Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pig Ass

"Sanne" wrote in message

Am Montag, 24. Dezember 2018 10:47:59 UTC+1 schrieb Ophelia:
> "Sanne" wrote in message
>
> Am Sonntag, 23. Dezember 2018 14:46:19 UTC+1 schrieb Ophelia:
> > "S Viemeister" wrote in message
> >
> > On 12/23/2018 4:31 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> > >
> > > I'll have to be on the lookout for this kholrabi. It looks like it can
> > > be
> > > easily be made into a salad. Thanks.
> > >

> > It will be easier to find if you spell it 'kohlrabi'.
> > It's easy to grow, and comes in different colours.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Does it taste like anything I am likely to know?

> Cooked radish tastes surprisingly similar but doesn't turn into mush that
> easily.
>
> Bye, Sanne.
>
> ==
>
> Radish?? Oh heck, D. won't like that

Don't tell him...
Cooked radish isn't hot at all.

Bye, Sanne.

==

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 10:42:36 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 09:47:49 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Sanne" wrote in message
>>
>>Am Sonntag, 23. Dezember 2018 14:46:19 UTC+1 schrieb Ophelia:

>>> It will be easier to find if you spell it 'kohlrabi'.
>>> It's easy to grow, and comes in different colours.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Does it taste like anything I am likely to know?

>>Cooked radish tastes surprisingly similar but doesn't turn into mush that
>>easily.
>>
>>Bye, Sanne.
>>
>>==
>>
>>Radish?? Oh heck, D. won't like that

>But raw radish is hot for the faint-hearted. Helmut Kohlrabi isn't.
>
>==
>
>Hmmm if I do manage to grow any, I will sow only a small amount to test.

I really don't remember kohlrabi to have any heat at all. But it's
been a while since I grew and ate it. Maybe buy a bit to test first.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/24/2018 5:42 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Bruce"Â* wrote in message
> But raw radish is hot for the faint-hearted. Helmut Kohlrabi isn't.
>
> ==
>
> Hmmm if I do manage to grow any, I will sow only a small amount to test.

Kohlrabi is not at all hot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 09:47:49 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Sanne" wrote in message
>>
>>Am Sonntag, 23. Dezember 2018 14:46:19 UTC+1 schrieb Ophelia:

>>> It will be easier to find if you spell it 'kohlrabi'.
>>> It's easy to grow, and comes in different colours.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Does it taste like anything I am likely to know?

>>Cooked radish tastes surprisingly similar but doesn't turn into mush that
>>easily.
>>
>>Bye, Sanne.
>>
>>==
>>
>>Radish?? Oh heck, D. won't like that

>But raw radish is hot for the faint-hearted. Helmut Kohlrabi isn't.
>
>==
>
>Hmmm if I do manage to grow any, I will sow only a small amount to test.

I really don't remember kohlrabi to have any heat at all. But it's
been a while since I grew and ate it. Maybe buy a bit to test first.

===

Yes I though of that, but I don't remember seeing any in the shops. Although
even if I had, I doubt I would have taken any notice! I will now though

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 12/24/2018 5:42 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Bruce" wrote in message But raw radish is hot for the faint-hearted.
> Helmut Kohlrabi isn't.
>
> ==
>
> Hmmm if I do manage to grow any, I will sow only a small amount to test.

Kohlrabi is not at all hot.

==

Thanks) I might try to buy some though before I look to growing it. How
do you cook it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/24/2018 9:46 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "S Viemeister"Â* wrote in message ...
>
> On 12/24/2018 5:42 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Bruce"Â* wrote in message But raw radish is hot for the faint-hearted.
>> Helmut Kohlrabi isn't.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Hmmm if I do manage to grow any, I will sow only a small amount to test.
>>

> Kohlrabi is not at all hot.
>
> ==
>
> Thanks)Â* I might try to buy some though before I look to growing it.Â* How
> do you cook it?

I generally just add it to soup or stew.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 01:58:49 -0800 (PST), Sanne
> wrote:

>Am Montag, 24. Dezember 2018 10:47:59 UTC+1 schrieb Ophelia:
>> "Sanne" wrote in message
>>
>> Am Sonntag, 23. Dezember 2018 14:46:19 UTC+1 schrieb Ophelia:

>> > It will be easier to find if you spell it 'kohlrabi'.
>> > It's easy to grow, and comes in different colours.
>> >
>> > ==
>> >
>> > Does it taste like anything I am likely to know?

>> Cooked radish tastes surprisingly similar but doesn't turn into mush that
>> easily.
>>
>> Bye, Sanne.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Radish?? Oh heck, D. won't like that

>Don't tell him...
>Cooked radish isn't hot at all.
>
>Bye, Sanne.

Grated/shredded raw kohlrabi is very similar in flavor and texture to
jicama and rutabaga.... also peeled broccoli stems and cabbage hearts.
I rarely see kohlrabi in the produce section and when I do they're
large old tough ones and expensive, one pretty much needs to grow
their own... best when golf ball sized.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 12/24/2018 9:46 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "S Viemeister" wrote in message ...
>
> On 12/24/2018 5:42 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Bruce" wrote in message But raw radish is hot for the faint-hearted.
>> Helmut Kohlrabi isn't.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Hmmm if I do manage to grow any, I will sow only a small amount to test.
>>

> Kohlrabi is not at all hot.
>
> ==
>
> Thanks) I might try to buy some though before I look to growing it.
> How
> do you cook it?

I generally just add it to soup or stew.

==

You don't serve it just as a veg on the side?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/24/2018 11:39 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> You don't serve it just as a veg on the side?
> I never have.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 12/24/2018 11:39 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> You don't serve it just as a veg on the side?
> I never have.

=

Ok thanks. You don't think it would work like that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 S Viemeister wrote:
>On 12/24/2018 Ophelia wrote:
>
>> You don't serve it just as a veg on the side?
>> I never have.

They're good sliced/diced and steamed, with butter, s n'p... has the
texture of beets.... can be roasted whole like beets too. Kohlrabi is
a very bland vegetable, better in soups, or can be shredded and
dressed like slaw, or cut into sticks and use like crudites with a
dip.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/24/2018 1:10 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> Ok thanks.Â* You don't think it would work like that?

I don't see why not - but I think I'd have it mixed with something else
more colourful. It would look boring otherwise.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 12/24/2018 1:10 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> Ok thanks. You don't think it would work like that?

I don't see why not - but I think I'd have it mixed with something else
more colourful. It would look boring otherwise.

===

Sorry to be a pain .. but mix it with what?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "S Viemeister" wrote in message
> ... On 12/24/2018 1:10 PM,
> Ophelia wrote:
>
> > Ok thanks. You don't think it would work like that?

> I don't see why not - but I think I'd have it mixed with something
> else more colourful. It would look boring otherwise.
>
> ===
>
> Sorry to be a pain .. but mix it with what?

S Viemeister about 3 messages up replied with no quote at all. I think
it was Kohlrabi she meant but impossible to be sure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 15:51:14 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "S Viemeister" wrote in message
>> ... On 12/24/2018 1:10 PM,
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> > Ok thanks. You don't think it would work like that?

>> I don't see why not - but I think I'd have it mixed with something
>> else more colourful. It would look boring otherwise.
>>
>> ===
>>
>> Sorry to be a pain .. but mix it with what?

>S Viemeister about 3 messages up replied with no quote at all. I think
>it was Kohlrabi she meant but impossible to be sure.

Huh? The idea is to mix kohlrabi with more colourful vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/24/2018 4:15 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "S Viemeister"Â* wrote in message ...
> On 12/24/2018 1:10 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Ok thanks.Â* You don't think it would work like that?

> I don't see why not - but I think I'd have it mixed with something else
> more colourful. It would look boring otherwise.
>
> ===
>
> Sorry to be a pain .. but mix it with what?

Something green - broccoli, savoy cabbage, perhaps; something orange,
like carrots. I like my food to look pretty and Granny always said a
pretty presentation gives you a variety of nutrients, and is better for
you than a boring looking plate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/24/2018 5:07 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 15:51:14 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>> "S Viemeister" wrote in message
>>> ... On 12/24/2018 1:10 PM,
>>> Ophelia wrote:n
>>>
>>> I don't see why not - but I think I'd have it mixed with something
>>> else more colourful. It would look boring otherwise.
>>>
>>> ===
>>>
>>> Sorry to be a pain .. but mix it with what?

>> S Viemeister about 3 messages up replied with no quote at all. I think
>> it was Kohlrabi she meant but impossible to be sure.

> Huh? The idea is to mix kohlrabi with more colourful vegetables.

Yes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 09:47:49 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Sanne" wrote in message
>>
>>Am Sonntag, 23. Dezember 2018 14:46:19 UTC+1 schrieb Ophelia:

>>> It will be easier to find if you spell it 'kohlrabi'.
>>> It's easy to grow, and comes in different colours.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Does it taste like anything I am likely to know?

>>Cooked radish tastes surprisingly similar but doesn't turn into mush that
>>easily.
>>
>>Bye, Sanne.
>>
>>==
>>
>>Radish?? Oh heck, D. won't like that

>But raw radish is hot for the faint-hearted. Helmut Kohlrabi isn't.
>
>==
>
>Hmmm if I do manage to grow any, I will sow only a small amount to test.

I really don't remember kohlrabi to have any heat at all. But it's
been a while since I grew and ate it. Maybe buy a bit to test first.

=====

What do you think it tastes like? And how do you cook it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 12/24/2018 4:15 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "S Viemeister" wrote in message ...
> On 12/24/2018 1:10 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Ok thanks. You don't think it would work like that?

> I don't see why not - but I think I'd have it mixed with something else
> more colourful. It would look boring otherwise.
>
> ===
>
> Sorry to be a pain .. but mix it with what?

Something green - broccoli, savoy cabbage, perhaps; something orange,
like carrots. I like my food to look pretty and Granny always said a
pretty presentation gives you a variety of nutrients, and is better for
you than a boring looking plate.

===

Thanks That sounds good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister wrote:

> On 12/24/2018 4:15 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > "S Viemeister"Â* wrote in message
> > ... On 12/24/2018 1:10 PM,
> > Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > > Ok thanks.Â* You don't think it would work like that?

> > I don't see why not - but I think I'd have it mixed with something
> > else more colourful. It would look boring otherwise.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > Sorry to be a pain .. but mix it with what?

> Something green - broccoli, savoy cabbage, perhaps; something orange,
> like carrots. I like my food to look pretty and Granny always said a
> pretty presentation gives you a variety of nutrients, and is better
> for you than a boring looking plate.

Granny was right! I think of the colors as nature's way of saying
'this has different nutrition that you need'.

For our bigger meal with guests, it's too soon for other than the
mashed potatoes getting peeled here (took me a bit as I typed theis and
since my daughter peeled the potatoes). I'll start them up around 11
then put them in the crockpot to stay warm.

That frees up stovetop space for steamers and other things. Main Xmas
bread done as are the fun little desserty breadsticks and 2 types of
cookies. All veggies were prepped yesterday. Ham went in the oven
this morning and the duck was actually mostly cooked last night and now
is in the smoker on the back patio to finish off.

Breadmachine loaded and will be used to actually bake this time as the
oven is busy.

The ethan allen table is in place with plenty of chairs. The Chief
called yesterday and asked if I needed any last minute stuff. I told
him moving the table would be nice but it could be done as folks
arrived today and set then. He sent over 2 off going duty section guys
(volunteers) who were happy to do it and of course, I added an invite
to both but one had plans with his wife. The other will be back come
mealtime. 15 for dinner so dropped in both extra leaves in the table.

I'm free until about noon (other than checking duck/ham and I have
others doing that). At noon, I turn on the crockpot of stuffing, make
Cindy's sauce in seafood and veggie versions, start rice maker and load
steamers.

Carol, having fun here!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
"cshenk" wrote in message

S Viemeister wrote:

> On 12/24/2018 4:15 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > "S Viemeister" wrote in message
> > ... On 12/24/2018 1:10 PM,
> > Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > > Ok thanks. You don't think it would work like that?

> > I don't see why not - but I think I'd have it mixed with something
> > else more colourful. It would look boring otherwise.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > Sorry to be a pain .. but mix it with what?

> Something green - broccoli, savoy cabbage, perhaps; something orange,
> like carrots. I like my food to look pretty and Granny always said a
> pretty presentation gives you a variety of nutrients, and is better
> for you than a boring looking plate.

Granny was right! I think of the colors as nature's way of saying
'this has different nutrition that you need'.

For our bigger meal with guests, it's too soon for other than the
mashed potatoes getting peeled here (took me a bit as I typed theis and
since my daughter peeled the potatoes). I'll start them up around 11
then put them in the crockpot to stay warm.

That frees up stovetop space for steamers and other things. Main Xmas
bread done as are the fun little desserty breadsticks and 2 types of
cookies. All veggies were prepped yesterday. Ham went in the oven
this morning and the duck was actually mostly cooked last night and now
is in the smoker on the back patio to finish off.

Breadmachine loaded and will be used to actually bake this time as the
oven is busy.

The ethan allen table is in place with plenty of chairs. The Chief
called yesterday and asked if I needed any last minute stuff. I told
him moving the table would be nice but it could be done as folks
arrived today and set then. He sent over 2 off going duty section guys
(volunteers) who were happy to do it and of course, I added an invite
to both but one had plans with his wife. The other will be back come
mealtime. 15 for dinner so dropped in both extra leaves in the table.

I'm free until about noon (other than checking duck/ham and I have
others doing that). At noon, I turn on the crockpot of stuffing, make
Cindy's sauce in seafood and veggie versions, start rice maker and load
steamers.

Carol, having fun here!
==

Certainly sounds it) Have a lovely dinner and Christmas)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> S Viemeister wrote:
>
> > On 12/24/2018 4:15 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> > >

> >> "S Viemeister" wrote in message
> >> ... On 12/24/2018 1:10 PM,

> >> I don't see why not - but I think I'd have it mixed with something
> >> else more colourful. It would look boring otherwise.
> > >
> >> ===
> > >
> >> Sorry to be a pain .. but mix it with what?

> > Something green - broccoli, savoy cabbage, perhaps; something
> > orange, like carrots. I like my food to look pretty and Granny
> > always said a pretty presentation gives you a variety of nutrients,
> > and is better for you than a boring looking plate.

> Granny was right! I think of the colors as nature's way of saying
> 'this has different nutrition that you need'.
>
> For our bigger meal with guests, it's too soon for other than the
> mashed potatoes getting peeled here (took me a bit as I typed theis
> and since my daughter peeled the potatoes). I'll start them up
> around 11 then put them in the crockpot to stay warm.
>
> That frees up stovetop space for steamers and other things. Main Xmas
> bread done as are the fun little desserty breadsticks and 2 types of
> cookies. All veggies were prepped yesterday. Ham went in the oven
> this morning and the duck was actually mostly cooked last night and
> now is in the smoker on the back patio to finish off.
>
> Breadmachine loaded and will be used to actually bake this time as the
> oven is busy.
>
> The ethan allen table is in place with plenty of chairs. The Chief
> called yesterday and asked if I needed any last minute stuff. I told
> him moving the table would be nice but it could be done as folks
> arrived today and set then. He sent over 2 off going duty section
> guys (volunteers) who were happy to do it and of course, I added an
> invite to both but one had plans with his wife. The other will be
> back come mealtime. 15 for dinner so dropped in both extra leaves in
> the table.
>
> I'm free until about noon (other than checking duck/ham and I have
> others doing that). At noon, I turn on the crockpot of stuffing, make
> Cindy's sauce in seafood and veggie versions, start rice maker and
> load steamers.
>
> Carol, having fun here!
> ==
>

> Certainly sounds it) Have a lovely dinner and Christmas)

Having fun! Potatoes now going for mashed later.

Sylvia came over with her 2 extra crockpots. One going for the gravy.
About 3 quarts worth (maybe a little less). Soup bases heating. I
offlined the chicken and dumpling one as a bit much to handle and went
with a simple tomato-basil (doctored from some cans) and the vegetarian
one with colorful beans.

Grin, it sounds like chaos but isn't.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 09:21:22 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 10:42:36 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>Hmmm if I do manage to grow any, I will sow only a small amount to test.

>I really don't remember kohlrabi to have any heat at all. But it's
>been a while since I grew and ate it. Maybe buy a bit to test first.
>
>=====
>
>What do you think it tastes like? And how do you cook it?

We stir-fry pretty much everything. That's what I'd do with kohlrabi
too, but I think it's about as flexible as cabbage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 09:21:22 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 10:42:36 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>Hmmm if I do manage to grow any, I will sow only a small amount to test.

>I really don't remember kohlrabi to have any heat at all. But it's
>been a while since I grew and ate it. Maybe buy a bit to test first.
>
>=====
>
>What do you think it tastes like? And how do you cook it?

We stir-fry pretty much everything. That's what I'd do with kohlrabi
too, but I think it's about as flexible as cabbage.

==

Thanks)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Tue 25 Dec 2018 02:21:22a, Ophelia told us...
>

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
> > "Bruce" wrote in message
> >
> > On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 10:42:36 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:
> >

> > > "Bruce" wrote in message

> > > But raw radish is hot for the faint-hearted. Helmut Kohlrabi
> > > isn't.
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > Hmmm if I do manage to grow any, I will sow only a small amount to
> > > test.

> > I really don't remember kohlrabi to have any heat at all. But it's
> > been a while since I grew and ate it. Maybe buy a bit to test
> > first.
> >
> > =====
> >
> > What do you think it tastes like? And how do you cook it?
> >

> I think it tastes rather like turnips or the core of a cabbage.
> They all have just a bit of a bite.
>
> I've never actually cooked it. I usually slice it thinly and include
> it on a platter of rawa veggies as crudites.
>
> You could steam it or boil it, and I think it would turn out much
> like cooked turnips.

Pretty close! We did them match sticked with carrot bits.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 08:03:09 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
. 35.198...

>On Tue 25 Dec 2018 02:21:22a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> What do you think it tastes like? And how do you cook it?
>>

>I think it tastes rather like turnips or the core of a cabbage.
>They all have just a bit of a bite.
>
>asecI've never actually cooked it. I usually slice it thinly and include
>it on a platter of rawa veggies as crudites.
>
>You could steam it or boil it, and I think it would turn out much
>like cooked turnips.
>
>===
>
>Ahhh thanks very much for that! I doubt it will be for us in that case!

lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Tue 25 Dec 2018 02:21:22a, Ophelia told us...
>

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
> > "Bruce" wrote in message
> >
> > On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 10:42:36 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:
> >

> > > "Bruce" wrote in message

> > > But raw radish is hot for the faint-hearted. Helmut Kohlrabi
> > > isn't.
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > Hmmm if I do manage to grow any, I will sow only a small amount to
> > > test.

> > I really don't remember kohlrabi to have any heat at all. But it's
> > been a while since I grew and ate it. Maybe buy a bit to test
> > first.
> >
> > =====
> >
> > What do you think it tastes like? And how do you cook it?
> >

> I think it tastes rather like turnips or the core of a cabbage.
> They all have just a bit of a bite.
>
> I've never actually cooked it. I usually slice it thinly and include
> it on a platter of rawa veggies as crudites.
>
> You could steam it or boil it, and I think it would turn out much
> like cooked turnips.

Pretty close! We did them match sticked with carrot bits.

===

When you say 'turnips' would that be real turnip or swede?

"The rutabaga or swede differs from the turnip (Brassica rapa) in that it is
typically larger and yellow-orange rather than white. ... In the north of
England and Scotland, the larger, yellow rutabagas are called neeps or swede
from folk etymology, while the smaller white turnips are called turnips."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 08:03:09 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
. 35.198...

>On Tue 25 Dec 2018 02:21:22a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> What do you think it tastes like? And how do you cook it?
>>

>I think it tastes rather like turnips or the core of a cabbage.
>They all have just a bit of a bite.
>
>asecI've never actually cooked it. I usually slice it thinly and include
>it on a platter of rawa veggies as crudites.
>
>You could steam it or boil it, and I think it would turn out much
>like cooked turnips.
>
>===
>
>Ahhh thanks very much for that! I doubt it will be for us in that case!

lol

==

Thwap ;p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 10:39:10 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 08:03:09 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>
>>"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
.35.198...

>>On Tue 25 Dec 2018 02:21:22a, Ophelia told us...
>>
>>> What do you think it tastes like? And how do you cook it?
>>>

>>I think it tastes rather like turnips or the core of a cabbage.
>>They all have just a bit of a bite.
>>
>>asecI've never actually cooked it. I usually slice it thinly and include
>>it on a platter of rawa veggies as crudites.
>>
>>You could steam it or boil it, and I think it would turn out much
>>like cooked turnips.
>>
>>===
>>
>>Ahhh thanks very much for that! I doubt it will be for us in that case!

>lol
>
>==
>
>Thwap ;p

Sorry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 10:39:10 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 08:03:09 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>
>>"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
.35.198...

>>On Tue 25 Dec 2018 02:21:22a, Ophelia told us...
>>
>>> What do you think it tastes like? And how do you cook it?
>>>

>>I think it tastes rather like turnips or the core of a cabbage.
>>They all have just a bit of a bite.
>>
>>asecI've never actually cooked it. I usually slice it thinly and include
>>it on a platter of rawa veggies as crudites.
>>
>>You could steam it or boil it, and I think it would turn out much
>>like cooked turnips.
>>
>>===
>>
>>Ahhh thanks very much for that! I doubt it will be for us in that case!

>lol
>
>==
>
>Thwap ;p

Sorry

==

Don't be daft ;p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> > On Tue 25 Dec 2018 02:21:22a, Ophelia told us...
> >

> >> --
> >> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
> >> "Bruce" wrote in message
> > >
> >> On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 10:42:36 -0000, "Ophelia"

> to >> > test.
> > >
> >> I really don't remember kohlrabi to have any heat at all. But it's
> >> been a while since I grew and ate it. Maybe buy a bit to test
> >> first.
> > >
> >> =====
> > >
> >> What do you think it tastes like? And how do you cook it?
> > >

> > I think it tastes rather like turnips or the core of a cabbage.
> > They all have just a bit of a bite.
> >
> > I've never actually cooked it. I usually slice it thinly and
> > include it on a platter of rawa veggies as crudites.
> >
> > You could steam it or boil it, and I think it would turn out much
> > like cooked turnips.

> Pretty close! We did them match sticked with carrot bits.
>
> ===
>
> When you say 'turnips' would that be real turnip or swede?
>
> "The rutabaga or swede differs from the turnip (Brassica rapa) in
> that it is typically larger and yellow-orange rather than white. ...
> In the north of England and Scotland, the larger, yellow rutabagas
> are called neeps or swede from folk etymology, while the smaller
> white turnips are called turnips."

Sorry, no clue because I don't do turnips enough to really know swede
from turnip that you have there?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 17:14:58 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "cshenk" wrote in message
>>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> > On Tue 25 Dec 2018 02:21:22a, Ophelia told us...

>> to >> > test.

>> > I think it tastes rather like turnips or the core of a cabbage.
>> > They all have just a bit of a bite.
>> >
>> > I've never actually cooked it. I usually slice it thinly and
>> > include it on a platter of rawa veggies as crudites.
>> >
>> > You could steam it or boil it, and I think it would turn out much
>> > like cooked turnips.

>> Pretty close! We did them match sticked with carrot bits.
>>
>> ===
>>
>> When you say 'turnips' would that be real turnip or swede?
>>
>> "The rutabaga or swede differs from the turnip (Brassica rapa) in
>> that it is typically larger and yellow-orange rather than white. ...
>> In the north of England and Scotland, the larger, yellow rutabagas
>> are called neeps or swede from folk etymology, while the smaller
>> white turnips are called turnips."

>Sorry, no clue because I don't do turnips enough to really know swede
>from turnip that you have there?

turnips and rutabagas(swede) do not taste the same, IMO. Turnips have
more bite. Both, grown quickly, without hot weather, do not have a
fierce bite. We used to eat raw turnips in sandwiches or as one of
the crunchy sides with a meal. Rutabaga was always cooked and roughly
mashed and topped with a dollop of butter. Both are very expensive
here -- if you can find them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> > On Tue 25 Dec 2018 02:21:22a, Ophelia told us...
> >

> >> --
> >> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
> >> "Bruce" wrote in message
> > >
> >> On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 10:42:36 -0000, "Ophelia"

> to >> > test.
> > >
> >> I really don't remember kohlrabi to have any heat at all. But it's
> >> been a while since I grew and ate it. Maybe buy a bit to test
> >> first.
> > >
> >> =====
> > >
> >> What do you think it tastes like? And how do you cook it?
> > >

> > I think it tastes rather like turnips or the core of a cabbage.
> > They all have just a bit of a bite.
> >
> > I've never actually cooked it. I usually slice it thinly and
> > include it on a platter of rawa veggies as crudites.
> >
> > You could steam it or boil it, and I think it would turn out much
> > like cooked turnips.

> Pretty close! We did them match sticked with carrot bits.
>
> ===
>
> When you say 'turnips' would that be real turnip or swede?
>
> "The rutabaga or swede differs from the turnip (Brassica rapa) in
> that it is typically larger and yellow-orange rather than white. ...
> In the north of England and Scotland, the larger, yellow rutabagas
> are called neeps or swede from folk etymology, while the smaller
> white turnips are called turnips."

Sorry, no clue because I don't do turnips enough to really know swede
from turnip that you have there?

===

As it says there ... turnips are white while swede is light brown yellowish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

>> When you say 'turnips' would that be real turnip or swede?
>>
>> "The rutabaga or swede differs from the turnip (Brassica rapa) in
>> that it is typically larger and yellow-orange rather than white. ...
>> In the north of England and Scotland, the larger, yellow rutabagas
>> are called neeps or swede from folk etymology, while the smaller
>> white turnips are called turnips."

>Sorry, no clue because I don't do turnips enough to really know swede
>from turnip that you have there?

turnips and rutabagas(swede) do not taste the same, IMO. Turnips have
more bite. Both, grown quickly, without hot weather, do not have a
fierce bite. We used to eat raw turnips in sandwiches or as one of
the crunchy sides with a meal. Rutabaga was always cooked and roughly
mashed and topped with a dollop of butter. Both are very expensive
here -- if you can find them.

==

That is a surprise! They are common here and cheap. Yes turnip do have
bite. We prefer swedes mashed with butter

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 19:02:12 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>turnips and rutabagas(swede) do not taste the same, IMO. Turnips have
>more bite. Both, grown quickly, without hot weather, do not have a
>fierce bite. We used to eat raw turnips in sandwiches or as one of
>the crunchy sides with a meal. Rutabaga was always cooked and roughly
>mashed and topped with a dollop of butter. Both are very expensive
>here -- if you can find them.

I am a big fan of mashed rutabaga.I sometimes add a slight dust of
freshly ground nutmeg to the butter and half & half I use on them.

I can find them around here, usually starting in November. They used
to be popular in these parts as a Thanksgiving side and would be used
as a cheap loss leader the way cabbage is around March 17th. Not any
more. This year they were 99 cents a pound and not all stores had them
and the ones they had looked the worse for wear.