Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What do you knead on?

In article >,
> wrote:

> I don't want to be distracted with any conversating while I'm cooking either.

Stop it!

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-24 4:34 p.m., Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> > wrote:
>
>> I don't want to be distracted with any conversating while I'm cooking either.

> Stop it!
>
> leo

Certainly stop this:"Conversating"!!!!!!!!!
From where did that linguistic monstrosity come?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
> On 2018-12-24 4:34 p.m., Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>> In article >,
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I don't want to be distracted with any conversating while I'm cooking
>>> either.

>> Stop it!
>>
>> leo
>>

> Certainly stop this:"Conversating"!!!!!!!!!
> From where did that linguistic monstrosity come?

Ebonics

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-24 9:45 p.m., Hank Rogers wrote:
> graham wrote:
>> On 2018-12-24 4:34 p.m., Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>>> In article >,

>>> Stop it!
>>>
>>> leo
>>>

>> Certainly stop this:"Conversating"!!!!!!!!!
>> Â*From where did that linguistic monstrosity come?

> Ebonics

Well there's no need to propagate it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
> On 2018-12-24 9:45 p.m., Hank Rogers wrote:
>> graham wrote:

>>> Certainly stop this:"Conversating"!!!!!!!!!
>>> From where did that linguistic monstrosity come?

>> Ebonics
>>

> Well there's no need to propagate it!

Popeye likes it, and there's no way yoose can stop that sailor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 20:49:51 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
>>On 2018-12-23 7:50 p.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Sun 23 Dec 2018 07:14:27p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

>>> I agree that a dual sink isn't essential if you have a dishwasher.
>>> However, even having our Bosch dishwasher, I still prefer having dual
>>> sinks and find they're more versatile. Our black granite sink has
>>> extra deep bowls and each bowl is large enough to accomodate the
>>> largest roaster or stockpot that we own, with room to spare.
>>>

>> I have a Franke double sink with integrated draining board that I
>>find invaluable, even though I have a DW.

> I couldn't give a shit if we have a single sink, a double sink or a
> triple sink. I'm not a metrosexual.

I think you mean metrosinkual.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news >
>
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news >>

>>> My grandmother baked bread several times a week to feed her family. She
>>> had a *tiny* kitchen. Of course back in her day the kitchen countertop
>>> wasn't cluttered with anything. No small appliances to take up space.
>>> She kneaded bread on the kitchen table. I suppose you don't have one of
>>> those, either. Most people figure out what to do in the space they
>>> have.

>> Right. Kitchen is too small for any kind of a table.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> So is mine! I work on the counters or on the table in the dining room
>>
>> And yes, Jill, we do figure out what to do with the space we have!

> I don't even have a formal dining table. I used to. It broke during a
> move.
> I do have a tiny, somewhat uneven wood dining table but it's in the living
> room. My dining room is basically a section of house with a wooden floor
> that you must walk through to get into the dining or family room. I bought
> commercial thick plastic table and some commercial padded banquet style
> chairs to put in there just so there is a table. If need be, I can put a
> cloth on it but we don't really use it for much of anything except for a
> place to put groceries until we put them away.
>
> ==
>
> You could still bake on it though?

Not really. It's too far from the kitchen and it's a textured plastic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 03:05:38 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> Reminds me of a kitchen we had in Hawaii. It was not possible to open
>>> the oven and the fridge at the same time.

>>Thankfully mine is a galley kitchen and I have a side by side fridge. You
>>can't however get by the fridge if the door is open and you have to
>>*really*
>>like the other person if two people are in there at the same time! I would
>>love a giant kitchen. If I had unlimited finances and could build a home,
>>the kitchen for sure would be the biggest room in the house. I'd have
>>plenty
>>of storage too. I'd rather have empty cupboards instead of cluttered
>>counters

> I've always been curious, Julie. How many square feet is your house
> inside?

About 1700 sq. ft. but do to a bizarre remodel, quite a bit of it is wasted
space. There are few interior walls and far too many alcoves. Also the
laundry room is deep but not very wide. We are currently having a dryer
problem. The space is so tight that to get to the back of the dryer, you
have to go over it. Thankfully the gardener is able to do it. I fear that I
could get over it but then get stuck and not be able to easily get back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> > LOL! Had no dishwasher in that place. Didn't even have a dual
>> > sink.
>> >
>> > It was a '1 room' 27th floor place off Kuilea in Honolulu.
>> >

>> Dual sink is nice for washing dishes, but with a dishwasher, not
>> needed. I hated ours for years. New house has a nice deep single
>> that can take a large pan.

> No dishwasher there and no big sink. It was only a 1/2 sort with a
> disposal. Really small place but we made it work, Don and I.
> Charlotte was not to come along for another 7 years.

My weirdest kitchen was when I lived above the dance studio. This was
essentially it.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...ram4=846947439

This stove:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...ram4=846947439

There was a strange piece of counter such as the one with the curved end
here except that the top was red and the wood part was black. The pole at
the end angled in and the shelves got progressively smaller to the point of
being useless except to hold small things. IIRC, I had a napkin holder on
the top shelf, salt and pepper shakers on the middle shelf and a kick knack
on the bottom shelf. The piece of counter was about 3.5 feet long and
somehow attached to the floor but there were no cabinets on either side. I
kept my trash can and a bin of things like potatoes and onions next to that.
My stereo was on the other side of it and I had a Peaches Record crate at
the other side.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...ram4=846947439

My fridge was an old while one (stove was brown), somewhat small and had to
be defrosted. I had shelves above the sink. My canisters were a red and
black plaid. I bought flannel fabric that matched them. I made curtains to
cover the shelves and more curtains to hang in the kitchen window.

What I kept on the shelves we A package of pasta, popcorn (until I got
braces on my teeth), Crisco, oil, herbs/spices, small baking things, a few
cans of veggies, tomato sauce, maybe a can or two of soup, rice, and usually
not much else.

I did a lot of baking so my extra flour and sugar, nuts and dried fruit were
in a bin on top of the fridge.

There was a free standing corner hutch that held my dishes, mixing bowls and
serving pieces.

There was a wall up built in cupboards in the living room. These held lines,
casseroles and other kitchen stuff.

It was my smallest kitchen and yet perfect for cooking baking because of the
double ovens and I had a large table at the open end of the kitchen. I used
the small piece of counter to mix dough and cool cookies on. If I was only
making a small batch of cookies or pasta, I could use the counter with waxed
paper on it to roll out the dough. I didn't like to roll it out directly on
the counter because I felt with the metal edge, I could never get it super
clean. Otherwise I had that big table to work on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> > > Dual sink is nice for washing dishes, but with a dishwasher, not
> > > needed. I hated ours for years. New house has a nice deep
> > > single that can take a large pan.

> > No dishwasher there and no big sink. It was only a 1/2 sort with a
> > disposal. Really small place but we made it work, Don and I.
> > Charlotte was not to come along for another 7 years.

> My weirdest kitchen was when I lived above the dance studio. This was
> essentially it.

Snipped, awkward link but yes. Small like the first sink.

> This stove:

Snipped, much bigger than I had in Hawaii. It was all to be even
smaller in Japan.

I'm amazed at all we did with the Japan kitchen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 11:21:21 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>>Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Dual sink is nice for washing dishes, but with a dishwasher, not
>>> needed. I hated ours for years. New house has a nice deep single
>>> that can take a large pan.

>>No dishwasher there and no big sink. It was only a 1/2 sort with a
>>disposal. Really small place but we made it work, Don and I.
>>Charlotte was not to come along for another 7 years.

> I don't like a very large kitchen where people can hang out. I have a
> spacious enough galley kitchen, very efficient, and I don't want/allow
> anyone helping me cook. I don't want to be distracted with any
> conversating while I'm cooking either. I have lots of cabinet and
> counter space and an over-size SS sink. I don't want guests rummaging
> in my cabinets and fridge because they never put things back where
> they found them. When people go out to eat they don't help the cook
> or wander about their kitchen, I operate the same. When I bring my
> car to the mechanic they don't allow me in their work space either.
> When I visit someone I respect their space the same as I expect guests
> to respect my space. I never tell guests to make themselves at home,
> they can make themselves at home at their home... otherwise they'll be
> drawing themselves a bath and napping in my bed. In fact I don't want
> guests watching TV... if watching TV is more important than visiting
> they'd best stay home or visit a sports bar.

I would put a big booth in at the open end. They could sit there and hang
out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 18:32:12 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 14:47:18 -0500, wrote:
>>
>>>I don't like a very large kitchen where people can hang out. I have a
>>>spacious enough galley kitchen, very efficient, and I don't want/allow
>>>anyone helping me cook. I don't want to be distracted with any
>>>conversating while I'm cooking either. I have lots of cabinet and
>>>counter space and an over-size SS sink. I don't want guests rummaging
>>>in my cabinets and fridge because they never put things back where
>>>they found them. When people go out to eat they don't help the cook
>>>or wander about their kitchen, I operate the same. When I bring my
>>>car to the mechanic they don't allow me in their work space either.
>>>When I visit someone I respect their space the same as I expect guests
>>>to respect my space. I never tell guests to make themselves at home,
>>>they can make themselves at home at their home... otherwise they'll be
>>>drawing themselves a bath and napping in my bed. In fact I don't want
>>>guests watching TV... if watching TV is more important than visiting
>>>they'd best stay home or visit a sports bar.

>> This reads like the diary of a neurotic control freak. The least
>> relaxed man in the state.

>We should let Steve decide. He has the psych. degree.

But I'm a very creative amateur psychologist.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 14:29:02 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .

>>> I have a Franke double sink with integrated draining board that I
>>>find invaluable, even though I have a DW.

>> I couldn't give a shit if we have a single sink, a double sink or a
>> triple sink. I'm not a metrosexual.

>I think you mean metrosinkual.

lol, that must be it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 10:36:29 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 12/21/2018 12:09 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> The very few times I've needed to knead dough I've done it straight on
>>> the countertop.

>> I used to do that but my kitchen is too small and I have no free
>> countertop space here.

>My grandmother baked bread several times a week to feed her family.

Why else? To clean her gutters with?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 07:59:28 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 9:16:26 AM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
>> >
>> > Formica countertop. Then again, the only thing I make is pizza crust,
>> > and the recipe I use requires no bench flour.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton

>> Hardly BAKING!! :-(

>I never claimed to be much of a baker. I spread the wealth
>at the local bakery, rather than deprive them of a living.

So home bakers are bad people. They can share a special section of
hell with the home vegetable growers, the home beer makers, the home
clothes sewers and the DIY'ers
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 25, 2018 at 12:33:37 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 03:05:38 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >>Thankfully mine is a galley kitchen and I have a side by side fridge. You
> >>can't however get by the fridge if the door is open and you have to
> >>*really*
> >>like the other person if two people are in there at the same time! I would
> >>love a giant kitchen. If I had unlimited finances and could build a home,
> >>the kitchen for sure would be the biggest room in the house. I'd have
> >>plenty
> >>of storage too. I'd rather have empty cupboards instead of cluttered
> >>counters

> > I've always been curious, Julie. How many square feet is your house
> > inside?

> About 1700 sq. ft. but do to a bizarre remodel, quite a bit of it is wasted
> space. There are few interior walls and far too many alcoves. Also the
> laundry room is deep but not very wide. We are currently having a dryer
> problem. The space is so tight that to get to the back of the dryer, you
> have to go over it. Thankfully the gardener is able to do it. I fear that I
> could get over it but then get stuck and not be able to easily get back.

1700 sq. ft, would be a good sized single-family home on this rock. It's going to cost $800,000 to $900,000 or more depending on the area. My guess is that a lot of the young folks are going to move out of this state to live on the mainland. Life is too hard over here. Eventually, a big part of this state will be owned by foreign and mainland investors. That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 25, 2018 at 7:46:05 PM UTC-7, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 18:32:12 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Bruce" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> This reads like the diary of a neurotic control freak. The least
> >> relaxed man in the state.

> >We should let Steve decide. He has the psych. degree.

> But I'm a very creative amateur psychologist.

More like an amateur astrologist.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 00:42:50 -0800 (PST), Roy >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 25, 2018 at 7:46:05 PM UTC-7, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 18:32:12 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >"Bruce" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >We should let Steve decide. He has the psych. degree.

>> But I'm a very creative amateur psychologist.

>More like an amateur astrologist.

True, but I do that on the side.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 2:08:56 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> 1700 sq. ft, would be a good sized single-family home on this rock. It's going to cost $800,000 to $900,000 or more depending on the area. My guess is that a lot of the young folks are going to move out of this state to live on the mainland. Life is too hard over here. Eventually, a big part of this state will be owned by foreign and mainland investors. That's the breaks..

1700 square feet would be about $279,000 here, on average.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 14:33:25 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 03:05:38 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>Thankfully mine is a galley kitchen and I have a side by side fridge. You
>>>can't however get by the fridge if the door is open and you have to
>>>*really*
>>>like the other person if two people are in there at the same time! I would
>>>love a giant kitchen. If I had unlimited finances and could build a home,
>>>the kitchen for sure would be the biggest room in the house. I'd have
>>>plenty
>>>of storage too. I'd rather have empty cupboards instead of cluttered
>>>counters

>> I've always been curious, Julie. How many square feet is your house
>> inside?

>About 1700 sq. ft. but do to a bizarre remodel, quite a bit of it is wasted
>space. There are few interior walls and far too many alcoves. Also the
>laundry room is deep but not very wide. We are currently having a dryer
>problem. The space is so tight that to get to the back of the dryer, you
>have to go over it. Thankfully the gardener is able to do it. I fear that I
>could get over it but then get stuck and not be able to easily get back.

That's a pretty decent size house. I've sold houses that size that
had full living room, dining room, kitchen, family room with
fireplace, 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths and a decent laundry room. Good
walk-in closet in the master and decent closets in other bedrooms and
entryway. Good sized hallways and windows everywhere. I can't
imagine all the troubles you have.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 1:22:15 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 2:08:56 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>
> > 1700 sq. ft, would be a good sized single-family home on this rock. It's going to cost $800,000 to $900,000 or more depending on the area. My guess is that a lot of the young folks are going to move out of this state to live on the mainland. Life is too hard over here. Eventually, a big part of this state will be owned by foreign and mainland investors. That's the breaks.

> 1700 square feet would be about $279,000 here, on average.
>

> Cindy Hamilton

My dad's house was built back in the early 60's using the construction techniques common to the time. It's held up by boards - just single walls of boards. That kind of construction would be incomprehensible to builders on the mainland. They would think that there's no load bearing beams or framing to hold the building up. They'd be right too. OTOH, it's kind of frighting to be in such a home during a hurricane. That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 11:19:59 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 1:22:15 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 2:08:56 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > > 1700 sq. ft, would be a good sized single-family home on this rock. It's going to cost $800,000 to $900,000 or more depending on the area. My guess is that a lot of the young folks are going to move out of this state to live on the mainland. Life is too hard over here. Eventually, a big part of this state will be owned by foreign and mainland investors. That's the breaks.

> > 1700 square feet would be about $279,000 here, on average.
> >

> > Cindy Hamilton

> My dad's house was built back in the early 60's using the construction techniques common to the time. It's held up by boards - just single walls of boards. That kind of construction would be incomprehensible to builders on the mainland. They would think that there's no load bearing beams or framing to hold the building up. They'd be right too. OTOH, it's kind of frighting to be in such a home during a hurricane. That's the breaks.

My house was built in 1948 by a stonemason. He wasn't a very
good carpenter, so it ended up being built like a fireworks
factory. The walls are very sturdy, but a good tornado would
blow the roof to Canada.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 6:27:46 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 11:19:59 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> > > 1700 square feet would be about $279,000 here, on average.
> > >

> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > My dad's house was built back in the early 60's using the construction techniques common to the time. It's held up by boards - just single walls of boards. That kind of construction would be incomprehensible to builders on the mainland. They would think that there's no load bearing beams or framing to hold the building up. They'd be right too. OTOH, it's kind of frighting to be in such a home during a hurricane. That's the breaks.

> My house was built in 1948 by a stonemason. He wasn't a very
> good carpenter, so it ended up being built like a fireworks
> factory. The walls are very sturdy, but a good tornado would
> blow the roof to Canada.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

That's a pretty good deal - except for the part about the tornado and the roof.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 11:54:22 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 6:27:46 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > My dad's house was built back in the early 60's using the construction techniques common to the time. It's held up by boards - just single walls of boards. That kind of construction would be incomprehensible to builders on the mainland. They would think that there's no load bearing beams or framing to hold the building up. They'd be right too. OTOH, it's kind of frighting to be in such a home during a hurricane. That's the breaks.

> > My house was built in 1948 by a stonemason. He wasn't a very
> > good carpenter, so it ended up being built like a fireworks
> > factory. The walls are very sturdy, but a good tornado would
> > blow the roof to Canada.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> That's a pretty good deal - except for the part about the tornado and the roof.

It's been standing through 70 tornado seasons. So far, so good.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 7:02:37 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 11:54:22 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> > > My house was built in 1948 by a stonemason. He wasn't a very
> > > good carpenter, so it ended up being built like a fireworks
> > > factory. The walls are very sturdy, but a good tornado would
> > > blow the roof to Canada.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > That's a pretty good deal - except for the part about the tornado and the roof.

> It's been standing through 70 tornado seasons. So far, so good.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

My dad enlarged and enclosed the patio. He said it's designed to have some panels blow out if the air pressures got too high inside during a storm. This design theory has yet to be tested...

I'll probably have to live in my dad's house one day. I'd feel a lot safer during a hurricane in my condo. Hopefully, I can take shelter there during a storm. That would be great!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kbomVuBqqFdzGb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 13:46:01 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 18:32:12 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> This reads like the diary of a neurotic control freak. The least
>>> relaxed man in the state.

>>We should let Steve decide. He has the psych. degree.

>But I'm a very creative amateur psychologist.

With atrocious manners and no couth... you likely live in a pig sty so
don't care how your boarish guests comport themselves.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/24/2018 5:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Julie Bove"* wrote in message news >
>
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Julie Bove"* wrote in message news >>

>>> My grandmother baked bread several times a week to feed her family.* She
>>> had a *tiny* kitchen.* Of course back in her day the kitchen countertop
>>> wasn't cluttered with anything.* No small appliances to take up space.
>>> She kneaded bread on the kitchen table.* I suppose you don't have one of
>>> those, either.* Most people figure out what to do in the space they
>>> have.

>> Right. Kitchen is too small for any kind of a table.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> So is mine!* I work on the counters or on the table in the dining room
>>
>> And yes, Jill, we do figure out what to do with the space we have!

> I don't even have a formal dining table. I used to. It broke during a move.
> I do have a tiny, somewhat uneven wood dining table but it's in the living
> room. My dining room is basically a section of house with a wooden floor
> that you must walk through to get into the dining or family room. I
> bought a
> commercial thick plastic table and some commercial padded banquet style
> chairs to put in there just so there is a table. If need be, I can put a
> cloth on it but we don't really use it for much of anything except for a
> place to put groceries until we put them away.
>
> ==
>
> You could still bake on it though?

She'll find some reason why she can't knead dough on the table. At any
rate, she answered her own question. She found a "giant ceramic platter
from Sur La Table". In case you aren't familiar, Sur La Table is a
kitchen and housewares shop located in Seattle (not far from Bothell
where she lives).

Here's a link to some of the platters they sell (not sure if you can
view it in the UK):

https://www.surlatable.com/search/se...eramic+platter

I have no idea which one, if any, she's using for kneading bread dough.
Most people just use a board or a countertop. <shrug>

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 12/24/2018 5:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news >
>
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news >>

>>> My grandmother baked bread several times a week to feed her family. She
>>> had a *tiny* kitchen. Of course back in her day the kitchen countertop
>>> wasn't cluttered with anything. No small appliances to take up space.
>>> She kneaded bread on the kitchen table. I suppose you don't have one of
>>> those, either. Most people figure out what to do in the space they
>>> have.

>> Right. Kitchen is too small for any kind of a table.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> So is mine! I work on the counters or on the table in the dining room
>>
>> And yes, Jill, we do figure out what to do with the space we have!

> I don't even have a formal dining table. I used to. It broke during a
> move.
> I do have a tiny, somewhat uneven wood dining table but it's in the living
> room. My dining room is basically a section of house with a wooden floor
> that you must walk through to get into the dining or family room. I bought
> commercial thick plastic table and some commercial padded banquet style
> chairs to put in there just so there is a table. If need be, I can put a
> cloth on it but we don't really use it for much of anything except for a
> place to put groceries until we put them away.
>
> ==
>
> You could still bake on it though?

She'll find some reason why she can't knead dough on the table. At any
rate, she answered her own question. She found a "giant ceramic platter
from Sur La Table". In case you aren't familiar, Sur La Table is a
kitchen and housewares shop located in Seattle (not far from Bothell
where she lives).

Here's a link to some of the platters they sell (not sure if you can
view it in the UK):

https://www.surlatable.com/search/se...eramic+platter

I have no idea which one, if any, she's using for kneading bread dough.
Most people just use a board or a countertop. <shrug>

Jill

==

sigh. For pities sake, Jill, give a rest!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Sheldon wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 13:46:01 +1100, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 18:32:12 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
> >
> >>"Bruce" > wrote in message
> . ..

> >>We should let Steve decide. He has the psych. degree.

> >But I'm a very creative amateur psychologist.

> With atrocious manners and no couth... you likely live in a pig sty so
> don't care how your boarish guests comport themselves.

Lol...truth...!!!

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>
> On 12/24/2018 5:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > "Julie Bove" wrote in message news > >
> >
> > "Ophelia" > wrote in message

> >> Right. Kitchen is too small for any kind of a table.
> >>
> >> ==
> >>
> >> So is mine! I work on the counters or on the table in the dining room
> >>
> >> And yes, Jill, we do figure out what to do with the space we have!

> > I don't even have a formal dining table. I used to. It broke during a
> > move.
> > I do have a tiny, somewhat uneven wood dining table but it's in the living
> > room. My dining room is basically a section of house with a wooden floor
> > that you must walk through to get into the dining or family room. I bought
> > commercial thick plastic table and some commercial padded banquet style
> > chairs to put in there just so there is a table. If need be, I can put a
> > cloth on it but we don't really use it for much of anything except for a
> > place to put groceries until we put them away.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > You could still bake on it though?
> >

> She'll find some reason why she can't knead dough on the table. At any
> rate, she answered her own question. She found a "giant ceramic platter
> from Sur La Table". In case you aren't familiar, Sur La Table is a
> kitchen and housewares shop located in Seattle (not far from Bothell
> where she lives).
>
> Here's a link to some of the platters they sell (not sure if you can
> view it in the UK):
>
> https://www.surlatable.com/search/se...eramic+platter
>
> I have no idea which one, if any, she's using for kneading bread dough.
> Most people just use a board or a countertop. <shrug>
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> sigh. For pities sake, Jill, give a rest!!!

Yup, *exactly*, Ms. O....Jill and also Smith are always whinging on about how the bove and KUTHE! "hijack" this group with their errant nonsense, but they are always constantly "feeding" the issue by their constant retorts.

Jill and Smith are just a couple of bored shite - stirrers, they both need to find something more useful to do with their time...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/26/2018 1:15 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown"* wrote in message ...
>
> On 12/24/2018 5:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Julie Bove"* wrote in message news >>
>>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> Right. Kitchen is too small for any kind of a table.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> So is mine!* I work on the counters or on the table in the dining room
>>>
>>> And yes, Jill, we do figure out what to do with the space we have!

>> I don't even have a formal dining table. I used to. It broke during a
>> move.
>> I do have a tiny, somewhat uneven wood dining table but it's in the
>> living
>> room. My dining room is basically a section of house with a wooden floor
>> that you must walk through to get into the dining or family room. I
>> bought a
>> commercial thick plastic table and some commercial padded banquet style
>> chairs to put in there just so there is a table. If need be, I can put a
>> cloth on it but we don't really use it for much of anything except for a
>> place to put groceries until we put them away.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> You could still bake on it though?
>>

> She'll find some reason why she can't knead dough on the table.* At any
> rate, she answered her own question.* She found a "giant ceramic platter
> from Sur La Table".* In case you aren't familiar, Sur La Table is a
> kitchen and housewares shop located in Seattle (not far from Bothell
> where she lives).
>
> Here's a link to some of the platters they sell (not sure if you can
> view it in the UK):
>
> https://www.surlatable.com/search/se...eramic+platter
>

> I have no idea which one, if any, she's using for kneading bread dough.
> Most people just use a board or a countertop. <shrug>
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> sigh.* For pities sake, Jill, give a rest!!!

Give what a rest? She asked the question. You asked if she could still
bake on it (she asked about kneading, not baking on it). I gave you a
link to what they have at Sur La Table in terms of "platters". Sheesh!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 14:00:44 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 12/26/2018 1:15 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "jmcquown"* wrote in message ...
>>
>> On 12/24/2018 5:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> You could still bake on it though?
>>>

>> She'll find some reason why she can't knead dough on the table.* At any
>> rate, she answered her own question.* She found a "giant ceramic platter
>> from Sur La Table".* In case you aren't familiar, Sur La Table is a
>> kitchen and housewares shop located in Seattle (not far from Bothell
>> where she lives).
>>
>> Here's a link to some of the platters they sell (not sure if you can
>> view it in the UK):
>>
>> https://www.surlatable.com/search/se...eramic+platter
>>

>> I have no idea which one, if any, she's using for kneading bread dough.
>> Most people just use a board or a countertop. <shrug>
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> sigh.* For pities sake, Jill, give a rest!!!
>>

>Give what a rest? She asked the question. You asked if she could still
>bake on it (she asked about kneading, not baking on it). I gave you a
>link to what they have at Sur La Table in terms of "platters". Sheesh!

The Nile is not just a river in Egypt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Jill McQuown wrote:

> On 12/26/2018 1:15 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > "jmcquown"Â* wrote in message ...
> >
> > On 12/24/2018 5:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> >> I don't even have a formal dining table. I used to. It broke during a
> >> move.
> >> I do have a tiny, somewhat uneven wood dining table but it's in the
> >> living
> >> room. My dining room is basically a section of house with a wooden floor
> >> that you must walk through to get into the dining or family room. I
> >> bought a
> >> commercial thick plastic table and some commercial padded banquet style
> >> chairs to put in there just so there is a table. If need be, I can put a
> >> cloth on it but we don't really use it for much of anything except for a
> >> place to put groceries until we put them away.
> >>
> >> ==
> >>
> >> You could still bake on it though?
> >>

> > She'll find some reason why she can't knead dough on the table.Â* At any
> > rate, she answered her own question.Â* She found a "giant ceramic platter
> > from Sur La Table".Â* In case you aren't familiar, Sur La Table is a
> > kitchen and housewares shop located in Seattle (not far from Bothell
> > where she lives).
> >
> > Here's a link to some of the platters they sell (not sure if you can
> > view it in the UK):
> >
> > https://www.surlatable.com/search/se...eramic+platter
> >

> > I have no idea which one, if any, she's using for kneading bread dough.
> > Most people just use a board or a countertop. <shrug>
> >
> > Jill
> >
> > ==
> >
> > sigh.Â* For pities sake, Jill, give a rest!!!
> >

> Give what a rest? She asked the question. You asked if she could still
> bake on it (she asked about kneading, not baking on it). I gave you a
> link to what they have at Sur La Table in terms of "platters". Sheesh!

Jill, isn't it a *wee* bit early in the day to break open the box wine...???

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/25/2018 5:30 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Julie Bove"* wrote in message news >>
>>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> Right. Kitchen is too small for any kind of a table.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> So is mine!* I work on the counters or on the table in the dining room
>>>
>>> And yes, Jill, we do figure out what to do with the space we have!

>> I don't even have a formal dining table. I used to. It broke during a
>> move.
>> I do have a tiny, somewhat uneven wood dining table but it's in the
>> living
>> room. My dining room is basically a section of house with a wooden floor
>> that you must walk through to get into the dining or family room. I
>> bought a
>> commercial thick plastic table and some commercial padded banquet style
>> chairs to put in there just so there is a table. If need be, I can put a
>> cloth on it but we don't really use it for much of anything except for a
>> place to put groceries until we put them away.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> You could still bake on it though?

> Not really. It's too far from the kitchen and it's a textured plastic.

No big surprise in this answer.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/23/2018 9:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Dual sink is nice for washing dishes, but with a dishwasher, not needed.
> Â*I hated ours for years.Â* New house has a nice deep single that can
> take a large pan.

I miss that about my old apartment! I liked the nice large deep single
sink. Even though it was a very small kitchen and counterspace was
limited, I had a small collapsible "french style" dish rack off to the side.

Back to the original topic, I managed to find space to knead dough on
the counter top in that small kitchen.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 14:21:35 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 14:29:02 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I couldn't give a shit if we have a single sink, a double sink or a
>>> triple sink. I'm not a metrosexual.

>>I think you mean metrosinkual.

>lol, that must be it.

An over sized single sink works well and if you don't need/want to
fill it there are plastic dish pans of all sizes that are handy for
many uses, we have several... my wife uses plastic dish pans for
soaking her knitted garments, and for hand washing dainties. We both
use a large one for a good foot soak. Our kitchen sink is 28" X 16" X
8"deep, very handy for soaking large roasting pans, and easily
accomodates all my oversized pots. When we moved here there was a
smallish SS double sink... one of the first things changed... to me a
double sink is a wet bar sink... has absolutely no use for someone who
cooks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 dsi1 wrote:
>
>> 1700 sq. ft, would be a good sized single-family home on this rock. It's going to cost $800,000 to $900,000 or more depending on the area. My guess is that a lot of the young folks are going to move out of this state to live on the mainland. Life is too hard over here. Eventually, a big part of this state will be owned by foreign and mainland investors. That's the breaks.

>1700 square feet would be about $279,000 here, on average.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Our 2,000 SQ FT house with out buildings on 17+ acres cost $265,000
sixteen years ago. I've no idea what it would cost now. Our next
move will be to the creamatorium and have our ashes spread on our back
field.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

How does one knead on a slippery platter? Even with the usual damp cloth underneath it,
the kneading action would be too much pressure for the kneading platform to stay still....?

N.