Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New Year's foods?

On 1/1/2019 10:52 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-01-01 10:07 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 1/1/2019 9:39 AM, Gary wrote:

>>> Happy New Year to you and all others here. January 1 and the temp
>>> is 70F here at 9am. You might have even warmer in SC. Nice start
>>> to a new year, I suppose.
>>>

>> Yep, it was about 75F yesterday (and drizzly, so the humidity is back
>> with a vengeance).Â* It's going to be near 70F today, January 1st.
>>
>> Funny to think on January 9th of last year it snowed down here.Â* I
>> hadn't seen snow in years.Â* I enjoyed bundling up and tramping around
>> in it.Â* Not much fun for people who get hit with it every year, I'm sure.
>>
>> Happy New Year to everyone!
>>

> Happy New Year to you too Jill.
>
> I remember that snow storm that hit you down there. It caused a bit of
> panic for me because I was going to be heading down that way about a
> month later and was facing the possibility that a strange weather
> pattern was going to destroy our plans. As it turned out, we had perfect
> weather for our day.

I remember that, Dave. It's usually a little cold but the snow was
completely unexpected. I enjoyed it. I'm glad it didn't screw up your
kayakking trip.

> We had only a little snow on Christmas. It has rained steadily for the
> last two days and it looks like spring out there now.Â* I'll take it.Â* It
> is better than ice and cold.

I never know how to dress in the winter. One day it's in the 60's or
70's, the next it's in the 30's. Fortunately I have clothes for all
seasons. Happy New Year!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-01 11:14 a.m., jmcquown wrote:

>> We had only a little snow on Christmas. It has rained steadily for the
>> last two days and it looks like spring out there now.Â* I'll take it.
>> It is better than ice and cold.
>>

> I never know how to dress in the winter.Â* One day it's in the 60's or
> 70's, the next it's in the 30's.Â* Fortunately I have clothes for all
> seasons.Â* Happy New Year!

It's much easier to plan on what to wear outside here in winter..... a
coat. It can be a parka, an overcoat, a heavy coat of some type. If it
is a relatively warm day you will be a little warm in the coat so you
don't do zip it up unless you are going to be out for a long time.
There will be a range of temperature where you might want it done up for
short stays outside. Hang a scarf over your shoulders and gloves in your
pocket on standby duty. Then when it gets cold you will want to put on
those gloves and wrap the scarf around your neck. And don't forget a
hat. Toques are very common. They can be used just to cover the top of
your head or they can be pulled down to cover the ears.

Basically, you have the same stuff on all the time, or very close at hand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

We're eating the Canadian Pork Pie I made a couple of days ago, and I made gorton for sandwiches for a few days. I sent hubby to McDonalds for a large Mocha Frappé. It's my guilty pleasure, seeing as I rarely drink booze. We were in bed by 9 pm last night.

Denise in warmish, sunny NH

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:11:48 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > It tastes really good. Some years back, my mom's Dr. told her to
> > eat chickpea Miso.

> Where does your family find all these quacks? You people are quack
> magnets.
>
> -sw

Chickpea 'Miso' exists but is very far from the real thing. It's like
a vegetarian burger made from flour and eggplant...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 1:21:05 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:

> > > Neither did I. You really have to be looking for it. I had to ask
> > > the produce guy about it. He said that he was sorry because all
> > > he had was the stuff from Japan rather than the local stuff. He
> > > seemed a little sad. You might miss it because it occupies so
> > > little space. I don't think they sell gobo at the local Safeway
> > > though.

> > I recall it as 2-3 foot long sticks in Japan. Here, it is cut to
> > about 8 inch lengths in packs. Local grown here. Not hard to find
> > but i learned it in Japan because I never saw it in Hawaii (or
> > missed it).
> >
> > I did see Miso there, but it was in these big expensive (to me then)
> > tubs and seemed to be a liquid that didnt match recipes I had. I
> > learned it at the 'miso shop' at Tonoo market instead. She had some
> > 15 types in wood tubs an you told her with fingers how many 50g you
> > wanted.

> I saw some gobo, japan taro, lotus root, and bamboo shoot, set next
> to each other at the market. In one place, they were laid out on a
> folding table. Evidently, a lot of other people had the same idea to
> make this new year's dish.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...EeGlmyuWvImdcq

That is some severely small eddo (Japan taro). I do not think I have
seen it that small before!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 3:32:06 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> That is some severely small eddo (Japan taro). I do not think I have
> seen it that small before!

You're right about that. I've never cooked that stuff myself. It's kind of a scary vegetable because you have to peel that ugly thing and cook it enough to make it edible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 19:28:55 -0600, cshenk wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:11:48 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> It tastes really good. Some years back, my mom's Dr. told her to
>>> eat chickpea Miso.

>> Where does your family find all these quacks? You people are quack
>> magnets.

> Chickpea 'Miso' exists but is very far from the real thing.

<yawn> I never implied it didn't exist. What I *was* implying was
that, while it does have some vitamins, it's irresponsible to tell
somebody to eat it for any significant source of vitamins because of
its extremely high salt content.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> wrote in message
>
> We're eating the Canadian Pork Pie I made a couple of days ago, and I made
> gorton for sandwiches for a few days. I sent hubby to McDonalds for a
> large Mocha Frappé. It's my guilty pleasure, seeing as I rarely drink
> booze. We were in bed by 9 pm last night.
>
> Denise in warmish, sunny NH
>
> ==
>
> Gorton?

There is a company called Gorton's. They make fish sticks. I don't think I'd
want those on a sandwich.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:11:48 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > It tastes really good. Some years back, my mom's Dr. told her to
>> > eat chickpea Miso.

>> Where does your family find all these quacks? You people are quack
>> magnets.
>>
>> -sw

> Chickpea 'Miso' exists but is very far from the real thing. It's like
> a vegetarian burger made from flour and eggplant...

That's not true at all. Miso is made of all sorts of things, including
barley and mushrooms. This is the company I originally ordered it from.

http://www.southrivermiso.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 19:28:55 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Where does your family find all these quacks? You people are quack
>>> magnets.

>> Chickpea 'Miso' exists but is very far from the real thing.

> <yawn> I never implied it didn't exist. What I *was* implying was
> that, while it does have some vitamins, it's irresponsible to tell
> somebody to eat it for any significant source of vitamins because of
> its extremely high salt content.

Nobody said to eat it for vitamins. I have no clue why she was supposed to
eat it, other than that it's fermented.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> wrote in message
>
> We're eating the Canadian Pork Pie I made a couple of days ago, and I made
> gorton for sandwiches for a few days. I sent hubby to McDonalds for a
> large Mocha Frappé. It's my guilty pleasure, seeing as I rarely drink
> booze. We were in bed by 9 pm last night.
>
> Denise in warmish, sunny NH
>
> ==
>
> Gorton?

There is a company called Gorton's. They make fish sticks. I don't think I'd
want those on a sandwich.

==

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia, gorton (sometimes called creton) is a cold pork spread made by most French grandmothers. It's kinda like a cold version of Canadian pork pie.

1 lb. ground pork
1 med. onion chopped
3 cups water
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground cloves.
1 tsp salt

Place all ingredients in heavy pan, simmer on low till all water is gone, may take a couple of hours or more. Chop meat as you occasionally stir.
When water has been cooked out, use immersion blender to smooth out mixture. Place gorton in a lidded container in fridge.

It's good on crackers, on toast with mustard, or a regular sandwich.

There are as many gorton recipes as there are French grannies.

Denise in NH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 8:48:44 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> Ophelia, gorton (sometimes called creton) is a cold pork spread made by most French grandmothers. It's kinda like a cold version of Canadian pork pie.
>
> 1 lb. ground pork
> 1 med. onion chopped
> 3 cups water
> 3/4 tsp cinnamon
> 3/4 tsp ground cloves.
> 1 tsp salt
>
> Place all ingredients in heavy pan, simmer on low till all water is gone, may take a couple of hours or more. Chop meat as you occasionally stir.
> When water has been cooked out, use immersion blender to smooth out mixture. Place gorton in a lidded container in fridge.
>
> It's good on crackers, on toast with mustard, or a regular sandwich.
>
> There are as many gorton recipes as there are French grannies.
>
> Denise in NH

It's a good thing to cook the food of the old folks - carrying on the traditions and all that. A Chinese cook would say that it would be a good idea to put some sugar in the pork.

I made some stuffed bitter melon last night. It was stuffed with ground pork, shrimp, and shitake mushrooms. I overcooked it a bit which made the bitter melon a bit mushy and less bitter. In this case, I wanted it to be more bitter.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...WjjreN-yV9HmDP

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message

Ophelia, gorton (sometimes called creton) is a cold pork spread made by most
French grandmothers. It's kinda like a cold version of Canadian pork pie.

1 lb. ground pork
1 med. onion chopped
3 cups water
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground cloves.
1 tsp salt

Place all ingredients in heavy pan, simmer on low till all water is gone,
may take a couple of hours or more. Chop meat as you occasionally stir.
When water has been cooked out, use immersion blender to smooth out mixture.
Place gorton in a lidded container in fridge.

It's good on crackers, on toast with mustard, or a regular sandwich.

There are as many gorton recipes as there are French grannies.

Denise in NH

==

Thank you! Would it work without the spices do you think?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 09:40:03 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>> Chickpea 'Miso' exists but is very far from the real thing.

>> <yawn> I never implied it didn't exist. What I *was* implying was
>> that, while it does have some vitamins, it's irresponsible to tell
>> somebody to eat it for any significant source of vitamins because of
>> its extremely high salt content.

> Nobody said to eat it for vitamins. I have no clue why she was supposed to
> eat it, other than that it's fermented.

Liar. You realize you just contradicted the shit out of yourself,
right? You should have used that shovel while you had the chance.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 09:37:10 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Where does your family find all these quacks? You people are quack
>>> magnets.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Chickpea 'Miso' exists but is very far from the real thing. It's like
>> a vegetarian burger made from flour and eggplant...

> That's not true at all. Miso is made of all sorts of things, including
> barley and mushrooms. This is the company I originally ordered it from.
>
> http://www.southrivermiso.com/

Miso is only made out of soybeans. No American company is going to
change a definition that's thousands of years old.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Ophelia, gorton (sometimes called creton) is a cold pork spread made by
> most French grandmothers. It's kinda like a cold version of Canadian pork
> pie.
>
> 1 lb. ground pork
> 1 med. onion chopped
> 3 cups water
> 3/4 tsp cinnamon
> 3/4 tsp ground cloves.
> 1 tsp salt
>
> Place all ingredients in heavy pan, simmer on low till all water is gone,
> may take a couple of hours or more. Chop meat as you occasionally stir.
> When water has been cooked out, use immersion blender to smooth out
> mixture. Place gorton in a lidded container in fridge.
>
> It's good on crackers, on toast with mustard, or a regular sandwich.
>
> There are as many gorton recipes as there are French grannies.
>
> Denise in NH

It's a good thing to cook the food of the old folks - carrying on the
traditions and all that. A Chinese cook would say that it would be a good
idea to put some sugar in the pork.

As you know, we don't like spices. Do you think something like
shoyu or similar might work instead?

I made some stuffed bitter melon last night. It was stuffed with ground
pork, shrimp, and shitake mushrooms. I overcooked it a bit which made the
bitter melon a bit mushy and less bitter. In this case, I wanted it to be
more bitter.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...WjjreN-yV9HmDP

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 10:20:53 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 8:48:44 AM UTC-10,
> wrote:
> > Ophelia, gorton (sometimes called creton) is a cold pork spread made by
> > most French grandmothers. It's kinda like a cold version of Canadian pork
> > pie.
> >
> > 1 lb. ground pork
> > 1 med. onion chopped
> > 3 cups water
> > 3/4 tsp cinnamon
> > 3/4 tsp ground cloves.
> > 1 tsp salt
> >
> > Place all ingredients in heavy pan, simmer on low till all water is gone,
> > may take a couple of hours or more. Chop meat as you occasionally stir.
> > When water has been cooked out, use immersion blender to smooth out
> > mixture. Place gorton in a lidded container in fridge.
> >
> > It's good on crackers, on toast with mustard, or a regular sandwich.
> >
> > There are as many gorton recipes as there are French grannies.
> >
> > Denise in NH

> It's a good thing to cook the food of the old folks - carrying on the
> traditions and all that. A Chinese cook would say that it would be a good
> idea to put some sugar in the pork.
>

> As you know, we don't like spices. Do you think something like
> shoyu or similar might work instead?
>
> I made some stuffed bitter melon last night. It was stuffed with ground
> pork, shrimp, and shitake mushrooms. I overcooked it a bit which made the
> bitter melon a bit mushy and less bitter. In this case, I wanted it to be
> more bitter.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...WjjreN-yV9HmDP

If you're talking about the gorton recipe, I'd probably leave out the cinnamon and cloves. But then, it wouldn't be gorton. I guess it would be something without a name.

As far as the stuffed bitter melon goes, the stuffing gets seasoned with sesame oil, sugar, black bean sauce, garlic, oyster sauce, and soy sauce. The Chinese technique of combining pork and shrimp is pretty brilliant. You can't tell if it's pork or shrimp. Hee hee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" wrote in message ...

On 2-Jan-2019, "Ophelia" > wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> >

> > wrote in message
> >
> > We're eating the Canadian Pork Pie I made a couple of days ago, and I
> > made
> > gorton for sandwiches for a few days. I sent hubby to McDonalds for a
> > large Mocha Frappé. It's my guilty pleasure, seeing as I rarely drink
> > booze. We were in bed by 9 pm last night.
> >
> > Denise in warmish, sunny NH
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Gorton?

> There is a company called Gorton's. They make fish sticks. I don't think
> I'd
> want those on a sandwich.
>
> ==
>
> Thanks.

gorton is a pork spread; think potted meat-like.

===

Thanks, yes, I have it now)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> wrote in message
>
> Ophelia, gorton (sometimes called creton) is a cold pork spread made
> by most French grandmothers. It's kinda like a cold version of
> Canadian pork pie.
>
> 1 lb. ground pork
> 1 med. onion chopped
> 3 cups water
> 3/4 tsp cinnamon
> 3/4 tsp ground cloves.
> 1 tsp salt
>
> Place all ingredients in heavy pan, simmer on low till all water is
> gone, may take a couple of hours or more. Chop meat as you
> occasionally stir. When water has been cooked out, use immersion
> blender to smooth out mixture. Place gorton in a lidded container in
> fridge.
>
> It's good on crackers, on toast with mustard, or a regular sandwich.
>
> There are as many gorton recipes as there are French grannies.
>
> Denise in NH
>
> ==
>
> Thank you! Would it work without the spices do you think?

No, it would not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 10:20:53 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 8:48:44 AM UTC-10,
> wrote:
> > Ophelia, gorton (sometimes called creton) is a cold pork spread made by
> > most French grandmothers. It's kinda like a cold version of Canadian
> > pork
> > pie.
> >
> > 1 lb. ground pork
> > 1 med. onion chopped
> > 3 cups water
> > 3/4 tsp cinnamon
> > 3/4 tsp ground cloves.
> > 1 tsp salt
> >
> > Place all ingredients in heavy pan, simmer on low till all water is
> > gone,
> > may take a couple of hours or more. Chop meat as you occasionally stir.
> > When water has been cooked out, use immersion blender to smooth out
> > mixture. Place gorton in a lidded container in fridge.
> >
> > It's good on crackers, on toast with mustard, or a regular sandwich.
> >
> > There are as many gorton recipes as there are French grannies.
> >
> > Denise in NH

> It's a good thing to cook the food of the old folks - carrying on the
> traditions and all that. A Chinese cook would say that it would be a good
> idea to put some sugar in the pork.
>

> As you know, we don't like spices. Do you think something like
> shoyu or similar might work instead?
>
> I made some stuffed bitter melon last night. It was stuffed with ground
> pork, shrimp, and shitake mushrooms. I overcooked it a bit which made the
> bitter melon a bit mushy and less bitter. In this case, I wanted it to be
> more bitter.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...WjjreN-yV9HmDP

If you're talking about the gorton recipe, I'd probably leave out the
cinnamon and cloves. But then, it wouldn't be gorton. I guess it would be
something without a name.

As far as the stuffed bitter melon goes, the stuffing gets seasoned with
sesame oil, sugar, black bean sauce, garlic, oyster sauce, and soy sauce.
The Chinese technique of combining pork and shrimp is pretty brilliant. You
can't tell if it's pork or shrimp. Hee hee.

===

Enjoy my portion ;p From descriptions it is potted meat so I could add
whatever I want. I have saved the recipe and give it a go when I have more
time

Thank you Denise ))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 09:40:03 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> <yawn> I never implied it didn't exist. What I *was* implying was
>>> that, while it does have some vitamins, it's irresponsible to tell
>>> somebody to eat it for any significant source of vitamins because of
>>> its extremely high salt content.

>> Nobody said to eat it for vitamins. I have no clue why she was supposed
>> eat it, other than that it's fermented.

> Liar. You realize you just contradicted the shit out of yourself,
> right? You should have used that shovel while you had the chance.

What? All I know is that she was told by her Dr. to eat it. She said nothing
about vitamins.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It would work, but it would be very bland.

Denise

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 10:20:45 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 10:20:53 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 8:48:44 AM UTC-10,
> > wrote:
> > > Ophelia, gorton (sometimes called creton) is a cold pork spread made by
> > > most French grandmothers. It's kinda like a cold version of Canadian
> > > pork
> > > pie.
> > >
> > > 1 lb. ground pork
> > > 1 med. onion chopped
> > > 3 cups water
> > > 3/4 tsp cinnamon
> > > 3/4 tsp ground cloves.
> > > 1 tsp salt
> > >
> > > Place all ingredients in heavy pan, simmer on low till all water is
> > > gone,
> > > may take a couple of hours or more. Chop meat as you occasionally stir.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 10:20:45 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 10:20:53 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 8:48:44 AM UTC-10,
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Ophelia, gorton (sometimes called creton) is a cold pork spread made
> > > by
> > > most French grandmothers. It's kinda like a cold version of Canadian
> > > pork
> > > pie.
> > >
> > > 1 lb. ground pork
> > > 1 med. onion chopped
> > > 3 cups water
> > > 3/4 tsp cinnamon
> > > 3/4 tsp ground cloves.
> > > 1 tsp salt
> > >
> > > Place all ingredients in heavy pan, simmer on low till all water is
> > > gone,
> > > may take a couple of hours or more. Chop meat as you occasionally
> > > stir.
> > > When water has been cooked out, use immersion blender to smooth out
> > > mixture. Place gorton in a lidded container in fridge.
> > >
> > > It's good on crackers, on toast with mustard, or a regular sandwich.
> > >
> > > There are as many gorton recipes as there are French grannies.
> > >
> > > Denise in NH

> > It's a good thing to cook the food of the old folks - carrying on the
> > traditions and all that. A Chinese cook would say that it would be a
> > good
> > idea to put some sugar in the pork.
> >

> > As you know, we don't like spices. Do you think something
> > like
> > shoyu or similar might work instead?
> >
> > I made some stuffed bitter melon last night. It was stuffed with ground
> > pork, shrimp, and shitake mushrooms. I overcooked it a bit which made
> > the
> > bitter melon a bit mushy and less bitter. In this case, I wanted it to
> > be
> > more bitter.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...WjjreN-yV9HmDP

> If you're talking about the gorton recipe, I'd probably leave out the
> cinnamon and cloves. But then, it wouldn't be gorton. I guess it would be
> something without a name.
>
> As far as the stuffed bitter melon goes, the stuffing gets seasoned with
> sesame oil, sugar, black bean sauce, garlic, oyster sauce, and soy sauce.
> The Chinese technique of combining pork and shrimp is pretty brilliant.
> You
> can't tell if it's pork or shrimp. Hee hee.
>
> ===
>
> Enjoy my portion ;p From descriptions it is potted meat so I could add
> whatever I want. I have saved the recipe and give it a go when I have
> more
> time
>
> Thank you Denise ))

Shrimp and sugar might work. I have a jar of pork floss that I should be
using up. Pork floss is pork that resembles, and has the texture, of cotton
candy. That might work - or not.

Last night, I saw a documentary on the last flying Vulcan nuclear deterrent
bomber. On it's very last flight, it did a tour of the UK and a lot of you
guys were out to see this bird for the final time.

The Vulcan is as iconic to the Brits as is the B-52 is to Americans. I'll
have to admit that the Vulcan is more beautiful and leaves a bigger
impression in flight when you see it from the ground though. As an added
bonus, it lets out a most peculiar howl at near full throttle. That was
totally awesome!

====

The Vulcan is my favourite aircraft of all time We were at a camp in
Lincolnshire where they were based.

I am pleased you were impressed

Pork candy eh? Nah I can't see him liking that much lol

Tomorrow I am making 'Dashi-Braised Chicken Thighs' I know he will like
that))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 4, 2019 at 10:33:01 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 10:20:45 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 10:20:53 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > > "dsi1" wrote in message

> > > It's a good thing to cook the food of the old folks - carrying on the
> > > traditions and all that. A Chinese cook would say that it would be a
> > > good
> > > idea to put some sugar in the pork.
> > >

> > > As you know, we don't like spices. Do you think something
> > > like
> > > shoyu or similar might work instead?
> > >
> > > I made some stuffed bitter melon last night. It was stuffed with ground
> > > pork, shrimp, and shitake mushrooms. I overcooked it a bit which made
> > > the
> > > bitter melon a bit mushy and less bitter. In this case, I wanted it to
> > > be
> > > more bitter.
> > >
> > > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...WjjreN-yV9HmDP

> > If you're talking about the gorton recipe, I'd probably leave out the
> > cinnamon and cloves. But then, it wouldn't be gorton. I guess it would be
> > something without a name.
> >
> > As far as the stuffed bitter melon goes, the stuffing gets seasoned with
> > sesame oil, sugar, black bean sauce, garlic, oyster sauce, and soy sauce.
> > The Chinese technique of combining pork and shrimp is pretty brilliant.
> > You
> > can't tell if it's pork or shrimp. Hee hee.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > Enjoy my portion ;p From descriptions it is potted meat so I could add
> > whatever I want. I have saved the recipe and give it a go when I have
> > more
> > time
> >
> > Thank you Denise ))

> Shrimp and sugar might work. I have a jar of pork floss that I should be
> using up. Pork floss is pork that resembles, and has the texture, of cotton
> candy. That might work - or not.
>
> Last night, I saw a documentary on the last flying Vulcan nuclear deterrent
> bomber. On it's very last flight, it did a tour of the UK and a lot of you
> guys were out to see this bird for the final time.
>
> The Vulcan is as iconic to the Brits as is the B-52 is to Americans. I'll
> have to admit that the Vulcan is more beautiful and leaves a bigger
> impression in flight when you see it from the ground though. As an added
> bonus, it lets out a most peculiar howl at near full throttle. That was
> totally awesome!
>
> ====
>
> The Vulcan is my favourite aircraft of all time We were at a camp in
> Lincolnshire where they were based.
>
> I am pleased you were impressed
>
> Pork candy eh? Nah I can't see him liking that much lol
>
> Tomorrow I am making 'Dashi-Braised Chicken Thighs' I know he will like
> that))

I have to thank you Brits for all the wonderful machines you've designed over the years. They were not perfect but they embodied the robustness and spirit of the English people in a most perfect way.

Good luck with the chicken thighs. I'll have to make some shoyu chicken myself. The weird thing is that the shoyu chicken is good but the sauce made from the boiling liquid is the stuff dreams are made from. Yes, yes!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

> Last night, I saw a documentary on the last flying Vulcan nuclear
> deterrent
> bomber. On it's very last flight, it did a tour of the UK and a lot of you
> guys were out to see this bird for the final time.
>
> The Vulcan is as iconic to the Brits as is the B-52 is to Americans. I'll
> have to admit that the Vulcan is more beautiful and leaves a bigger
> impression in flight when you see it from the ground though. As an added
> bonus, it lets out a most peculiar howl at near full throttle. That was
> totally awesome!
>
> ====
>
> The Vulcan is my favourite aircraft of all time We were at a camp in
> Lincolnshire where they were based.
>
> I am pleased you were impressed
>
> Pork candy eh? Nah I can't see him liking that much lol
>
> Tomorrow I am making 'Dashi-Braised Chicken Thighs' I know he will like
> that))

I have to thank you Brits for all the wonderful machines you've designed
over the years. They were not perfect but they embodied the robustness and
spirit of the English people in a most perfect way.

Good luck with the chicken thighs. I'll have to make some shoyu chicken
myself. The weird thing is that the shoyu chicken is good but the sauce made
from the boiling liquid is the stuff dreams are made from. Yes, yes!
==

lol Yes, It is good)) After cooking the chicken I boil the sauce and
then
freeze it)

I have been looking again at JM making her shoyu chicken and I didn't learn
from her about adding onions and leeks. They must have been just something
I fancied <g> I do tend to work like that)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 4, 2019 at 11:32:09 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> lol Yes, It is good)) After cooking the chicken I boil the sauce and
> then
> freeze it)
>
> I have been looking again at JM making her shoyu chicken and I didn't learn
> from her about adding onions and leeks. They must have been just something
> I fancied <g> I do tend to work like that)

You have to prepare foods the way you see it in your mind. I usually cook food in my mind before I make it. Things go a lot smoother that way. Leeks and onions are not typically used in shoyu chicken but I can see it in my mind too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--

Are you likely to try it? It gives the sauce some body. Looking back I
think that was the problem. The flavour is great but it was very thin. D.