and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.

So .... this is like every other day at the Bove house. I can't
imagine you had a party any other year at the Bove house, either.

> Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more food. I
> could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

This is another of your self-centered traps. You're not asking us
for suggestions for YOU, but you'll still manage to poo-poo most
everything WE plan to eat as it pertains to you (and everything
manages to pertain to you). Hopefully I will have just thwarted
that plan, if only for this one thread.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 6:03:13 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese ball and
> some black eyed peas.
>
> My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili, using the
> black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will also add ground beef
> and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.
>
> Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more food. I
> could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

I would never have a bean melange for New Years Day. The neighbors for blocks
around would object to the smells emitted from the consumers of such guck.
Don't you ever have conventional fare at your place?
====

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 5:16:32 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 17:02:53 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more food. I
> > could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

> This is another of your self-centered traps. You're not asking us
> for suggestions for YOU, but you'll still manage to poo-poo most
> everything WE plan to eat as it pertains to you (and everything
> manages to pertain to you). Hopefully I will have just thwarted
> that plan, if only for this one thread.
>
> -sw

APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/31/2018 12:45 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> writes:
>> We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese ball and
>> some black eyed peas.
>>
>> My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili, using the
>> black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will also add ground beef
>> and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.
>>
>> Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more food. I
>> could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

> oh crap, I should have gone to the store yesterday

Sucks to not have what you need on hand ... Mrs Snag and I have a system
.. There is the "using it now" stock of stuff on the shelves that are
currently standing in for cabinets , then there are the "stock on hand "
shelves we call our pantry . Well , and now the cellar for "bulk
storage" . When I/we pull an item from stock on hand to using now , that
item goes on the shopping list . Unless I screw up and don't put an item
on the list , we always have what we need . Right now there's a nice
beef roast in the slow cooker after a nice smokin' hot sear in one of
the CI frying pans . Taters and carrots to be added in a couple of hours
and gravy made from the drippins' just before it's served .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2018 8:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese ball
> and some black eyed peas.
>
> My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili, using
> the black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will also add
> ground beef and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.
>
> Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more food.
> I could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

Nothing special. For today (New Year's Eve) I've got a variety of
cheeses and Breton wheat crackers for snacking. On New Year's day, if
the rain stops, I'll grill a chuck-eye steak alongside split yellow and
zucchini squash. If it's still raining I'll cook the same things on the
stovetop.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese
> ball and some black eyed peas.
>
> My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili, using
> the black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will also add
> ground beef and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.
>
> Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more
> food. I could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

Posted elsewhe VB local stuff

The recipe I use now is based on the best of both of theirs (MIL and a
neighbor). From my home to yours, here it is. All measurements are
approximate.

1 small bag dried Black Eyed Peas
1/4-1/3 cup 'butter beans' (dry large or medium limas) *
1 largish onion, diced medium
1lb pork (ham hock preferred) **
5-6 cloves fresh garlic mined fairly fine ***
2 ts ground black pepper (I am using a whisky smoked version)
8oz diced tomato with juices (1/2 a small can)
2 quarts water (or may use broth with pork preferred but chicken is
fine)
2 cups packed down 'greens' ****
1 ts 'sweetener' *****

Ok, add all that to a large crock-pot and set to medium or low. It
should take about 6 hours to be ready. This is typically served with
rice (which can be added to the pot if you want a stew, or served under
the soupy Hoppin' John if you are like us). Depending on the pork
type, you may or may not need to add a little salt.

* Dried Limas do not taste like green lima beans. Omit if you hate the
innocent little things

** The pork does not have to be ham hock. Hog Jowl is awesome here and
those going low-fat will find cured ham works nicely. In Hawaii, they
use SPAM diced to cubes. This year, we are using pulled port butt
(which will be in next message). For those who do not eat pork, smoked
turkey wings work well.

*** The garlic comes from Asia and is believed to lead to long life.
It can also be added whole and the long cooking will make it sweet and
soft. It's super cheap pre-peeled at the American Asian Market on
Great Neck and VB BLVD.

**** The 'Greens' signify new life and are more of a local thing and an
Asian thing. Turnip greens, Beet greens, Kale, Cabbage, Spinach,
Mustard Greens. Pretty much if it is green and was meant to be green,
add some that you like ;-)

***** The sweetener is just a touch and strictly Asian. I was told it
means you are prosperous (or want to be) enough to add a little
sweetness to your families life. It can be a little bit of brown
sugar, honey, regular white sugar or what you have. My Japan neighbor
added a small piece of sugar crystallized ginger. It should be a
hidden touch of grace. No, they do not make 'Hoppin John' in Japan,
but they do indeed make some things a little like it and we added that
'tiny touch of sweet for my family feeling from there' to our tradition.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 3:03:13 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> > We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese
> > ball and some black eyed peas.
> >
> > My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili,
> > using the black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will
> > also add ground beef and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.
> >
> > Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more
> > food. I could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

> Asians are a superstitious lot so we have a bunch of traditional
> foods and practices that are eaten to bring good luck in the coming
> year. I plan on making nishime and kombu maki. These are foods that
> used to be made by my aunties back in the old days. These days we
> don't get to see these old school dishes served anymore. Men don't
> typically make these dishes but what the hell.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9PQDcRg_eg

You know oddly, I do not recall seeing Gobo in Hawaii?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

On 12/31/2018 12:45 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> writes:
>> We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese ball
>> and
>> some black eyed peas.
>>
>> My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili, using the
>> black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will also add ground
>> beef
>> and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.
>>
>> Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more food.
>> could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

> oh crap, I should have gone to the store yesterday

Sucks to not have what you need on hand ... Mrs Snag and I have a system
.. There is the "using it now" stock of stuff on the shelves that are
currently standing in for cabinets , then there are the "stock on hand "
shelves we call our pantry . Well , and now the cellar for "bulk
storage" . When I/we pull an item from stock on hand to using now , that
item goes on the shopping list . Unless I screw up and don't put an item
on the list , we always have what we need . Right now there's a nice
beef roast in the slow cooker after a nice smokin' hot sear in one of
the CI frying pans . Taters and carrots to be added in a couple of hours
and gravy made from the drippins' just before it's served .

==

You sound like us. We have a storeroom where we keep our bulk stuff and all
other items on shelves.

Our "using it now" stuff is in our kitchen cupboards and fridge.

We are being told we should be afraid of us now leaving the EU and that we
will get no food!!

Well, we won't starve for quite a long time if that happens LOL

I have 4 freezers which are now full. I large chest, 1 large upright, a
much smaller under counter freezer in the kitchen and a smaller travel
freezer.

I don't think we will starve any time soon)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
> ... On
> Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 3:03:13 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> > We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese
> > ball and some black eyed peas.
> >
> > My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili,
> > using the black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will
> > also add ground beef and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.
> >
> > Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more
> > food. I could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

> Asians are a superstitious lot so we have a bunch of traditional
> foods and practices that are eaten to bring good luck in the coming
> year. I plan on making nishime and kombu maki. These are foods that
> used to be made by my aunties back in the old days. These days we
> don't get to see these old school dishes served anymore. Men don't
> typically make these dishes but what the hell.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9PQDcRg_eg
>
> Nice! We can get chickpea Miso here now. Maybe I'll make some of that.

Umm, that recipe doesn't use miso... Much less chickpea turned in to
fake miso

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 10:40:48 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 3:03:13 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> > > We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese
> > > ball and some black eyed peas.
> > >
> > > My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili,
> > > using the black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will
> > > also add ground beef and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.
> > >
> > > Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more
> > > food. I could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

> > Asians are a superstitious lot so we have a bunch of traditional
> > foods and practices that are eaten to bring good luck in the coming
> > year. I plan on making nishime and kombu maki. These are foods that
> > used to be made by my aunties back in the old days. These days we
> > don't get to see these old school dishes served anymore. Men don't
> > typically make these dishes but what the hell.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9PQDcRg_eg

> You know oddly, I do not recall seeing Gobo in Hawaii?

Neither did I. You really have to be looking for it. I had to ask the produce guy about it. He said that he was sorry because all he had was the stuff from Japan rather than the local stuff. He seemed a little sad. You might miss it because it occupies so little space. I don't think they sell gobo at the local Safeway though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 7:40:16 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1> wrote in message
> On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 3:03:13 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> > We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese ball
> > and
> > some black eyed peas.
> >
> > My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili, using the
> > black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will also add ground beef
> > and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.
> >
> > Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more food. I
> > could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

> Asians are a superstitious lot so we have a bunch of traditional foods and
> practices that are eaten to bring good luck in the coming year. I plan on
> making nishime and kombu maki. These are foods that used to be made by my
> aunties back in the old days. These days we don't get to see these old
> school dishes served anymore. Men don't typically make these dishes but what
> the hell.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9PQDcRg_eg
>
> Nice! We can get chickpea Miso here now. Maybe I'll make some of that.

I've never heard of chickpea miso but my guess is that something like that would taste similar to regular soy miso. Heck, maybe they can make shoyu out of chickpeas. That would be something!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/31/2018 3:55 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 31-Dec-2018, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> On 12/30/2018 8:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese ball
>>> and some black eyed peas.
>>>
>>> My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili, using
>>> the black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will also add
>>> ground beef and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.
>>>
>>> Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more food.
>>>
>>> I could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

>> Nothing special.

> +1
> Beef stew, a biscuit and a couple of Cuties (mandarins). I will also think
> about the southern tradition of black eyed peas, frown and reject the whole
> idea and not give BEP's another thought. 8-)

I never give blackeyed peas much of a thought. Don't like them, it's a
mealy texture thing. I do like slow cooked greens but I don't drench
them in vinegar (just a splash or two of white or cider vinegar).

I have had blackeyed peas and greens served to me but I've never cooked
them for a specific holiday. She seems to be very fond of brown rice.

Grilled or pan fried steak and squash. Works for me.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/31/2018 3:25 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/31/2018 3:55 PM, l not -l wrote:

>>> Nothing special.

>> +1
>> Beef stew, a biscuit and a couple of Cuties (mandarins).Â* I will also
>> think
>> about the southern tradition of black eyed peas, frown and reject the
>> whole
>> idea and not give BEP's another thought.Â* 8-)
>>

> I never give blackeyed peas much of a thought.Â* Don't like them, it's
> a mealy texture thing.Â* I do like slow cooked greens but I don't
> drench them in vinegar (just a splash or two of white or cider vinegar).
>
> I have had blackeyed peas and greens served to me but I've never
> cooked them for a specific holiday.Â* She seems to be very fond of
> brown rice.
>
> Grilled or pan fried steak and squash.Â* Works for me.
>
> Jill

Â* I don't like canned BEP's , but those I cook from dried are a
different matter . Mine always have a firm but smooth almost creamy
texture , like most field peas . Cooked greens of any description are
not on my menu ... though my wife likes an occasional serving of spinach
.. Raw greens in salads are OK though .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 10:40:48 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:

> > > Asians are a superstitious lot so we have a bunch of traditional
> > > foods and practices that are eaten to bring good luck in the
> > > coming year. I plan on making nishime and kombu maki. These are
> > > foods that used to be made by my aunties back in the old days.
> > > These days we don't get to see these old school dishes served
> > > anymore. Men don't typically make these dishes but what the hell.
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9PQDcRg_eg

> > You know oddly, I do not recall seeing Gobo in Hawaii?

> Neither did I. You really have to be looking for it. I had to ask the
> produce guy about it. He said that he was sorry because all he had
> was the stuff from Japan rather than the local stuff. He seemed a
> little sad. You might miss it because it occupies so little space. I
> don't think they sell gobo at the local Safeway though.

I recall it as 2-3 foot long sticks in Japan. Here, it is cut to about
8 inch lengths in packs. Local grown here. Not hard to find but i
learned it in Japan because I never saw it in Hawaii (or missed it).

I did see Miso there, but it was in these big expensive (to me then)
tubs and seemed to be a liquid that didnt match recipes I had. I
learned it at the 'miso shop' at Tonoo market instead. She had some 15
types in wood tubs an you told her with fingers how many 50g you wanted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/31/2018 10:20 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 31-Dec-2018, jmcquown > wrote:

(snippage)

>>> +1
>>> Beef stew, a biscuit and a couple of Cuties (mandarins). I will also
>>> think
>>> about the southern tradition of black eyed peas, frown and reject the
>>> whole
>>> idea and not give BEP's another thought. 8-)
>>>

>> I never give blackeyed peas much of a thought. Don't like them, it's a
>> mealy texture thing.

> Yes, the texture is off-putting for me as well.

I didn't grow up with any New Year's "traditions". I know blackeyed
peas and greens are a thing... just not my thing.

>> I do like slow cooked greens but I don't drench
>> them in vinegar (just a splash or two of white or cider vinegar).

> I cooked a "mess" of mustard greens a couple of days ago and had some ot
> them today. Seasoned with diced smoked jowl; today's serving had a splash
> of Texas Pete's Pepper Sauce added. Very tasty side for a sandwich of deli
> roast beef.

I was at the grocery store today and saw some smoked hocks and smoked
turkey wings, which I suppose are intended to be cooked with greens or
blackeyed peas. I didn't buy any. I always add a bit of hot pepper
sauce when I cook greens.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> ... On
>> Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 3:03:13 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese
>> > ball and some black eyed peas.
>> >
>> > My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili,
>> > using the black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will
>> > also add ground beef and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.
>> >
>> > Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more
>> > food. I could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

>> Asians are a superstitious lot so we have a bunch of traditional
>> foods and practices that are eaten to bring good luck in the coming
>> year. I plan on making nishime and kombu maki. These are foods that
>> used to be made by my aunties back in the old days. These days we
>> don't get to see these old school dishes served anymore. Men don't
>> typically make these dishes but what the hell.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9PQDcRg_eg
>>
>> Nice! We can get chickpea Miso here now. Maybe I'll make some of that.

> Umm, that recipe doesn't use miso... Much less chickpea turned in to
> fake miso

I didn't say that it did and chickpea Miso isn't fake. Miso is made from all
sorts of things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 7:40:16 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "dsi1" <dsi1> wrote in message
>> On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 3:03:13 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese ball
>> > and
>> > some black eyed peas.
>> >
>> > My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili, using
>> > the
>> > black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will also add ground
>> > beef
>> > and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.
>> >
>> > Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more
>> > food. I
>> > could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

>> Asians are a superstitious lot so we have a bunch of traditional foods
>> and
>> practices that are eaten to bring good luck in the coming year. I plan on
>> making nishime and kombu maki. These are foods that used to be made by my
>> aunties back in the old days. These days we don't get to see these old
>> school dishes served anymore. Men don't typically make these dishes but
>> what
>> the hell.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9PQDcRg_eg
>>
>> Nice! We can get chickpea Miso here now. Maybe I'll make some of that.

> I've never heard of chickpea miso but my guess is that something like that
> would taste similar to regular soy miso. Heck, maybe they can make shoyu
> out of chickpeas. That would be something!

It tastes really good. Some years back, my mom's Dr. told her to eat
chickpea Miso. I could find none in this area so had to have it sent to me,
packed on dry ice. It was not cheap and then my mom refused to eat it. So I
did. Was very good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 17:02:53 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese ball
>> and
>> some black eyed peas.
>>
>> My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili, using the
>> black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will also add ground
>> beef
>> and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.

> So .... this is like every other day at the Bove house. I can't
> imagine you had a party any other year at the Bove house, either.
>
>> Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more food.
>> could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

> This is another of your self-centered traps. You're not asking us
> for suggestions for YOU, but you'll still manage to poo-poo most
> everything WE plan to eat as it pertains to you (and everything
> manages to pertain to you). Hopefully I will have just thwarted
> that plan, if only for this one thread.

Jinxy Steve! I didn't do that at all. Did I? And I *did* have a party here
last year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 6:03:13 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>> We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese ball
>> and
>> some black eyed peas.
>>
>> My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili, using the
>> black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will also add ground
>> beef
>> and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.
>>
>> Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more food.
>> could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

> I would never have a bean melange for New Years Day. The neighbors for
> blocks
> around would object to the smells emitted from the consumers of such guck.
> Don't you ever have conventional fare at your place?

I don't know what you mean by conventional fare. Black eyed peas are typical
New Year's food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/31/2018 3:55 PM, l not -l wrote:

>>> Nothing special.

>> +1
>> Beef stew, a biscuit and a couple of Cuties (mandarins). I will also
>> think
>> about the southern tradition of black eyed peas, frown and reject the
>> whole
>> idea and not give BEP's another thought. 8-)
>>

> I never give blackeyed peas much of a thought. Don't like them, it's a
> mealy texture thing. I do like slow cooked greens but I don't drench them
> in vinegar (just a splash or two of white or cider vinegar).
>
> I have had blackeyed peas and greens served to me but I've never cooked
> them for a specific holiday. She seems to be very fond of brown rice.
>
> Grilled or pan fried steak and squash. Works for me.

My gardener loves brown rice. I don't mind it, but I'd rather eat other
things. I can get it bulk for 65 cents a pound at Winco so that works for
me.

I ate black eyed peas at least once a week as a child. I love them!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 1:21:05 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> > > You know oddly, I do not recall seeing Gobo in Hawaii?

> > Neither did I. You really have to be looking for it. I had to ask the
> > produce guy about it. He said that he was sorry because all he had
> > was the stuff from Japan rather than the local stuff. He seemed a
> > little sad. You might miss it because it occupies so little space. I
> > don't think they sell gobo at the local Safeway though.

> I recall it as 2-3 foot long sticks in Japan. Here, it is cut to about
> 8 inch lengths in packs. Local grown here. Not hard to find but i
> learned it in Japan because I never saw it in Hawaii (or missed it).
>
> I did see Miso there, but it was in these big expensive (to me then)
> tubs and seemed to be a liquid that didnt match recipes I had. I
> learned it at the 'miso shop' at Tonoo market instead. She had some 15
> types in wood tubs an you told her with fingers how many 50g you wanted.

I saw some gobo, japan taro, lotus root, and bamboo shoot, set next to each other at the market. In one place, they were laid out on a folding table. Evidently, a lot of other people had the same idea to make this new year's dish.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...EeGlmyuWvImdcq
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:19:34 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 17:02:53 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> We're not having a party this year. So far, I have bought a cheese ball
>>> and
>>> some black eyed peas.
>>>
>>> My plan is on New Year's Day to make three bean and corn chili, using the
>>> black eyed peas for one of the types of beans. I will also add ground
>>> beef
>>> and make brown rice. Perhaps a salad too.

>> So .... this is like every other day at the Bove house. I can't
>> imagine you had a party any other year at the Bove house, either.
>>
>>> Not sure what I'll do for the Eve and I don't want to buy any more food.
>>> could make a small blackberry crisp. What are you doing?

>> This is another of your self-centered traps. You're not asking us
>> for suggestions for YOU, but you'll still manage to poo-poo most
>> everything WE plan to eat as it pertains to you (and everything
>> manages to pertain to you). Hopefully I will have just thwarted
>> that plan, if only for this one thread.

> Jinxy Steve! I didn't do that at all. Did I? And I *did* have a party here
> last year.

Your annual "New years Eve Foods?" post from last year mentioned
nothing about a party. And you would have mentioned it. A couple
of Angela's friends don't really count as a "party" (maybe for her,
but not you).

ObFood: My first food of 2019 was a can of mushy French Cut green
beans. Which fulfills my resolution to eat more vegetables
[brushing hands]. Do the French really cut their green beans that
way, or was that maybe in 1950's?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:11:48 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> It tastes really good. Some years back, my mom's Dr. told her to eat
> chickpea Miso.

Where does your family find all these quacks? You people are quack
magnets.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:19:34 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> So .... this is like every other day at the Bove house. I can't
>>> imagine you had a party any other year at the Bove house, either.

>>> This is another of your self-centered traps. You're not asking us
>>> for suggestions for YOU, but you'll still manage to poo-poo most
>>> everything WE plan to eat as it pertains to you (and everything
>>> manages to pertain to you). Hopefully I will have just thwarted
>>> that plan, if only for this one thread.

>> Jinxy Steve! I didn't do that at all. Did I? And I *did* have a party
>> here
>> last year.

> Your annual "New years Eve Foods?" post from last year mentioned
> nothing about a party. And you would have mentioned it. A couple
> of Angela's friends don't really count as a "party" (maybe for her,
> but not you).

It *was* Angela and her friends. I did the party for them including playing
DJ and giving dance lessons. Most of my friends don't live anywhere near
here, don't have cars, don't stay out late at night, etc. My gardener
brought me a huge outdoor table with umbrella and told me that now I could
have my friends over. I told him that wouldn't happen. Why? I would have
drive to where they were, pick them up and bring them back here. My best
friend has been here twice. I do go to her house quite a bit. But driving
her all the way here and back again is a bit much.

> ObFood: My first food of 2019 was a can of mushy French Cut green
> beans. Which fulfills my resolution to eat more vegetables
> [brushing hands]. Do the French really cut their green beans that
> way, or was that maybe in 1950's?

I had a hunk of a cheese ball with celery and a few crackers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 3:15:25 AM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:19:34 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> >> So .... this is like every other day at the Bove house. I can't
> >> imagine you had a party any other year at the Bove house, either.

> >> This is another of your self-centered traps. You're not asking us
> >> for suggestions for YOU, but you'll still manage to poo-poo most
> >> everything WE plan to eat as it pertains to you (and everything
> >> manages to pertain to you). Hopefully I will have just thwarted
> >> that plan, if only for this one thread.

> > Jinxy Steve! I didn't do that at all. Did I? And I *did* have a party here
> > last year.

> Your annual "New years Eve Foods?" post from last year mentioned
> nothing about a party. And you would have mentioned it. A couple
> of Angela's friends don't really count as a "party" (maybe for her,
> but not you).
>
> ObFood: My first food of 2019 was a can of mushy French Cut green
> beans. Which fulfills my resolution to eat more vegetables
> [brushing hands]. Do the French really cut their green beans that
> way, or was that maybe in 1950's?
>
> -sw

Not France the country, but "french", the cut. Another way of saying
"julienne" without needing to learn to spell it.

That's why "french fries" are called "french fries">

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:11:48 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> It tastes really good. Some years back, my mom's Dr. told her to eat
>> chickpea Miso.

> Where does your family find all these quacks? You people are quack
> magnets.
>
> -sw

That's funny!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I didn't grow up with any New Year's "traditions". I know blackeyed
> peas and greens are a thing... just not my thing.

Yeah, same with me. No traditions. Just another normal food day
for me.

Happy New Year to you and all others here. January 1 and the temp
is 70F here at 9am. You might have even warmer in SC. Nice start
to a new year, I suppose.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/1/2019 9:39 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I didn't grow up with any New Year's "traditions". I know blackeyed
>> peas and greens are a thing... just not my thing.

> Yeah, same with me. No traditions. Just another normal food day
> for me.
>
> Happy New Year to you and all others here. January 1 and the temp
> is 70F here at 9am. You might have even warmer in SC. Nice start
> to a new year, I suppose.

Yep, it was about 75F yesterday (and drizzly, so the humidity is back
with a vengeance). It's going to be near 70F today, January 1st.

Funny to think on January 9th of last year it snowed down here. I
hadn't seen snow in years. I enjoyed bundling up and tramping around in
it. Not much fun for people who get hit with it every year, I'm sure.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-01 10:07 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/1/2019 9:39 AM, Gary wrote:

>> Happy New Year to you and all others here. January 1 and the temp
>> is 70F here at 9am. You might have even warmer in SC. Nice start
>> to a new year, I suppose.
>>

> Yep, it was about 75F yesterday (and drizzly, so the humidity is back
> with a vengeance).Â* It's going to be near 70F today, January 1st.
>
> Funny to think on January 9th of last year it snowed down here.Â* I
> hadn't seen snow in years.Â* I enjoyed bundling up and tramping around in
> it.Â* Not much fun for people who get hit with it every year, I'm sure.
>
> Happy New Year to everyone!

Happy New Year to you too Jill.

I remember that snow storm that hit you down there. It caused a bit of
panic for me because I was going to be heading down that way about a
month later and was facing the possibility that a strange weather
pattern was going to destroy our plans. As it turned out, we had perfect
weather for our day.

We had only a little snow on Christmas. It has rained steadily for the
last two days and it looks like spring out there now. I'll take it. It
is better than ice and cold.