Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What do you knead on?

I've tried a variety of surfaces over the years but my current favorite is a
giant ceramic platter from Sur La Table. The edges curve up a bit to contain
the flour. I also use it for setting dipped chocolates and other candies on
to set. And it's perfect for cookies that have a coating that needs to set
up. Makes things easy and contains any possible mess.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 5:13:06 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> I've tried a variety of surfaces over the years but my current favorite is a
> giant ceramic platter from Sur La Table. The edges curve up a bit to contain
> the flour. I also use it for setting dipped chocolates and other candies on
> to set. And it's perfect for cookies that have a coating that needs to set
> up. Makes things easy and contains any possible mess.

Formica countertop. Then again, the only thing I make is pizza crust,
and the recipe I use requires no bench flour.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 4:13:06 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> I've tried a variety of surfaces over the years but my current favorite is a
> giant ceramic platter from Sur La Table. The edges curve up a bit to contain
> the flour. I also use it for setting dipped chocolates and other candies on
> to set. And it's perfect for cookies that have a coating that needs to set
> up. Makes things easy and contains any possible mess.

Back when I worked in bakeries, we let Hobart do the kneading! Then I'd use a large rolling pin to finish rolling out a large piece of dough ON A WOODEN BENCH (holds the flour!) having run it through our rolling MACHINE!!

Wooden, marble, slate, unglazed ceramic, etc. All fine surfaces for working a dough!

John Kuthe, KutheChocolates.com...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 5:31:27 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 5:13:06 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> > I've tried a variety of surfaces over the years but my current favorite is a
> > giant ceramic platter from Sur La Table. The edges curve up a bit to contain
> > the flour. I also use it for setting dipped chocolates and other candies on
> > to set. And it's perfect for cookies that have a coating that needs to set
> > up. Makes things easy and contains any possible mess.

> Formica countertop. Then again, the only thing I make is pizza crust,
> and the recipe I use requires no bench flour.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Hardly BAKING!! :-(

John Kuthe, KutheChocolates.com...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 06:16:23 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 5:31:27 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 5:13:06 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > I've tried a variety of surfaces over the years but my current favorite is a
>> > giant ceramic platter from Sur La Table. The edges curve up a bit to contain
>> > the flour. I also use it for setting dipped chocolates and other candies on
>> > to set. And it's perfect for cookies that have a coating that needs to set
>> > up. Makes things easy and contains any possible mess.

>> Formica countertop. Then again, the only thing I make is pizza crust,
>> and the recipe I use requires no bench flour.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>Hardly BAKING!! :-(

If anything is hardly baking it's donuts... requires zero baking
skills to fry fercocktah playdough. In fact donuts are off topic as
they don't qualify as food unless you're a hog farmer

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 9:16:26 AM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 5:31:27 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 5:13:06 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> > > I've tried a variety of surfaces over the years but my current favorite is a
> > > giant ceramic platter from Sur La Table. The edges curve up a bit to contain
> > > the flour. I also use it for setting dipped chocolates and other candies on
> > > to set. And it's perfect for cookies that have a coating that needs to set
> > > up. Makes things easy and contains any possible mess.

> > Formica countertop. Then again, the only thing I make is pizza crust,
> > and the recipe I use requires no bench flour.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Hardly BAKING!! :-(

I never claimed to be much of a baker. I spread the wealth
at the local bakery, rather than deprive them of a living.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 10:57:49 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 12/20/2018 10:34 AM, wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 06:16:23 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
>> > wrote:

>>> Hardly BAKING!! :-(

>> If anything is hardly baking it's donuts... requires zero baking
>> skills to fry fercocktah playdough. In fact donuts are off topic as
>> they don't qualify as food unless you're a hog farmer
>>

>Not all doughnuts are fried. But hey, I don't make or eat them either
>way so I guess I'm not a hog farmer.
>
>Jill

I like a baked donut occsionally, I never eat the fried ones... I may
eat a chocolate devils food baked donut every 2-3 years. Entennemans
used to make good ones but since they sold out their product line has
steadily declined... and their prices have risen through the roof.
A brand new Dunkin Donuts opened in town about 5 years ago, I haven't
gone inside yet. I've noticed it's always packed with the most obese
specimens... those toads are not embarassed to come waddling out
lugging 2-3 boxes of donuts.

If I'm going to eat baked goods it's got to be something special.
Yesterday my wife went to her weekly knitting group meeting at the
library, a Christmas celebration ensued. those ladies can bake.. she
came home with an assortment of biscotti, six kinds, six of each
flavor, all delicious but the dark chocolate chip with toasted hazel
nuts and candied orange peel were outrageous. The lady who baked them
included a slip of paper with all six kinds listed and she requested
comments.... what could I say other than it was very difficult to stop
eating, I ate one of each and then couldn't eat dinner. I had to hide
the rest until after New Years, that bread box comes in handy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/20/2018 5:12 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I've tried a variety of surfaces over the years but my current favorite
> is a giant ceramic platter from Sur La Table. The edges curve up a bit
> to contain the flour. I also use it for setting dipped chocolates and
> other candies on to set. And it's perfect for cookies that have a
> coating that needs to set up. Makes things easy and contains any
> possible mess.

The very few times I've needed to knead dough I've done it straight on
the countertop.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2018 5:12 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I've tried a variety of surfaces over the years but my current favorite
>> is a giant ceramic platter from Sur La Table. The edges curve up a bit to
>> contain the flour. I also use it for setting dipped chocolates and other
>> candies on to set. And it's perfect for cookies that have a coating that
>> needs to set up. Makes things easy and contains any possible mess.

> The very few times I've needed to knead dough I've done it straight on the
> countertop.

I used to do that but my kitchen is too small and I have no free countertop
space here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 12:13:06 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> I've tried a variety of surfaces over the years but my current favorite is a
> giant ceramic platter from Sur La Table. The edges curve up a bit to contain
> the flour. I also use it for setting dipped chocolates and other candies on
> to set. And it's perfect for cookies that have a coating that needs to set
> up. Makes things easy and contains any possible mess.

These days, I like to knead in a bag or on a machine. Mixing up dough and kneading in a bag is pretty much a clean and neat way to make dough. Flour all over the place is kind of a drag!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message news

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2018 5:12 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I've tried a variety of surfaces over the years but my current favorite
>> is a giant ceramic platter from Sur La Table. The edges curve up a bit to
>> contain the flour. I also use it for setting dipped chocolates and other
>> candies on to set. And it's perfect for cookies that have a coating that
>> needs to set up. Makes things easy and contains any possible mess.

> The very few times I've needed to knead dough I've done it straight on the
> countertop.

I used to do that but my kitchen is too small and I have no free countertop
space here.

==

I don't prepare stuff like that directly on the counter, I have a range of
silicone mats. I have a large one for working on and smaller ones to
actually bake on in the oven. They can be used on induction units too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multipurpos.../dp/B0786BFFQ7
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extra-Large.../dp/B0025CKUC4

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I use a large "breadboard," 18 X 24" ... Made of maple. I had it cut and sanded at a
lumberyard from a scrap. I then put a small drawer pull (handle) on one end so I could hang
it up (between refrigerator and wall) and then put those little silicone "feet" ... Look like dots...
that are used on inside corners of cupboard doors, so it wouldn't slip on the table or
counter. I like to put it on the table because the height is a little lower than counter, and it is
easier on my shoulders at table height.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2018 12:09 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 12/20/2018 5:12 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I've tried a variety of surfaces over the years but my current
>>> favorite is a giant ceramic platter from Sur La Table. The edges
>>> curve up a bit to contain the flour. I also use it for setting dipped
>>> chocolates and other candies on to set. And it's perfect for cookies
>>> that have a coating that needs to set up. Makes things easy and
>>> contains any possible mess.

>> The very few times I've needed to knead dough I've done it straight on
>> the countertop.

> I used to do that but my kitchen is too small and I have no free
> countertop space here.

My grandmother baked bread several times a week to feed her family. She
had a *tiny* kitchen. Of course back in her day the kitchen countertop
wasn't cluttered with anything. No small appliances to take up space.
She kneaded bread on the kitchen table. I suppose you don't have one of
those, either. Most people figure out what to do in the space they have.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2018 12:09 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> The very few times I've needed to knead dough I've done it straight on
>>> the countertop.

>> I used to do that but my kitchen is too small and I have no free
>> countertop space here.

> My grandmother baked bread several times a week to feed her family. She
> had a *tiny* kitchen. Of course back in her day the kitchen countertop
> wasn't cluttered with anything. No small appliances to take up space. She
> kneaded bread on the kitchen table. I suppose you don't have one of
> those, either. Most people figure out what to do in the space they have.

Right. Kitchen is too small for any kind of a table.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2018 12:09 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> The very few times I've needed to knead dough I've done it straight on
>>> the countertop.

>> I used to do that but my kitchen is too small and I have no free
>> countertop space here.

> My grandmother baked bread several times a week to feed her family. She
> had a *tiny* kitchen. Of course back in her day the kitchen countertop
> wasn't cluttered with anything. No small appliances to take up space. She
> kneaded bread on the kitchen table. I suppose you don't have one of
> those, either. Most people figure out what to do in the space they have.

Right. Kitchen is too small for any kind of a table.

==

So is mine! I work on the counters or on the table in the dining room

And yes, Jill, we do figure out what to do with the space we have!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 12:35:24 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> I used to do that but my kitchen is too small and I have no free
>>> countertop space here.

>> My grandmother baked bread several times a week to feed her family. She
>> had a *tiny* kitchen. Of course back in her day the kitchen countertop
>> wasn't cluttered with anything. No small appliances to take up space. She
>> kneaded bread on the kitchen table. I suppose you don't have one of
>> those, either. Most people figure out what to do in the space they have.

>Right. Kitchen is too small for any kind of a table.

I figure that most people here who knead dough knead it on their
toilet seat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 17:16:22 -0500, wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 12:35:24 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>>> My grandmother baked bread several times a week to feed her family. She
>>> had a *tiny* kitchen. Of course back in her day the kitchen countertop
>>> wasn't cluttered with anything. No small appliances to take up space. She
>>> kneaded bread on the kitchen table. I suppose you don't have one of
>>> those, either. Most people figure out what to do in the space they have.

>>Right. Kitchen is too small for any kind of a table.

>I figure that most people here who knead dough knead it on their
>toilet seat.

because that's how you do it, right?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 12:35:24 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> My grandmother baked bread several times a week to feed her family. She
>>> had a *tiny* kitchen. Of course back in her day the kitchen countertop
>>> wasn't cluttered with anything. No small appliances to take up space. She
>>> kneaded bread on the kitchen table. I suppose you don't have one of
>>> those, either. Most people figure out what to do in the space they have.

>> Right. Kitchen is too small for any kind of a table.

> I figure that most people here who knead dough knead it on their
> toilet seat.

I'm sure dat's whut yoose do Popeye.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 15:40:46 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 17:16:22 -0500, wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 12:35:24 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>>>Right. Kitchen is too small for any kind of a table.

>>I figure that most people here who knead dough knead it on their
>>toilet seat.

>because that's how you do it, right?

I've prepared tossed salad veggies on a Super 8 toilet seat, so I see
no reason yoose don't use your toilet seats to knead dough.
A Super 8 commode seat is cleaner than yoose kitchens.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> > > I used to do that but my kitchen is too small and I have no free
> > > countertop space here.

> > My grandmother baked bread several times a week to feed her family.
> > She had a tiny kitchen. Of course back in her day the kitchen
> > countertop wasn't cluttered with anything. No small appliances to
> > take up space. She kneaded bread on the kitchen table. I suppose
> > you don't have one of those, either. Most people figure out what
> > to do in the space they have.

> Right. Kitchen is too small for any kind of a table.

Reminds me of a kitchen we had in Hawaii. It was not possible to open
the oven and the fridge at the same time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 17:56:25 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:

>> > My grandmother baked bread several times a week to feed her family.
>> > She had a tiny kitchen. Of course back in her day the kitchen
>> > countertop wasn't cluttered with anything. No small appliances to
>> > take up space. She kneaded bread on the kitchen table. I suppose
>> > you don't have one of those, either. Most people figure out what
>> > to do in the space they have.

>> Right. Kitchen is too small for any kind of a table.

>Reminds me of a kitchen we had in Hawaii. It was not possible to open
>the oven and the fridge at the same time.

That's a bad idea anyway. Smart design.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 1:56:33 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:

> > > My grandmother baked bread several times a week to feed her family.
> > > She had a tiny kitchen. Of course back in her day the kitchen
> > > countertop wasn't cluttered with anything. No small appliances to
> > > take up space. She kneaded bread on the kitchen table. I suppose
> > > you don't have one of those, either. Most people figure out what
> > > to do in the space they have.

> > Right. Kitchen is too small for any kind of a table.

> Reminds me of a kitchen we had in Hawaii. It was not possible to open
> the oven and the fridge at the same time.

It was a great day when we got our brand new refrigerator, let me tell you! It all came crashing down when I tried to open the dishwasher. Oopsie!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 1:56:33 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> > > Right. Kitchen is too small for any kind of a table.

> > Reminds me of a kitchen we had in Hawaii. It was not possible to
> > open the oven and the fridge at the same time.

> It was a great day when we got our brand new refrigerator, let me
> tell you! It all came crashing down when I tried to open the
> dishwasher. Oopsie!

LOL! Had no dishwasher in that place. Didn't even have a dual sink.

It was a '1 room' 27th floor place off Kuilea in Honolulu.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/23/2018 8:59 PM, cshenk wrote:

>> On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 1:56:33 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> LOL! Had no dishwasher in that place. Didn't even have a dual sink.
>
> It was a '1 room' 27th floor place off Kuilea in Honolulu.

Dual sink is nice for washing dishes, but with a dishwasher, not needed.
I hated ours for years. New house has a nice deep single that can
take a large pan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 21:14:27 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 12/23/2018 8:59 PM, cshenk wrote:
>
>>> On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 1:56:33 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

>> LOL! Had no dishwasher in that place. Didn't even have a dual sink.
>>
>> It was a '1 room' 27th floor place off Kuilea in Honolulu.
>>

>Dual sink is nice for washing dishes, but with a dishwasher, not needed.
> I hated ours for years. New house has a nice deep single that can
>take a large pan.

That's what I had installed here... oversized and extra deep... if I
need a smaller amount of water I have plastic dishpans. I detest
double sinks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-23 7:50 p.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> LOL! Had no dishwasher in that place. Didn't even have a dual
>>> sink.
>>>
>>> It was a '1 room' 27th floor place off Kuilea in Honolulu.
>>>

>> Dual sink is nice for washing dishes, but with a dishwasher, not
>> needed.
>> I hated ours for years. New house has a nice deep single that
>> can
>> take a large pan.
>>

> I agree that a dual sink isn't essential if you have a dishwasher.
> However, even having our Bosch dishwasher, I still prefer having dual
> sinks and find they're more versatile. Our black granite sink has
> extra deep bowls and each bowl is large enough to accomodate the
> largest roaster or stockpot that we own, with room to spare.

I have a Franke double sink with integrated draining board that I
find invaluable, even though I have a DW.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 20:49:51 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-12-23 7:50 p.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Dual sink is nice for washing dishes, but with a dishwasher, not
>>> needed.
>>> I hated ours for years. New house has a nice deep single that
>>> can
>>> take a large pan.
>>>

>> I agree that a dual sink isn't essential if you have a dishwasher.
>> However, even having our Bosch dishwasher, I still prefer having dual
>> sinks and find they're more versatile. Our black granite sink has
>> extra deep bowls and each bowl is large enough to accomodate the
>> largest roaster or stockpot that we own, with room to spare.
>>

> I have a Franke double sink with integrated draining board that I
>find invaluable, even though I have a DW.

I couldn't give a shit if we have a single sink, a double sink or a
triple sink. I'm not a metrosexual.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news >
>
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> I used to do that but my kitchen is too small and I have no free
>>> countertop space here.

>> My grandmother baked bread several times a week to feed her family. She
>> had a *tiny* kitchen. Of course back in her day the kitchen countertop
>> wasn't cluttered with anything. No small appliances to take up space.
>> She kneaded bread on the kitchen table. I suppose you don't have one of
>> those, either. Most people figure out what to do in the space they have.

> Right. Kitchen is too small for any kind of a table.
>
> ==
>
> So is mine! I work on the counters or on the table in the dining room
>
> And yes, Jill, we do figure out what to do with the space we have!

I don't even have a formal dining table. I used to. It broke during a move.
I do have a tiny, somewhat uneven wood dining table but it's in the living
room. My dining room is basically a section of house with a wooden floor
that you must walk through to get into the dining or family room. I bought a
commercial thick plastic table and some commercial padded banquet style
chairs to put in there just so there is a table. If need be, I can put a
cloth on it but we don't really use it for much of anything except for a
place to put groceries until we put them away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 15:40:46 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 17:16:22 -0500, wrote:

>>>I figure that most people here who knead dough knead it on their
>>>toilet seat.

>>because that's how you do it, right?

> I've prepared tossed salad veggies on a Super 8 toilet seat, so I see
> no reason yoose don't use your toilet seats to knead dough.
> A Super 8 commode seat is cleaner than yoose kitchens.

Dear gawd! I've had to live in hotels/motels with no kitchens. There is
always some sort of table, even if small. I travel with a paring knife with
sheath, can opener, small melamine or plastic plate, paper plates and bowls,
plastic cutlery and a small amount of dish soap. I do try to buy precut
stuff if I can find it because those places usually have only a tiny
wastebasket or two and I don't want to fill them with food scraps. I've
managed to make balanced meals/snacks and never used the toilet except for
what it's designed for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news >
>
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> I used to do that but my kitchen is too small and I have no free
>>> countertop space here.

>> My grandmother baked bread several times a week to feed her family. She
>> had a *tiny* kitchen. Of course back in her day the kitchen countertop
>> wasn't cluttered with anything. No small appliances to take up space.
>> She kneaded bread on the kitchen table. I suppose you don't have one of
>> those, either. Most people figure out what to do in the space they have.

> Right. Kitchen is too small for any kind of a table.
>
> ==
>
> So is mine! I work on the counters or on the table in the dining room
>
> And yes, Jill, we do figure out what to do with the space we have!

I don't even have a formal dining table. I used to. It broke during a move.
I do have a tiny, somewhat uneven wood dining table but it's in the living
room. My dining room is basically a section of house with a wooden floor
that you must walk through to get into the dining or family room. I bought a
commercial thick plastic table and some commercial padded banquet style
chairs to put in there just so there is a table. If need be, I can put a
cloth on it but we don't really use it for much of anything except for a
place to put groceries until we put them away.

==

You could still bake on it though?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

>> > My grandmother baked bread several times a week to feed her family.
>> > She had a tiny kitchen. Of course back in her day the kitchen
>> > countertop wasn't cluttered with anything. No small appliances to
>> > take up space. She kneaded bread on the kitchen table. I suppose
>> > you don't have one of those, either. Most people figure out what
>> > to do in the space they have.

>> Right. Kitchen is too small for any kind of a table.

> Reminds me of a kitchen we had in Hawaii. It was not possible to open
> the oven and the fridge at the same time.

Thankfully mine is a galley kitchen and I have a side by side fridge. You
can't however get by the fridge if the door is open and you have to *really*
like the other person if two people are in there at the same time! I would
love a giant kitchen. If I had unlimited finances and could build a home,
the kitchen for sure would be the biggest room in the house. I'd have plenty
of storage too. I'd rather have empty cupboards instead of cluttered
counters

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 9:14:32 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/23/2018 8:59 PM, cshenk wrote:
>
> >> On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 1:56:33 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> > LOL! Had no dishwasher in that place. Didn't even have a dual sink.
> >
> > It was a '1 room' 27th floor place off Kuilea in Honolulu.
> >

> Dual sink is nice for washing dishes, but with a dishwasher, not needed.
> I hated ours for years. New house has a nice deep single that can
> take a large pan.

If I ever get an opportunity to remodel my kitchen, I'm taking my 14"
frying pan when I shop for sinks. With the handle, it's too big to
fit even diagonally in my "standard" single-bowl sink.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 03:05:38 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"cshenk" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Right. Kitchen is too small for any kind of a table.

>> Reminds me of a kitchen we had in Hawaii. It was not possible to open
>> the oven and the fridge at the same time.

>Thankfully mine is a galley kitchen and I have a side by side fridge. You
>can't however get by the fridge if the door is open and you have to *really*
>like the other person if two people are in there at the same time! I would
>love a giant kitchen. If I had unlimited finances and could build a home,
>the kitchen for sure would be the biggest room in the house. I'd have plenty
>of storage too. I'd rather have empty cupboards instead of cluttered
>counters

I've always been curious, Julie. How many square feet is your house
inside?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 12/23/2018 8:59 PM, cshenk wrote:
>
> > > On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 1:56:33 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> > LOL! Had no dishwasher in that place. Didn't even have a dual
> > sink.
> >
> > It was a '1 room' 27th floor place off Kuilea in Honolulu.
> >

> Dual sink is nice for washing dishes, but with a dishwasher, not
> needed. I hated ours for years. New house has a nice deep single
> that can take a large pan.

No dishwasher there and no big sink. It was only a 1/2 sort with a
disposal. Really small place but we made it work, Don and I.
Charlotte was not to come along for another 7 years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 11:21:21 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> > LOL! Had no dishwasher in that place. Didn't even have a dual
>> > sink.
>> >
>> > It was a '1 room' 27th floor place off Kuilea in Honolulu.
>> >

>> Dual sink is nice for washing dishes, but with a dishwasher, not
>> needed. I hated ours for years. New house has a nice deep single
>> that can take a large pan.

>No dishwasher there and no big sink. It was only a 1/2 sort with a
>disposal. Really small place but we made it work, Don and I.
>Charlotte was not to come along for another 7 years.

I don't like a very large kitchen where people can hang out. I have a
spacious enough galley kitchen, very efficient, and I don't want/allow
anyone helping me cook. I don't want to be distracted with any
conversating while I'm cooking either. I have lots of cabinet and
counter space and an over-size SS sink. I don't want guests rummaging
in my cabinets and fridge because they never put things back where
they found them. When people go out to eat they don't help the cook
or wander about their kitchen, I operate the same. When I bring my
car to the mechanic they don't allow me in their work space either.
When I visit someone I respect their space the same as I expect guests
to respect my space. I never tell guests to make themselves at home,
they can make themselves at home at their home... otherwise they'll be
drawing themselves a bath and napping in my bed. In fact I don't want
guests watching TV... if watching TV is more important than visiting
they'd best stay home or visit a sports bar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 24, 2018 at 2:47:27 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 11:21:21 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> >> Dual sink is nice for washing dishes, but with a dishwasher, not
> >> needed. I hated ours for years. New house has a nice deep single
> >> that can take a large pan.

> >No dishwasher there and no big sink. It was only a 1/2 sort with a
> >disposal. Really small place but we made it work, Don and I.
> >Charlotte was not to come along for another 7 years.

> I don't like a very large kitchen where people can hang out. I have a
> spacious enough galley kitchen, very efficient, and I don't want/allow
> anyone helping me cook. I don't want to be distracted with any
> conversating while I'm cooking either. I have lots of cabinet and
> counter space and an over-size SS sink. I don't want guests rummaging
> in my cabinets and fridge because they never put things back where
> they found them. When people go out to eat they don't help the cook
> or wander about their kitchen, I operate the same. When I bring my
> car to the mechanic they don't allow me in their work space either.
> When I visit someone I respect their space the same as I expect guests
> to respect my space. I never tell guests to make themselves at home,
> they can make themselves at home at their home... otherwise they'll be
> drawing themselves a bath and napping in my bed. In fact I don't want
> guests watching TV... if watching TV is more important than visiting
> they'd best stay home or visit a sports bar.

Nope. It's not a party unless the kitchen is full of people. That's
how you can tell when a party has reached critical mass.

Cindy Hamilton