Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What do you knead on?

On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 11:14:33 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kbomVuBqqFdzGb

I can't see any of your photos. Amazon keeps saying Sign in! Sign in!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 14:21:52 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 11:14:33 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kbomVuBqqFdzGb
>>

>I can't see any of your photos. Amazon keeps saying Sign in! Sign in!

I get that with cshenk's pictures, but I just saw a white apartment
building without signing in.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-26 2:19 p.m., Nancy2 wrote:
> How does one knead on a slippery platter? Even with the usual damp cloth underneath it,
> the kneading action would be too much pressure for the kneading platform to stay still....?
>
> N.

The gardener holds it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 14:21:52 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 11:14:33 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kbomVuBqqFdzGb
>>

>I can't see any of your photos. Amazon keeps saying Sign in! Sign in!

I can see it without signing in... looks like the very worst living
conditions, like high rise penitentary barracks. I can't imagine that
anyone would freely choose to live that way, in C-ment cubicles... the
inmates must've all been convicted of some horrid crime so are being
punished.
When I visited my inlaws home in Belize everything was wide open, a
block from the sea and better weather than Aloha land. The house was
built up on pilings so no worry about hurricanes, the sea rolled in
underneath. We used a bedroom in the attic,
Me under coconut trees:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/ijsmpvpe/
I owned that lot on the sea for a while but eventually sold it for a
pretty profit. I seriously considered retiring in Belize but it would
have been a big culture shock. Also there are no modern medical
facilities, and local foods were very strange to me, imported foods
cost a heap o' money. My wife could have lifed there without culture
shock but no one she grew up with was still there and she had become
very used to facilities in the US... she'd hate going to a Belize
dentist. Her grandfather was a dentist there and she hated going to
him. Today Belizeans that have the money fly to the US for medical
care etc. However Belize is a third world county so is lacking a lot.
But the people are happy there and there is little crime, no Belizeans
were in those caravans. A lot of Rostas live there but they bother no
one, they live on seafood and tropical fruits/veggies which are free
for the taking, and pot grows naturally so they are always high. Most
rostas live in tree houses on the beaches and in the bush. For money
many do crafts that they sell, we have several of their wood carvings,
very nice in rare tropical woods.
You do not ever want to go out into the Belize bush without an
experienced guide... same with going out onto the reef. The very best
was Chocolate, no one knew those waters better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 19:22:15 -0500, wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 14:21:52 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 11:14:33 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kbomVuBqqFdzGb

>>I can't see any of your photos. Amazon keeps saying Sign in! Sign in!

>I can see it without signing in... looks like the very worst living
>conditions, like high rise penitentary barracks. I can't imagine that
>anyone would freely choose to live that way, in C-ment cubicles... the
>inmates must've all been convicted of some horrid crime so are being
>punished.

Looks fine to me and I bet he spends a lot less time on mowing and
other property maintenance than you or me. But maybe you have nothing
better to do than mow your football field.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 6:22:19 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 14:21:52 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 11:14:33 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> >>
> >> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kbomVuBqqFdzGb
> >>

> >I can't see any of your photos. Amazon keeps saying Sign in! Sign in!

> I can see it without signing in...

After signing in twice I was finally able to see his picture.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 19:22:15 -0500, wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 14:21:52 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 11:14:33 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kbomVuBqqFdzGb

>>I can't see any of your photos. Amazon keeps saying Sign in! Sign in!

>I can see it without signing in... looks like the very worst living
>conditions, like high rise penitentary barracks. I can't imagine that
>anyone would freely choose to live that way, in C-ment cubicles... the
>inmates must've all been convicted of some horrid crime so are being
>punished.
>When I visited my inlaws home in Belize everything was wide open, a
>block from the sea and better weather than Aloha land. The house was
>built up on pilings so no worry about hurricanes, the sea rolled in
>underneath. We used a bedroom in the attic,
>Me under coconut trees:
>https://postimg.cc/gallery/ijsmpvpe/

In that picture with the blue shorts (or skirt?), you look like a
little girl with a mo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 14:21:52 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 11:14:33 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kbomVuBqqFdzGb

>> I can't see any of your photos. Amazon keeps saying Sign in! Sign in!

> I can see it without signing in... looks like the very worst living
> conditions, like high rise penitentary barracks. I can't imagine that
> anyone would freely choose to live that way, in C-ment cubicles... the
> inmates must've all been convicted of some horrid crime so are being
> punished.
> When I visited my inlaws home in Belize everything was wide open, a
> block from the sea and better weather than Aloha land. The house was
> built up on pilings so no worry about hurricanes, the sea rolled in
> underneath. We used a bedroom in the attic,
> Me under coconut trees:
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/ijsmpvpe/
> I owned that lot on the sea for a while but eventually sold it for a
> pretty profit. I seriously considered retiring in Belize but it would
> have been a big culture shock. Also there are no modern medical
> facilities, and local foods were very strange to me, imported foods
> cost a heap o' money. My wife could have lifed there without culture
> shock but no one she grew up with was still there and she had become
> very used to facilities in the US... she'd hate going to a Belize
> dentist. Her grandfather was a dentist there and she hated going to
> him. Today Belizeans that have the money fly to the US for medical
> care etc. However Belize is a third world county so is lacking a lot.
> But the people are happy there and there is little crime, no Belizeans
> were in those caravans. A lot of Rostas live there but they bother no
> one, they live on seafood and tropical fruits/veggies which are free
> for the taking, and pot grows naturally so they are always high. Most
> rostas live in tree houses on the beaches and in the bush. For money
> many do crafts that they sell, we have several of their wood carvings,
> very nice in rare tropical woods.
> You do not ever want to go out into the Belize bush without an
> experienced guide... same with going out onto the reef. The very best
> was Chocolate, no one knew those waters better.

And they all kneaded their meat on the toilet seat thereafter.

Right, Popeye?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message ...

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 14:21:52 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 11:14:33 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kbomVuBqqFdzGb
>>

>I can't see any of your photos. Amazon keeps saying Sign in! Sign in!

I can see it without signing in... looks like the very worst living
conditions, like high rise penitentary barracks. I can't imagine that
anyone would freely choose to live that way, in C-ment cubicles... the
inmates must've all been convicted of some horrid crime so are being
punished.
When I visited my inlaws home in Belize everything was wide open, a
block from the sea and better weather than Aloha land. The house was
built up on pilings so no worry about hurricanes, the sea rolled in
underneath. We used a bedroom in the attic,
Me under coconut trees:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/ijsmpvpe/
I owned that lot on the sea for a while but eventually sold it for a
pretty profit. I seriously considered retiring in Belize but it would
have been a big culture shock. Also there are no modern medical
facilities, and local foods were very strange to me, imported foods
cost a heap o' money. My wife could have lifed there without culture
shock but no one she grew up with was still there and she had become
very used to facilities in the US... she'd hate going to a Belize
dentist. Her grandfather was a dentist there and she hated going to
him. Today Belizeans that have the money fly to the US for medical
care etc. However Belize is a third world county so is lacking a lot.
But the people are happy there and there is little crime, no Belizeans
were in those caravans. A lot of Rostas live there but they bother no
one, they live on seafood and tropical fruits/veggies which are free
for the taking, and pot grows naturally so they are always high. Most
rostas live in tree houses on the beaches and in the bush. For money
many do crafts that they sell, we have several of their wood carvings,
very nice in rare tropical woods.
You do not ever want to go out into the Belize bush without an
experienced guide... same with going out onto the reef. The very best
was Chocolate, no one knew those waters better.

===

My husband served there back in the day during the conflict with Guatemala
but operating mainly against drug and gun runners.

He spent a lot of time in the jungle but he had some good times on the cays.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/24/2018 5:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news >>
>>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> Right. Kitchen is too small for any kind of a table.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> So is mine! I work on the counters or on the table in the dining room
>>>
>>> And yes, Jill, we do figure out what to do with the space we have!

>> I don't even have a formal dining table. I used to. It broke during a
>> move.
>> I do have a tiny, somewhat uneven wood dining table but it's in the
>> living
>> room. My dining room is basically a section of house with a wooden floor
>> that you must walk through to get into the dining or family room. I
>> bought a
>> commercial thick plastic table and some commercial padded banquet style
>> chairs to put in there just so there is a table. If need be, I can put a
>> cloth on it but we don't really use it for much of anything except for a
>> place to put groceries until we put them away.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> You could still bake on it though?
>>

> She'll find some reason why she can't knead dough on the table. At any
> rate, she answered her own question. She found a "giant ceramic platter
> from Sur La Table". In case you aren't familiar, Sur La Table is a
> kitchen and housewares shop located in Seattle (not far from Bothell where
> she lives).
>
> Here's a link to some of the platters they sell (not sure if you can view
> it in the UK):
>
> https://www.surlatable.com/search/se...eramic+platter
>
> I have no idea which one, if any, she's using for kneading bread dough.
> Most people just use a board or a countertop. <shrug>

It's none of those. It was a clearance item and I posted a link when I
bought it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> How does one knead on a slippery platter? Even with the usual damp cloth
> underneath it,
> the kneading action would be too much pressure for the kneading platform
> to stay still....?

The platter is quite heavy and not slippery at all. I've made several loaves
of bread on it. Doesn't work so well for rolling stuff out unless I'm
rolling a small amount and then I can't use my big marble pin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 2018-12-26 2:19 p.m., Nancy2 wrote:
>> How does one knead on a slippery platter? Even with the usual damp cloth
>> underneath it,
>> the kneading action would be too much pressure for the kneading platform
>> to stay still....?
>>
>> N.
>>

> The gardener holds it!

There's a thought!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Tuesday, December 25, 2018 at 12:33:37 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 03:05:38 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >>Thankfully mine is a galley kitchen and I have a side by side fridge.
> >>You
> >>can't however get by the fridge if the door is open and you have to
> >>*really*
> >>like the other person if two people are in there at the same time! I
> >>would
> >>love a giant kitchen. If I had unlimited finances and could build a
> >>home,
> >>the kitchen for sure would be the biggest room in the house. I'd have
> >>plenty
> >>of storage too. I'd rather have empty cupboards instead of cluttered
> >>counters

> > I've always been curious, Julie. How many square feet is your house
> > inside?

> About 1700 sq. ft. but do to a bizarre remodel, quite a bit of it is
> wasted
> space. There are few interior walls and far too many alcoves. Also the
> laundry room is deep but not very wide. We are currently having a dryer
> problem. The space is so tight that to get to the back of the dryer, you
> have to go over it. Thankfully the gardener is able to do it. I fear that
> could get over it but then get stuck and not be able to easily get back.

1700 sq. ft, would be a good sized single-family home on this rock. It's
going to cost $800,000 to $900,000 or more depending on the area. My guess
is that a lot of the young folks are going to move out of this state to live
on the mainland. Life is too hard over here. Eventually, a big part of this
state will be owned by foreign and mainland investors. That's the breaks.

This one more than doubled in price from what we paid for it. It's now worth
about half a million.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-27 5:47 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>> I have no idea which one, if any, she's using for kneading bread
>> dough. Most people just use a board or a countertop. <shrug>

> It's none of those. It was a clearance item and I posted a link when I
> bought it.

Have you been taking post trimming lessons from Ophelia? You post
included 7 previous posts and 120 lines of quoted text to make a 17 word
reply. Is that one of your works of haiku?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 12:52:20 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

> This one more than doubled in price from what we paid for it. It's now worth
> about half a million.

That is my understanding about the situation in your area - Oregon too. That's unfortunate for people looking to buy a home but it's a good deal for you. Well, it would be if you were looking to sell your home and move elsewhere.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote :
> On Thu 27 Dec 2018 09:21:15a, Dave Smith told us...

>>> It's none of those. It was a clearance item and I posted a link
>>> when I bought it.

>> Have you been taking post trimming lessons from Ophelia? You post
>> included 7 previous posts and 120 lines of quoted text to make a
>> 17 word reply. Is that one of your works of haiku?
>>

> And that's another 3 lines of wasted commentary, smart ass!
>
> I'll add 1 more line myself.

Heve you ever given David a blumpkin?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...?term=blumpkin

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

Wayne Boatwright wrote :
> On Thu 27 Dec 2018 09:21:15a, Dave Smith told us...

>>> It's none of those. It was a clearance item and I posted a link
>>> when I bought it.

>> Have you been taking post trimming lessons from Ophelia? You post
>> included 7 previous posts and 120 lines of quoted text to make a
>> 17 word reply. Is that one of your works of haiku?
>>

> And that's another 3 lines of wasted commentary, smart ass!
>
> I'll add 1 more line myself.

Heve you ever given David a blumpkin?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...?term=blumpkin

Jill

==

No, I don't believe you wrote that, but we know who Fakes you don't we? But
as for daft Dave, is he too thick to use a killfile? LOL Yep he sure is!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-27 12:39 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 12:52:20 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove
> wrote:
>>
>> This one more than doubled in price from what we paid for it. It's
>> now worth about half a million.

> That is my understanding about the situation in your area - Oregon
> too. That's unfortunate for people looking to buy a home but it's a
> good deal for you. Well, it would be if you were looking to sell your
> home and move elsewhere.

It's happening around here too. Housing prices in Toronto, about 70
miles from here, are soaring, so young people are looking for houses in
the burbs and commuting. Meanwhile, boomers that worked in Toronto are
cashing in on the soaring prices, selling their houses in the city for
$1-2 million and picking up a place in smaller towns for a fraction of
that and pocketing a lot of cash.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-27 12:40 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-12-27 12:39 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
>> On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 12:52:20 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> This one more than doubled in price from what we paid for it. It's
>>> now worth about half a million.

>> That is my understanding about the situation in your area - Oregon
>> too. That's unfortunate for people looking to buy a home but it's a
>> good deal for you. Well, it would be if you were looking to sell your
>> home and move elsewhere.
>>

> It's happening around here too. Housing prices in Toronto, about 70
> miles from here, are soaring, so young people are looking for housesĀ* in
> the burbs and commuting. Meanwhile, boomers that worked in Toronto are
> cashing in on the soaring prices, selling their houses in the city for
> $1-2 million and picking up a place in smaller towns for a fraction of
> that and pocketing a lot of cash.

That's happening in Vancouver but they move to the Okanagan and the
prices there are soaring as a result.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 14:33:25 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 03:05:38 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> I've always been curious, Julie. How many square feet is your house
>>> inside?

>>About 1700 sq. ft. but do to a bizarre remodel, quite a bit of it is
>>wasted
>>space. There are few interior walls and far too many alcoves. Also the
>>laundry room is deep but not very wide. We are currently having a dryer
>>problem. The space is so tight that to get to the back of the dryer, you
>>have to go over it. Thankfully the gardener is able to do it. I fear that
>>could get over it but then get stuck and not be able to easily get back.

> That's a pretty decent size house. I've sold houses that size that
> had full living room, dining room, kitchen, family room with
> fireplace, 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths and a decent laundry room. Good
> walk-in closet in the master and decent closets in other bedrooms and
> entryway. Good sized hallways and windows everywhere. I can't
> imagine all the troubles you have.
> Janet US

We have two full baths, but one is very small. Two bedrooms are tiny. One is
huge. Lots of windows. No hallways anywhere. No walk in closets. Like I
said, lots of wasted space. They took what was about an 800 sq. ft. two
bedroom and added on making it much deeper from back to front. House is also
on two levels with a little ramp connecting them. Very weird design.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 2:17:42 PM UTC-6, graham wrote:

> On 2018-12-27 12:40 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > It's happening around here too. Housing prices in Toronto, about 70
> > miles from here, are soaring, so young people are looking for housesĀ* in
> > the burbs and commuting. Meanwhile, boomers that worked in Toronto are
> > cashing in on the soaring prices, selling their houses in the city for
> > $1-2 million and picking up a place in smaller towns for a fraction of
> > that and pocketing a lot of cash.

> That's happening in Vancouver but they move to the Okanagan and the
> prices there are soaring as a result.

Twenty years ago on my side of town you could not give a house away until the
tornado swept through and did millions of dollars in improvements. It gen-
erated such a remodeling boom it's head spinning which has also generated
prop. tax increases that were head spinning, too. My side of town has become so
artsy fartsy with everyone moving here from New York, Rhode Island, California,
Nevada, etc. simply MUST live in this area. The building boom has produced
some quite ugly tall skinny duplexes that are selling for $400,000+ for each
side.

At least once a week I was getting a postcard from some realtor/flipper wanting
to buy my house sight unseen. Occasionally I would get a phone call from one
of these hucksters. But when I would tell them they could not afford my house
that would quickly end the annoying conversation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.198...

On Thu 27 Dec 2018 10:55:58a, jmcquown told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote :

>>> Have you been taking post trimming lessons from Ophelia? You
>>> post included 7 previous posts and 120 lines of quoted text to
>>> make a 17 word reply. Is that one of your works of haiku?
>>>

>> And that's another 3 lines of wasted commentary, smart ass!
>>
>> I'll add 1 more line myself.
>>

> Heve you ever given David a blumpkin?
>
> https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...?term=blumpkin
>
> Jill

Can't say that I have or would want to.

Wayne Boatwright

==

Wayne,

Of course I am not sure, but I don't think that was Jill. We have a nasty
piece of work here, goes by the nick of 'pamela' aka 'Judith Smith' aka 'Fat
Tony' which is his real name, in other groups. He followed me in here and
started to impersonate me. He then went on to do the same to Jill and
Carol.

Please don't give him oxygen!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 19:22:15 -0500, wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 14:21:52 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 11:14:33 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kbomVuBqqFdzGb

>>> I can't see any of your photos. Amazon keeps saying Sign in! Sign in!

>> I can see it without signing in... looks like the very worst living
>> conditions, like high rise penitentary barracks. I can't imagine that
>> anyone would freely choose to live that way, in C-ment cubicles... the
>> inmates must've all been convicted of some horrid crime so are being
>> punished.
>> When I visited my inlaws home in Belize everything was wide open, a
>> block from the sea and better weather than Aloha land. The house was
>> built up on pilings so no worry about hurricanes, the sea rolled in
>> underneath. We used a bedroom in the attic,
>> Me under coconut trees:
>> https://postimg.cc/gallery/ijsmpvpe/

> In that picture with the blue shorts (or skirt?), you look like a
> little girl with a mo.

That's the new navy utility uniform for *** recruits.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote :

>>> Have you been taking post trimming lessons from Ophelia? You post
>>> included 7 previous posts and 120 lines of quoted text to make a
>>> 17 word reply. Is that one of your works of haiku?
>>>

>> And that's another 3 lines of wasted commentary, smart ass!
>>
>> I'll add 1 more line myself.
>>

> Heve you ever given David a blumpkin?
>
> https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...?term=blumpkin
>
> Jill

Yoose are confused ... That's Popeye's job.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
> 5.198...
>
> On Thu 27 Dec 2018 10:55:58a, jmcquown told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote :
>>> On Thu 27 Dec 2018 09:21:15a, Dave Smith told us...

>>> And that's another 3 lines of wasted commentary, smart ass!
>>>
>>> I'll add 1 more line myself.
>>>

>> Heve you ever given David a blumpkin?
>>
>> https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...?term=blumpkin
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Can't say that I have or would want to.
>
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ==
>
> Wayne,
>
> Of course I am not sure, but I don't think that was Jill. We have a
> nasty piece of work here, goes by the nick of 'pamela' aka 'Judith Smith'
> aka 'Fat Tony' which is his real name, in other groups. He followed me in
> here and started to impersonate me. He then went on to do the same to
> Jill and Carol.
>
> Please don't give him oxygen!

Hoo boy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 12:52:20 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> This one more than doubled in price from what we paid for it. It's now
>> worth
>> about half a million.

> That is my understanding about the situation in your area - Oregon too.
> That's unfortunate for people looking to buy a home but it's a good deal
> for you. Well, it would be if you were looking to sell your home and move
> elsewhere.

Yes except I'm not selling. Couldn't afford to move. One bathroom is being
remodeled now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 2:13:06 AM UTC-8, Julie Bove wrote:
> I've tried a variety of surfaces over the years but my current favorite is a
> giant ceramic platter from Sur La Table. The edges curve up a bit to contain
> the flour. I also use it for setting dipped chocolates and other candies on
> to set. And it's perfect for cookies that have a coating that needs to set
> up. Makes things easy and contains any possible mess.

"Counter sheet" that rolls up and stows out of the way when I'm not
kneading. Something about how I was raised will not let me use the bare
countertop.

My grandmother raised two children in 728 square feet, although the
house did have an unfinished basement, where she did the laundry.
It had plenty of counter space, although when she made strudel she
put an old sheet over the dining table -- the house had a combined kitchen
and dining room, with a hutch -- to roll the dough out on.

I remember her instructions: knead till the dough was like a baby's
butt (presumably time for it to spring back after denting) and roll it
out so thin you could read the newspaper through it.

For Sunday dinner, when we visited, ten people could sit around the
table with both leaves added. Grandmother would sit closest the
kitchen so she could jump up and fetch things as needed. I sometimes
wondered when she actually ate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtr, your grandmother was probably like most family cooks who would feed a goodly number,
whether Sunday family dinner, or farm threshers, and was so filled up with the smells of what she was making,
along with small tastes to make sure everything was up to snuff, she probably wasn't hungry by the time
the meal was ready. ;-))

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 10:34:34 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>spamtr, your grandmother was probably like most family cooks who would feed a goodly number,
>whether Sunday family dinner, or farm threshers, and was so filled up with the smells of what she was making,
>along with small tastes to make sure everything was up to snuff, she probably wasn't hungry by the time
>the meal was ready. ;-))

There'd be too many cook's treats.... there'd be lots of bits and
pieces that are the best parts that most people don't eat or don't
even know are the best parts, like poultry oysters. I'm always amazed
at how many won't eat the end slice of bread or pound cake... rare
baked goods are disgusting... that's why I detest pie crust, no one
bakes it enough because it can't be baked enough smothered with juicy
fruit... the only way I'll eat pie crust is when cut with cookie
cutters, baked to a rich brown and dusted with powdered sugar. Pie
crust was never meant to be filled with juicy fruit.... even when the
bottom crust is pre baked filling it with juicy fruit destroys it. I
don't eat the crust on pot pies either. The only part of pie crust I
consider edible is the well done fluted edge, all the rest is critter
food. Most people underbake cakes, cookies, muffins, everything.... I
won't eat a cookie that can be bent. I absolutely HATE pancakes,
BLECH! Pancakes are a syrup n' butter sponges for the obeasties who
are in dire need of dental work.