Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pig Ass

This morning I stopped in the market in town and ordered a butt half
fresh ham... they had smoked/cured hams on sale for 89¢/lb but just
didn't feel like going cheapo with salty pork again. I'll be picking
it up on Saturday, 22nd. Fresh ham is the King of all roasts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message ...

This morning I stopped in the market in town and ordered a butt half
fresh ham... they had smoked/cured hams on sale for 89¢/lb but just
didn't feel like going cheapo with salty pork again. I'll be picking
it up on Saturday, 22nd. Fresh ham is the King of all roasts.

==

Are you saying your 'pig ass' is pig butt??

I learned here that is what you call the shoulder!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 6:56:02 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 12/17/2018 5:14 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> TIAD. I don't think you've had ham since they used salt to preserve
> >> it, and before refrigeration.
> >>
> >> Fresh ham is the cheapest piece of pig you can buy and makes the
> >> worst roast. That's ahy 99.8% of them are cured and smoked. The
> >> best fresh roast of pork is a pork butt (from the shoulder).
> >>
> >> -sw

> > Butt is too fatty for me. I like a fresh ham, but only in the summer
> > when we can rotisserie it over hardwood charcoal.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Â* Does that mean it's too cold to smoke a butt ? I don't pay much
> attention to the temps , but rain or snow will keep me from grilling or
> smoking . But then I also seem to recall you live a bit north of me , so
> your weather may prevent you from cooking outside.

Right now it's 37 F, which is a little above average for
December 17. In January, we might see a daytime high that
is colder than your freezer.

It's not too cold to grill, provided the wind is low.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 03:14:06 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 7:36:19 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 17:55:05 -0500, wrote:
>>
>> > This morning I stopped in the market in town and ordered a butt half
>> > fresh ham... they had smoked/cured hams on sale for 89?/lb but just
>> > didn't feel like going cheapo with salty pork again. I'll be picking
>> > it up on Saturday, 22nd. Fresh ham is the King of all roasts.

>> TIAD. I don't think you've had ham since they used salt to preserve
>> it, and before refrigeration.
>>
>> Fresh ham is the cheapest piece of pig you can buy and makes the
>> worst roast. That's ahy 99.8% of them are cured and smoked. The
>> best fresh roast of pork is a pork butt (from the shoulder).
>>
>> -sw

>Butt is too fatty for me. I like a fresh ham, but only in the summer
>when we can rotisserie it over hardwood charcoal.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Most hams are cured because fresh ham has a very short shelf life
unless frozen and freezing makes ham dry and tough.
Also a fresh ham is a large piece of meat that most people simply
don't buy because even half a ham is too much or they haven't a clue
how to prepare it. I always need to special order fresh ham, it's
rare to see it out in the meat case. They come in cryovaced and once
prepared for sale they are only good for 3-4 days.

I often roast a fresh ham for New Years but this year it's for
Christmas Eve. Here's a shank half from a while ago:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/1g2uh3q70/
In the pan it's just seasoned, not roasted yet.
This time I ordered a smaller half (7-8 lbs) as with age come fewer
guests.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17 Dec 2018, wrote
(in >):

wrote:

> > > TIAD. I don't think you've had ham since they used salt to preserve
> > > it, and before refrigeration.
> > >
> > > Fresh ham is the cheapest piece of pig you can buy and makes the
> > > worst roast. That's ahy 99.8% of them are cured and smoked. The
> > > best fresh roast of pork is a pork butt (from the shoulder).
> > >
> > > -sw

> > Butt is too fatty for me. I like a fresh ham, but only in the summer
> > when we can rotisserie it over hardwood charcoal.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Most hams are cured because fresh ham has a very short shelf life
> unless frozen and freezing makes ham dry and tough.
> Also a fresh ham is a large piece of meat that most people simply
> don't buy because even half a ham is too much or they haven't a clue
> how to prepare it. I always need to special order fresh ham, it's
> rare to see it out in the meat case. They come in cryovaced and once
> prepared for sale they are only good for 3-4 days.
>
> I often roast a fresh ham for New Years but this year it's for
> Christmas Eve. Here's a shank half from a while ago:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1g2uh3q70/

That looks really nice.

> In the pan it's just seasoned, not roasted yet.
> This time I ordered a smaller half (7-8 lbs) as with age come fewer
> guests.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 17:55:05 -0500, wrote:
>
> > This morning I stopped in the market in town and ordered a butt half
> > fresh ham... they had smoked/cured hams on sale for 89¢/lb but just
> > didn't feel like going cheapo with salty pork again. I'll be
> > picking it up on Saturday, 22nd. Fresh ham is the King of all
> > roasts.

> TIAD. I don't think you've had ham since they used salt to preserve
> it, and before refrigeration.
>
> Fresh ham is the cheapest piece of pig you can buy and makes the
> worst roast. That's ahy 99.8% of them are cured and smoked. The
> best fresh roast of pork is a pork butt (from the shoulder).
>
> -sw

Actually, I am with Sheldon on this one if we have the same cut. It's
the same one used to make ham (leg bone and all). I like cured ham too.

I'm trying to find one as this Christmas, we opened the home to a
selection of sailors new in the Navy and their first Christmas away
from home. One of the local ships is sending 8 sailors (and 2 wives)
and they had the general list of a menu when they selected here so the
ham isn't a religious issue or the alternatives solve that).

Fresh ham (if can find it) or a spiral cured
Whole Duck
Stuffed Pan fried trout
mashed potatoes
Rice balls with seasoning
steamed baby bok choy
steamed brussell sprouts
Sauteed green beans in butter
dashi tofu miso soup with green onion
chicken dumpling soup with fresh peas
honey glazed roasted carrots
fresh breads made here

I'm now adding some other neighbors who are widowed/widowers or elder
couples who want to be with the young sailors.

Some years we don't do a Xmas meal outside the family. This year, we
are doing one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2018 4:41 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 17:55:05 -0500, wrote:
>>
>>> This morning I stopped in the market in town and ordered a butt half
>>> fresh ham... they had smoked/cured hams on sale for 89¢/lb but just
>>> didn't feel like going cheapo with salty pork again. I'll be
>>> picking it up on Saturday, 22nd. Fresh ham is the King of all
>>> roasts.

>> TIAD. I don't think you've had ham since they used salt to preserve
>> it, and before refrigeration.
>>
>> Fresh ham is the cheapest piece of pig you can buy and makes the
>> worst roast. That's ahy 99.8% of them are cured and smoked. The
>> best fresh roast of pork is a pork butt (from the shoulder).
>>
>> -sw

> Actually, I am with Sheldon on this one if we have the same cut. It's
> the same one used to make ham (leg bone and all). I like cured ham too.
>
> I'm trying to find one as this Christmas, we opened the home to a
> selection of sailors new in the Navy and their first Christmas away
> from home. One of the local ships is sending 8 sailors (and 2 wives)
> and they had the general list of a menu when they selected here so the
> ham isn't a religious issue or the alternatives solve that).
>
> Fresh ham (if can find it) or a spiral cured
> Whole Duck
> Stuffed Pan fried trout
> mashed potatoes
> Rice balls with seasoning
> steamed baby bok choy
> steamed brussell sprouts
> Sauteed green beans in butter
> dashi tofu miso soup with green onion
> chicken dumpling soup with fresh peas
> honey glazed roasted carrots
> fresh breads made here
>
> I'm now adding some other neighbors who are widowed/widowers or elder
> couples who want to be with the young sailors.
>
> Some years we don't do a Xmas meal outside the family. This year, we
> are doing one.

Â* Back when NAS Millington was a training base we used to invite a
couple of sailors to the house for Thanksgiving dinner ... because I
remember what it was like to be away from home and family on those
special days . I think it was a program of the USO or something .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 16:41:10 -0600, cshenk wrote:

> Actually, I am with Sheldon on this one

That's not surprising considering you both gravitate towards the
same "style" of food.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Dec 2018, Sqwertz wrote
(in article >):

https://i.postimg.cc/zGrbrCkJ/IMG-20181218-145645.jpg

> Maybe I'll even go back Thursday morning and see if they have it
> marked down to $1/lb.
>
> -sw

The problem we have in the UK with those vac packed hams, is that the meat is
impregnated with various chemicals (not just salt) in order for it to soak up
as much water as possible. Therefore its weight will increase and a certain
percentage of what we pay for is simply water.

This puts me off buying anything in those vacuum packs. In fact, I now only
buy meat from an organic farmer who uses overnight delivery. His meats arrive
in butchers paper, but with a couple of dry ice coolpacks and insulated
inside a cardboard box with rough lambswool.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Fruitiest of Fruitcakes" wrote in message
news.com...

On 19 Dec 2018, Sqwertz wrote
(in article >):

> On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 11:29:41 -0500, wrote:
>
> > Most hams are cured because fresh ham has a very short shelf life
> > unless frozen and freezing makes ham dry and tough.
> > Also a fresh ham is a large piece of meat that most people simply
> > don't buy because even half a ham is too much or they haven't a clue
> > how to prepare it. I always need to special order fresh ham, it's
> > rare to see it out in the meat case. They come in cryovaced and once
> > prepared for sale they are only good for 3-4 days.

> 3-4 days, baloney! They last as long as any other uncured piece of
> pig. A cryovac leg of ham will last at least 14 days. And they're
> not uncommon. Here's a 20-pounder packaged on Dec 6th and Sell By
> Dec 20th.

https://i.postimg.cc/zGrbrCkJ/IMG-20181218-145645.jpg

> Maybe I'll even go back Thursday morning and see if they have it
> marked down to $1/lb.
>
> -sw

The problem we have in the UK with those vac packed hams, is that the meat
is
impregnated with various chemicals (not just salt) in order for it to soak
up
as much water as possible. Therefore its weight will increase and a certain
percentage of what we pay for is simply water.

This puts me off buying anything in those vacuum packs. In fact, I now only
buy meat from an organic farmer who uses overnight delivery. His meats
arrive
in butchers paper, but with a couple of dry ice coolpacks and insulated
inside a cardboard box with rough lambswool.

==

I always buy a big chunk of gammon and cook it. I then slice it up and pack
in small quantities for the freezer. I am not paying good money for the
chemicals in those vacuum packs!

I do it with various other meats too. D. prefers it but it doesn't stop him
liking spam. And no, I won't be trying to make my own <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 Sqwertz wrote:
>On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 penmart01 wrote:
>
>> Most hams are cured because fresh ham has a very short shelf life
>> unless frozen and freezing makes ham dry and tough.
>> Also a fresh ham is a large piece of meat that most people simply
>> don't buy because even half a ham is too much or they haven't a clue
>> how to prepare it. I always need to special order fresh ham, it's
>> rare to see it out in the meat case. They come in cryovaced and once
>> prepared for sale they are only good for 3-4 days.

>3-4 days, baloney! They last as long as any other uncured piece of
>pig. A cryovac leg of ham will last at least 14 days. And they're
>not uncommon. Here's a 20-pounder packaged on Dec 6th and Sell By
>Dec 20th.
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/zGrbrCkJ/IMG-20181218-145645.jpg
>
>Maybe I'll even go back Thursday morning and see if they have it
>marked down to $1/lb.
>
>-sw

That's still in cryovac... only good for someone wanting the whole ham
as packaged... once removed from cryovac and trimmed for sale fresh
ham is only good for up to four days... same as any other cut of fresh
pork. They'll put out rib roasts and chops because they will sell
within a day or two. They put out boneless pork loins whole in
cryovac. However fresh ham needs to be special ordered, it won't be
removed from the cryovac and trimmed for sale until the day ordered...
I was placed on the list for Saturday pick-up about noon. I couldnt
be told a price as they hadn't arrived yet, I'm guessing ~$2.49/lb.

This week cured ham is on sale, shank half 66¢/lb, butt half 88¢/lb.
spiral cut $1.49/lb. Lately I've been buying cured ham for holiday
meals but I've tired of it and my wife won't help me eat it, she hates
ham in any form... in Belize her father raised pigs and chickens. It
was her job to clean the chickens, her father killed the chickens...
her father dispatched the pigs.

Obviously the dwarf knows nothing about fresh ham, he's never cooked
or eaten it... and he failed Reading Comprehension.
Stick to your pulled pork butt and 79¢/lb tube steak. I'll bet the
dwarf's x-mas dinner will be vienna sausage with cheap store brand
vinegar pickles.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Dec 2018, Ophelia wrote
(in article >):

> "Fruitiest of Fruitcakes" wrote in message
> news.com...
>
> On 19 Dec 2018, Sqwertz wrote
> (in article >):
>
> > On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 11:29:41 -0500, wrote:
> >
> > > Most hams are cured because fresh ham has a very short shelf life
> > > unless frozen and freezing makes ham dry and tough.
> > > Also a fresh ham is a large piece of meat that most people simply
> > > don't buy because even half a ham is too much or they haven't a clue
> > > how to prepare it. I always need to special order fresh ham, it's
> > > rare to see it out in the meat case. They come in cryovaced and once
> > > prepared for sale they are only good for 3-4 days.

> > 3-4 days, baloney! They last as long as any other uncured piece of
> > pig. A cryovac leg of ham will last at least 14 days. And they're
> > not uncommon. Here's a 20-pounder packaged on Dec 6th and Sell By
> > Dec 20th.

https://i.postimg.cc/zGrbrCkJ/IMG-20181218-145645.jpg

> > Maybe I'll even go back Thursday morning and see if they have it
> > marked down to $1/lb.
> >
> > -sw

> The problem we have in the UK with those vac packed hams, is that the meat
> is
> impregnated with various chemicals (not just salt) in order for it to soak
> up
> as much water as possible. Therefore its weight will increase and a certain
> percentage of what we pay for is simply water.
>
> This puts me off buying anything in those vacuum packs. In fact, I now only
> buy meat from an organic farmer who uses overnight delivery. His meats
> arrive
> in butchers paper, but with a couple of dry ice coolpacks and insulated
> inside a cardboard box with rough lambswool.
>
> ==
>
> I always buy a big chunk of gammon and cook it. I then slice it up and pack
> in small quantities for the freezer.

I tend to do that with joints of other meat. I buy the largest cuts of boned
shoulder of pork and lamb I can find, plus a big rolled flank of beef and
then just do as you do. Slice them up and freeze them.

When there are only two of you, you dont need to cook a great deal of meat
at once.

I can usually cut most roasting joints into 4 or 5 pieces, which lasts us for
weeks.

The farm also sell half chickens, which is enough for us over a weekend and
any left over gets curried the next day.

> I am not paying good money for the
> chemicals in those vacuum packs!
>
> I do it with various other meats too. D. prefers it but it doesn't stop him
> liking spam. And no, I won't be trying to make my own<g>

Yes, it is strange. I make all the fuss over organic meat and then buy cans
of spam and corned beef because I like them fried.

At Christmas I tend to roast ham on 24th and turkey on 25th. The left over
ham, and some of the turkey, is cubed up and cooked in turkey stock, then I
make pastry and put the meat into various sized pies and freeze those for
eating later in the new year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Fruitiest of Fruitcakes" wrote in message
news.com...

> The problem we have in the UK with those vac packed hams, is that the meat
> is
> impregnated with various chemicals (not just salt) in order for it to soak
> up
> as much water as possible. Therefore its weight will increase and a
> certain
> percentage of what we pay for is simply water.
>
> This puts me off buying anything in those vacuum packs. In fact, I now
> only
> buy meat from an organic farmer who uses overnight delivery. His meats
> arrive
> in butchers paper, but with a couple of dry ice coolpacks and insulated
> inside a cardboard box with rough lambswool.
>
> ==
>
> I always buy a big chunk of gammon and cook it. I then slice it up and
> pack
> in small quantities for the freezer.

I tend to do that with joints of other meat. I buy the largest cuts of boned
shoulder of pork and lamb I can find, plus a big rolled flank of beef and
then just do as you do. Slice them up and freeze them.

When there are only two of you, you dont need to cook a great deal of meat
at once.

Same here ) But I am usually cooking two different meals LOL

I can usually cut most roasting joints into 4 or 5 pieces, which lasts us
for
weeks.

The farm also sell half chickens, which is enough for us over a weekend and
any left over gets curried the next day.

> I am not paying good money for the
> chemicals in those vacuum packs!
>
> I do it with various other meats too. D. prefers it but it doesn't stop
> him
> liking spam. And no, I won't be trying to make my own<g>

Yes, it is strange. I make all the fuss over organic meat and then buy cans
of spam and corned beef because I like them fried.

I made him a Corned Beef hash today. Not sure about tomorrow, it
depends what he fancies!

At Christmas I tend to roast ham on 24th and turkey on 25th. The left over
ham, and some of the turkey, is cubed up and cooked in turkey stock, then I
make pastry and put the meat into various sized pies and freeze those for
eating later in the new year.

Aye For Christmas he has asked for turkey breasts. He will
rotisserie the chicken. It is the only cooking he does so I let him get on
with it I don't like turkey much. So I get chicken and of course I do
all the usual sides

It is odd how we have different tastes. Not that it matters, I enjoy
cooking anything he likes anyway <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 7:06:59 AM UTC-10, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:
> On 19 Dec 2018, Ophelia wrote
> (in article >):
>

> > "Fruitiest of Fruitcakes" wrote in message
> > news.com...
> >
> > On 19 Dec 2018, Sqwertz wrote
> > (in article >):

> > > 3-4 days, baloney! They last as long as any other uncured piece of
> > > pig. A cryovac leg of ham will last at least 14 days. And they're
> > > not uncommon. Here's a 20-pounder packaged on Dec 6th and Sell By
> > > Dec 20th.

https://i.postimg.cc/zGrbrCkJ/IMG-20181218-145645.jpg

> > > Maybe I'll even go back Thursday morning and see if they have it
> > > marked down to $1/lb.
> > >
> > > -sw

> > The problem we have in the UK with those vac packed hams, is that the meat
> > is
> > impregnated with various chemicals (not just salt) in order for it to soak
> > up
> > as much water as possible. Therefore its weight will increase and a certain
> > percentage of what we pay for is simply water.
> >
> > This puts me off buying anything in those vacuum packs. In fact, I now only
> > buy meat from an organic farmer who uses overnight delivery. His meats
> > arrive
> > in butchers paper, but with a couple of dry ice coolpacks and insulated
> > inside a cardboard box with rough lambswool.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I always buy a big chunk of gammon and cook it. I then slice it up and pack
> > in small quantities for the freezer.

> I tend to do that with joints of other meat. I buy the largest cuts of boned
> shoulder of pork and lamb I can find, plus a big rolled flank of beef and
> then just do as you do. Slice them up and freeze them.
>
> When there are only two of you, you dont need to cook a great deal of meat
> at once.
>
> I can usually cut most roasting joints into 4 or 5 pieces, which lasts us for
> weeks.
>
> The farm also sell half chickens, which is enough for us over a weekend and
> any left over gets curried the next day.
>
> > I am not paying good money for the
> > chemicals in those vacuum packs!
> >
> > I do it with various other meats too. D. prefers it but it doesn't stop him
> > liking spam. And no, I won't be trying to make my own<g>

> Yes, it is strange. I make all the fuss over organic meat and then buy cans
> of spam and corned beef because I like them fried.
>
> At Christmas I tend to roast ham on 24th and turkey on 25th. The left over
> ham, and some of the turkey, is cubed up and cooked in turkey stock, then I
> make pastry and put the meat into various sized pies and freeze those for
> eating later in the new year.

"Organic" seems strange when referring to meat. I guess canned meat is kind of a strange idea to a lot of Americans but if you grew up where there was a shortage of fresh meat or lack of refrigeration, that's not the case.

OTOH, I cooked up some "beef of the future" tonight. Grass fed beef. Boy that stuff is kinda rank. I made some Filipino style beef adobo and that's still not enough to make that stuff unfunky! That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Fruitcakes wrote:
> [...]

> Yes, it is strange. I make all the fuss over organic meat and then buy
> cans
> of spam and corned beef because I like them fried.
>
> At Christmas I tend to roast ham on 24th and turkey on 25th. The left over
> ham, and some of the turkey, is cubed up and cooked in turkey stock, then
> make pastry and put the meat into various sized pies and freeze those for
> eating later in the new year.

"Organic" seems strange when referring to meat. I guess canned meat is kind
of a strange idea to a lot of Americans but if you grew up where there was a
shortage of fresh meat or lack of refrigeration, that's not the case.

OTOH, I cooked up some "beef of the future" tonight. Grass fed beef. Boy
that stuff is kinda rank. I made some Filipino style beef adobo and that's
still not enough to make that stuff unfunky! That's the breaks.

=

Oh dear Were you able to eat it??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:

> On 12/17/2018 4:41 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> > > TIAD. I don't think you've had ham since they used salt to
> > > preserve it, and before refrigeration.
> > >
> > > Fresh ham is the cheapest piece of pig you can buy and makes the
> > > worst roast. That's ahy 99.8% of them are cured and smoked. The
> > > best fresh roast of pork is a pork butt (from the shoulder).
> > >
> > > -sw

> > Actually, I am with Sheldon on this one if we have the same cut.
> > It's the same one used to make ham (leg bone and all). I like
> > cured ham too.
> >
> > I'm trying to find one as this Christmas, we opened the home to a
> > selection of sailors new in the Navy and their first Christmas away
> > from home. One of the local ships is sending 8 sailors (and 2
> > wives) and they had the general list of a menu when they selected
> > here so the ham isn't a religious issue or the alternatives solve
> > that).
> >
> > Fresh ham (if can find it) or a spiral cured
> > Whole Duck
> > Stuffed Pan fried trout
> > mashed potatoes
> > Rice balls with seasoning
> > steamed baby bok choy
> > steamed brussell sprouts
> > Sauteed green beans in butter
> > dashi tofu miso soup with green onion
> > chicken dumpling soup with fresh peas
> > honey glazed roasted carrots
> > fresh breads made here
> >
> > I'm now adding some other neighbors who are widowed/widowers or
> > elder couples who want to be with the young sailors.
> >
> > Some years we don't do a Xmas meal outside the family. This year, we
> > are doing one.
> >

> Â* Back when NAS Millington was a training base we used to invite a
> couple of sailors to the house for Thanksgiving dinner ... because I
> remember what it was like to be away from home and family on those
> special days . I think it was a program of the USO or something .

Funny you mention Millington. Thats where the NETC folks I work for
are. Been there twice on work trips and another may be soon.

Anyways, found my fresh ham.

Pulled off the Dashi soup (one has some issues with shellfish and maybe
MSG so best to omit what might make him nervous). I have instead a
festive looking Xmas soup made with different colored beans in a
vegetable broth plus bright peas. You heat bits and assemble at
serving time so the colors stay pure. Works nicely as one of the
guests is pretty much vegetarian.

The last step was to get 5 gifts (3 of us and 2 of my neighbors who
needed help there). Simple fun exchange and gifts limited to max 5$
(can be less). Funny things. I got 2 bath toys (a wind up boat that
scoots across the tub and a rubber duckie in a sailor suit). A little
hand held game, and 2 PEZ dispensors with candy fills.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 16:41:10 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>
> > Actually, I am with Sheldon on this one

> That's not surprising considering you both gravitate towards the
> same "style" of food.
>
> -sw

??? Ours is extremely opposite. Mine is very Asian compared to
average folks here. Sheldon is a bland upper NY state cuisine.

I'd say if I gravitate a direction, it is with DS1.

Dinner tonight is well in our normal set. It's gold sauce curried
chicken leftovers (a medium gold curry blend) with fried rice and beans
folded into home made flatbread (last of the flat bread). For soup,
dashi miso soup with so many brocolli leaves (asian, not flowers) that
it is near a stew.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> wrote in message ...
>
> This morning I stopped in the market in town and ordered a butt half
> fresh ham... they had smoked/cured hams on sale for 89¢/lb but just
> didn't feel like going cheapo with salty pork again. I'll be picking
> it up on Saturday, 22nd. Fresh ham is the King of all roasts.
>
> ==
>
> Are you saying your 'pig ass' is pig butt??
>
> I learned here that is what you call the shoulder!

No, I think she means the leg portion closer to the pigs's actual piggy
tail.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 12:04:24 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Oh dear Were you able to eat it??

No, not really. I did have some smoked pork belly this afternoon.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...c8ZpYQNyBFjN4I

We were in Kailua today. It was my old hometown. These days, it's a tourist town. That's not good for the residents but at least it's got some pretty good restaurants. We had some lunch at a new Roy Yamaguchi restaurant, "Goen." Next door to that restaurant was a new restaurant that was going to open up. Our friend was there with a group of new staff discussing how the opening was going to go down. We invited him to lunch with us. I had some spicy tuna rolls.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...5nK5xaOV7RybmB

I spotted this at a drugstore checkout today. I just thought you'd like to know.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...hni2SRKZzy31z4
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 dsi1 wrote:
>On Thursday, December 20, 2018 Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Oh dear Were you able to eat it??

>No, not really. I did have some smoked pork belly this afternoon.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...c8ZpYQNyBFjN4I

Looks like well used bovine vagina... living in dairy farm country I
know... however I generally check out large udders and big teats.

>We were in Kailua today. It was my old hometown. These days, it's a tourist town. That's not good for the residents but at least it's got some pretty good restaurants. We had some lunch at a new Roy Yamaguchi restaurant, "Goen." Next door to that restaurant was a new restaurant that was going to open up. Our friend was there with a group of new staff discussing how the opening was going to go down. We invited him to lunch with us. I had some spicy tuna rolls.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...5nK5xaOV7RybmB

All I can make out is a blob of rice as a base, and not even certain
it's rice.

>I spotted this at a drugstore checkout today. I just thought you'd like to know.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...hni2SRKZzy31z4

Wasn't worth waiting for it to load... Amazon pics is crap... takes
forever to load and then it's fuzzy.
This is far better: https://postimages.org/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 5:47:23 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 dsi1 wrote:
> >On Thursday, December 20, 2018 Ophelia wrote:
> >>
> >> Oh dear Were you able to eat it??

> >No, not really. I did have some smoked pork belly this afternoon.
> >
> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...c8ZpYQNyBFjN4I

> Looks like well used bovine vagina... living in dairy farm country I
> know... however I generally check out large udders and big teats.
>
> >We were in Kailua today. It was my old hometown. These days, it's a tourist town. That's not good for the residents but at least it's got some pretty good restaurants. We had some lunch at a new Roy Yamaguchi restaurant, "Goen." Next door to that restaurant was a new restaurant that was going to open up. Our friend was there with a group of new staff discussing how the opening was going to go down. We invited him to lunch with us. I had some spicy tuna rolls.
> >
> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...5nK5xaOV7RybmB

> All I can make out is a blob of rice as a base, and not even certain
> it's rice.
>
> >I spotted this at a drugstore checkout today. I just thought you'd like to know.
> >
> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...hni2SRKZzy31z4

> Wasn't worth waiting for it to load... Amazon pics is crap... takes
> forever to load and then it's fuzzy.
> This is far better: https://postimages.org/

Mostly, it's a problem with your computer/monitor/modem. Make sure your telephone line is plugged into the wall jack. Did you remember to pay your phone bill? Have your cats been chewing on your telephone line? Is your monitor plugged in? Have you cleaned the semen off your monitor screen? Do you have seamen living in your house? Get rid of them. Do you have your monitor facing the correct way i.e., in the general direction of your eyeballs? Are you using a monitor built in the 70's? Are you off-your-ass drunk? Thanks for trying to load up my photos - sorry you were not successful. Please try again. Mahalo!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 16:41:10 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>
> > Actually, I am with Sheldon on this one

> That's not surprising considering you both gravitate towards the
> same "style" of food.
>
> -sw

??? Ours is extremely opposite. Mine is very Asian compared to
average folks here. Sheldon is a bland upper NY state cuisine.

I'd say if I gravitate a direction, it is with DS1.

Yes so are we! Dsi1 had dragged us in that direction and we
love it)

Dinner tonight is well in our normal set. It's gold sauce curried
chicken leftovers (a medium gold curry blend) with fried rice and beans
folded into home made flatbread (last of the flat bread). For soup,
dashi miso soup with so many brocolli leaves (asian, not flowers) that
it is near a stew.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 12:04:24 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Oh dear Were you able to eat it??

No, not really. I did have some smoked pork belly this afternoon.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...c8ZpYQNyBFjN4I

We were in Kailua today. It was my old hometown. These days, it's a tourist
town. That's not good for the residents but at least it's got some pretty
good restaurants. We had some lunch at a new Roy Yamaguchi restaurant,
"Goen." Next door to that restaurant was a new restaurant that was going to
open up. Our friend was there with a group of new staff discussing how the
opening was going to go down. We invited him to lunch with us. I had some
spicy tuna rolls.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...5nK5xaOV7RybmB

That looks lovely and I was about to ask you about it until I read
'spicy'

I spotted this at a drugstore checkout today. I just thought you'd like to
know.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...hni2SRKZzy31z4

Heh that is news to me))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 1:34:19 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 5:47:23 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> > >No, not really. I did have some smoked pork belly this afternoon.
> > >
> > >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...c8ZpYQNyBFjN4I

> > Looks like well used bovine vagina... living in dairy farm country I
> > know... however I generally check out large udders and big teats.
> >
> > >We were in Kailua today. It was my old hometown. These days, it's a tourist town. That's not good for the residents but at least it's got some pretty good restaurants. We had some lunch at a new Roy Yamaguchi restaurant, "Goen." Next door to that restaurant was a new restaurant that was going to open up. Our friend was there with a group of new staff discussing how the opening was going to go down. We invited him to lunch with us. I had some spicy tuna rolls.
> > >
> > >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...5nK5xaOV7RybmB

> > All I can make out is a blob of rice as a base, and not even certain
> > it's rice.
> >
> > >I spotted this at a drugstore checkout today. I just thought you'd like to know.
> > >
> > >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...hni2SRKZzy31z4

> > Wasn't worth waiting for it to load... Amazon pics is crap... takes
> > forever to load and then it's fuzzy.
> > This is far better: https://postimages.org/

> Mostly, it's a problem with your computer/monitor/modem. Make sure your telephone line is plugged into the wall jack. Did you remember to pay your phone bill? Have your cats been chewing on your telephone line? Is your monitor plugged in? Have you cleaned the semen off your monitor screen? Do you have seamen living in your house? Get rid of them. Do you have your monitor facing the correct way i.e., in the general direction of your eyeballs? Are you using a monitor built in the 70's? Are you off-your-ass drunk? Thanks for trying to load up my photos - sorry you were not successful. Please try again. Mahalo!

I liked your photos. Sheldon's problem is that his knowledge of and
appreciation for Asian cuisine is miniscule compared to his ego.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 12:39:58 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 12:04:24 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > Oh dear Were you able to eat it??

> No, not really. I did have some smoked pork belly this afternoon.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...c8ZpYQNyBFjN4I
>
> We were in Kailua today. It was my old hometown. These days, it's a tourist
> town. That's not good for the residents but at least it's got some pretty
> good restaurants. We had some lunch at a new Roy Yamaguchi restaurant,
> "Goen." Next door to that restaurant was a new restaurant that was going to
> open up. Our friend was there with a group of new staff discussing how the
> opening was going to go down. We invited him to lunch with us. I had some
> spicy tuna rolls.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...5nK5xaOV7RybmB
>

> That looks lovely and I was about to ask you about it until I read
> 'spicy'

Spicy tuna is the most popular sushi on this rock. It's ahi with a mayo, Sriracha, sesame oil, sauce. My daughter didn't care much for the one I had because it had a sauce of shoyu and uni - sea urchin. I really couldn't taste the sea urchin so maybe my taste is going bonkers again.

> I spotted this at a drugstore checkout today. I just thought you'd like to
> know.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...hni2SRKZzy31z4
>

> Heh that is news to me))

I must have time slipped and spotted that cover sometime in the future. Hee hee.

My daughter and I went to a Lion's Club dinner and there were these cute little critters served. It had a pork sausage buried within its little body. They was adorable.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...vQbfITvQqqssnG

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 1:35:37 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 1:34:19 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> > > Looks like well used bovine vagina... living in dairy farm country I
> > > know... however I generally check out large udders and big teats.

> > > All I can make out is a blob of rice as a base, and not even certain
> > > it's rice.

> > > Wasn't worth waiting for it to load... Amazon pics is crap... takes
> > > forever to load and then it's fuzzy.
> > > This is far better: https://postimages.org/

> > Mostly, it's a problem with your computer/monitor/modem. Make sure your telephone line is plugged into the wall jack. Did you remember to pay your phone bill? Have your cats been chewing on your telephone line? Is your monitor plugged in? Have you cleaned the semen off your monitor screen? Do you have seamen living in your house? Get rid of them. Do you have your monitor facing the correct way i.e., in the general direction of your eyeballs? Are you using a monitor built in the 70's? Are you off-your-ass drunk? Thanks for trying to load up my photos - sorry you were not successful. Please try again. Mahalo!

> I liked your photos. Sheldon's problem is that his knowledge of and
> appreciation for Asian cuisine is miniscule compared to his ego.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Here's a photo you might like. We had it yesterday during the Winter Solstice lunch. Boy, beets are sure tasty. I like canned beets but fresh is awesome. Unfortunately, the one I saw in the store looked small, sad, and lonely..

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...XAsZzxwJM31ZQb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 12:39:58 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 16:41:10 -0600, cshenk wrote:
> >
> > > Actually, I am with Sheldon on this one

> > That's not surprising considering you both gravitate towards the
> > same "style" of food.
> >
> > -sw

> ??? Ours is extremely opposite. Mine is very Asian compared to
> average folks here. Sheldon is a bland upper NY state cuisine.
>
> I'd say if I gravitate a direction, it is with DS1.
>
> Yes so are we! Dsi1 had dragged us in that direction and we
> love it)
>
> Dinner tonight is well in our normal set. It's gold sauce curried
> chicken leftovers (a medium gold curry blend) with fried rice and beans
> folded into home made flatbread (last of the flat bread). For soup,
> dashi miso soup with so many brocolli leaves (asian, not flowers) that
> it is near a stew.

That's totally awesome. It's a meal made with care and love. It's a lucky person that gets to eat this way by a person who makes a meal that way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 12:39:58 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 12:04:24 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > Oh dear Were you able to eat it??

> No, not really. I did have some smoked pork belly this afternoon.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...c8ZpYQNyBFjN4I
>
> We were in Kailua today. It was my old hometown. These days, it's a
> tourist
> town. That's not good for the residents but at least it's got some pretty
> good restaurants. We had some lunch at a new Roy Yamaguchi restaurant,
> "Goen." Next door to that restaurant was a new restaurant that was going
> open up. Our friend was there with a group of new staff discussing how the
> opening was going to go down. We invited him to lunch with us. I had some
> spicy tuna rolls.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...5nK5xaOV7RybmB
>

> That looks lovely and I was about to ask you about it until I
> read
> 'spicy'

Spicy tuna is the most popular sushi on this rock. It's ahi with a mayo,
Sriracha, sesame oil, sauce. My daughter didn't care much for the one I had
because it had a sauce of shoyu and uni - sea urchin. I really couldn't
taste the sea urchin so maybe my taste is going bonkers again.

> I spotted this at a drugstore checkout today. I just thought you'd like to
> know.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...hni2SRKZzy31z4
>

> Heh that is news to me))

I must have time slipped and spotted that cover sometime in the future. Hee
hee.

My daughter and I went to a Lion's Club dinner and there were these cute
little critters served. It had a pork sausage buried within its little body.
They was adorable.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...vQbfITvQqqssnG
==

Ewwwww that would put me right off LOL. I am not the most enthusiastic
eater in the word that that would end it for me <g>

D. has asked for his favourite sushi for tomorrow. He doesn't want a Sunday
dinner because we will be having Christmas dinner on Tuesday

So, it will be sushi with prawns and crabsticks with my musubi sauce)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

Here's a photo you might like. We had it yesterday during the Winter
Solstice lunch. Boy, beets are sure tasty. I like canned beets but fresh is
awesome. Unfortunately, the one I saw in the store looked small, sad, and
lonely.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...XAsZzxwJM31ZQb
===

I bought a bunch of beetroots to cook over the holiday but I haven't cooked
them yet)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 22:34:15 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 5:47:23 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

>> >No, not really. I did have some smoked pork belly this afternoon.
>> >
>> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...c8ZpYQNyBFjN4I

>> Looks like well used bovine vagina... living in dairy farm country I
>> know... however I generally check out large udders and big teats.
>>
>> >We were in Kailua today. It was my old hometown. These days, it's a tourist town. That's not good for the residents but at least it's got some pretty good restaurants. We had some lunch at a new Roy Yamaguchi restaurant, "Goen." Next door to that restaurant was a new restaurant that was going to open up. Our friend was there with a group of new staff discussing how the opening was going to go down. We invited him to lunch with us. I had some spicy tuna rolls.
>> >
>> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...5nK5xaOV7RybmB

>> All I can make out is a blob of rice as a base, and not even certain
>> it's rice.
>>
>> >I spotted this at a drugstore checkout today. I just thought you'd like to know.
>> >
>> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...hni2SRKZzy31z4

>> Wasn't worth waiting for it to load... Amazon pics is crap... takes
>> forever to load and then it's fuzzy.
>> This is far better: https://postimages.org/

>Mostly, it's a problem with your computer/monitor/modem. Make sure your telephone line is plugged into the wall jack. Did you remember to pay your phone bill? Have your cats been chewing on your telephone line? Is your monitor plugged in? Have you cleaned the semen off your monitor screen? Do you have seamen living in your house? Get rid of them. Do you have your monitor facing the correct way i.e., in the general direction of your eyeballs? Are you using a monitor built in the 70's? Are you off-your-ass drunk? Thanks for trying to load up my photos - sorry you were not successful. Please try again. Mahalo!

My computer works fine and has nothing to do with my phone line, we're
not on dial up and we don't use wifi or a modem, we are hard wired
directly to Verizon... very easy to run wire to each room with a
basement! The only wifi here is my wife's smart phone and her tablet,
but I use a land line with no problems, I don't use as cell phone, I
don't need anyone tracking my whereabouts. I tried Amazon photos,
it's very slow and gives few options... postimages is super fast and
allows for much editing... try it, and it's free. I've tried several
sites for pics but this is the best I've used... I used to use tinypic
but something changed and now they suck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 5:47:23 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

>> >No, not really. I did have some smoked pork belly this afternoon.
>> >
>> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...c8ZpYQNyBFjN4I

>> Looks like well used bovine vagina... living in dairy farm country I
>> know... however I generally check out large udders and big teats.
>>
>> >We were in Kailua today. It was my old hometown. These days, it's a
>> >tourist town. That's not good for the residents but at least it's got
>> >some pretty good restaurants. We had some lunch at a new Roy Yamaguchi
>> >restaurant, "Goen." Next door to that restaurant was a new restaurant
>> >that was going to open up. Our friend was there with a group of new
>> >staff discussing how the opening was going to go down. We invited him to
>> >lunch with us. I had some spicy tuna rolls.
>> >
>> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...5nK5xaOV7RybmB

>> All I can make out is a blob of rice as a base, and not even certain
>> it's rice.
>>
>> >I spotted this at a drugstore checkout today. I just thought you'd like
>> >to know.
>> >
>> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...hni2SRKZzy31z4

>> Wasn't worth waiting for it to load... Amazon pics is crap... takes
>> forever to load and then it's fuzzy.
>> This is far better: https://postimages.org/

>Mostly, it's a problem with your computer/monitor/modem. Make sure your
>telephone line is plugged into the wall jack. Did you remember to pay your
>phone bill? Have your cats been chewing on your telephone line? Is your
>monitor plugged in? Have you cleaned the semen off your monitor screen? Do
>you have seamen living in your house? Get rid of them. Do you have your
>monitor facing the correct way i.e., in the general direction of your
>eyeballs? Are you using a monitor built in the 70's? Are you off-your-ass
>drunk? Thanks for trying to load up my photos - sorry you were not
>successful. Please try again. Mahalo!

My computer works fine and has nothing to do with my phone line, we're
not on dial up and we don't use wifi or a modem, we are hard wired
directly to Verizon... very easy to run wire to each room with a
basement! The only wifi here is my wife's smart phone and her tablet,
but I use a land line with no problems, I don't use as cell phone, I
don't need anyone tracking my whereabouts. I tried Amazon photos,
it's very slow and gives few options... postimages is super fast and
allows for much editing... try it, and it's free. I've tried several
sites for pics but this is the best I've used... I used to use tinypic
but something changed and now they suck.

--

Then why are others able to see pics clearly when you can't?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-22 3:29 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

> Here's a photo you might like. We had it yesterday during the Winter
> Solstice lunch. Boy, beets are sure tasty. I like canned beets but
> fresh is awesome. Unfortunately, the one I saw in the store looked
> small, sad, and lonely.

I was surprised to see beets as part of the vegetable medley with the
entree at my nephew's wedding back in September. They were delicious,
much better than I remember beets being.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OP wrote:
Yes so are we! Dsi1 had dragged us in that direction and
we love it)

--------
Hehehe it's easy. I can't say as we have any classic style here other
than our main influances that predominate come from several countries.
In some places it's called 'fusion cooking' meaning I fuse bitsd of one
culture to another to something that may be new, or at least 'a wee bit
different'.

I may have the ordr wrong but I thin folks will agree I generally fall
in with:

Southern USA, tend to creole and Tex mex in places
Asian, Japanese, Korean
Hawaii (gets it's own group due to fusion)
Middle Eastern, curries and lamb (Add curry from Carribean sp?)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 12:39:58 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> > > That's not surprising considering you both gravitate towards the
> > > same "style" of food.
> > >
> > > -sw

> > ??? Ours is extremely opposite. Mine is very Asian compared to
> > average folks here. Sheldon is a bland upper NY state cuisine.
> >
> > I'd say if I gravitate a direction, it is with DS1.

OP note

Yes so are we! Dsi1 had dragged us in that direction
and we love it)

Carol note
> > Dinner tonight is well in our normal set. It's gold sauce curried
> > chicken leftovers (a medium gold curry blend) with fried rice and
> > beans folded into home made flatbread (last of the flat bread). For
> > soup, dashi miso soup with so many brocolli leaves (asian, not
> > flowers) that it is near a stew.

> That's totally awesome. It's a meal made with care and love. It's a
> lucky person that gets to eat this way by a person who makes a meal
> that way.

Grin, all is good. I can't believe Steve thought I cooked like
Sheldon.
The only real relation there is we like fresh ham (same cut as
preserved hams are made from). Ours for the Xmas meal with guests is
now studded with whole anise stars in the interior and cloves at the
outside.

The duck is still defrosting but will have a soy miso orange glaze.

So far sounds pretty basic USA but the sides are not and we are adding
in Cindy's Indonesian sauce to go with the Kholrabi (a German cabbage
family item).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OP wrote:
Yes so are we! Dsi1 had dragged us in that direction and
we love it)

--------
Hehehe it's easy. I can't say as we have any classic style here other
than our main influances that predominate come from several countries.
In some places it's called 'fusion cooking' meaning I fuse bitsd of one
culture to another to something that may be new, or at least 'a wee bit
different'.

I may have the ordr wrong but I thin folks will agree I generally fall
in with:

Southern USA, tend to creole and Tex mex in places
Asian, Japanese, Korean
Hawaii (gets it's own group due to fusion)
Middle Eastern, curries and lamb (Add curry from Carribean sp?)

==

I am with you except for anything spicy <g>