Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Meat thermometer

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 18:56:44 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 18:08:39 -0600, B. Server >
>wrote:
>
>>I use several of the products made by Thermoworks
>>(www.thermoworks.com). I've found all that I've used to be accurate,
>>well-designed, and reasonably proof against carelessness, if not
>>stupidity. They have a variety of reporting thermometers using WiFi,
>>bluetooth and bluetoothLE, including several dual probe units handy
>>for smoking or slow cooking over wood/charcoal that allow reading the
>>air temp at the grill and the food temp.

>thank you for your input. that makes two recommends for the
>Thermoworks products and I am sold. Thanks again
>Janet US
>>
>>On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 17:25:20 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >

Their products are great. One of my Thermapens is between 15 and 20
yrs old. Years ago, it spent the night outside, forgotten on side of
the grill and endured an absolute downpour. I discovered it and
brought it in the next day, removed the battery, dried it all out, put
the battery back in and it's been gangbusters ever since. There stuff
is sturdy.

I have not tried sort of piece you seek, but I have bought many other
items from them over the years and never been disappointed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 17:35:27 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 18:56:44 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 18:08:39 -0600, B. Server >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I use several of the products made by Thermoworks
>>>(www.thermoworks.com). I've found all that I've used to be accurate,
>>>well-designed, and reasonably proof against carelessness, if not
>>>stupidity. They have a variety of reporting thermometers using WiFi,
>>>bluetooth and bluetoothLE, including several dual probe units handy
>>>for smoking or slow cooking over wood/charcoal that allow reading the
>>>air temp at the grill and the food temp.

>>thank you for your input. that makes two recommends for the
>>Thermoworks products and I am sold. Thanks again
>>Janet US
>>>
>>>On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 17:25:20 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >

>Their products are great. One of my Thermapens is between 15 and 20
>yrs old. Years ago, it spent the night outside, forgotten on side of
>the grill and endured an absolute downpour. I discovered it and
>brought it in the next day, removed the battery, dried it all out, put
>the battery back in and it's been gangbusters ever since. There stuff
>is sturdy.
>
>I have not tried sort of piece you seek, but I have bought many other
>items from them over the years and never been disappointed.

After enduring years of overcooked meat, I broke down and bought
myself a thermapen (my Xmas present to myself). The first thing I used
it on was a cake (a cake!) which tested at 210F. It was cooked
beautifully.

Today was DH's birthday, and I cooked him a tenderloin steak. It was
so perfect I can't hardly describe it.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-30 3:13 a.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 29 Dec 2018 10:38:00p, Doris Night told us...
>
>> On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 17:35:27 -0500, Boron Elgar
>> > wrote:

>>> Their products are great. One of my Thermapens is between 15 and
>>> 20 yrs old. Years ago, it spent the night outside, forgotten on
>>> side of the grill and endured an absolute downpour. I discovered
>>> it and brought it in the next day, removed the battery, dried it
>>> all out, put the battery back in and it's been gangbusters ever
>>> since. There stuff is sturdy.
>>>
>>> I have not tried sort of piece you seek, but I have bought many
>>> other items from them over the years and never been disappointed.

>> After enduring years of overcooked meat, I broke down and bought
>> myself a thermapen (my Xmas present to myself). The first thing I
>> used it on was a cake (a cake!) which tested at 210F. It was
>> cooked beautifully.
>>
>> Today was DH's birthday, and I cooked him a tenderloin steak. It
>> was so perfect I can't hardly describe it.
>>
>> Doris
>>

> These thermopens are amazing, aren't they? Most recently I've been
> making candy and every batch has been perfect.

My instant read thermometer works great. However, my wife likes to
follow roasting tables. I find them generally to be pretty much on the
money. It let us down on Christmas when we did a prime rib of beef. It
was 2.2 kg, just shy of 5 lbs. so it should have been 2.5 hours. I went
in a little early and stuck the probe in and it read 145.....past the
medium rare I was looking for. Luckily, my son and his girlfriend like
beef well done so they were happy with the outside cuts. My wife was
happy with the slightly pink inside of that, and I found some pinker
meat for me. It was all tasty and delicious. Being a little more cooked,
there were lots of pan drippings for great gravy.

The roast may have been a little more cooked than my preference, but
that thermometer did call it right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2018 9:51 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-12-30 3:13 a.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sat 29 Dec 2018 10:38:00p, Doris Night told us...
>>
>>> On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 17:35:27 -0500, Boron Elgar

>>> After enduring years of overcooked meat, I broke down and bought
>>> myself a thermapen (my Xmas present to myself). The first thing I
>>> used it on was a cake (a cake!) which tested at 210F. It was
>>> cooked beautifully.
>>>
>>> Today was DH's birthday, and I cooked him a tenderloin steak. It
>>> was so perfect I can't hardly describe it.
>>>
>>> Doris
>>>

>> These thermopens are amazing, aren't they?Â* Most recently I've been
>> making candy and every batch has been perfect.
>>

> My instant read thermometer works great. However, my wife likes to
> follow roasting tables. I find them generally to be pretty much on the
> money.Â* It let us down on Christmas when we did a prime rib of beef.Â* It
> was 2.2 kg, just shy of 5 lbs. so it should have been 2.5 hours.Â* I went
> in a little early and stuck the probe in and it read 145.....past the
> medium rare I was looking for.Â* Luckily, my son and his girlfriend like
> beef well done so they were happy with the outside cuts. My wife was
> happy with the slightly pink inside of that, and I found some pinker
> meat for me. It was all tasty and delicious. Being a little more cooked,
> there were lots of pan drippings for great gravy.
>
> The roast may have been a little more cooked than my preference, but
> that thermometer did call it right.

Before I wised up and bought a thermometer I could guess pretty good
most of the time, but did screw up. For years now, things have been
much better. I have a probe, but also an instant read.

A good steak or nice rib eye roast is pretty expensive, not worth
guessing when you can have perfection.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 7:53:44 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > Oh dear, that doesn't sound too good

> We were lucky to find a car in the UK that had left hand steering. There were still problems, of course, with the natives driving on the wrong side of the road.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...g-vQwyqHYHEuGf

heheh I saw your trick there. I'm surprised no one else
mentioned it. I ASSume you meant that to be caught though since
you left the time/date showing. ;-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 6:50:38 AM UTC-8, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-12-30 3:13 a.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > On Sat 29 Dec 2018 10:38:00p, Doris Night told us...
> >
> >> On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 17:35:27 -0500, Boron Elgar

> >> After enduring years of overcooked meat, I broke down and bought
> >> myself a thermapen (my Xmas present to myself). The first thing I
> >> used it on was a cake (a cake!) which tested at 210F. It was
> >> cooked beautifully.
> >>
> >> Today was DH's birthday, and I cooked him a tenderloin steak. It
> >> was so perfect I can't hardly describe it.
> >>
> >> Doris
> >>

> > These thermopens are amazing, aren't they? Most recently I've been
> > making candy and every batch has been perfect.
> >

> My instant read thermometer works great. However, my wife likes to
> follow roasting tables. I find them generally to be pretty much on the
> money. It let us down on Christmas when we did a prime rib of beef. It
> was 2.2 kg, just shy of 5 lbs. so it should have been 2.5 hours. I went
> in a little early and stuck the probe in and it read 145.....past the
> medium rare I was looking for. Luckily, my son and his girlfriend like
> beef well done so they were happy with the outside cuts. My wife was
> happy with the slightly pink inside of that, and I found some pinker
> meat for me. It was all tasty and delicious. Being a little more cooked,
> there were lots of pan drippings for great gravy.
>
> The roast may have been a little more cooked than my preference, but
> that thermometer did call it right.

I had hoped that Santa would bring me a remote sensing thermometer for
Christmas as the OP wanted, so I could take roasts, etc. out of the oven
when they reached a predetermined temperature, instead of running the risk of
overshooting. Instead I got an instant read, which basically works the same
as the non-electronic one I stick in the meat and leave it.

Somebody independently recommended thermoworks to me, so I guess I will
have to make up for Santa.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 22:40:23 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>> >It's easy to get wireless meat thermometers and IR thermometers dirt cheap on eBay. Most of them are less than 20 bucks. My assumption is that they'll work fine. China is a most magical place.

>The amazing thing about electronics is that you can use components with a wide range of tolerances, put them together, and still get a unit that performs accurately and reliably. My guess is that all the digital thermometers will perform fine right out of the box. I can't say that an expensive thermometer will be more durable than a cheap one. No doubt that's what people would like to believe. My guess is that any digital unit will be more accurate, reliable, and durable, than the old time bi-metal ones.

The amazing thing about people is that if they see an LCD display,
they assume it has to be exactly correct. Or as we used to say with
some software, garbage in, gospel out. If you want cheap and
accurate, use a well-made mercury thermometer. Your digital device is
still relying on a bimetalic thermocouple for the basis of the
temperature estimate. Whether or not they included the appropriate
assemblages of "widely ranging component tolerances" to measure or
compensate for power loss in batteries, ability to calibrate, etc. is
all a matter of time and cost. I've got one example of a digital
marvel that does not correctly convert between Celciius and
Fahrenheit, I'm guessing due to a software error. However, the LCD
displays the wrong information with perfect clarity.

I quite agree that there is overpriced crap for sale. However the
conclusion that anything with a digital display and a probe is equally
reliable seems a stretch to me based on experience.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 4:10:51 PM UTC-10, B. Server wrote:

> >The amazing thing about electronics is that you can use components with a wide range of tolerances, put them together, and still get a unit that performs accurately and reliably. My guess is that all the digital thermometers will perform fine right out of the box. I can't say that an expensive thermometer will be more durable than a cheap one. No doubt that's what people would like to believe. My guess is that any digital unit will be more accurate, reliable, and durable, than the old time bi-metal ones.

> The amazing thing about people is that if they see an LCD display,
> they assume it has to be exactly correct. Or as we used to say with
> some software, garbage in, gospel out. If you want cheap and
> accurate, use a well-made mercury thermometer. Your digital device is
> still relying on a bimetalic thermocouple for the basis of the
> temperature estimate. Whether or not they included the appropriate
> assemblages of "widely ranging component tolerances" to measure or
> compensate for power loss in batteries, ability to calibrate, etc. is
> all a matter of time and cost. I've got one example of a digital
> marvel that does not correctly convert between Celciius and
> Fahrenheit, I'm guessing due to a software error. However, the LCD
> displays the wrong information with perfect clarity.
>
> I quite agree that there is overpriced crap for sale. However the
> conclusion that anything with a digital display and a probe is equally
> reliable seems a stretch to me based on experience.

It sounds like your problem is that your digital thermometer is some ancient device that never worked properly in the first place. I doubt that modern devices will use a mechanical bimetal sensor in the probe. They might still be used in exotic, specialized, applications but not in digital meat thermometers.

Instead, they'll use a probe that has a metal tip that has the property of a resistance that changes with temperature. A digital thermometer is merely a digital meter and a thermistor. What the heck could be simpler? I have owned a lot of digital meters and even the cheap ones have been pretty much dead on.

I'll have to disagree with you that a bulb thermometer is more accurate - but as they say, to each his own.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 22:52:50 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 4:10:51 PM UTC-10, B. Server wrote:

>> >The amazing thing about electronics is that you can use components with a wide range of tolerances, put them together, and still get a unit that performs accurately and reliably. My guess is that all the digital thermometers will perform fine right out of the box. I can't say that an expensive thermometer will be more durable than a cheap one. No doubt that's what people would like to believe. My guess is that any digital unit will be more accurate, reliable, and durable, than the old time bi-metal ones.

>> The amazing thing about people is that if they see an LCD display,
>> they assume it has to be exactly correct. Or as we used to say with
>> some software, garbage in, gospel out. If you want cheap and
>> accurate, use a well-made mercury thermometer. Your digital device is
>> still relying on a bimetalic thermocouple for the basis of the
>> temperature estimate. Whether or not they included the appropriate
>> assemblages of "widely ranging component tolerances" to measure or
>> compensate for power loss in batteries, ability to calibrate, etc. is
>> all a matter of time and cost. I've got one example of a digital
>> marvel that does not correctly convert between Celciius and
>> Fahrenheit, I'm guessing due to a software error. However, the LCD
>> displays the wrong information with perfect clarity.
>>
>> I quite agree that there is overpriced crap for sale. However the
>> conclusion that anything with a digital display and a probe is equally
>> reliable seems a stretch to me based on experience.

>It sounds like your problem is that your digital thermometer is some ancient device that never worked properly in the first place. I doubt that modern devices will use a mechanical bimetal sensor in the probe. They might still be used in exotic, specialized, applications but not in digital meat thermometers.
>
>Instead, they'll use a probe that has a metal tip that has the property of a resistance that changes with temperature. A digital thermometer is merely a digital meter and a thermistor. What the heck could be simpler? I have owned a lot of digital meters and even the cheap ones have been pretty much dead on.
>
>I'll have to disagree with you that a bulb thermometer is more accurate - but as they say, to each his own.

I've used many meat thermometers over the years and this is my
favorite, simple and highly accurate... with large roasts I'll stick
it with two, even three thermometers as roasts vary in thickness, the
smaller diameter section will cook faster, then it's my decision on
where to draw the line on how much more done and less done I want.
Sticking two or three thermometers in the same place to the same depth
is a good way to check a thermometer's accuracy. I found +/- 3º is
within tolerance, especially since two roasts of the same cut and
weight will cook somewhat differently. It's also good to employ an
oven themometer.
https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Precis...st+thermometer

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 7:24:45 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 22:52:50 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsicom>
> wrote:
>
> >On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 4:10:51 PM UTC-10, B. Server wrote:

> >> The amazing thing about people is that if they see an LCD display,
> >> they assume it has to be exactly correct. Or as we used to say with
> >> some software, garbage in, gospel out. If you want cheap and
> >> accurate, use a well-made mercury thermometer. Your digital device is
> >> still relying on a bimetalic thermocouple for the basis of the
> >> temperature estimate. Whether or not they included the appropriate
> >> assemblages of "widely ranging component tolerances" to measure or
> >> compensate for power loss in batteries, ability to calibrate, etc. is
> >> all a matter of time and cost. I've got one example of a digital
> >> marvel that does not correctly convert between Celciius and
> >> Fahrenheit, I'm guessing due to a software error. However, the LCD
> >> displays the wrong information with perfect clarity.
> >>
> >> I quite agree that there is overpriced crap for sale. However the
> >> conclusion that anything with a digital display and a probe is equally
> >> reliable seems a stretch to me based on experience.

> >It sounds like your problem is that your digital thermometer is some ancient device that never worked properly in the first place. I doubt that modern devices will use a mechanical bimetal sensor in the probe. They might still be used in exotic, specialized, applications but not in digital meat thermometers.
> >
> >Instead, they'll use a probe that has a metal tip that has the property of a resistance that changes with temperature. A digital thermometer is merely a digital meter and a thermistor. What the heck could be simpler? I have owned a lot of digital meters and even the cheap ones have been pretty much dead on.
> >
> >I'll have to disagree with you that a bulb thermometer is more accurate - but as they say, to each his own.

> I've used many meat thermometers over the years and this is my
> favorite, simple and highly accurate... with large roasts I'll stick
> it with two, even three thermometers as roasts vary in thickness, the
> smaller diameter section will cook faster, then it's my decision on
> where to draw the line on how much more done and less done I want.
> Sticking two or three thermometers in the same place to the same depth
> is a good way to check a thermometer's accuracy. I found +/- 3º is
> within tolerance, especially since two roasts of the same cut and
> weight will cook somewhat differently. It's also good to employ an
> oven themometer.
> https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Precis...st+thermometer

Plus or minus 3 degrees. That sounds like a lot! I'm hooked on digital meat thermometers and not inclined to go backwards. I use a remote probe meat thermometer. Beats the heck out of me what brand it is. I don't really care. I'll use it until it breaks then get another. I see it as just a cheap generic tool. I've never had a bluetooth one - that seems like a bit of an overkill.