Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's on your Christmas Dinner Menu?

jmcquown > wrote:
> Even if you don't celebrate Christmas (please don't lets get into a
> religous debate!) do you plan to cook anything special on or about
> December 25th?
>
> I am going to cook a small standing rib roast. Season well with S&P.
> Cut slits in the top of the roast and stud it with slivers of garlic.
> Pat with dried thyme. Drizzle a little neutral oil to set the seasonings.
>
> Place it in the oven at fairly high heat to begin with, then turn it
> down and let it cook on very low heat for a couple of hours.
>
> I had a recipe my mother cut out of a newspaper about cooking standing
> rib roast. It involved cranking up the oven then turning the oven
> completely off and just letting the roast sit there. DO NOT Open the
> oven door. I remeber that!
>
> I've got the hand written recipe around here someplace. It really did
> make for a perfect prime rib roast. The slices graduated from well done
> at the ends to beautiful medium-rare in the middle. Absolutely juicy
> and tender througout.
>
> I'm going to be buying a much smaller roast this year so I'm winging the
> cooking times. I'll start it out hot and turn it way down. Yes, I have
> an instant read meat thermometer. I'll be hoping for no more than
> medium rare on this rib roast.
>
> Jill

We are having a very untraditional dinner of Indian food on Christmas Day.
Ill probably make up for that by serving a traditional American
Christmas dinner when its just the 3 of us the following weekend.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 7:20:04 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
> writes:

> >> 1. Even we atheists get the day off work, affording an opportunity to
> >> cook
> >> something more special than is usual for a Tuesday.
> >>

> >Yep, everyone gets the day off. Even grocery stores cut their hours
> >short on December 25th.
> >
> >> 2. Perhaps Jill means "celebrate as a religious holiday". We
> >> celebrate it
> >> as a cultural holiday, just as we do Thanksgiving.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton
> >>

> >You get it!
> >
> >Jill

> I have a dead douglas fir propped up in the living room with lights and
> stuff on it and I'm not even a pagan!
>
> we're going to have turkey dinner on the 24th, with stuffing and cranberry
> sauce, and oh yeah some vegetable thing of some sort

Christmas is a very popular/important holiday in Japan - a non-Christian
nation. My guess is that's the direction that the US is heading - a secular,
non-sentimental, non-reflective, Christmas. The younger generation is apt to
reject their parents religious backstory about the season. Mike Pence and
his buddies will also lessen the appeal of religion for the kids. They shall
be even better at this than Satan and his buddies.

Christmas in Japan is mostly just an excuse to give presents and eat KFC.
Merīkurisumasu!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p02x5OCNJpA

=

Cute kids)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2018 4:42 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1"* wrote in message
>
> Christmas is a very popular/important holiday in Japan - a non-Christian
> nation. My guess is that's the direction that the US is heading - a
> secular,
> non-sentimental, non-reflective, Christmas. The younger generation is
> apt to
> reject their parents religious backstory about the season. Mike Pence and
> his buddies will also lessen the appeal of religion for the kids. They
> shall
> be even better at this than Satan and his buddies.
>
> Christmas in Japan is mostly just an excuse to give presents and eat KFC.
> Merīkurisumasu!
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p02x5OCNJpA
>
> =
>
> Cute kids)

Here's a funny thing. When I lived in Bangkok as a child I noticed the
Thai and Chinese people *loved* Christmas decorations. They'd have them
hanging in their shops year round. No, not Santas or reindeer, just
bright shiny bobbles and tinsel and garland. I thought it was rather
odd. They weren't eating KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken), though.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2018 11:36 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 19 Dec 2018 09:58:59p, jmcquown told us...
>
>> Even if you don't celebrate Christmas (please don't lets get into
>> a religous debate!) do you plan to cook anything special on or
>> about December 25th?
>>
>> I am going to cook a small standing rib roast. Season well with
>> S&P. Cut slits in the top of the roast and stud it with slivers of
>> garlic. Pat with dried thyme. Drizzle a little neutral oil to set
>> the seasonings.
>>
>> Place it in the oven at fairly high heat to begin with, then turn
>> it down and let it cook on very low heat for a couple of hours.
>>
>> I had a recipe my mother cut out of a newspaper about cooking
>> standing rib roast. It involved cranking up the oven then turning
>> the oven completely off and just letting the roast sit there. DO
>> NOT Open the oven door. I remeber that!
>>
>> I've got the hand written recipe around here someplace. It really
>> did make for a perfect prime rib roast. The slices graduated from
>> well done at the ends to beautiful medium-rare in the middle.
>> Absolutely juicy and tender througout.
>>
>> I'm going to be buying a much smaller roast this year so I'm
>> winging the cooking times. I'll start it out hot and turn it way
>> down. Yes, I have an instant read meat thermometer. I'll be
>> hoping for no more than medium rare on this rib roast.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> We've been using the method you mother found in the newspaper for
> around 30 years. It seems to always be a areliable way tho get the
> resulots you expect.

It works very well. Don't forget to stud the roast with slivers of
garlic! Best done with a five rib roast. Set the (electric) oven to
highest heat (525F). Then turn the oven completely off for a few hours.
Turn it back on at 325F and roast for another 30 to 45 minutes.

It always comes out perfectly for those who want well done (at the ends
- I'm not a fan of well done beef) graduating to medium rare in the
middle. This year I'll be making a smaller roast so I'll cut down the
cooking time.

Mostly what I find these days is rib roast with the bones cut then tied
back on. What's the point of that? I want the roast to be on the bone.
It tastes so much better. IMHO.

> This Christmas we're having a slow-roasted brisket, potato latkes,
> sweet & sour red cabbage, and roasted green beans. David will have
> pumpkin pie and I will have mince pie.

Enjoy! Happy Holidays to you and David.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 12:14:59 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> Mostly what I find these days is rib roast with the bones cut then tied
> back on. What's the point of that?

Makes it easier to carve. I'm going to take advantage of it, untie
it, salt between the bones and meat and tie it back on.

>I want the roast to be on the bone.
> It tastes so much better. IMHO.

Experimentation does not bear this out:

<https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/ask-the-food-lab-do-bones-add-flavor-to-meat-beef.html>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-21 11:38 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 12:14:59 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>
>> Mostly what I find these days is rib roast with the bones cut then tied
>> back on. What's the point of that?

> Makes it easier to carve. I'm going to take advantage of it, untie
> it, salt between the bones and meat and tie it back on.
>
>> I want the roast to be on the bone.
>> It tastes so much better. IMHO.
>>

> Experimentation does not bear this out:
>
> <https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/ask-the-food-lab-do-bones-add-flavor-to-meat-beef.html>
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I've been reluctant to believe that too! When my parents bought joints
of beef on the bone, saying that the taste was better, I couldn't
discern any difference.
I think it's an elderly married woman's tale:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks Jill, our meal is pretty ordinary this year, but it's what I know the teens will eat. The first Christmas without loved ones is gonna be tough on us all, especially the kids.

Denise in NH, where it was 63° on the first day of winter, unbelievable, not a speck of snow on the ground in weeks! Not that I'm complaining.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message

Thanks Jill, our meal is pretty ordinary this year, but it's what I know the
teens will eat. The first Christmas without loved ones is gonna be tough on
us all, especially the kids.

Denise in NH, where it was 63° on the first day of winter, unbelievable, not
a speck of snow on the ground in weeks! Not that I'm complaining.

===

I am sure all your efforts will be much appreciated. At least they have you
and know they are still loved.

Good wishes that all goes well!

Do you have a Christmas Menu? Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 249 29-12-2011 09:15 PM
Christmas dinner menu Gene Barbecue 27 26-12-2011 03:31 AM
our christmas menu Storrmmee Barbecue 2 25-12-2011 09:55 AM
Got our Christmas menu Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 9 21-12-2010 09:04 AM
Your Christmas Dinner Menu? Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 59 19-12-2005 11:31 PM