Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mushroom Spinach Stuffs!

"John Kuthe" wrote in message

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 7:26:08 AM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 4:21:49 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Bruce" wrote in message
> >
> > On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:33:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> > wrote:
> >

> > >"Bruce" wrote in message
> > .. .

> > >Yes. In the Netherlands, things slowly started to improve in the late
> > >60s, with the French and Italian influence. Chinese too, but not so
> > >much for home cooking. Indonesian cuisine had always been a factor.
> > >
> > >===
> > >
> > >Pretty much here too, although curries were popular back in the day.
> > >
> > >I got hooked on Italian cooking very early on and I loved it)

> > I guess what Indian food was for the UK, Indonesian was for the
> > Netherlands.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I expect so. Curries never did it for me What kind of food was
> > Indonesian?

> Your taste buds would probably call it "curry".
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ===
>
> Our tastes buds will tell us that 'anything' spicy is curry.

Capsaicins! Cayenne pepper!

John Kuthe...

==

No thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 04:24:03 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 4:21:49 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Bruce" wrote in message ...
>>
>> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:33:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"Bruce" wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >Yes. In the Netherlands, things slowly started to improve in the late
>> >60s, with the French and Italian influence. Chinese too, but not so
>> >much for home cooking. Indonesian cuisine had always been a factor.
>> >
>> >===
>> >
>> >Pretty much here too, although curries were popular back in the day.
>> >
>> >I got hooked on Italian cooking very early on and I loved it)

>> I guess what Indian food was for the UK, Indonesian was for the
>> Netherlands.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I expect so. Curries never did it for me What kind of food was
>> Indonesian?

>Your taste buds would probably call it "curry".

As long as that doesn't suggest Indonesian tastes like Indian, because
it doesn't.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 07:20:57 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 7:26:08 AM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>>
>> On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 4:21:49 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>> > "Bruce" wrote in message

>> > .. .

>> > I guess what Indian food was for the UK, Indonesian was for the
>> > Netherlands.
>> >
>> > ==
>> >
>> > I expect so. Curries never did it for me What kind of food was
>> > Indonesian?

>> Your taste buds would probably call it "curry".
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>
>> ===
>>
>> Our tastes buds will tell us that 'anything' spicy is curry.

>Capsaicins! Cayenne pepper!
>
>John Kuthe...

Then that would be Mayan cookery.
Capsaicins are relatively new to the rest of the world.
This is an excellent cookbook, and adding hot peppers to the dishes is
totally discretionary. Restaurants don't include the hot peppers,
they are sauces served at table.
https://www.amazon.com/Foods-Maya-Yu...ds+of+the+maya

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 10:41:13 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:33:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Bruce" wrote in message ...
> >
> >On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 09:44:43 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >>I'm pretty sure when people talk about "Anglo-Saxon" cooking, they mean
> >>English cooking of the 19th and 20th Century.

> >Yes. In the Netherlands, things slowly started to improve in the late
> >60s, with the French and Italian influence. Chinese too, but not so
> >much for home cooking. Indonesian cuisine had always been a factor.
> >
> >===
> >
> >Pretty much here too, although curries were popular back in the day.
> >
> >I got hooked on Italian cooking very early on and I loved it)

> I guess what Indian food was for the UK, Indonesian was for the
> Netherlands.

Edward and Alex Van Halen would be Indo-Dutch as were these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOZl7gXj_io
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 3:26:08 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 4:21:49 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Bruce" wrote in message
> >
> > On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:33:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> > wrote:
> >

> > >"Bruce" wrote in message
> > .. .

> > >Yes. In the Netherlands, things slowly started to improve in the late
> > >60s, with the French and Italian influence. Chinese too, but not so
> > >much for home cooking. Indonesian cuisine had always been a factor.
> > >
> > >===
> > >
> > >Pretty much here too, although curries were popular back in the day.
> > >
> > >I got hooked on Italian cooking very early on and I loved it)

> > I guess what Indian food was for the UK, Indonesian was for the
> > Netherlands.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I expect so. Curries never did it for me What kind of food was
> > Indonesian?

> Your taste buds would probably call it "curry".
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ===
>
> Our tastes buds will tell us that 'anything' spicy is curry.

We went to the Indian Cafe in Kailua yesterday for lunch but they are now the Himalayan Kitchen. I don't know what Himalayan food is but I liked it more than the Indian stuff which was more heat than flavor. The new Himalayan food is still pretty spicy though.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...wK4l0pxdPgAtGv

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 11:39:25 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 10:41:13 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:33:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"Bruce" wrote in message ...

>> >Yes. In the Netherlands, things slowly started to improve in the late
>> >60s, with the French and Italian influence. Chinese too, but not so
>> >much for home cooking. Indonesian cuisine had always been a factor.
>> >
>> >===
>> >
>> >Pretty much here too, although curries were popular back in the day.
>> >
>> >I got hooked on Italian cooking very early on and I loved it)

>> I guess what Indian food was for the UK, Indonesian was for the
>> Netherlands.

>Edward and Alex Van Halen would be Indo-Dutch as were these guys:
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOZl7gXj_io

Yes, and these guys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R1gKBkr8tU
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 10:08:16 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 11:39:25 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi>
> wrote:
>
> >On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 10:41:13 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> >> I guess what Indian food was for the UK, Indonesian was for the
> >> Netherlands.

> >Edward and Alex Van Halen would be Indo-Dutch as were these guys:
> >
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOZl7gXj_io

> Yes, and these guys:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R1gKBkr8tU

The were obviously influenced by the Everly Brothers. But then again, who wasn't?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 10:41:13 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:33:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Bruce" wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> >On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 09:44:43 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
> >
> >>On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 12:14:25 PM UTC-5, Fruitiest of
> >>Fruitcakes

> >>I'm pretty sure when people talk about "Anglo-Saxon" cooking, they mean
> >>English cooking of the 19th and 20th Century.

> >Yes. In the Netherlands, things slowly started to improve in the late
> >60s, with the French and Italian influence. Chinese too, but not so
> >much for home cooking. Indonesian cuisine had always been a factor.
> >
> >===
> >
> >Pretty much here too, although curries were popular back in the day.
> >
> >I got hooked on Italian cooking very early on and I loved it)

> I guess what Indian food was for the UK, Indonesian was for the
> Netherlands.

Edward and Alex Van Halen would be Indo-Dutch as were these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOZl7gXj_io

==

Yayy love it

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 12:24:03 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 10:08:16 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 11:39:25 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi>
>> wrote:

>> >Edward and Alex Van Halen would be Indo-Dutch as were these guys:
>> >
>> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOZl7gXj_io

>> Yes, and these guys:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R1gKBkr8tU

>The were obviously influenced by the Everly Brothers. But then again, who wasn't?

Yes, definitely.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 3:26:08 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 4:21:49 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Bruce" wrote in message
> >
> > On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 20:33:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> > wrote:
> >

> > >"Bruce" wrote in message
> > .. .

> > >Yes. In the Netherlands, things slowly started to improve in the late
> > >60s, with the French and Italian influence. Chinese too, but not so
> > >much for home cooking. Indonesian cuisine had always been a factor.
> > >
> > >===
> > >
> > >Pretty much here too, although curries were popular back in the day.
> > >
> > >I got hooked on Italian cooking very early on and I loved it)

> > I guess what Indian food was for the UK, Indonesian was for the
> > Netherlands.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I expect so. Curries never did it for me What kind of food was
> > Indonesian?

> Your taste buds would probably call it "curry".
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ===
>
> Our tastes buds will tell us that 'anything' spicy is curry.

We went to the Indian Cafe in Kailua yesterday for lunch but they are now
the Himalayan Kitchen. I don't know what Himalayan food is but I liked it
more than the Indian stuff which was more heat than flavor. The new
Himalayan food is still pretty spicy though.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...wK4l0pxdPgAtGv

==

Hmm yes. I like what you say about 'heat'! I lived in New Delhi for a
while but our cook had worked at the Saudi embassy and didn't make 'hot'
food.

I could eat what he made (of course he might have deliberately made 'cooler'
food) for me <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 10:25:48 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> Yayy love it

They're playing Gibson Les Paul guitars which is fairly unusual at the time because they were seen mostly as Jazz guitars. In fact, that guy was doing some pretty good Les Paul style playing. Those two guitar would be worth around $260,000 these days. They are pretty much the most valuable guitars in existence.

The Tielman Brothers were unknown in the US until the advent of Youtube. It flipped my wig when I first saw their video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prFQJfasclo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 11:01:30 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Hmm yes. I like what you say about 'heat'! I lived in New Delhi for a
> while but our cook had worked at the Saudi embassy and didn't make 'hot'
> food.
>
> I could eat what he made (of course he might have deliberately made 'cooler'
> food) for me <g>

I think you can pretty much count on that's what happened. It's what good cooks do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 10:25:48 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> Yayy love it

They're playing Gibson Les Paul guitars which is fairly unusual at the time
because they were seen mostly as Jazz guitars. In fact, that guy was doing
some pretty good Les Paul style playing. Those two guitar would be worth
around $260,000 these days. They are pretty much the most valuable guitars
in existence.

The Tielman Brothers were unknown in the US until the advent of Youtube. It
flipped my wig when I first saw their video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prFQJfasclo

===

Cool )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 11:01:30 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Hmm yes. I like what you say about 'heat'! I lived in New Delhi for a
> while but our cook had worked at the Saudi embassy and didn't make 'hot'
> food.
>
> I could eat what he made (of course he might have deliberately made
> 'cooler'
> food) for me <g>

I think you can pretty much count on that's what happened. It's what good
cooks do.

----

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-01 1:24 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 10:08:16 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 11:39:25 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi>
>> wrote:

>>> Edward and Alex Van Halen would be Indo-Dutch as were these guys:
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOZl7gXj_io

>> Yes, and these guys:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R1gKBkr8tU

> The were obviously influenced by the Everly Brothers.

Who?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...09552749050772
> > 0_7719929425063575552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=sco ntent-ort2-2.xx&oh
> > =a
> >68fef46929ae9ad8c547079b78de243&oe=5CCBE75E >>>> > >>>> > Sliced
> >mushrooms and a bag of fresh spinach, lots of EVOO and >>>> > freshly
> >ground black pepper! >>>> > >>>> > I like putting some on the green
> >beans or broccoli I steam and eat! >>>> >

> >> I was just trying to keep it simple. Mushrooms, EVOO, black pepper
> >> of course, and spinach. I put a bunch of butter in last batch which
> >> was yummy, but this time I just left it EVOO only.
> > >
> >> What is an Angelo?

> > A follower of the Anglo-Saxon tradition. Not a tradition known for
> > its cuisine
> >
> > ===
> >
> > True enough. It was always very homely and plain, but these days ..
> > not the same at all)

> Actually, long before France was known for cooking, the best came to
> England to learn. Queen Elizabeth I times aall nd I think, her
> Father's time as well?
>
> English quisine is the quintessential of simplicity with basics well
> made. It is now quite different in some ways due to embracing influx
> of others, but the old dishes still shine. Cottage pie didnt go away
> when lentil curry came on the menu.
>
> ==
>
> Yes, the old dishes are still made and appreciated, but, so many
> other cuisines are prevalent now and there are many choices, which is
> a Good Thing
>
> Way back in the day, I lived in Malta for 4 years (courtesy of the
> military) and I was immersed in Maltese and Italian cooking. I loved
> it all)
>
> You are right though, our basic cooking is very good.

American cooking is very different. I'd call it (gasp, watch for the
complaints) 'muddied' in some ways. It's a melting pot and rarely
really 'distinct' to a pure food item.

We've fusioned bits of all the world (and are not at all alone in
fusion cooking) to the point where the only thing you can call
'American Cooking' will probably not be very accurate except to a small
portion of it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 11:29:39 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:

> Who?

You might not know who Phil and Don Everly are but you have certainly heard their influence in pop music - it was and still is far ranging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3TzP-o4vhs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 19:23:29 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 11:29:39 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
>

>> Who?

>You might not know who Phil and Don Everly are but you have certainly heard their influence in pop music - it was and still is far ranging.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3TzP-o4vhs

He only knows Cliff Richard and Engelbert Humperdinck.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 11:29:39 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:

> Who?

You might not know who Phil and Don Everly are but you have certainly heard
their influence in pop music - it was and still is far ranging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3TzP-o4vhs

==

The Everly Brothers were big over here for a long time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, graham >
wrote:

> On 2019-01-01 1:24 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

> > The were obviously influenced by the Everly Brothers.

> Who?

Not "The Who"; "The Everly Brothers"!

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 11:19:38 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 11:29:39 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
>

> > Who?

> You might not know who Phil and Don Everly are but you have certainly heard
> their influence in pop music - it was and still is far ranging.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3TzP-o4vhs
>
> ==
>
> The Everly Brothers were big over here for a long time.

They sure were. Lennon and McCartney have always said that Phil and Don were a big influence in their music.

"When John and I first started to write songs, I was Phil and he was Don" - Paul McCartney.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 11:19:38 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 11:29:39 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
>

> > Who?

> You might not know who Phil and Don Everly are but you have certainly
> heard
> their influence in pop music - it was and still is far ranging.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3TzP-o4vhs
>
> ==
>
> The Everly Brothers were big over here for a long time.

They sure were. Lennon and McCartney have always said that Phil and Don were
a big influence in their music.

"When John and I first started to write songs, I was Phil and he was Don" -
Paul McCartney.

==

Yep)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 5:13:24 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >, graham >
> wrote:
>
> > On 2019-01-01 1:24 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

> > > The were obviously influenced by the Everly Brothers.

> > Who?

> Not "The Who"; "The Everly Brothers"!
>
> leo

Who's on first?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 5:05:04 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 5:13:24 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> > In article >, graham >
> > wrote:

> > > Who?

> > Not "The Who"; "The Everly Brothers"!
> >
> > leo

> Who's on first?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

What's on Second, I Don't Know's on Third!

John Kuthe...