Old 26-12-2018, 01:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Meat thermometer

I'm looking for a meat thermometer for large hunks of meat. I have
been using a thermometer that you insert in the cold meat and then put
roast in the oven/smoker/whatever. The probe has a long wire that
trails from the meat out the oven door to a unit that sends the temp
to a wireless receiver that tells you what the temp is.
I'm not happy with this any longer. I've had it for years and years.
I no longer trust the accuracy.
What thermometers/brands are you using or recommend? I don't want to
be opening the oven door over and over to check the temp. I want the
temp sent to me.
thanks
Janet US

Old 26-12-2018, 01:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 25, 2018 at 2:25:27 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
I'm looking for a meat thermometer for large hunks of meat. I have
been using a thermometer that you insert in the cold meat and then put
roast in the oven/smoker/whatever. The probe has a long wire that
trails from the meat out the oven door to a unit that sends the temp
to a wireless receiver that tells you what the temp is.
I'm not happy with this any longer. I've had it for years and years.
I no longer trust the accuracy.
What thermometers/brands are you using or recommend? I don't want to
be opening the oven door over and over to check the temp. I want the
temp sent to me.
thanks
Janet US

Stick the probe in some boiling water. It should read very close to 212 degrees. If it does, it's good!
Old 26-12-2018, 11:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, December 25, 2018 at 2:25:27 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
I'm looking for a meat thermometer for large hunks of meat. I have
been using a thermometer that you insert in the cold meat and then put
roast in the oven/smoker/whatever. The probe has a long wire that
trails from the meat out the oven door to a unit that sends the temp
to a wireless receiver that tells you what the temp is.
I'm not happy with this any longer. I've had it for years and years.
I no longer trust the accuracy.
What thermometers/brands are you using or recommend? I don't want to
be opening the oven door over and over to check the temp. I want the
temp sent to me.
thanks
Janet US

Stick the probe in some boiling water. It should read very close to 212
degrees. If it does, it's good!

===

I could be entirely wrong (it has been known ;p) but I took it she wanted
the info sent directly to her wirelessly! Janet US?

Old 26-12-2018, 12:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 10:17:59 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

I'm not happy with this any longer. I've had it for years and years.
I no longer trust the accuracy.

Stick the probe in some boiling water. It should read very close to 212
degrees. If it does, it's good!

As long as you're not living on a mountain top in--let's
say--Colorado...

--
Bob
St Francis would have done better to preach to the cats
Old 26-12-2018, 04:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 01:44:49 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Tue 25 Dec 2018 05:25:20p, U.S. Janet B. told us...

I'm looking for a meat thermometer for large hunks of meat. I
have been using a thermometer that you insert in the cold meat and
then put roast in the oven/smoker/whatever. The probe has a long
wire that trails from the meat out the oven door to a unit that
sends the temp to a wireless receiver that tells you what the temp
is. I'm not happy with this any longer. I've had it for years and
years. I no longer trust the accuracy.
What thermometers/brands are you using or recommend? I don't want
to be opening the oven door over and over to check the temp. I
want the temp sent to me.
thanks
Janet US

I have a Thermopen that is highly accurate, but would not fit your
needs. However, the company manufactures numerous other models and
one of them might just fit your requirements. The model on this page
has dual zones and both of the included probes have 47" long cables.
The wireless operating range is 300 feet, and a wide temperature
operating range. Besides the remote there is also an app for phone
monitoring.

Also, check out other models on their site as well. All of their
instruments are highly accurate.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

thank you Wayne. I looked at your link and was impressed. I would
still like to hear about some other brands from other knowledgeable
posters.
Janet US

Old 26-12-2018, 04:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 10:17:59 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Gosh, I think this is where I reply "Duh" to whoever posted to you
Ophelia. And, yes, I do understand how to check a regular 'stick'
thermometer.
Ophelia, You are correct, I want it posted to me wirelessly from a
maximum of 300 feet. Glad you understood,
Janet US
Old 26-12-2018, 04:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Gosh, I think this is where I reply "Duh" to whoever posted to you
Ophelia. And, yes, I do understand how to check a regular 'stick'
thermometer.
Ophelia, You are correct, I want it posted to me wirelessly from a
maximum of 300 feet. Glad you understood,
Janet US

==

Good luck in finding what you want! If you do, please report back! I would
like one for myself)

Old 26-12-2018, 05:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

--
"dsi1" wrote in message

[...]

That's not a problem. The boiling point of water would be the same even on a wireless system. Unless, of course, it was sending the info wireless to the UK. Your water boils at 100 degrees.
Old 26-12-2018, 05:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I'm not happy with this any longer. I've had it for years and years.
I no longer trust the accuracy.

Stick the probe in some boiling water. It should read very close to 212
degrees. If it does, it's good!

As long as you're not living on a mountain top in--let's
say--Colorado...

--
Bob
St Francis would have done better to preach to the cats

I can't imagine that living on a mountaintop would be good for humans but if you insist on living in Denver or the like, just subtract 10 degrees.

Old 26-12-2018, 08:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

[...]

I already know that it doesn't read correctly (the probe read 140F in
the meat when 2 different instant read thermometers read 100F)
I haven't been happy with this device for several years, I've already
replaced parts once. I want a new and different one.
Old 26-12-2018, 08:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

[...]

Your water also freezes at 0 degrees. That's highly convenient. Your water must be smarter than our water.
Old 26-12-2018, 09:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

[...]

Well, if you went to Celsius ... In actual fact, I still bake in
Fahrenheit and work in lbs and oz ... mostly, but only when convenient g

Old 26-12-2018, 09:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

[...]

When I was in your land, whilst traveling on your motorway, the posted speed was 70. I thought I was going 70 km/h but the reality was that you guys still use MPH and the car's speedometer was calibrated in MPH. I thought I was going 70 km/h but I was really going 113. Please pick one system and stick with it!
Old 26-12-2018, 10:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
[...]

Nahh you would be bored the next time you came here g We can't have
that)