Old 31-12-2018, 06:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Does CBD Really Do Anything?

On 12/29/2018 3:57 PM, GM wrote:

All these people are making claims, Abrams said, but right now, theres little verification. Its the Wild West..."

IMO, there is "little verification" cuz the US govt makes research on
cannabis almost illegal.

I'll verify one thing. Some, Indica strains cause me to sleep better
and WITHOUT dreams! Not all strains, I jes discovered, as I jes bought
some Afghani Indica strain and I dreamt --severely!-- unlike the typical
Indica I usually buy.

I guess I keep looking for that strain that will get me "high" (I
stopped getting high, yrs ago), which the strain I usually buy (no
dreams) does not.

nb --gotta go shovel snow

Old 31-12-2018, 06:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 11:17:01 AM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
IMO, there is "little verification" cuz the US govt makes research on
cannabis almost illegal.

**** the U.S Government!! The U.S. Government MADE CANNABIS ILLEGAL IN THE FIRST PLACE!!

I DO NOT TRUST the U.S. Government!!! It has been BOUGHT BY BIG PHARMA!!!! And BIG OIL!! A HISTORY of POOR CHOICES.

I'll verify one thing. Some, Indica strains cause me to sleep better
and WITHOUT dreams! Not all strains, I jes discovered, as I jes bought
some Afghani Indica strain and I dreamt --severely!-- unlike the typical
Indica I usually buy.

Yep! Anecdotal reports, but corroborated by others I've heard including ME!! And some Vets I saw on a The Sacred Plant show on the medicinal effects of cannabis.

I guess I keep looking for that strain that will get me "high" (I
stopped getting high, yrs ago), which the strain I usually buy (no
dreams) does not.

Yep, the "high" is a side effect! Why I got into it too, 40+ years ago!

John Kuthe, KutheChocolates.com...
Old 31-12-2018, 07:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I take one opioid 4 times a day, alternating times I take it with a high-dose acetaminophen together with
Gabapentin, which I started taking for muscle spasms after my spinal fusion surgery. The gabo really
doesn't do anything, but my doctor thinks it does, so I continue to take it. Still, even with the meds, I also can
stand or walk for only 5-10 minutes at a time, have to lean both forearms on the sink counter while I peel or
chop veggies, and have to split up my baking into two sessions with major rest time between. But, like someone
said, we all have our health issues. Big whoop. ;-))

N.
Old 31-12-2018, 07:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 12:29:48 PM UTC-6, Nancy2 wrote:

Still, even with the meds, I also can
stand or walk for only 5-10 minutes at a time, have to lean both forearms on the sink counter while I peel or
chop veggies, and have to split up my baking into two sessions with major rest time between. But, like someone
said, we all have our health issues. Big whoop. ;-))

N.

I don't have any back problems, thank you Jesus, but tiresome jobs like peeling
potatoes or shrimp I will sit down. Pan of cool water to drop whatever I've
peeled into and a section of newspaper in my lap to catch peelings or shells,
or whatever.

MY most tiresome job is washing turnip greens as every single leaf has to be
examined for those tiny bugs that cling to the back of the leaf. Then into
the other bowl of the sink that also has cold water in it for another rinsing.
Fortunately, tasty turnip greens can be bought from the Margaret Holmes
packing company and already seasoned, too.

Old 31-12-2018, 07:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Thanks, Greg. I've recently been put on gabapentin, which does help
my chronic insomnia, but doesn't do much for pain. Even though I
grew up in the 60s, I've never done drugs or even smoked pot, but I
intend to before I leave this earth. NH hasn't legalized
recreational pot yet, but we do have a medicinal pot store down the
street. Beside other painful conditions, I have costochondritis,
which is an inflamed rib cage. Rheumatologist says no painkiller
will touch it, so far he's right. Standing for more than ten minutes
kills me. Chopping veggies or washing dishes is getting almost
impossible. It feels like pleurisy, but isn't. Oh well, we all have
our health issues.

I'll be making Canadian pork pies and gorton tomorrow, so I'll do the
chopping today and the assembly and cooking tomorrow. I don't intend
to give up my favorite foods because of this stupid condition.

Denise in NH

Sorry to hear that Denise. I don't have the same issue driving things,
but share a near chopping and standing issue. (spine issues in my case)

If it helps, I post a fair number of real live recipes and mine
accomodate the standing issues we share. I am probably lucky compared
to you as if I am moving/walking, I can be on my feet relatively well
for an hour and can tough through 2 hours (grocery shopping etc.).

You won't see me standing over a stove and stirring for 20 minutes (out
of my league/capability).

Would it help if I listed some of the accomodations I have discovered?
I don't want to be rude or presumptuous as you are a smart lady, but I
may have stumbled over some tricks you have not. I would apprecate the
same in return!

Old 31-12-2018, 08:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 11:25:57 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Yes, it did come up in my research, and it can help some people
with insomnia.

It does seem like many are trying hard to attribute marijuana
stuff to be the magical elixor to fix all known problems. For
insomnia, an ounce or two of alcohol an hour before bed works.

For some people, it causes them to wake up again in the middle
of the night and be unable to fall back asleep.

Eating a somewhat decent amount of food before bedtime will also
take you out. Might not be the healthy thing to do but it works.

People with acid reflux are told to let several hours elapse between
dinner and bedtime.

This Christmas time I had a very bad nerve problem. I did 4 days
and 3 nights without any sleep. Constant pain. That was not so
fun but I survived it.

Imagine if you had that kind of pain for years.

That's why my husband takes four different pain medications on
a daily basis, including two different opioids.

Cindy Hamilton

Sad smile. I feel for your husband.
Old 31-12-2018, 09:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" wrote in message

I take one opioid 4 times a day, alternating times I take it with a
high-dose acetaminophen together with
Gabapentin, which I started taking for muscle spasms after my spinal fusion
surgery. The gabo really
doesn't do anything, but my doctor thinks it does, so I continue to take it.
Still, even with the meds, I also can
stand or walk for only 5-10 minutes at a time, have to lean both forearms on
the sink counter while I peel or
chop veggies, and have to split up my baking into two sessions with major
rest time between. But, like someone
said, we all have our health issues. Big whoop. ;-))

N.

==

I know what you mean I don't know what Gabapentin is, but I am allowed 2
opioids 4 times a day. I try not to take them all because tbh I am a bit
scared of them, but they do the job

Old 12-01-2019, 04:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 8:19:19 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

One thing it does appear to do is interfere with metabolism of various
drugs, including antidepressants, resulting in higher-than-expected
levels
of those drugs in the blood stream.

I take quite a lot of drugs for Asthma. Any idea if that would
be a
problem?

Probably not. My husband also has asthma, and he's just applied for
his medical marijuana card. His doctor knows what he takes for
asthma and saw no contraindications. Here's a rather wonky slide show
on drug interactions:

https://doh.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/doh/publication/attachments/Medical%20Cannabis%20Adverse%20Effects%20and%20Dru g%20Interactions_0.pdf

It starts getting good at about Slide 11.

I've been researching medical marijuana. In the U.S., CBD oil is in
kind of a regulatory grey area, and a lot of its potency depends on
the manufacturer. You can get various levels of alleged potency; with or
without THC (which is the stuff that gets you high).

Cindy Hamilton

I had heard it helps with sleep. Did that come up in your
research? I sleep very badly and wondered if that would be of use.

Yes, it did come up in my research, and it can help some people with
insomnia.

Cindy Hamilton

==

Thank you.

Ophelia, I tried to email you about this, but it is not clear to me how
to change your address so it works.

Jean B.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

[...]

Jean, my email works 'as is'. what are you trying to change?

Old 12-01-2019, 08:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

"Jean B." wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

[...]

Ah! It looked munged, and my msg bounced, but perhaps that's because it
was using a "from" address that doesn't function now.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

"Jean B." wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

[...]

Well, whatever you have done, it worked now)