Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Default Are Dollar Stores Really Driving Grocers Out of Business?

http://reason.com/archives/2018/12/1...riving-grocers

Are Dollar Stores Really Driving Grocers Out of Business?

Dollar stores are the latest target of advocates who want to improve food offerings by limiting them

Baylen Linnekin | December 15, 2018

"Earlier this month, the Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR), a nonprofit advocacy group with offices in Minneapolis, Maine, and Washington, D.C., that "challenges concentrated economic and political power, and instead champions an approach in which ownership is broadly distributed, institutions are humanly scaled, and decision-making is accountable to communities," released research meant to push back against the spread of dollar stores, which the group argues are "targeting struggling urban neighborhoods and small towns."

Generally, dollar stores are mid-sized retails stores that sell "a wide range of inexpensive household goods."

The ILSR research focuses largely on the sale of what it deems substandard groceries by dollar stores, criticizes their spread as the cause and effect of economic malaise, and urges cities and towns "to check the[] spread" of dollar stores through local legislation. Steps the ILSR urges cities and towns to take include setting limits on chains, creating buffer zones around existing stores (of the sort food trucks have often endured in many cities), increasing red tape, and subsidizing locally owned groceries.

The research makes several assumptions that don't stand up to scrutiny.

First, it argues that dollar stores are both the cause and effect of what ails grocery markets in many cities and towns. It argues dollar stores are "both a symptom of larger economic trends and a cause of additional economic despair." It's not by any means impossible for a phenomenon to serve as both cause and effect, but the respective cause and effect this research identifies€”dollar stores put grocers out of business and "dollar stores concentrate in areas that already have few or no grocery stores"€”seem at odds with one another.

Second, one of the main criticisms the research lobs at dollar stores is that dollar stores don't sell fresh meat or produce. They do, however, offer varying degrees of canned and/or frozen meats and produce. There's nothing innate to fresh foods that is superior to canned and frozen alternatives of the same foods. Consider, for example, that dollar stores sell frozen meats, canned vegetables, condiments, and other arguably health foods. They sell $1 steaks. Dollar Tree offers some great canned foods. One Florida State University student wrote about the "ridiculously good meals" she made during a week in which she only bought food only at the Dollar Store.

Third, it quotes Tulsa city councilor Vanessa Hall-Harper, who helped develop legislation to limit dollar stores, who says a Sav-A-Lot grocery in her district closed because of incompetence on the part of management and/or the licensee, rather than because of competition from dollar stores. That would seem to undermine the premise behind ILSR's research.

(Notably, Hall-Harper's North Tulsa district is not completely devoid of places where residents may buy fresh produce. According to a recent report on farmers markets in Tulsa, the northern part of the city is home to an urban farm and is served weekly by a roving truck that sells low-priced fresh produce.)

Fourth, it argues that a dollar store in Moville, Iowa, put a grocer there, Chet's Foods, out of business. Yet the report also notes that "residents were still buying most of their groceries from Chet's" and the store closed anyway. In an email to me this week, Stacy Mitchell, ILSR Co-Director and co-author of the research, explains that fixed costs likely doomed Chet's in the end. "As a large company, Dollar General can lose money at a new location for a much longer period (making it up elsewhere in the chain)," Mitchell also adds. That makes sense. "I think this is something libertarians don't really wrestle with. Big companies can 'win' competition not by virtue of being better or more popular, but by virtue of being larger. Is that the best outcome?"

Maybe. Maybe not. But if Chet's or any other grocer's business model rests on margins so slim it will fail in the face of any competition, that business won't be able to withstand competition from anyone€”be it a dollar store, a mom-and-pop corner shop, or another grocer.

Fifth, the research details how dollar stores are now selling more food than is Whole Foods. That sounds like a startling number until you consider, as the report indicates, that the two largest dollar store chains€”Dollar Tree and Dollar General€”now boast nearly 30,000 total locations across the United States. Whole Foods has fewer than 500 locations across the country.

That means there are at least around 25,500 more dollar stores in this country than there are Whole Foods stores. I asked Mitchell about the comparison.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 4:07:34 PM UTC-6, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Friends of mine and I have said many times that we would not shop in
> a "dollar store" if they paid us to. They carry nothing but cheap
> crap, as well as a lot of out of date food products.

Not necessarily true. Dollar Tree is great for all sorts of disposable
aluminum ware of course priced at $1. They're great for picnics, family
get togethers, whatever. No worry if you bring a nice dish will you get
it back. Packets of thank you cards, 20 ounce Styrofoam cups, name brand
shampoo and body wash, etc.. Last year I picked up about a dozen boxes of
Christmas cards and envelopes for 50¢ each. Very, very nice cards, too.

Is it my go-to store for groceries, no, but it's great for lots everyday
items that there's no need to pay a fortune for at regular stores.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-15 5:07 p.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> Dollar stores, especially Dollar General, are located in areas not
>> served by supermarkets or, Dollar Tree, which locates near sizable
>> pockets of poor. The Dollar Tree not far from me has a large
>> customer base of people who walk or bus there, rather than shop at
>> several supermarket within 4 miles. It will be interesting to see
>> what happens to that Dollar Tree when a recently announced Aldi
>> opens next door.
>>

> Friends of mine and I have said many times that we would not shop in
> a "dollar store" if they paid us to. They carry nothing but cheap
> crap, as well as a lot of out of date food products.

Sometimes you need to shop at Dollar stores to get things that you can't
find anywhere else. One of my duties with the local art festival is to
run the wine bar. I go to the dollar store for plastic wine glasses.
They are much cheaper there than they are anywhere else, and they are
the only place that sells them in the quantity that I need (500). I also
bought a motorcycle helmet lock there fir $1.50.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 4:07:34 PM UTC-6, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Friends of mine and I have said many times that we would not shop in
> a "dollar store" if they paid us to. They carry nothing but cheap
> crap, as well as a lot of out of date food products.

Not necessarily true. Dollar Tree is great for all sorts of disposable
aluminum ware of course priced at $1. They're great for picnics, family
get togethers, whatever. No worry if you bring a nice dish will you get
it back. Packets of thank you cards, 20 ounce Styrofoam cups, name brand
shampoo and body wash, etc.. Last year I picked up about a dozen boxes of
Christmas cards and envelopes for 50¢ each. Very, very nice cards, too.

Is it my go-to store for groceries, no, but it's great for lots everyday
items that there's no need to pay a fortune for at regular stores.

+++++++++++++

Very true. I love Dollar Tree for things like that. Fortunately the local
one is about a block from me.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 12:20:49 AM UTC-6, Cheri wrote:

> Is it my go-to store for groceries, no, but it's great for lots everyday
> items that there's no need to pay a fortune for at regular stores.
>
> +++++++++++++
>
> Very true. I love Dollar Tree for things like that. Fortunately the local
> one is about a block from me.
>
> Cheri

I would probably be in a lot of trouble if one was that close to me. Ha!
They stock a nice supply of 'medicine cabinet' items as well. Band-aids,
aspirin, house-brand of Gold Bond powder, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 21:01:22 GMT, l not -l wrote:

> On 15-Dec-2018, GM > wrote:
>
>> http://reason.com/archives/2018/12/1...riving-grocers
>>
>> Are Dollar Stores Really Driving Grocers Out of Business?

> That isn't the case here in STL.

That's the most ridiculous notion I've ever heard. All the dollor
stores are within a half mile of a grocery store, often in the same
shopping centers. And their selection of food is shit - its' all
frozen except for milk and a few cold drinks.

The author of that POS obviously lives in Podunk. And the guy who
posted it is also a POS.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2018 2:38 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

> That's the most ridiculous notion I've ever heard. All the dollor
> stores are within a half mile of a grocery store, often in the same
> shopping centers. And their selection of food is shit - its' all
> frozen except for milk and a few cold drinks.

They are opening more supermarkets where I live. A new Shop Rite,
a Food Emporium, a Lidl (?) and my town is getting a Wegman's.
If anyone goes out of business, that's why.

A few years back there was a story about some guy who lost 100 lbs
by walking to the dollar store every meal and getting his food
there. Say what? Then they showed his dollar store, they had
fresh produce. This is nothing like the dollar stores in my
neck of the woods.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2018 9:06 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

> They are opening more supermarkets where I live.Â* A new Shop Rite,
> a Food Emporium, a Lidl (?) and my town is getting a Wegman's.
> If anyone goes out of business, that's why.
> nancy

Wegman's is my favorite. Check them out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2018 9:51 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/16/2018 9:06 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> They are opening more supermarkets where I live.Â* A new Shop Rite,
>> a Food Emporium, a Lidl (?) and my town is getting a Wegman's.
>> If anyone goes out of business, that's why.
>> nancy

> Wegman's is my favorite.Â* Check them out.

We have a couple others around, it is a really nice store, agreed.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Nancy Young wrote:

> On 12/16/2018 2:38 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > That's the most ridiculous notion I've ever heard. All the dollor
> > stores are within a half mile of a grocery store, often in the same
> > shopping centers. And their selection of food is shit - its' all
> > frozen except for milk and a few cold drinks.

> They are opening more supermarkets where I live. A new Shop Rite,
> a Food Emporium, a Lidl (?) and my town is getting a Wegman's.
> If anyone goes out of business, that's why.

Yup...

I am interested in hearing about that Lidl, report back if you eventually visit...

> A few years back there was a story about some guy who lost 100 lbs
> by walking to the dollar store every meal and getting his food
> there. Say what? Then they showed his dollar store, they had
> fresh produce. This is nothing like the dollar stores in my
> neck of the woods.

No produce at the ones here, but they carry plenty of pantry staples and some decent frozen items, e.g. fruit and an Asian veg blend that I like...

I also get all my plastic containers, odds 'n ends kitchen stuff, greeting cards, etc. at the Dollar Tree...and that store has fantastic customer service, very nice peeps working there...

I donate to a local shelter, I can get case lots of decent toiletries very cheaply, especially when they have $4.95 flat fee shipping...right now they have $1.00 flate fee shipping, I just ordered some stuff to ship:

https://www.dollartree.com/flat-rate-shipping

"$1.00 Flat-Rate Shipping Offer Restrictions

Offer valid 12/13/2018 at 11:50pm ET through 12/18/2018 at 12:50am ET

Offer is valid for UPS ground shipping only (approx. 4-5 days for delivery).
No promotion code required. If you choose to have your order shipped via UPS Ground, the $1 flat rate will be applied automatically to your order, however certain restrictions apply..."

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> On 12/16/2018 2:38 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > That's the most ridiculous notion I've ever heard. All the dollor
> > stores are within a half mile of a grocery store, often in the same
> > shopping centers. And their selection of food is shit - its' all
> > frozen except for milk and a few cold drinks.

> They are opening more supermarkets where I live. A new Shop Rite,
> a Food Emporium, a Lidl (?) and my town is getting a Wegman's.
> If anyone goes out of business, that's why.
>
> A few years back there was a story about some guy who lost 100 lbs
> by walking to the dollar store every meal and getting his food
> there. Say what? Then they showed his dollar store, they had
> fresh produce. This is nothing like the dollar stores in my
> neck of the woods.
>
> nancy

Here I don't see any with fresh produce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> On 12/16/2018 2:38 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> > That's the most ridiculous notion I've ever heard. All the dollor
>> > stores are within a half mile of a grocery store, often in the same
>> > shopping centers. And their selection of food is shit - its' all
>> > frozen except for milk and a few cold drinks.

>> They are opening more supermarkets where I live. A new Shop Rite,
>> a Food Emporium, a Lidl (?) and my town is getting a Wegman's.
>> If anyone goes out of business, that's why.
>>
>> A few years back there was a story about some guy who lost 100 lbs
>> by walking to the dollar store every meal and getting his food
>> there. Say what? Then they showed his dollar store, they had
>> fresh produce. This is nothing like the dollar stores in my
>> neck of the woods.
>>
>> nancy

> Here I don't see any with fresh produce.

None here either, but the .99 store has fresh produce and it is about 3
miles away, so I am covered.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pamela" > wrote in message

> I wonder if Aldi in the US is different to Aldi in the UK.

Yes, ours are better. LOL

Cheri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

---------

>Very true. I love Dollar Tree for things like that. Fortunately the local
>one is about a block from me.
>
>Cheri

The 99¢ Store I go to is great for holiday decorations, gift wrapping
paper bows ribbon, all sorts of inexpensive hardware, they sell a lot
of school supplies, I buy my large desk calender there each year. I
stop in often, there are always things I can use, I recently bought a
bundle of snow plowing markers for my driveway. A lot of what they
sell is crap quality too like tools, electrical items and such so I
don't buy those, but I don't care that their gift wrapping items and
cards are not Hallmark quality, they're used once and go in the trash.
They sell the same brands of wild bird food as Agway at less than half
the price... the same suet blocks are three for 99¢ that Agway sells
for $1 each. The 99¢ Store doesn't beat BJs for cleaning supplies,
their cleaning fluids are watered down, BJ's are full strength and are
sold in gallon jugs; Windex, Soft Soap, Dawn, etc. are full strength
at BJs and cost a lot less in bulk sizes. The 99¢ store is better
than the big box stores for potting soil, peat pots and a lot of other
gardening supplies. Each person has to decide for themself if they
really need the best quality for a particular use, I know I would
never buy a screw driver or an extension cord at the 99¢ Store... but
for a packet of thumbtacks or a roll of transparent tape the 99¢ Store
is fine... why pay triple for Scotch brand tape when it'll only be
used once.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On 15-Dec-2018, GM > wrote:
>>
>>> http://reason.com/archives/2018/12/1...really-driving
>>> -grocers
>>>
>>> Are Dollar Stores Really Driving Grocers Out of Business?

>> That isn't the case here in STL.

>Does that mean you're in the same city as John Kuthe?
>
>> Within the past month, our long-time
>> nomber 3 regional chain, Shop 'n' Save, went out of business. Shop 'n
>> Save served the lower economic class, and the reason given for their
>> demise was a significant loss of their customer base to Walmart and
>> Aldi. The other two regional chains, serving mid and upper economic
>> customers, have seen little impact from Walmart and Aldi.
>>
>> Dollar stores, especially Dollar General, are located in areas not
>> served by supermarkets or, Dollar Tree, which locates near sizable
>> pockets of poor. The Dollar Tree not far from me has a large customer
>> base of people who walk or bus there, rather than shop at several
>> supermarket within 4 miles. It will be interesting to see what
>> happens to that Dollar Tree when a recently announced Aldi opens next
>> door.

>I wonder if Aldi in the US is different to Aldi in the UK.

Sweeter and fattier.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 7:28:31 AM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> One of my favorites is a cleaner, Amazingly Awesome, that is better than
> any of the high priced sprays.

You must get a different batch as to what's sold in the stores here. I tried
a bottle on the recommendation of a customer in the store. Sorry, but it was
truly worthless. I should have not expected much in the way of cleaning
ability for $1. That being said, my go-to cleaner is half store brand window
cleaner mixed with half non-sudsy ammonia. Now that's a true crud cutter, but
potent smelling for sure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Sat 15 Dec 2018 02:01:22p, l not -l told us...
>

>> On 15-Dec-2018, GM > wrote:
>>
>>> http://reason.com/archives/2018/12/1...res-really-dri
>>> ving-grocers
>>>
>>> Are Dollar Stores Really Driving Grocers Out of Business?>

(snippage)
> Friends of mine and I have said many times that we would not shop in
> a "dollar store" if they paid us to. They carry nothing but cheap
> crap, as well as a lot of out of date food products.

I buy things like toilet paper and cleaning products at the dollar
store. I doubt that will drive any grocery store out of business.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2018 9:06 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 12/16/2018 2:38 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> That's the most ridiculous notion I've ever heard.Â* All the dollor
>> stores are within a half mile of a grocery store, often in the same
>> shopping centers.Â* And their selection of food is shit - its' all
>> frozen except for milk and a few cold drinks.

> They are opening more supermarkets where I live.Â* A new Shop Rite,
> a Food Emporium, a Lidl (?) and my town is getting a Wegman's.
> If anyone goes out of business, that's why.
>
> A few years back there was a story about some guy who lost 100 lbs
> by walking to the dollar store every meal and getting his food
> there.Â* Say what?Â* Then they showed his dollar store, they had
> fresh produce.Â* This is nothing like the dollar stores in my
> neck of the woods.
>
> nancy

I've never seen fresh produce at a dollar store, regardless of the name
on the storefront.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2018 4:47 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Pamela" > wrote in message
>
>> I wonder if Aldi in the US is different to Aldi in the UK.

> Yes, ours are better. LOL
>
> Cheri

But they don't accept Euros for payment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 21:39:46 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 12/16/2018 4:47 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Pamela" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I wonder if Aldi in the US is different to Aldi in the UK.

>> Yes, ours are better. LOL
>>
>> Cheri

>But they don't accept Euros for payment.

Cheri's so competetive. She just doesn't dig the Christmas spirit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 15-Dec-2018, GM > wrote:
>
>> http://reason.com/archives/2018/12/1...riving-grocers
>>
>> Are Dollar Stores Really Driving Grocers Out of Business?

> That isn't the case here in STL. Within the past month, our long-time
> nomber 3 regional chain, Shop 'n' Save, went out of business. Shop 'n
> Save
> served the lower economic class, and the reason given for their demise was
> significant loss of their customer base to Walmart and Aldi. The other
> two
> regional chains, serving mid and upper economic customers, have seen
> little
> impact from Walmart and Aldi.
>
> Dollar stores, especially Dollar General, are located in areas not served
> by
> supermarkets or, Dollar Tree, which locates near sizable pockets of poor.
> The Dollar Tree not far from me has a large customer base of people who
> walk
> or bus there, rather than shop at several supermarket within 4 miles. It
> will be interesting to see what happens to that Dollar Tree when a
> recently
> announced Aldi opens next door.

When we lived on Staten Island, I sometimes shopped at Family Dollar for
groceries. I do remember buying olive as they were cheaper there. Don't
remember buying too much in the way of food.

Here, we mainly have Dollar Tree. I have bought shelf stable milk there.
Canned chili. Sometimes candy or cookies but most of the food stuff IMO
isn't very good or is less expensive at the grocery store. I mainly go there
for greeting cards, seasonal decorations, storage baskets and other non-food
things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.198...

> Friends of mine and I have said many times that we would not shop in
> a "dollar store" if they paid us to. They carry nothing but cheap
> crap, as well as a lot of out of date food products.

Dollar Tree doesn't sell expired food and not everything they sell is crap,
but IMO some is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 4:07:34 PM UTC-6, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Friends of mine and I have said many times that we would not shop in
> a "dollar store" if they paid us to. They carry nothing but cheap
> crap, as well as a lot of out of date food products.

Not necessarily true. Dollar Tree is great for all sorts of disposable
aluminum ware of course priced at $1. They're great for picnics, family
get togethers, whatever. No worry if you bring a nice dish will you get
it back. Packets of thank you cards, 20 ounce Styrofoam cups, name brand
shampoo and body wash, etc.. Last year I picked up about a dozen boxes of
Christmas cards and envelopes for 50¢ each. Very, very nice cards, too.

Is it my go-to store for groceries, no, but it's great for lots everyday
items that there's no need to pay a fortune for at regular stores.

---

Ours have Hallmark cards now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 6:08:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 7:28:31 AM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >
> > One of my favorites is a cleaner, Amazingly Awesome, that is better than
> > any of the high priced sprays.
> >

> You must get a different batch as to what's sold in the stores here. I tried
> a bottle on the recommendation of a customer in the store. Sorry, but it was
> truly worthless. I should have not expected much in the way of cleaning
> ability for $1. That being said, my go-to cleaner is half store brand window
> cleaner mixed with half non-sudsy ammonia. Now that's a true crud cutter, but
> potent smelling for sure.

Yeah, I couldn't tolerate that. My homemade cleaner is 50/50 rubbing alcohol
and water.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
news

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.198...
>
>> Friends of mine and I have said many times that we would not shop in
>> a "dollar store" if they paid us to. They carry nothing but cheap
>> crap, as well as a lot of out of date food products.

> Dollar Tree doesn't sell expired food and not everything they sell is
> crap, but IMO some is.

No, they don't, and no it isn't. Just another story from somebody who
doesn't shop there, doesn't know much about the store etc.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-17 3:11 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:

>> Friends of mine and I have said many times that we would not shop in
>> a "dollar store" if they paid us to.Â* They carry nothing but cheap
>> crap, as well as a lot of out of date food products.
>>

> Not necessarily true.Â* Dollar Tree is great for all sorts of disposable
> aluminum ware of course priced at $1.Â* They're great for picnics, family
> get togethers, whatever.Â* No worry if you bring a nice dish will you get
> it back.Â* Packets of thank you cards, 20 ounce Styrofoam cups, name brand
> shampoo and body wash, etc..Â* Last year I picked up about a dozen boxes of
> Christmas cards and envelopes for 50¢ each.Â* Very, very nice cards, too.

You can't beat them for plastic wine glasses for big events. That's
where I get them for the art festival wine bar. Even the local wineries
go to them for plastic glasses at big events.

You may have cheaper options that plastic and other disposables. When I
threw a big party for my wife a couple years ago I went to a local
rental company. I rented tables, chairs, flatware and glasses and I was
surprised at how cheap it was. Plates and flatware were cheaper than
disposables. The only problem was logistics because you pick them up
no sooner than the previous day and return them the next business day.
You don't have to wash them. Just put the dirty stuff back in the bins
and return them to the store and they wash them. I had rented 60
glasses. Two got broken, and we were not charged for the loss.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2018 9:21 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/16/2018 9:06 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> A few years back there was a story about some guy who lost 100 lbs
>> by walking to the dollar store every meal and getting his food
>> there.Â* Say what?Â* Then they showed his dollar store, they had
>> fresh produce.Â* This is nothing like the dollar stores in my
>> neck of the woods.

> I've never seen fresh produce at a dollar store, regardless of the name
> on the storefront.

It's not as if I've taken a tour of the area's dollar stores
but the few I visited carried limited food. Because of something
mentioned here I'd checked out the refrigerated section and it
was slim pickings. Canned food and snack food, otherwise. Even
if it's a long walk, I would not want to lose weight eating only
what they had to offer.

But they showed pictures of where the guy shopped and yes, there
was produce. Probably in California.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On 21:01 15 Dec 2018, "l not -l" > wrote in
> :
> > Dollar stores, especially Dollar General, are located in areas not
> > served by supermarkets or, Dollar Tree, which locates near sizable
> > pockets of poor. The Dollar Tree not far from me has a large customer
> > base of people who walk or bus there, rather than shop at several
> > supermarket within 4 miles. It will be interesting to see what
> > happens to that Dollar Tree when a recently announced Aldi opens next
> > door.

If US Dollar stores are like our Pound Shops, everything is the same
price, one pound/dollar. Pound shops here don't sell fresh food.

ALDI isn't a pound shop ; their stock is far more varied at a range
of prices.

ALDI Fresh fruit and veg are great quality, variety and low prices. Raw
British meat can be good value but a lot of it is frozen and I don't buy
frozen meat.

They do some nice European pickles and preserves jars, always worth a
look.

The household /car/ tools/clothes section is very variable both in
quality price and availability. More often cheap trash than good buys
IMO.

Janet UK.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 5:16:06 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 6:08:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> >
> > my go-to cleaner is half store brand window
> > cleaner mixed with half non-sudsy ammonia. Now that's a true crud cutter, but
> > potent smelling for sure.

> Yeah, I couldn't tolerate that. My homemade cleaner is 50/50 rubbing alcohol
> and water.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Thankfully, ammonia smell dissipates quickly or I'd be laying in a dead faint
in the floor regularly. Har-har-har. But does it every just melt that nasty cooking residue off the range hood!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 12/16/2018 9:21 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 12/16/2018 9:06 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> A few years back there was a story about some guy who lost 100 lbs
>>> by walking to the dollar store every meal and getting his food
>>> there. Say what? Then they showed his dollar store, they had
>>> fresh produce. This is nothing like the dollar stores in my
>>> neck of the woods.

>> I've never seen fresh produce at a dollar store, regardless of the name
>> on the storefront.

> It's not as if I've taken a tour of the area's dollar stores
> but the few I visited carried limited food. Because of something
> mentioned here I'd checked out the refrigerated section and it
> was slim pickings. Canned food and snack food, otherwise. Even
> if it's a long walk, I would not want to lose weight eating only
> what they had to offer.
>
> But they showed pictures of where the guy shopped and yes, there
> was produce. Probably in California.
>
> nancy

Well, I think there are Dollar General Stores, Dollar Tree Stores, and
Family Dollar Stores. I believe the Dollar General Stores and Family Dollar
Stores carry fresh produce, but then many things cost a lot more than a
dollar there too. Our Dollar Tree does not carry fresh produce, lots of
frozen veggies (never buy TJ Farms anything in veggies or fruit terrible
quality) and canned veggies though.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2018 2:32 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

>>> I've never seen fresh produce at a dollar store, regardless of the
>>> name on the storefront.

>> It's not as if I've taken a tour of the area's dollar stores
>> but the few I visited carried limited food.* Because of something
>> mentioned here I'd checked out the refrigerated section and it
>> was slim pickings.* Canned food and snack food, otherwise.* Even
>> if it's a long walk, I would not want to lose weight eating only
>> what they had to offer.
>>
>> But they showed pictures of where the guy shopped and yes, there
>> was produce.* Probably in California.
>>
>> nancy

> Well, I think there are Dollar General Stores, Dollar Tree Stores, and
> Family Dollar Stores. I believe the Dollar General Stores and Family
> Dollar Stores carry fresh produce, but then many things cost a lot more
> than a dollar there too. Our Dollar Tree does not carry fresh produce,
> lots of frozen veggies (never buy TJ Farms anything in veggies or fruit
> terrible quality) and canned veggies though.
>
> Cheri

There's a Family Dollar about 6 miles from my house. (No, not
everything is a dollar and I believe Dollar Tree owns them now). They
don't carry fresh anything. It's only in the last few years they
started stocking frozen veggies (Pictsweet Farms brand) and the variety
is very limited. They do stock a lot of canned vegetables. I have no
problem buying canned beans for soup (Bush's is the brand I see most
often). It's a good place to buy things like toilet paper, paper towels
and laundry detergent. Name brands, cheaper than at the grocery store
and much closer to boot.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Sun 16 Dec 2018 05:12:24p, jmcquown told us...
>
>> On 12/15/2018 5:07 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Sat 15 Dec 2018 02:01:22p, l not -l told us...

>> (snippage)
>>> Friends of mine and I have said many times that we would not shop
>>> in a "dollar store" if they paid us to. They carry nothing but
>>> cheap crap, as well as a lot of out of date food products.
>>>

>> I buy things like toilet paper and cleaning products at the dollar
>> store. I doubt that will drive any grocery store out of business.
>>
>> Jill

> We buy paper products, lanudry and cleaning supplies, and some foods
> at Costco. We buy mostly name-brand products, although some of the
> Costco branded products are quite good.

I'd have to drive to another state to go to Costco. LOL

> "Dollar Stores" have co-existed with supermarkets, groery stores,
> and big box stores for at least 20 years here in the Phoenix area.
> I don't see them gong away.

Nope, grocery stores aren't going away. Neither are the so-called
dollar stores.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Nancy Young wrote:

> same >>> shopping centers. And their selection of food is shit -
> its' all >>> frozen except for milk and a few cold drinks.
> > >
> > > They are opening more supermarkets where I live. A new Shop Rite,
> > > a Food Emporium, a Lidl (?) and my town is getting a Wegman's.
> > > If anyone goes out of business, that's why.
> > >
> > > A few years back there was a story about some guy who lost 100 lbs
> > > by walking to the dollar store every meal and getting his food
> > > there. Say what? Then they showed his dollar store, they had
> > > fresh produce. This is nothing like the dollar stores in my
> > > neck of the woods.
> > >
> > > nancy

> > Here I don't see any with fresh produce.

> None here either, but the .99 store has fresh produce and it is about
> 3 miles away, so I am covered.
>
> Cheri

We have several 'dollar store types' (like .99 sorts) but none that i
hvae seen sell produce. It could be some difference in requirements
here for fresh produce?

Just like a few states don't sell beer or wine at other than their
'ABC' type places. Here its sold at 7-11 type places, many drug stores
and I;m not aware of a grocery that doesn't sell some types locally.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-17 4:23 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

> There's a Family Dollar about 6 miles from my house.Â* (No, not
> everything is a dollar and I believe Dollar Tree owns them now).Â* They
> don't carry fresh anything.Â* It's only in the last few years they
> started stocking frozen veggies (Pictsweet Farms brand) and the variety
> is very limited.Â* They do stock a lot of canned vegetables.Â* I have no
> problem buying canned beans for soup (Bush's is the brand I see most
> often).Â* It's a good place to buy things like toilet paper, paper towels
> and laundry detergent.Â* Name brands, cheaper than at the grocery store
> and much closer to boot.

I walked past a Dollar Store today. I guess inflation has hit. A sign on
the front window said everything is $1.25.