Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Let's talk cranberries.

I bought a huge bag at Costco with no real plans for them. My mom used to
make a really good cranberry bread that used raw ones but it also had egg so
not for me. And most of the recipes I found online for bread/muffins called
for things I didn't have, like orange juice, and they called for dried
cranberries. I did wing a vegan, gluten free muffin recipe. Weird thing is,
they didn't have much flavor when freshly baked, but the following day they
were wonderful!

Other things I have done with them are sauce (do not care for any home made
sauce and I've tried many recipes, Jell-O salad. Good but I'm the only one
who likes it. Wild rice with pecans and cranberries.

That's about all I can think of. In the meantime, the berries are in the
freezer. What am I missing here?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 04:11:46 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I bought a huge bag at Costco with no real plans for them. My mom used to
>make a really good cranberry bread that used raw ones but it also had egg so
>not for me. And most of the recipes I found online for bread/muffins called
>for things I didn't have, like orange juice, and they called for dried
>cranberries. I did wing a vegan, gluten free muffin recipe. Weird thing is,
>they didn't have much flavor when freshly baked, but the following day they
>were wonderful!
>
>Other things I have done with them are sauce (do not care for any home made
>sauce and I've tried many recipes, Jell-O salad. Good but I'm the only one
>who likes it. Wild rice with pecans and cranberries.
>
>That's about all I can think of. In the meantime, the berries are in the
>freezer. What am I missing here?

Cranberry sauce requires a lot of sugar, a huge bag of berries may
need five pounds... not at all healthful... it'll sit in your fridge
for a week and then end up in the trash. For years I prepared
cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving, no one wanted any, even canned was a
waste.
Thread them for your Christmas tree decoration... if you have no tree
put them out for the birds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 6:40:14 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

> Cranberry sauce requires a lot of sugar, a huge bag of berries may
> need five pounds... not at all healthful... it'll sit in your fridge
> for a week and then end up in the trash. For years I prepared
> cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving, no one wanted any, even canned was a
> waste.
> Thread them for your Christmas tree decoration... if you have no tree
> put them out for the birds.

Wow!!! You must've been really ****ing them up then!

We buy cranberries in the small bags at my local REAL grocery store. Not one of those MalWart Knockoffs that is ****ing up the world's economy! And the recipe's right on the bag!

John Kuthe, KutheChocolates.com...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> We buy cranberries in the small bags at my local REAL grocery store.
> Not one of those MalWart Knockoffs that is ****ing up the world's economy!

Get a life with Walmart and your cheap Chinese nonsense. There's
only *ONE* American that I know of that handed a Chinese person
approx. $112K in one lump sum. Talk about supporting the chinese.
lol

And the recipe's right on the bag!

Have you ever actually used that recipe, John?
- 12 oz cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
Boil until they burst.
It makes the most sickenly sweet mess that I've ever tasted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 8:15:56 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> >
> > We buy cranberries in the small bags at my local REAL grocery store.
> > Not one of those MalWart Knockoffs that is ****ing up the world's economy!

> Get a life with Walmart and your cheap Chinese nonsense. There's
> only *ONE* American that I know of that handed a Chinese person
> approx. $112K in one lump sum. Talk about supporting the chinese.
> lol
>
> And the recipe's right on the bag!
>
> Have you ever actually used that recipe, John?
> - 12 oz cranberries
> - 1 cup sugar
> - 1 cup water
> Boil until they burst.
> It makes the most sickenly sweet mess that I've ever tasted.

$108,000, cash for what is now MY HOUSE!! 100$, NO EVIL BANK CLAWS in it! Which I SHARE with others!! I put a little shot of Chambord in too for part of the water, and the cranberries are QUITE TART so require all that sugar to balance the sweet/tart flavor balance.

Beats the hell out of that canned crap!

John Kuthe, KutheChocolates.com...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 8:30:52 AM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 8:15:56 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> > John Kuthe wrote:
> > >
> > > We buy cranberries in the small bags at my local REAL grocery store.
> > > Not one of those MalWart Knockoffs that is ****ing up the world's economy!

> > Get a life with Walmart and your cheap Chinese nonsense. There's
> > only *ONE* American that I know of that handed a Chinese person
> > approx. $112K in one lump sum. Talk about supporting the chinese.
> > lol
> >
> > And the recipe's right on the bag!
> >
> > Have you ever actually used that recipe, John?
> > - 12 oz cranberries
> > - 1 cup sugar
> > - 1 cup water
> > Boil until they burst.
> > It makes the most sickenly sweet mess that I've ever tasted.

> $108,000, cash for what is now MY HOUSE!! 100$, NO EVIL BANK CLAWS in it! Which I SHARE with others!! I put a little shot of Chambord in too for part of the water, and the cranberries are QUITE TART so require all that sugar to balance the sweet/tart flavor balance.
>
> Beats the hell out of that canned crap!
>
> John Kuthe, KutheChocolates.com...

OBTW, China already HAS much of OUR MONEY! I'm just BUYING BACK our Nation from them! A little bit at a time!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 04:11:46 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I bought a huge bag at Costco with no real plans for them. My mom used to
>>make a really good cranberry bread that used raw ones but it also had egg
>>so
>>not for me. And most of the recipes I found online for bread/muffins
>>called
>>for things I didn't have, like orange juice, and they called for dried
>>cranberries. I did wing a vegan, gluten free muffin recipe. Weird thing
>>is,
>>they didn't have much flavor when freshly baked, but the following day
>>they
>>were wonderful!
>>
>>Other things I have done with them are sauce (do not care for any home
>>made
>>sauce and I've tried many recipes, Jell-O salad. Good but I'm the only one
>>who likes it. Wild rice with pecans and cranberries.
>>
>>That's about all I can think of. In the meantime, the berries are in the
>>freezer. What am I missing here?

> Cranberry sauce requires a lot of sugar, a huge bag of berries may
> need five pounds... not at all healthful... it'll sit in your fridge
> for a week and then end up in the trash. For years I prepared
> cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving, no one wanted any, even canned was a
> waste.
> Thread them for your Christmas tree decoration... if you have no tree
> put them out for the birds.

I can't feed the animals here. Attracts too many rats. I do buy a can of
sauce when it's cheap. Mostly we just take a bite. I know most of it will go
to waste but that's okay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> John Kuthe wrote:
>>
>> We buy cranberries in the small bags at my local REAL grocery store.
>> Not one of those MalWart Knockoffs that is ****ing up the world's
>> economy!

> Get a life with Walmart and your cheap Chinese nonsense. There's
> only *ONE* American that I know of that handed a Chinese person
> approx. $112K in one lump sum. Talk about supporting the chinese.
> lol
>
> And the recipe's right on the bag!
>
> Have you ever actually used that recipe, John?
> - 12 oz cranberries
> - 1 cup sugar
> - 1 cup water
> Boil until they burst.
> It makes the most sickenly sweet mess that I've ever tasted.

I have tried sooo many different cranberry sauce recipes and hated all of
them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/20/2018 10:05 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 04:11:46 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I bought a huge bag at Costco with no real plans for them. My mom
>>> used to
>>> make a really good cranberry bread that used raw ones but it also had
>>> egg so
>>> not for me. And most of the recipes I found online for bread/muffins
>>> called
>>> for things I didn't have, like orange juice, and they called for dried
>>> cranberries. I did wing a vegan, gluten free muffin recipe. Weird
>>> thing is,
>>> they didn't have much flavor when freshly baked, but the following
>>> day they
>>> were wonderful!
>>>
>>> Other things I have done with them are sauce (do not care for any
>>> home made
>>> sauce and I've tried many recipes, Jell-O salad. Good but I'm the
>>> only one
>>> who likes it. Wild rice with pecans and cranberries.
>>>
>>> That's about all I can think of. In the meantime, the berries are in the
>>> freezer. What am I missing here?

>> Cranberry sauce requires a lot of sugar, a huge bag of berries may
>> need five pounds... not at all healthful... it'll sit in your fridge
>> for a week and then end up in the trash.Â* For years I prepared
>> cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving, no one wanted any, even canned was a
>> waste.
>> Thread them for your Christmas tree decoration... if you have no tree
>> put them out for the birds.

> I can't feed the animals here. Attracts too many rats. I do buy a can of
> sauce when it's cheap. Mostly we just take a bite. I know most of it
> will go to waste but that's okay.

Why do you buy things if you have absolutely no idea what to do with the
item or know no one really wants to eat it?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 5:12:00 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> I bought a huge bag at Costco with no real plans for them. My mom used to
> make a really good cranberry bread that used raw ones but it also had egg so
> not for me. And most of the recipes I found online for bread/muffins called
> for things I didn't have, like orange juice, and they called for dried
> cranberries. I did wing a vegan, gluten free muffin recipe. Weird thing is,
> they didn't have much flavor when freshly baked, but the following day they
> were wonderful!
>
> Other things I have done with them are sauce (do not care for any home made
> sauce and I've tried many recipes, Jell-O salad. Good but I'm the only one
> who likes it. Wild rice with pecans and cranberries.
>
> That's about all I can think of. In the meantime, the berries are in the
> freezer. What am I missing here?

A brain??? Why on earth did you buy them? You are a brute for punishment and
never know when or why or how to cook such "exotic" foods.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-20 8:11 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/20/2018 10:05 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 04:11:46 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> Cranberry sauce requires a lot of sugar, a huge bag of berries may
>>> need five pounds... not at all healthful... it'll sit in your fridge
>>> for a week and then end up in the trash.Â* For years I prepared
>>> cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving, no one wanted any, even canned was a
>>> waste.
>>> Thread them for your Christmas tree decoration... if you have no tree
>>> put them out for the birds.

>> I can't feed the animals here. Attracts too many rats. I do buy a can
>> of sauce when it's cheap. Mostly we just take a bite. I know most of
>> it will go to waste but that's okay.

> Why do you buy things if you have absolutely no idea what to do with the
> item or know no one really wants to eat it?
>
> Jill

Because she's a raving loonie!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 05:49:04 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 6:40:14 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> Cranberry sauce requires a lot of sugar, a huge bag of berries may
>> need five pounds... not at all healthful... it'll sit in your fridge
>> for a week and then end up in the trash. For years I prepared
>> cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving, no one wanted any, even canned was a
>> waste.
>> Thread them for your Christmas tree decoration... if you have no tree
>> put them out for the birds.

>Wow!!! You must've been really ****ing them up then!

I don't like cranberry sauce and neither does anyone else I know... I
think cranberry juice sucks too... and craisins are worse.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/20/2018 10:24 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-12-20 8:11 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 12/20/2018 10:05 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I can't feed the animals here. Attracts too many rats. I do buy a can
>>> of sauce when it's cheap. Mostly we just take a bite. I know most of
>>> it will go to waste but that's okay.

>> Why do you buy things if you have absolutely no idea what to do with
>> the item or know no one really wants to eat it?
>>
>> Jill

> Because she's a raving loonie!

It's odd, to say the least. Most people wouldn't buy a "huge bag" (her
words) of cranberries without first having some purpose in mind. At
least this time she put the berries in the freezer. She won't have to
throw them away as quickly.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, penmart01
@aol.com says...

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 05:49:04 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 6:40:14 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:
> >>
> >> Cranberry sauce requires a lot of sugar, a huge bag of berries may
> >> need five pounds... not at all healthful... it'll sit in your fridge
> >> for a week and then end up in the trash. For years I prepared
> >> cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving, no one wanted any, even canned was a
> >> waste.
> >> Thread them for your Christmas tree decoration... if you have no tree
> >> put them out for the birds.

> >Wow!!! You must've been really ****ing them up then!

> I don't like cranberry sauce and neither does anyone else I know

Obviously you've been making it wrong, with far too much sugar.
Everybody I know loves it.

I make cranberry sauce sharp and tart; the main taste is cranberry..
So I don't use much sugar. Start with a little; when the berries have
popped stir in freshly squeezed orange juice and taste to see if it
needs any more sugar.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Gary > wrote:

> And the recipe's right on the bag!
>
> Have you ever actually used that recipe, John?
> - 12 oz cranberries
> - 1 cup sugar
> - 1 cup water
> Boil until they burst.
> It makes the most sickenly sweet mess that I've ever tasted.

It's a condiment for turkey! A bit of turkey and a bit of cranberry
sauce. I can't imagine eating a bowl of it. It is a hundred times
better than that crap in a can. I'm thrilled that I finally started
making from fresh about ten years ago. Of course, YMMV.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 2:56:20 PM UTC-6, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >, Gary > wrote:
>
> > And the recipe's right on the bag!
> >
> > Have you ever actually used that recipe, John?
> > - 12 oz cranberries
> > - 1 cup sugar
> > - 1 cup water
> > Boil until they burst.
> > It makes the most sickenly sweet mess that I've ever tasted.

> It's a condiment for turkey! A bit of turkey and a bit of cranberry
> sauce. I can't imagine eating a bowl of it. It is a hundred times
> better than that crap in a can. I'm thrilled that I finally started
> making from fresh about ten years ago. Of course, YMMV.
>
> leo

Hey, I love the canned cranberry sauce and not the stuff with the whole
berries in it! My youngest sister-in-law makes the homemade stuff with
the bag of berries. Blech. If she'd just buy a can we'd all eat it and
then she wouldn't waste her money and time to then throw it out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"> wrote:

> Hey, I love the canned cranberry sauce and not the stuff with the whole
> berries in it! My youngest sister-in-law makes the homemade stuff with
> the bag of berries. Blech. If she'd just buy a can we'd all eat it and
> then she wouldn't waste her money and time to then throw it out.

That's why YMMV

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 6:59:06 PM UTC-6, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >,
> "> wrote:
>
> > Hey, I love the canned cranberry sauce and not the stuff with the whole
> > berries in it! My youngest sister-in-law makes the homemade stuff with
> > the bag of berries. Blech. If she'd just buy a can we'd all eat it and
> > then she wouldn't waste her money and time to then throw it out.

> That's why YMMV
>
> leo

Exactly! :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2018 10:05 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 04:11:46 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> Cranberry sauce requires a lot of sugar, a huge bag of berries may
>>> need five pounds... not at all healthful... it'll sit in your fridge
>>> for a week and then end up in the trash. For years I prepared
>>> cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving, no one wanted any, even canned was a
>>> waste.
>>> Thread them for your Christmas tree decoration... if you have no tree
>>> put them out for the birds.

>> I can't feed the animals here. Attracts too many rats. I do buy a can of
>> sauce when it's cheap. Mostly we just take a bite. I know most of it will
>> go to waste but that's okay.

> Why do you buy things if you have absolutely no idea what to do with the
> item or know no one really wants to eat it?

We like cranberries. I eat them as is. Just wondered what else I could do
with them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2018 10:24 AM, graham wrote:

>>> Why do you buy things if you have absolutely no idea what to do with the
>>> item or know no one really wants to eat it?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Because she's a raving loonie!

> It's odd, to say the least. Most people wouldn't buy a "huge bag" (her
> words) of cranberries without first having some purpose in mind. At least
> this time she put the berries in the freezer. She won't have to throw
> them away as quickly.

Everything is huge at Costco.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 05:49:04 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
>>On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 6:40:14 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:
>>>
>>> Cranberry sauce requires a lot of sugar, a huge bag of berries may
>>> need five pounds... not at all healthful... it'll sit in your fridge
>>> for a week and then end up in the trash. For years I prepared
>>> cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving, no one wanted any, even canned was a
>>> waste.
>>> Thread them for your Christmas tree decoration... if you have no tree
>>> put them out for the birds.

>>Wow!!! You must've been really ****ing them up then!

> I don't like cranberry sauce and neither does anyone else I know... I
> think cranberry juice sucks too... and craisins are worse.

I love cranberry juice and Craisins but unsweetened cranberries are better.
I used to be able to get them dried, but not now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 20-Dec-2018, jmcquown > wrote:

>> > Because she's a raving loonie!

>> It's odd, to say the least. Most people wouldn't buy a "huge bag" (her
>> words) of cranberries without first having some purpose in mind. At
>> least this time she put the berries in the freezer. She won't have to
>> throw them away as quickly.

> This thread reminds me that I have a bag of cranberries in the freezer.
> When I last bought cranberries, they were on sale bogo; I only needed one
> bag so froze the other. I also have a surplus large can of sliced pears;
> I'm going to cook the cranberries in the pear syrup until they pop and
> release pectin. Then, I'll let cool just a bit, add the pear slices and
> fill a pie shell. Add a crisp topping and bake. Cranberry-Pear Crisp
> pie.

Let it know how that comes out. My gardener has an aversion to apples but he
loves pears.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 2:56:20 PM UTC-6, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:
>>
>> In article >, Gary > wrote:
>>
>> > And the recipe's right on the bag!
>> >
>> > Have you ever actually used that recipe, John?
>> > - 12 oz cranberries
>> > - 1 cup sugar
>> > - 1 cup water
>> > Boil until they burst.
>> > It makes the most sickenly sweet mess that I've ever tasted.

>> It's a condiment for turkey! A bit of turkey and a bit of cranberry
>> sauce. I can't imagine eating a bowl of it. It is a hundred times
>> better than that crap in a can. I'm thrilled that I finally started
>> making from fresh about ten years ago. Of course, YMMV.
>>
>> leo
>>

> Hey, I love the canned cranberry sauce and not the stuff with the whole
> berries in it! My youngest sister-in-law makes the homemade stuff with
> the bag of berries. Blech. If she'd just buy a can we'd all eat it and
> then she wouldn't waste her money and time to then throw it out.

Agree.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 2:48:51 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 2:56:20 PM UTC-6, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> >
> > In article >, Gary > wrote:
> >
> > > And the recipe's right on the bag!
> > >
> > > Have you ever actually used that recipe, John?
> > > - 12 oz cranberries
> > > - 1 cup sugar
> > > - 1 cup water
> > > Boil until they burst.
> > > It makes the most sickenly sweet mess that I've ever tasted.

> > It's a condiment for turkey! A bit of turkey and a bit of cranberry
> > sauce. I can't imagine eating a bowl of it. It is a hundred times
> > better than that crap in a can. I'm thrilled that I finally started
> > making from fresh about ten years ago. Of course, YMMV.
> >
> > leo
> >

> Hey, I love the canned cranberry sauce and not the stuff with the whole
> berries in it! My youngest sister-in-law makes the homemade stuff with
> the bag of berries. Blech. If she'd just buy a can we'd all eat it and
> then she wouldn't waste her money and time to then throw it out.

Making your own cranberry sauce makes people feel special and quite exclusive. Why that would be is a mystery. Perhaps the cranberry is a magical fruit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 7:48:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 2:56:20 PM UTC-6, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> >
> > In article >, Gary > wrote:
> >
> > > And the recipe's right on the bag!
> > >
> > > Have you ever actually used that recipe, John?
> > > - 12 oz cranberries
> > > - 1 cup sugar
> > > - 1 cup water
> > > Boil until they burst.
> > > It makes the most sickenly sweet mess that I've ever tasted.

> > It's a condiment for turkey! A bit of turkey and a bit of cranberry
> > sauce. I can't imagine eating a bowl of it. It is a hundred times
> > better than that crap in a can. I'm thrilled that I finally started
> > making from fresh about ten years ago. Of course, YMMV.
> >
> > leo
> >

> Hey, I love the canned cranberry sauce and not the stuff with the whole
> berries in it! My youngest sister-in-law makes the homemade stuff with
> the bag of berries. Blech. If she'd just buy a can we'd all eat it and
> then she wouldn't waste her money and time to then throw it out.

My grandmother made hers from scratch, but it wasn't whole berry. ISTR
her running it through a food mill. She put it in a ring mold to set up.
Looked nice when it came out, although I definitely recall some anxiety,
hot water, and mild cussing over getting it out of the mold.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-21 6:44 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 7:48:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:

>> Hey, I love the canned cranberry sauce and not the stuff with the whole
>> berries in it! My youngest sister-in-law makes the homemade stuff with
>> the bag of berries. Blech. If she'd just buy a can we'd all eat it and
>> then she wouldn't waste her money and time to then throw it out.

> My grandmother made hers from scratch, but it wasn't whole berry. ISTR
> her running it through a food mill. She put it in a ring mold to set up.
> Looked nice when it came out, although I definitely recall some anxiety,
> hot water, and mild cussing over getting it out of the mold.

It's the same basic recipe as the regular sauce. You go ahead and boil
the berries in water with sugar but cook it a longer and put it through
mill or press it through a sieve.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/20/2018 10:37 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Because she's a raving loonie!

>> It's odd, to say the least.Â* Most people wouldn't buy a "huge bag"
>> (her words) of cranberries without first having some purpose in mind.
>> At least this time she put the berries in the freezer.Â* She won't have
>> to throw them away as quickly.

> Everything is huge at Costco.

So I've heard. Still doesn't explain why you felt the need to buy a
huge bag of cranberries for no discernible reason.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-21 9:43 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/20/2018 10:37 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>> Everything is huge at Costco.

> So I've heard.Â* Still doesn't explain why you felt the need to buy a
> huge bag of cranberries for no discernible reason.

Well you could wonder about that, or you could wonder if she really did?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2018 11:28 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-12-21 9:43 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 12/20/2018 10:37 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Everything is huge at Costco.

>> So I've heard.Â* Still doesn't explain why you felt the need to buy a
>> huge bag of cranberries for no discernible reason.

> Well you could wonder about that, or you could wonder if she really did?

She probably did. It's her modus operendi. Buy a big bunch of
something she doesn't know what to do with or can't eat. She'll wind up
throwing them away.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-21 10:23 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/21/2018 11:28 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> So I've heard.Â* Still doesn't explain why you felt the need to buy a
>>> huge bag of cranberries for no discernible reason.

>> Well you could wonder about that, or you could wonder if she really did?
>>

> She probably did.Â* It's her modus operendi.Â* Buy a big bunch of
> something she doesn't know what to do with or can't eat.Â* She'll wind up
> throwing them away.
>
> Jill

A 5-day psychiatric convention could be devoted to her!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

> use less than half the sugar in typical recipes, orange zest, and orange
> juice - nothing else needed - my kid called it "sour and bland" but what
> do kids know?

Both you and Janet UK hit on the method I plan to use next time.
I'm thinking about making a cranberry cobbler...if I can get a
good taste from the berries.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 5:44:27 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 7:48:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> >
> > Hey, I love the canned cranberry sauce and not the stuff with the whole
> > berries in it! My youngest sister-in-law makes the homemade stuff with
> > the bag of berries. Blech. If she'd just buy a can we'd all eat it and
> > then she wouldn't waste her money and time to then throw it out.

> My grandmother made hers from scratch, but it wasn't whole berry. ISTR
> her running it through a food mill. She put it in a ring mold to set up.
> Looked nice when it came out, although I definitely recall some anxiety,
> hot water, and mild cussing over getting it out of the mold.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Hahahahaaaa, I think that's pretty normal with a lot of people doing some mild
cussing when unmolding congealed food items. Even taking fresh baked cakes
out of pans will produce 'discouraging words.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 8:43:43 AM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:

> On 12/20/2018 10:37 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > Everything is huge at Costco.

> So I've heard. Still doesn't explain why you felt the need to buy a
> huge bag of cranberries for no discernible reason.
>
> Jill

So she can start a thread with near 40 responses so she can shoot down every single suggestion therefore fulfilling her need for attention.

Freezing whole cranberries? Janet Wilder[_1_] General Cooking 1 31-12-2009 02:15 AM
yum cranberries! krom Diabetic 12 24-12-2009 12:47 AM
Is it cranberries? Jen[_1_] General Cooking 24 29-09-2007 04:09 AM
Cranberries! serene General Cooking 4 22-11-2005 10:51 PM
Red Cabbage & Cranberries Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 19-03-2005 03:00 AM